[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Road Trip: Last Minute Advice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: 2016-12-21 17.18.08.png (130KB, 515x465px) Image search: [Google]
2016-12-21 17.18.08.png
130KB, 515x465px
My family and I are leaving on Christmas day to San Francisco and we will be back before the end of the year. This is my first long haul road trip and I am not sure what to expect. Pic related is of the possible route we are taking.

Any tips on what should I expect on my way over there? What are Arizona and New Mexico like?
>>
>>1194620
>New Mexico
Hilly, hope your car is ready. South New Mexico you should fill up every major town possible same with Arizona

>Arizona
The route you are taking is a lot like mexico, The route you're going is flat and not a lot inbetween. Tuscon is pretty okay but stay away from the south side

I live in arizona drove both states and been to LA/SF. That route is a whole lot of nothing
>>
>>1194620
On I-8, get gas in Yuma, AZ before you cross into CA as its much more expensive there.

Just across the CA border is a big dune field which is neat. You can see the Mexican border fence from the highway in places, just a mile or two away.
>>
>>1194705
Also I-8 is going to be fucking busy in the mountains between San Diego and El Centro this time of year. There is a border patrol checkpoint that backs up traffic even on non-busy days so good luck.
>>
>>1194706
I-8 that bad with the check? I usually take the 10 but I live in Phoenix, usually the stop is just to check if you are white
>>
>>1194710
I used to live near Nogales and went through checkpoints all the time, they just wave you through.
On I-8 every single car stops and they ask a question like "where are you traveling to?"
There are only two lanes (each way) on that stretch of the highway with plenty of semi trucks so it takes much longer than any other checkpoint I've been through.
>>
Take highway 1 instead of I-5 in California. Cmon son
>>
6 days to get from San Antonio to San Francisco and back? No way, unless you're planing to turn right back around and not see anything
>>
>>1194813
>>1194739
OP here. Pic related is only a proposed route. I have no idea what roads we are taking.

Highway 1 does sound neat tbqh

>>1194706
Is I-10 any better?

>>1194705
I agree. Gas in CA is too expensive.
>>
>>1194620
>What are Arizona and New Mexico like

Genuinely shitty. Especially in the south. Stop only for gas and move on.
>>
>>1194706
I just drove from Phoenix to San Diego two days ago. That checkpoint was closed. OP might be in luck.

>>1194620
Keep an eye on the sky when you're in the desert between Gila Bend and Yuma. You can often see UFOs. Bretty cool. There's also a UFO themed restaurant in Gila Bend. Might be worth checking out since it's on the way.

>>1194710
>just to check if you are white
Not even. I'm brown as brown can be and they just wave me through as soon as they hear I don't have an accent.
>>
File: 2016-12-22 16.31.10.png (245KB, 829x515px) Image search: [Google]
2016-12-22 16.31.10.png
245KB, 829x515px
OP here. Just talked with the family and they crossed out San Diego. This is the definite route until further notice.

I also wanted to know, how does Anon stay awake while driving?
>>
>>1194905
Thanks for the head's up, anon
>>
>>1194924
Dried/fresh fruits and seeds/nuts to snack on will keep you awake
If you are trying to experience the road the way it was meant to be then stay off interstates
Only posers drive on the interstates
>>
>>1194710

East County San Diegan here, get off at Buckman Springs Rd and take the old highway till the next exit. It bypasses the main Border Patrol checkpoint (which IS super busy during desert season) and you go through a much smaller checkpoint that never has a line. Unless you look Mexican they will just wave you through.
>>
>>1194924

>crosses out San Diego
>keeps LA
>>
>>1194620
take highway 1.
>>
>>1194924

The Central Valley is literally the worst part of the state. Either take the 1 along the coast or go up the east side of the Sierras and cross over up by Lake Tahoe.
>>
>>1195275
As I stated, I have no clue what road I am taking. The routes posted are only possible ways to get there. Plus, I am going with family.

>>1195261
>>1195280
>>1195283
Thanks for the advice. I will try that when I get my turn at the wheel. Highway 1 sounds GOAT.
>>
>>1195298

Yeah, its goat alright. Just make sure you fuel up before getting to it because gas stations along the PCH are complete fucking jews and will double the already high california gas prices. Also keep in mind that some stretches of PCH are gnarly as fuck.
>>
Dude, your route from LA to San Fran is horrible. It's the trucker route, there's absolutely nothing there. Take the highway 1 up there instead.

-socal native
>>
>>1195338
See >>1195298
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.