[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

WWOOF/Workaway

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

File: 1477064278842.jpg (133KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
1477064278842.jpg
133KB, 960x720px
Has anyone here tried this? Got any stories to share? I want to slowly make my way from Atlanta to Washington state doing this, staying in the south until summer.
>>
>>1194534
It fucking sucks. Seriously dont mix work and travel if you arent getting paid
>>
I'll be doing this in Japan for a year. Seems like a good way to travel cheaply for an extended period of time, while also getting to know how the local population lives.
>>
>>1194534
>>1194561
Its like being a wagecuck with no wage. Seriously be careful and dont get an asshole boss-er i mean host :)
>>
Going to Korea tomorrow with this for the first time. If the thread is alive i'll post my experience in few days
>>
File: IMG_2059.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2059.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
>>1194592
please do, I did mine for 5 months in Switzerland where no one ever gets mad, I was near Visp and the work was pretty hard, but I grew up working

But the fucking view oh my god, THE FUCKING VIEW EVERY FUCKING DAY

honestly though, if you're going to do it, the Asian countries are the worst, plus my host gave me an allowance and weekends off

>those day trips to Zermatt made me the happiest I have ever been, god damn that country is beautiful
>>
>>1195152
honestly it also made me feel like I was apart of their family, I was 18 and they had two 18 year old kids, a boy and a girl and we would drive all over, would recommend
>>
>>1195152
I feel like if I had that view I could shovel cow shit for 12 hours a day and still feel completely fulfilled.
>>
>>1195157
most of my work was gathering hay, picking berries and other shit, milking to 3 cows and 2 goats, feeding their asses, I also would cook a meal once a week

oh yeah i had to use a scythe to cut the grass which was oddly fun
>>
Workaway anon in Korea here.

Make sure to ask about accommodation extensively, as i got utterly disappointed initially. Fortunately the host is really a good guy and helped me around, took me to store where i can buy new utensils etc. It was more of an issue of the other volunteers and not the host but, he's trying his best for me to feel comfortable.
>the Asian countries are the worst
Yeah, i knew i was going to be out of my comfort zone but honestly i wasn't expecting it to be like this. I almost starved today but i manned up and ended up cooking some rice for myself. I suppose it's all about surviving the first few days, after that you'll do just fine but for the time being i feel pretty down and lonely.
>>
>>1194534
For the host : free sla ... i mean workers
For you : get the fuck to work
>>
>>1195378
So how is it? Still enjoying this experience? I'm thinking of doing this, got any tips besides the "make sure you know as much as possible about where you're staying and what you're doing" that everyone recommends?
>>
>>1194561 here

>not packing everything you need to potentially live on the road

If accommodation is not guaranteed, and you're stranded in the middle of nowhere, you'd appreciate having a tent, sleeping bag, and cooking gear.

Then again, maybe I'm just an /out/ist. I'm bringing gear to potentially live as a vagabond for years.
>>
>>1194585

This.

Honesty, people who actually does this, are absolute dangers.

>work 25h/week for food and shelter

Beggars do better
>>
You can work in national parks, ski resorts, nice hotels, rafting places, etc. They house you, feed you, pay you, take you to town if you need it, help arrange travel to and from. But its a contract thing for a few months. May not be helpful if you plan on moving areas quickly. But if you want to live in a beautiful place and save money for alittle, its great.
>>
>>1195397
i'm enjoying the work, i get to meet with a lot of cool and interesting people. The only problem is accommodation, i'm pretty picky on hygiene and living with 6 other people sure has it's issues for me.
>>
>>1194534
Did wwoof in Finland, was a great experience. Before I went it was rather clear that the host is a very important factor that you know basically nothing about. So I was ready to leave on my own terms whenever, cycled there with my stuff.

Turned out to be great, lots of cool foreign folk, visited host's finnish friends and he had a little weed farm. But that's Finland right? My suggestion is be ready to leave if it sucks.
>>
Perhaps anyone knows of alternatives, like farms with a different philosophy of a simple slow community style life, suitable for lazy fucks like me, who has nothing against working but with a different attitude towards living?
>>
>>1199364
yes

your mom's house
>>
>>1199387
yes.

but other places? like open minded, organic, simple lifestyle communities? they musty exist don't they?
>>
File: 20161221_150228.jpg (6MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20161221_150228.jpg
6MB, 5312x2988px
>>1194534

I've been WWOOFING and backpacking around California for almost two years now non stop.

It's hit and miss for accommodations and hosts. But mostly it's been a good experience and you can travel very cheaply.

That said, even though the host is supposed to provide everything for you, I still travel with a backpacking tent, sleeping bag and my own toiletries.

Plus sometimes you don't get any responses from hosts and sending out three to five requests to different hosts is the norm.
>>
>>1199446
> like open minded, organic, simple lifestyle communities? they musty exist don't they?

Yeah it's called Amish country in PA, look it up.
>>
>>1196015
it's more just to live like a local in a country, idk why people do it in asian countries, but yeah, if you are gonna do it, do it in a super rich country like Switzerland
>>
>>1199364
it's like asking for a girl who has perfect tits, a perfect ass, and cute face, and on top of that has a great personality

they exist, but the chances of you experiencing it is about the same chance that ISIS would hold a buffet for all its members only serving pork
>>
File: 1482398273249.jpg (24KB, 433x380px) Image search: [Google]
1482398273249.jpg
24KB, 433x380px
Wait let me get this straight
>you go to X country
>work slave hours and """pay"""
>live in a tent or what shit shack you find
>no real guarantee you'll have any savings left over at the end
>no real guarantee of insurance if you get sick

And this is enjoyable? I guess I am not as big as a masochist as I thought
>>
Any experiences of doing this in Israel? I want to visit a friend there and kind of want to try it but am a little apprehensive because I'm Muslim (non Arab though) and the other obvious concerns

Northern Israel, I'd avoid talking about politics obviously
>>
>>1199446
Amish communities
>>
>>1199837
It's called self-improvment, or in layman's terms, not being a pussy, keep wage slaving away so you can buy things you don't need, and die old and regretful of a life poorly spent
>>
>>1199879
>not being a pussy
>ensuring I have a roof over my head and food on my plate
vs
>living in a tent literally being someones bitch
>>
>>1199883
Aren't you someone's bitch already?
>implying you make even close to 6figures a year, moreover being your own boss
You aren't very different from someone living in a tent anon, don't think you're better off than the rest of us are
>>
>>1199834
>>1199877
>>1199879
>>1199883
>>1199884
this is exactly my point. self improvement my ass. amish communities might be it really. I do not want to work for someone else’s profit. I could work for free, definitely, if everybody did.
>>
>>1194561
Hei mate, im planning to do so aswell probably in march. Have you got any plans, tricks or ideas to share ? Cheers.
>>
>>1200825
Start south, head north as the weather gets warmer.

Get a working holiday visa for a year, so you can legally earn some cash while there.

Pack gear so you can survive even without hosts.
>>
>>1199837
Yes it is enjoyable in non-shitty countries, Switzerland, Norway, and New Zealand are great places to do it because people aren't dicks, and you get insane fucking scenic cabins for staying in
>>
>>1201354
i'm also gonna add that i did not do it for "self-improvement"

I did it for good connections and a chance to live in Switzerland like a local for a bit for basically free

is it always a super fucking enjoyable fun thing? Fuck no, but 80% of the time i was having a good time, idk if I lucked out with my hosts having kids around my age (sexual shit automatically is grounds for you getting kicked out of the program)

I grew up doing hard work so it wasn't that big of a difference, most of the work was just random shit, but god fucking damn that fucking sunrise in the morning made it fucking worth it

also hope for hosts who love to ski, made my wwoof 110% better
>>
>>1194534
I did it and it sucked ass
I am Austrian and did it in Austria but hey do it if you have no pride
>>
>>1200976
That's exactly what I was going to do, good to read that's I'm thinking more or less right.

Gear to survive... I need to buy some cooking material. I got all the rest.
>>
>>1203130
My packing list:
>sleeping bag
>sleeping pad
>tarp 2x3m
>2 person 3 season tent
>trangia
>Schrade F26 knife
>Hultafors scout axe
>Leatherman Wave
>eating utensils
>steel mug
>firesteel
>compass
>tiny cutting board
>money belt
>rain poncho that serves as secondary tarp
>headlamp
>socks x3
>shirt x3
>pants x3
>underwear x3
>towel
>bathing shorts
>hoodie jacket
>outdoor coat
>long underwear
>sunglasses
>toothbrush
>toothpaste
>soap
>box for soap
>razor
>deoderant
>first aid kit
>extra bandages
>mylar blanket
>condoms
>paracord
>spices for cooking
>lighter x2
>fleece blanket x2
>fishing hooks and line
>personal documents
>backpack rain cover
>nail clipper
>dishwashing sponge
>steel wool
>sewing kit
>duct tape
>hard brush for maintenance
>weapon oil
>portable wood stove
>>
>>1194534

Biggest scam of all time. Most of them are business who don't feel like paying people. "My wife and I started a b&b but it's the low season and we need some help". Yeah? So hire someone.

Why the fuck should I work for your business for free when what I'm doing is helping you make money?
>>
>>1199879
insults people by telling them to
>keep wage slaving away
>at the same time advocates working as a literal slave in shit conditions
>>
It's pretty good if you want to learn another language or learn about the culture and country in general, but I would still try to find paid work.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.