[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Austria in the Winter

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 0

Sup folks, first time traveling. 18 year old United States resident traveling to Innsbruck for a week.

Will I be allowed to bring alcohol back to the States with me?
>>
>>1193612
In your check-in luggage (pack it well, wrap it in two plastic bags at least, and put it in the middle of your clothes), or as duty-free.

Oh wait, you shouldn't drink in the US in the first place. Go crazy in Austri, though.
>>
If you buy a bottle or two at the duty free, I'm sure it will be fine
>>
>>1193612
The US customs website says that you can include alcohol in your duty-free allowance if you are 21 or older, which implies that if you are only 18, you will need to pay duty on any alcohol you bring back. It also says that it will enforce state restrictions on importing alcohol.
>>
>>1193615
Yeah man, everybody just loves drunk american college student """""tourists""""". Can never get enough of them!
>>
>>1193691
I'm traveling for me, not to make sure Austrians in a tourist city aren't pissed off about me, a tourist, getting drunk
>>
>>1193729
Believe me, nobody will care. I'm living in Innsbruck and around a fifth of the population there is students. They are used to seeing drunk idiots. Can also answer other questions if you want.
>>
>>1193612
You can buy it in Austria but can't import it to the US.
>United States customs laws stipulate that no person under the age of 21 may bring any type or quantity of alcohol into the country.
>>
>>1193740
Good to know there's a res there. I'm going with a snowboarding group, but I'm more keen for the museums and galleries there.
>places to go
>places to eat
>how's the hotel grauer bar
>any cute grills?
>>
>>1193749
>I'm more keen for the museums and galleries there.

There aren't actually that many museums I find worthwile. However, the best ones in my opinion are:

Hofburg: Famous Habsburg Residence, Pretty interesting to see the original furniture and pageantry of older times. 7,5/10

Landesmuseum Ferdinandeum: Museum with lots of Arts, Modern and Renaissance, Pictures some instruments and in the basement theres some artifacts and relics from roman times.7/10

Tiroler Volkskunstmuseum: Really interesting insight in older tyrolean times. Lots of figurines outfits, tools and replicated old rooms. Also tells the story of Andreas Hofer (Tyrolean freedom fighter?) quite well. 8,5/10

Theres others as well, but I honestly don't think that these are the major and best ones.

>places to go
do you mean like to drink/go out, or just landmarks/interesting places to visit?

>places to eat
Best "Gutbürgerliche Küche", basically Austrian cuisine:
Stiftskeller, Buzihütte, Bierstindl

Good Italian:
Die Pizzerei, L'Osteria, Vapiano

Good Asian:
Teppan Wok, Shifu, Happy Asia

Other stuff:
Hosta Imbiss (best Kebab in Innsbruck)
Machete: Burrito Kartell (really nice Burritos)
Ludwigs (Very tasty Burgers, small portions though)
Breakfast Club (like the name suggests, appetizing breakfast and brunch)

>how's the hotel grauer bar

Pretty nice from what I've heard. Interesting tidbit: Norbert Hofer (Austrian far right presidential candidate) held a press conference in that Hotel a few months ago when he was running for president. I was there and it seemed like a pretty nice Hotel. I even got a free CD set with Tyrolean marches and polkas.

>any cute grills?
Sure. Expect a lot of the girls to be Italian or German tough. Also, depending on your time of visit there will probably less students and more tourists, since they will going home for the holidays to be with their families.
>>
>>1193773
>do you mean like to drink/go out, or just landmarks/interesting places to visit.

Both, but thank you so much for all the information, very helpful. :^)
>>
>>1193773
And I don't know a lick of German. Will I get by alright?
>>
>>1193774
Alright I'll make a list of some stuff. It'll take a while.
>>
>>1193775
I think the museums have english descriptions and explanations. I'm not sure though. You might want to ask that at the reception at each museum.
>>
>>1193775
If you mean generally, yes since everyone learns english in school over here. Especially in touristy regions.
>>
>>1193746
But it's unlikely anyone will notice if it's one bottle (last year I was 20 and snuck a bottle)
>>
From when until when will you be there?
>>
>>1193796
26th of December until 3nd of January.
>>
>>1193802
Okay so here we go:

>stuff to do/see:
Alpenzoo: A pretty small zoo, reachable with the Hungerburgbahn. Nothing special, but maybe worth a visit if you're bored.

Goldenes Dachl: The most famous landmark of Tyrol, not very special in my opinion, but theres a museum entrance right below it, if you want to know more about it.

Hofgarten: Garden with some rare plants and trees very close to the Hofburg. Really boring, but I'll mention it because theres a disco/nightclub very popular with students, especially on tuesdays!

Basilica Wilten: very impressive, beautiful big dome/church with some nice fresce and paintings.

Schloss Amras: Big beautiful castle, nice insight into the dark ages, also nice park and ponds. Worth a visit.

Bergisel Schanze: It's kind of a shame that you will leave on the third of january. Because on the third and fourth, the famous four hills tournament will be held there. Nonetheless, you should probably go up there once and take a look at the huge jump, if you're interested in ski jumping and winter sports.

Thats probably the most interesting things,

Now the most important part:

>going out

I'll make a separate post about this.
>>
>>1193814
I'm on the edge of my seat for this.
>>
>>1193856

>going out

Ill sort this into chill (bars/pubs) and not so chill (nightclubs/discos)

>chill:

Zappa Music Bar: My former go-to bar/pub. Quite cosy, smoker and non-smoker sections. Daily Happy Hours from 18:00-20:00, where cocktails are 50% off. Theres a PC where you can queue up the music that plays and there is also table soccer (?) and air hockey to play. Has Smoker section.

Elferhaus: Mix of restaurant and bar, they have quite a big selection of beers. Food also isn't too bad. They have Schnitzel, Burgers, Soups, Sandwiches, quite a lot of stuff. Has Smoker section.

Billard at charly's friends: Small Billiard-Bar where you can play Billiard, Carambol and Snooker. They have around ten tables, but I'd suggest being there as early as possible since its sometimes gets quite full and it's hard to get a table. It opens at 16:00. Think it's non smoker only.

Café Bar Jolly: Small, very oldschool pub. You actually need to ring the bell at the door, to be let in. Also has table soccer. I think you can smoke in there. Think it's smoker only.

Café Bar Moustache: Not far from the Goldenes Dachl, free Wlan, you can also rent books there, on sundays theres a pub quiz (which if I remember correctly is actually done in english), also has some snacks like falafel, burritos etc. Think this has smoker section.

Haltestelle: In essence this is a shot bar." Haltestelle" translated means "bus stop". In there you basically order a so called "line" wich is a row of shots and each shot is different. Quite fun to let everyone choose a shot and seee, whoever gets the worst one.

Theresienbräu: Very traditional old school restaurant/bar, with their own brewed beer. You probably already heard of this one. I don't really recommend the food there, but I like the beer, has that sort of brezel like taste. Has happy hour from 15:00-17:00 where the beer is 50% off. Has a smoker section.

cont.
>>
>>1193875

Tribaun: Really cool craft-beer bar. They always have 20 different beers on tap from all over the world. Most of them IPA, or pale ales, but also some ciders and Lager. One of my favourites. You can also buy some of the beers they offer. Also offers small pizza thingys. Has a smokers section.

The Penz Hotel: This is a hotel bar and really pricey, but they have a nice selection of wines, whiskeys, rum, etc. If I want to drink a really overpriced whiskey, I go there. Has a smoker lounge.

Adlers Hotel Bar: I was only up there once at a presidential political event, because I drank for free, so I can't really tell you about prices, what they offer, but what I can say is that there is a really nice view from up there, so theres that. Is probably very expensive. Has a smoker section I think.

Baccus: The only gay bar in Innsbruck. So if you're into that...

>not so chill:

Cloud 9 Iglu Bar: Now this is a very cool location. Only there in winter, when there it has snowed, this is an igloo on top of the city on the nordkette. Beacutiful view over the city. You can only get up there via cable car from the Hungerburg. Every Friday theres a party with a different DJ and on wednesdays there are students nights with some special deals. If you want to get up there on Friday or Wednesday, do it very early. The bar is open from 10:00-16:00 and on friday and wednesday from 18:00-23:30. The cable car goes from the Hungerburg up to the Seegrube and you would want to be there as early as possible, because they only let 350 people in. But I really recommend this one. Also has a smokers section.

Weekender: Legendary location with weekly events and music acts. I checked the calendar and on the 28.12.16 Sugarhill Gang will play there at 20:30. No idea who they are, but may be interesting to you. has a smokeres section.

Blue Chip: Disco thats open from wednesday to saturday from 22:00 to 04:00 also with lots of events, but they are really hit and miss.No smoking.

cont.
>>
>>1193884
Hofgarten Cafe: Isn't really a cafe, like the name implies, but a nightclub. It's recommended to go there on tuesdays, because of the so called "6er Garantie". Six beers for ten Euro. Is better in the summer, but still a fun place. has smoker section.

Segabar: Now this bar is certainly something. Really crowded most of the time, cheap alcohol, mostly drunk party people in there and I kinda really hate it, but it's also a good place to meet easy girls. This should probably be one of your last stops of the day. Smoker and non smoker.

Café Testarossa: Is a cafe from 6 to 22 and a bar from 22 to 6 . Also truly a legendary bar. This is the sort of bar where you go when everything else has closed. Very grimy and lots of times the average age of the people there is above 40. If you stay until 6, you can eat breakfast there. No idea if you can smoke or not, because I have never been there sober.

Die Bögen: This is not one bar, but rather the name of an entire row of bars and discos. These bars are under the railway tracks in these sort of arches, hence the name "Bögen" which means "arches". Now there are so many bars and discos, that I can't describe them all, but I will rather write some of their names down so you know where they are. Some of them are bars, some of them are discos: They: Babalon, Down Under, Tante Emma Club, PMK, Little Rock, Project. I also recommend visiting here very late in the evening.

I hope I could help. And I seriously hope someone reads this fucking long ass shit. Took me long enough to write. That's probably more than you can fit in your week in Innsbruck. If you want more, theres still tons of bars and discos I left out. You should be able to find all of these via google maps, but I will probably check this thread every once in a while if you have a question.
>>
>>1193875
>>1193884
>>1193890
You've been a legend bud, I've been checking out all of this, and I'm getting a good idea of what I want to do. I've been taking notes, and I really appreciate all of this. I'll definitely be coming back with more questions.

Thank you so much man.
>>
>>1193612
I've been on several trips to Europe with high school students and they've never had any problem bringing liquor back. I even had a friend who got his luggage searched at LAX. He had a bunch of absinthe that was too strong to be legal in US and the TSA didn't give a fuck. Bring all the shit you want, nobody cares.
>>
Leaving tomorrow! I'll probably have questions when I arrive
>>
>>1195705
Alright.
>>
>>1193890
saved all this in my notes and I might not visit austria for a year or so. thanks for the details anon
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 0

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.