[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Long journey on foot

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: 1481253019331.jpg (105KB, 739x751px) Image search: [Google]
1481253019331.jpg
105KB, 739x751px
Any hikers right here?
What was your longest journey on foot? How it helped and/or harmed mentally?
Do you have any unexpected recommendation from experience for a very long journey?

Ofc it is obvious for everyone to have lightweight backpack as possible, to know where is good water resource is and etc. Anyway, I would be thankful for all info.

Story behind this:
I feeling sucked and fucked up by society and daily routine and I also probably have some kind of mental illness or just tiredness of everything. So have a plan to walk away as far as i can or just for a one year or two. Planning to take some clothes, bivy, sleeping bag, tilt, stove, water filter and some other basic things. Soon will have enough money for everyday food, visas, flights for skipping traveler-unwelcoming places like middle east.
Have experience by traveling in Spain, Portugal, Poland, Netherlands, Slovakia, Czech Republc by train, buses, hitchhiking and foot.
Also I do not need comfortable environment, know basic survival stuff and have been raised in county.
Should I consider that I am just hotheaded and nothing is going to work out?
>>
The longest solo hike I've done was two months in Morocco, with breaks. Actually it put me in a really dark place mentally. The first month was fun, but then all my troubles back home started to haunt me and there was nonstop noise and chaos in my head. I couldn't sleep. I had to beg a friend to come from the UK to join me.
It's weird because I'm naturally a loner.

I can't give any practical info without knowing what climate you'll be in.
>>
>>1193510
Thanks for info. Can you tell more about those troubles?

Planned countries:
summer-autumn - eastern, south-eastern europe (Belarus, Ukraine, Romania, Bulgaria, Turkey, Georgia)
Autumn-Winter - India, Myanmar, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia
>>
File: 7155224649_5684f033b9.jpg (116KB, 400x286px) Image search: [Google]
7155224649_5684f033b9.jpg
116KB, 400x286px
>>1193801
Man, that's gonna be so fucking awesome.
Hang on, are you actually going to walk from India to Indonesia? Good luck with the red tape in Myanmar.

The troubles which really haunted me were family-oriented, I won't go into details. Felt like I was wasting time instead of working hard to help the only two people who matter to me. I come from a culture that idealizes things like hard work, land ownership, and being a respected member of the community. Things all antithetical to travel.

Now that I'm at home I feel like I'm wasting my youth sitting on my ass, of course, but the grass is always greener, ain't it.
>>
Should I consider that I am just hotheaded and nothing is going to work out?
Everything will work out as long as you can sustain the drive and strength of character, sustain your ambitions and morale.
Curveballs come from harsh elements and alien cultures, but they also come from inside your own head. And by curveball I mean shit you can't anticipate, so there's no way to prepare for it.
When catastrophe strikes, think of it as a test of your strength of character and try to stay the course -- but also give credit to the voices telling you to throw in the towel. It takes just as much courage to give up and go home as it takes to keep going.
>>
My longest trip so far was 41 days on Patagonia. Longest hike was 10 days on Torres del Paine, about 120km of walking.

I would say that traveling alone is pretty good. The freedom is great and doing whatever you want is the best. But the best experiences come through contact with people, even if they are complete strangers.
I think the most interesting thing about that is to see someone else from a completely different country and culture, and through a brief encounter, try to see how their life is. You can learn a lot through that.

Also, dealing with strangers open new options and opportunities. For example, this Torres del Paine park has multiple routes, the 10 day one being the longest. I went there expecting to do a 4 day one, but I met some guys on the bus going there that wanted to do the full tour. It was a Brazilian photographer, an American from Washington with a lot of gadgets that worked in a camping/survival shop and did reviews on the equipment he used on his travels, and a guy from Israel who had just finished his years of military service and decided to spend some time traveling through around the world, like many of them do before or after their years of military service.
I wouldn't had done those 10 days if it wasn't for those guys.
So, the best thing about these travels is meeting new people and doing temporary shit with them its a complete blast. If you have a lot of time and enough funds, it's so good you almost jizz in your pants.
The best places to find people are in hostel ROOMs, because you have like 6-10 people sleeping with you, and busses and air planes, because you are going to the same destination and can organicaly combine to do stuff together.
Comparing that to the recent travels I had, with my gf, sleeping in private rooms, with a rented car, with limited time, they completely suck because I barely met new people and learned new experiences.
So enjoy a backpacking trip as long as you can.
>>
>>1194689
The only really bad things about traveling alone is when you get sick, or when you don't have opportunities to meet locals or other travelers. Going solo for a long time makes the experience not as good, and becoming sick, alone, in a foreign country, is depressing. Once I got a sudden high fever that left me so depleted I just stood alone inside a very tiny room for the entire night, without any kind of pills, and if I had died there people would only realize if they came for the money, maybe days latter.
>>
>>1194692
Same anon here.
Tips:
-Have a backup plan to get you home, from whenever you are. Probably safe money that can be accessed in most places, but which can't be stolen. I almost became a fucking beggar because I ran out of money after spending too much on a trek, and had to use borrowed money to call my bank at my home country for more funds.
- get quality, lightweight gear, and know how to use it before going on your travels. Choose the right gear for where you want to go, specially the sleeping bag, because it may be too cold or hot.
- snack often between major meals (breakfast and dinner) when trekking. Keep a steady supply of blood sugar.
- in long treks where you wont be able to shower/bathe, keep a separated piece of clothes to wear when you sleep. Even if dirty and tired, it's best to sleep with a somewhat cleaner outfit.
- be aware of security and where you sleep. For example, the American guy who trecked with us used to keep his cooking utensils inside a bag, tied high to a tree outside his tent. It all worked perfectly in the trekkers camps, where there were very few people. But once we got to a "tourist" camp, his stuff were stolen overnigh.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.