[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Have you ever done a road trip in a country where they drive

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

Have you ever done a road trip in a country where they drive on the "wrong" side of the road? If so, what was it like?
>>
>>1192449
Aye, drove in the UK. Took me like 10 minutes to adjust. Priorities and whatnot were not as confusing as I expected, but I did not drive inside many cities. The biggest pain in the arse was having to switch gears with the wrong hand, and the state of the roads in the northern parts of Scotland.

You'll be fine OP, if you're worried get a copilot that can smack you in case you get a brainfart and take a roundabout on the wrong side.
>>
>>1192449
I drove from Bangtao to and around and Phuket city and out to Wat Chalong. I had two incidents, though one was caused my gf telling me to turn into the wrong way.

First one was at the mall. They had a paid parking lot, I pulled in to the right of the ticket window instead of the left. The attendant didn't flinch or acted like I did anything wrong. Just handed me my parking ticket. Fortunately, no one was coming out at the moment.

The second was pulling in to Wat Chalong. Gf told me the outbound rd was the entrance, but it was wide enough for 2 cars.
>>
It was way more uncomfortable than I expected, but it also took less time to get used to than I expected.
Remember when you're first learning to drive, the lane you're in seems really really narrow?
When you start driving on the wrong side it's like that all over again.
>>
>>1192469
I am, >>1192465. Now that I think about, I did have an issue getting too close to the center line. Not crossing, but close enough that I was driving over the reflectors next to it.
>>
>>1192472
Same for me now that you mention it (I'm >>1192459) but I kept getting too close to the outer side of the road instead
>>
>>1192449
I just did a road trip around New Zealand this year and it was an interesting experience. It took me about 3 days to be 100% adjusted. The worst was going on roads without markings because you then tend to forget and kinda veer onto the wrong side out of custom.

Overall it was easy to get adjusted though. Just be careful the first few days.
>>
>>1192459
>>1192449
I have accidentally driven on the left side of the road here (US) once or twice. actually its quite fun.
>>
I drove a rental car in South Africa. Actually got used quickly to the traffic, and even the manual stick. The only thing I kept getting wrong was that I always turned on the windshield wipers when I meant to signal.
>>
Drove on the left in Malta and Ireland. Malta's traffic can be chaotic in the cities, but I got used to it quickly. Never really made any mistakes, but I was on a single lane country road in Ireland and I pulled over on the right side to let another car pass by and he gave me a kind of strange look. It was also really weird to use the gearstick with my left hand since I drive an automatic back home.
>>
>>1192449
I drove on a highway in LA (I think 101)

Not only that, but it was a manual, so I had to use my other hand to change gears.

Wasn't fun
>>
>>1192449
Yeh, drove all across Bali with a scooter.

It wasn't too bad, but I did force out quite a few people when doing a right turn in weird, smaller streets with lots of wild traffic and pedestrians.
Luckily, the average speed in those situations is about 15-30km/h, so it was generally ok.
>>
>>1192449
Travelled England in a Volkswagen T5 with the wheel on the left hand side.

Driving on the other side is no big deal, probably would have been even easier if I were sitting on the right. I relied on my passenger to tell me how close the opposing traffic came to our car.
The biggest problem was turning. Whenever I turned left, I had to remind myself not to switch to the right side of the road again. Still happened to me once or twice, luckily there was no traffic.

It was a fun experience and I learned to be much more considerate and careful while driving.
Although that may also have to do with those incredibly narrow roads there. Most of the time on the country roads I didn't even dare to drive the speed limit. There were bushes left and right, two metres high and fencing the road without a gap in between. Pretty scary when a local overtakes when there is a turn fifty metres ahead
>>
I rented a car in Ireland, hit a parked ambulance within the first 5 minutes, got used quickly after that and drove up and down the island for two weeks.
>>
I learned how to ride a motorbike when I was in India last year. Didn't have any issues navigating the road, taking turns, our sharing my lane.

However, when a friend offered to teach me to drive stick in her Mahindra Scorpio, I was very weirded out. Like another poster said, you feel like the lanes are much smaller than they really are. Some of the controls are on the opposite side of the wheel, too. For instance, I freaked a friend out a month or two ago (also in India) by reaching over to turn on her blinker. I wound up flooding the dash with spray, since I hadn't realized the indicator was also on the "wrong" side of the car.
>>
>>1192449
The only thing is always turning on the windshield wipers when you try to signal a turn.
>>
>>1193853

Driving in Ireland is easy except for those big ass roundabouts near Dublin that have traffic lights inside them.
>>
>>1192469
this is a really good explanation i ca vouch for
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.