[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

AirBnb

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 3

Going to use this for the first time. Any tips? Horror stories? What should I expect?
>>
Going to bump this because i just booked my first airbnb as well and im curious how it will turn out.

What i can offer is that my cousin rents out her manhattan apartment while she is away through airbnb all the time and thinks its wonderful - but thats from the host side of things.
>>
>>1191412
I always entertain the idea of renting out my apartment when travelling but then I remember just how much of a warehouse my flat is.
Do people just have so little belongings? Moving all this shit to my parents or friends back and forth would be a royal pain in the ass.
>>
>>1191400
The photographers of Airbnb have good Photoshop skills. I've been always very disappointed when I saw the rooms in rl.
>>
>>1191400
I've used Airbnb quite a few times and have enjoyed it, it is usually better value for money than a hotel, but more expensive than a hostel depending what you book.

I have stayed with a host before a couple of times as well as booking the whole apartment/house. I have no horror stories, everything has run smoothly.

>>1191418
I don't think you need to move your belongings out of your flat. I've stayed at people's apartments and houses with all their belongings still in the property.
>>
>>1191400
Used them once, so I am an expert.

It was OK, cheapish, pretty barren and utilitarian, their idea of a king sized bed was interesting. Owner was very nice. Make sure you know, before booking, about the parking situation.
>>
>Rent a sick condo with my girlfriend in Aspen CO
>Had a great time
>Get home
>4 weeks later, still haven't gotten security deposit back
>Call up lady who owns it, she lives in texas
>"Hey, when do I get the security deposit?"
>"Oh I'm sending it out tomorrow
>"Alright"
>2 weeks go by, no security deposit
>Call her again
>She bitch buttons me
>Leave a message "Hey, we really appreciated the condo! I have a few members of my family looking to rent it out too, but I'm not going to give them your info until my security deposit gets back to me"
>Get a call 20 minutes later
>It's her
>"It's in the mail"
>3 days later get my security deposit back
>Report her to airbnb
>>
>>1191400
used airbnb a good amount anon here is some advice

Do:
>Research the area around where the airbnb is, just because the host is a 5 star guy the area around it can be shit
>read the profile in detail, some pictures may look private but could be a shared bunk room
>Ping the host about anything PRIOR to getting there
>Read every review that isn't 5 star and see if the host responded to bad reviews
>make note of where you are staying and any damages to the place

Don't
>Expect hotel level service or cleanliness
>Lightning book without messaging the host prior to
>Pack expensive shit for hostels/shared houses without a locker or something noted by the host
>let anything with a security deposit set outstanding too long

Airbnb can be fine just read the reviews and do the research on the place/host prior to any booking. Personally I haven't had a terrible exprience anywhere, but do keep in mind that they money you are saving by doing airbnb there will be a drop in the service/quality of the stay compared to most hotels.
>>
Hey thats a really smart move. Get her thinking there will be more biz if she coughs up your money. Good work man
>>
>>1191622
>implying they cut you a personal check for the deposit

Tales of things that never happened: retard edition
>>
>>1191626
>Don't
>>Lightning book without messaging the host prior to

I thought this could be a good idea for the case of a spontaneous road trip with only flights and car booked in advance. No?
>>
>>1191808
lightning book is there for exactly that reason. don't enable lightning book as a host if you'd rather screen your guests. aka that advice is useless.
>>
Going to give this a shot and rent an apartment in Bethlehem because it's just a few more dollars than a bed at a hostel in Jerusalem and looks infinitely better. It seems pretty obvious to stick with hosts who have a good and fast response rate.
>>
>>1191808
It can be, I've done lightning bookings once. Semi-regretted it. There were a few things I would have liked to have known a bit more in detail from the host prior to getting there. Still had a good time, but if there was anywhere I would expect a airbnb horror story to come from it would be from an lightning/instant book
>>
bump

Also just booked my first airbnb for next month
>>
2 years experience as both host and guest here. >>1191626 already said most of what you need to know
I can add
>don't expect your host to be at your beck and call any time but do mention any issues to them
>carefully read the whole listing before booking: there may be a deal breaker hidden there, also if you read it you can avoid asking stupid questions to your host
>always message the host prior to booking or as soon as you can after you instant book. Communicate as much as you can to make your experience as good as possible.
>ask the host about things to do and see in whatever place you booked. I discovered a truly fantastic restaurant in Bologna this way.
>do NOT lie when booking or on your listing, or ask for or accept discounts, payments outside of ABB, checking out the house before booking, bringing your extended family in a 2-room flat
>don't lie on reviews: I got a girl banned from ABB for saying my listing had bed bugs after I sent ABB photographic evidence of the contrary. Being a bitch doesn't pay.
>if you have to call customer support, they will not be helpful. You need to insist to get anything done and have as much evidence as you can ready on hand to support your case.
>>
Accounts from my country can't pay AirBnB using PP and that sucks.
Is this exclusive to US or what?
Is using a proxy to create an account to be able to pay with PP a bad idea?
>>
>>1191622
Airbnb hold the deposits you fucktard
>>
>>1192049
why would you not ask for discounts?

do ask for discounts, got my room 30% off in tokyo in a great location. would have stayed somewhere else if he didn't give it so he only profited from it
>>
>>1192582
Some people who lightning book or just don't read never ask
>>
>>1192114
UK can pay with PP so I can say it's not an american exclusive thing
>>
>>1191622
Why did you report her she gave you the money back?
>>
Couple horror stories. First night in Osaka (and first night out of my home country) we had an AirBnB and the host gave us completely opposite directions from the train station. After 3 hours and asking a bunch of convenient store attendees we found the correct address and the notes said "turn nob and enter room." Turns out there was a half naked Japanese dude living there. He apologized for not being a hotel. I ended up staying the night in a manga cafe.

Second was in India. It was a secluded spot and my host offered to take as to buy some liquor. He got drunk on his own supply first and proceeded to drive through Himalayan back roads with me with his lights out.

Looking back these are fun, but at the time they were terrifying. That said, most of my AirBnB experiences have been amazing.
>>
>>1191400
I had a bad experience in Paris but it stemmed from not understanding that it was actually illegal there and a failed email delivery, but overall it's a pretty good service. It's heavily geared towards the landlord though, and doing it at the last minute while traveling is a huge fucking hassle
>>
I've had nothing but good experiences using Airbnb in Eastern Europe. I noticed in Ukraine however I only booked through holiday rental angencies and never met an actual host, just an agency worker to deliver me the keys, get my passport info, sign a contract, and that was it. Good prices, location, and quality though so I didn't mind.
>>
Once rented a whole flat in Copenhagen. Had a great time, girl who live there was really helpful and the flat was lovely. But do your research and definitely speak to the host before as much as you can
>>
>>1194267
I'm actually using Airbnb for a room in Copenhagen next month... any suggestions on things to see in the city?
>>
>>1194234
>signing contracts for airbnb
??
>>
>>1191622
call the resolution center
>>
>>1194525
some hosts want you to sign contracts. its generally property managers and vacation rental owners. it would be disclosed in their house rules.
>>
>>1192049
>>ask the host about things to do and see in whatever place you booked. I discovered a truly fantastic restaurant in Bologna this way.
airbnb is also rolling out "experiences" and "places" so larger cities will have their own curated frommers guide book of shit to do. great hosts usually already do this though
>>
>>1192114
https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/486/how-do-i-use-paypal-to-pay

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/365/how-do-i-use-paypal-to-receive-payouts
>>
>>1194525
also he said he didnt book throgh airbnb he booked through a rental agency
>>
>>1194660
Well I meant it was rental agencies listing their properties on AirBnB. I never met an actual owner listing their personal property, just one of many holiday flats.

>>1194654
Actually it didn't really say anything about signing a contract in person but I didn't really mind. I had just arrived by an overnight train with zero sleep and I wasn't going to make a fuss about not signing a rental agreement with someone who couldn't speak any English. I assumed it was just a, "you're liable for any damage etc..." and didn't care.
>>
Best story:
Went to marrakech for a weekend. Host arranged a cheap taxi to pick us up at the airport and get us into the medina. We arrived and got seated at a dinner table with his berber speaking mother, completely overwhelmed. He arranged everything we would want and haggled for us.

Or

Prague: stayed with a guy with the cutest shiba inu. Had some drinks on some wort of river boat with the host, he was extremely nice and told us where we could swim, since it was 35 degrees.

Worst: Madrid. Host didnt bother to tell us that we couldn't flush TP, we clogged the toilet and had to pay for a plumber.

Tips: message first with who you are and ask if you can stay. Expect you staying in somebodys house. Can be awkward, can be actually meeting a local.
>>
>>1191808
Lightning boook?
>>
>>1196383
Normally the host has to approve you before you're confirmed staying there. Lighting book option means the approval is automatic.
>>
>>1191400

So far, no horror stories. I'm currently in a place in Tokyo that I've got for 2 months, and the host is really helpful and polite. He's even leant me a second mattress so a friend can stay for a couple of weeks at no extra charge.

But I've also booked 4 nights in Kyoto and 2 nights in Hiroshima. Those are for next week, and I'm already nervous about them. One was only £25 a night but it has 10 beds in it. I double-checked and the host said it's completely private, but it still feels weird. Apparently, he rents it out for baseball seasons and doesn't normally get people this time of the year.
>>
>>1191400
I've used Airbnb twice, once in Hong Kong and once in Melbourne.

Both were quite good. The Hong Kong one I went for cheap, which came out to about $80 AUD per night (split between two dudes so $40 each). It was a very small room, but it had been recently renovated and all the basic amenities were there. Both experiences were good and I can't complain, but I have heard that it can be very hit and miss.
>>
>>1196383
he means instant book, it has a lightning bolt to indicate this
>>
I've been hearing some stories that blacks are being rejected on the site. I want to travel to Bosnia over the summer. Will I run into any problems?
>>
>>1197749
Are you black?
>>
>>1197749
Probably. Put a white dude as your profile picture and mention a prestigious job.
>>
>>1197755
Yes, I am. I'm mixed but I'm definitely not a light-skinned mulatto.
>>
>>1197761
Are you booking in the deep south?
>>
booking while black is 0 problem. put on a shirt maybe even a tie, that should solve the problem. j
>>
>>1197761
Then maybe consider a vacation to your local KFC or food stamp office instead.
>>
>>1197763
Nah, Bosnia m8. I just want to visit a quiet country after I get done with my bachelors.

>>1197764
Well, I dress pretty conservatively, so that shouldn't be a problem.

>>1197765
I'm a lolbertarian.
>>
>>1191400
read the details of the place (for fees, security deposits and rules) and clarify vague rules with owner before booking the place.

Keep in mind that hotels sometimes are cheaper and better quality depending where you're going.
>>
>>1191622
>Aspen
>Texan owner
>Colorado

Three warning signs ignored.
>>
File: bosnia_1.jpg (1MB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
bosnia_1.jpg
1MB, 1024x768px
>>1197784
yes gib tourist money
>>
>>1197829
I want to. I like how green everything is over there. Plus food is so cheap, which is a huge bonus. I speak a tiny bit of Bosnan, so we'll see how well I do.
>>
>>1191400
Find places with a lot of reviews in advance (because they'll often be booked).
>>
I've only done Airbnb once, had a pretty good experience. I was driving to Seattle for work and stopped in Missoula, stayed with a very nice empty nester couple. They invited me to have dinner with them and I talked about how great Trump was with the husband for about an hour. Very nice people.

That said, I feel like I'd only do Airbnb in Western countries, because it's just so much damn cheaper then the rest of the world. Why would I haggle over $25 in Mumbai when the hostel is about the same?
>>
did 2 airbnb's in serbia

1. great, good location (something you wanna research beforehand) house was exactly like pictures, clean, good wifi, nice host which had lots of stuff like pamflets and gave short summary of what to do etc in the city

2. very friendly hosts, house was smaller than it looked on pictures and not superclean, but all in all fine

>Conclusion, I really liked this experience, was a little cheaper than normal apartment/hotel etc. but I do think the host is the key of making airbnb a nice stay (in terms of hospitality, taking care of guests/house)
>>
File: IMG_0125.jpg (6MB, 5184x3456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0125.jpg
6MB, 5184x3456px
I used it on a trip I took to San Diego

The first airbnb I booked cancelled on me 3 weeks before my trip so I had to hurry and find another one but thankfully airbnb gave me an extra $100 on top of my refund so I was able to get a slightly more expensive place without worrying about it.

In my particular situation the actual place was very nice, I didn't meet the guy that owned the place until the last day that I was staying there. He had some other guy watching the house but I only talked to him twice in four days. The other people living at the airbnb were okay, I didn't really want to hang out with them so I didn't lol.

I purposely made an effort to be gone and out of the house as long as possible, usually starting my days around 8am and not going back until 9 or 10pm. I used it basically as a safe place to keep my shit and to shower/use the restroom. I think I only went back in the middle of the day maybe twice over my trip to charge my phone/use the bathroom.

8/10 would recommend, definitely using it for future trips

pic related is from outside where i stayed
>>
99% of the Airbnbs I use have been hassle free, you just gotta know what to look for. Professional responses, clean pictures without any overly 'catchy' info, and ask for information before hand like how to check in and get into your room.

My worst experience was recently in Japan where the instructions were vague, following them gave me the key to the wrong room, and I was finally instructed to basically break in to some house to grab a master key to which I exchanged for my own key later.
>>
>>1194657
Did you even read the articles you linked?
They don't answer the question.
>>
>>1191512
If you register your home for Airbnb the company offers you to either take the photos yourself or get a professional out to your home to take them for you.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.