[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone been in the peacecorps? Should I join?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 2

File: 1477296131905.jpg (150KB, 1080x927px) Image search: [Google]
1477296131905.jpg
150KB, 1080x927px
Anyone been in the peacecorps? Should I join?
>>
>>1190526
The real question is what qualifies you to join? It isn't job corps.
>>
>>1190526
I considered it and opted for the Army instead. It was a great choice and that's what I recommend assuming you have the same interests and are looking for the same sort of lifestyle I was.

Better benefits etc. Contrary to what everyone believes not everyone is infantry rushing into battle to shoot people. It's cool if that's what you're into and want to do, but there are other important options as well.
>>
>>1191101
I half agree. I think the Army, though it has travel, but is so large, is at the bottome of the 4 services for travel.
I'd rank:
Navy (though a lot of time at seas comes with this)
Marine (Have bascially a 1/3 chance or higher of being stationed in Japan or higher during your career which are great jumping off points, plus all of the other random bases of other services Marines find themselves. Basically, small branch, but a lot of places, more travel. Especially if single, because they get moved more (cheaper, less issues). Bonus that any Marine can work at any US Embassy.
Air Force
Army ( a lot of bases, but a lot of people. Also mostly Europe, as far as OCONUS, and more competition for those spots. Germany is pretty easy to get to and can see Europe from there)

I say this as a Marine. I didn't even rank my own branch as top for travel.
>>
>>1191114
I mean, it depends upon what sort of travel you like. I see two kinds of people on int, some like to pop into a country for a week then peace out some place new, others quit their jobs and disappear into a new world for a year. If you prefer the latter I think the Peace Corp will easily let you sever ties. I had a friend who joined and was off the grid until he got sick as fuck and had to come home.

>Navy
Fuck no. Unless you're the sort that believes the journey is the destination and not the actual destination. I don't want to spend all my time on a damn ship, or worse in a sub.

Army let me see Germany and Turkey.
>>
>>1191117
>Fuck no. Unless you're the sort that believes the journey is the destination and not the actual destination. I don't want to spend all my time on a damn ship, or worse in a sub.

I honestly feel the same way. One of the reasons I picked the Marine Corps over the Navy, despite having Navy JROTC and being able to advance higher, and being more adapted to the Navy. That said, beyond the ports you will hit, there all the ports you can based at. Singapore, Italy, Bahrain, Spain, Portugal, Greece, Japan, and many more.

I placed AF 3rd, because though larger than the Marines, but also has places like Nice in France, and Kadena in Okinawa. Kazahkstan. Not to mention in England (though the Army has a presence, too)

I did mention Germany, and you can see Europe from there. And it's not that hard for a soldier to see Germany if he wants it. I am not saying the Army is a bad option, but not the best, IMO. Only because it's potentially the easiest to miss the travel opportunities.
>>
>>1191114
actually pretty sure I'm going to join the marines as infantry. I'm 18. I want to travel the world so I was thinking of volenteering in Africa or somewhere via Wwoof (work on a farm in exchange for shelter and food)
>>
>>1191133
>so I was thinking of volenteering in Africa or somewhere via Wwoof (work on a farm in exchange for shelter and food)

The Peace Corps is perfect for you then. I'd never do that shit but if you can hang best of luck.
>>
>>1191133
>infantry
You must be smart. And this will in some ways the dumbest thing you will ever do. It's always (hyperbole alert) the smart guys that go infantry in the Marines. People join for a challenge. For Smart guys school was easy and they spend all day playing COD so that's what they want to do.

If you are /fit/ or have /fit/ potential I say go into another passion, then try out for MARSOC or Recon. That way if you make it you get your COD wet dream (sort of), but if you don't make it or don't like it you have something you like to fall back on.

>I want to travel the world so I was thinking of volenteering in Africa or somewhere via Wwoof (work on a farm in exchange for shelter and food)

ehh, you may get your Africa fill in Djibouti

https://www.hoa.africom.mil/
>>
>>1191137
The thing about Peace Corps that I think OP, and that guy, if he isn't OP , is missing is that you have to have a certified skill. NEETs need not apply.
>>
>>1191140
Want the experience. Dunno what I want to do but figured if I survive infantry I can survive anything. Also I don't like COD. I'm more of a salmon kinda of gal :)
>>
>>1191144
>>1191141
Couldn't she just major in communications, or agriculture or something? Not even a foreign language

>>1191144
OH. Ha ha I just got that. Oh you're funny, Imma use that one.

Also, a grill!
>>
>>1191145
ok fuck off pog
>>
>>1191144
If you really are gal, though it is legally allowed, it is unlikely, stats speaking, you will pass our infantry training. Maybe go for tanks or something. BUt if you can survive Marine Recruit Training you will laready feel like you can survive and do anything. Regardless of job. Our training stresses that every Marine is a riflemen thing.
>>1191145
The OP posts made it sound like they were looking at Peace Corps as an immediate option without training or experience.
>>
>>1191149
Enjoy working at Wal Mart when you leave.
>>
>>1191153
cant get a job. too autistic. I'll just save my money while in marines then when I get out, travel the world as a vagabond
>>
>>1191141
>The thing about Peace Corps that I think OP, and that guy, if he isn't OP , is missing is that you have to have a certified skill. NEETs need not apply.

This. One look at their website, and you'd get that they are looking for the type of people that have worked a long successful career already, and could work more but they don't need any money in life, ie older people, those with trust funds and serious investments, and people top of their game in skillsets, PhD types in urban planning, former CEOs, engineers, and serious laborers with certifications such as welders. The job workers they need the most are the highest in demand of course. That's how that works.
I think the reason Peace Corps would need anyone at all is that recent grads have no skills, but can't just decide not to work due to tremendous student debt. There is a deferment that can happen however for someone who 1) needs job experience and can't get it at the moment, so 2) wants to get their loans off their backs for a couple years of further planning or figuring out your direction in life, or while waiting for a competitive masters program to open up for them, might even be able to write your dissertation in the 2 yr commitment.
>>
>>1191157
I have a couple of stories in this regard.

One dude did one enlistment, Never spent a dime. Rode a bicycle to work. Ate at the chow hall. Never really went anywhere. All your basc needs are provided for. He had 10s of thousands when he got out that he spent on a wedding and starting a life with his HS sweetheart.

Another guy did 20, maybe 20+ years. Only lived on one income, I don't remember whether his or his wife's but had about a million in the bank when he retired from the Marines, in addition to military retirement and benefits.
>>
>>1191160
Should I spend a year going to a different country(ies) or go straight into the millitary?
>>
>>1191163
Up to you. I advise going to a recruiter and see how long the wait is first. Don;t want to ravel for a year, and then find out you can't go to boot camp for another 6 moths to a year. Or that you are not qualified
>>
>>1191164
ill have nothing going for me if he disqualifies me.

Literally. Nothing. Cant even get a job at mcdonalds
>>
>>1191163
You should know that recruiters frown upon visits to certain countries, this was news to me.
>>
>>1191190
It's not that. I was a recruiter. Basically everyone that joins as to get a background check, the same one that qualifies you for a secret clearance. YOu have to list every country you have visited in the last 7 years ont that check, and all the information is vetted. So a long list of foreign countries means your check takes longer. It could also potentailly delay your enlistment, or waht jobs you qualify for. Speaking of which, a lot of travel in the military was discussed here, but do note that international personal travel, if done properly, is headache. Permission from your command, theater command, and the country, in addition to other requirements.
>>
Anyone know if there's an Australian equivalent?
>>
>>1191193
>and all the information is vetted.
How?
And what if I already have secret clearance because it was needed for a civilian job, does that help?
>>
>>1191114
Being stationed in Japan as a marine is like being stationed in hell. Enjoy all your gay restrictions.

Navy stationed in Sasebo here. Best time of my life. Saw thailand, Guam, Australia, Taiwan, Okinawa more times than I'd have liked to, Korea, China, Hong Kong, oman, dubai, Malaysia, Yemen, and some other places I don't quite remember.
>>
>>1191253
All those restrictions are in place because you guys are fucking animals. I've met people that served else where and they seemed fine, but everyone they send over to Japan has to go around fighting and raping everything on wasted rampages and just giving America a bad name
>>
>>1191257
This, I'm still cringing about some of the stuff I've read.

Some Japanese businesses have popped up to cater to them though; not that it's much consolation.
>>
>>1191253
Not true. Last incident Navy was on lock down. Literally had all the alcohol saran wrapped tot he shelf. Marines were fine. Especially on Iwakuni.
>>
>>1191262
Probably read old stuff. Watch Anthony Bourdain's Parts Unknown Okinawa episode for how people really feel about the military. He even tried to shit on them the whole episode, but people were like maw, they are great. Better than the Chinese tourists who would be hear otherwise.
>>
Op's pic makes me boner
>>
>>1191193
Would i have problems traveling to Russia, eastern Europe and SEA before joining airforce?

It was also my goal to finish my bachelors degree, reward myself with travel, then join Air Force if i return and cant find good enough Job prospects
>>
Just finished up a 2 year stint in Mozambique with the Peace Corps. Fire away with any questions.
>>
>>1192192
Did you get laid?
>>
>>1192197
Oh yeah
>>
>>1192192

Do you get to pick where you want to go? Are all the destinations in Africa? Do you have a lot of freedom when your their?
>>
>>1192200
Other aid workers or locals?
>>
>>1192452
When I applied, we didn't have a choice. The recruiter nominated me for Moz and I went with it. Nowadays you get preference lists and such, so you have more power. Do some basic research on locations. No they aren't all in Africa. Just a majority. Loads of freedom once you're at site, there's almost 0 monitoring by the org.

>>1192453
Expats and workers. Too scared of HIV to date locals.
>>
>>1192509
How much do you get paid?
>>
what kind of "skills" exactly do you need to join the peacecorps? I was always under the impression it was like joining the army, in that all that matters is that you work hard and keep your head straight. but now I keep hearing about people who have rejected applications? I thought it was an inclusive volunteer organization
>>
>>1192511
Equivalent of about $100 a month
>>1192708
You need a relevant degree, usually some language skill, volunteer work to show commitment to service, etc. It isn't like the army, peace corps has no shortage of applications and it isn't a "more bodies is better" type of org. Many people do get rejected
>>
>>1191092
>>1190526

This.

Two of my best friends are currently serving in the Peace Corps. One is stationed in Moldova and the other is in Tanzania. To qualify for joining, you either have to have a bachelors degree or significant experience in an administrative, professional, or agricultural field. While I didn't get the impression that selection was particularly tough, you can't just be a lazy fuck-up looking for a sponsored getaway.

The Peace Corps is ultimately a government program and one in which a substantial amount of money is invested in volunteers. Your language training and cultural training is substantial. You'll have to spend your first three months living with a host family and taking classes for eight hours per day.

Volunteers receive stipends which allow them to cover their basic expenses. My friend in Tanzania gets about $250 per month, plus a house which is provided by his community (apparently it has a courtyard and is pretty big. He told me that some other volunteers live in huge fucking houses). Buddy in Moldova gets about the same. They both say it's more money than they can spend without splurging.

According to them, you don't really know what the fuck you're doing for the first few months. If you're open-minded and engage with your assigned community, you can do some pretty cool stuff. I'm impressed with the program one of my two friends set up - it's genuinely helpful, sustainable, and improves the quality of life of locals.

Don't expect to get much money, debt relief, or to save the people of wherever you go. You get $10,000 at the end of your 2 years and a free ticket home (or the cash equivalent of transportation from your location to your doorstep).

I'm probably going to apply after I get my degree, TBQH.
>>
>>1192797
>You need a relevant degree, usually some language skill, volunteer work to show commitment to service, etc.
holy shit. those recruiters that come into school do not tell you what you need to know. they act like its some magical saving grace when you graduate and can't get a job, volunteer to help make a difference in the world and defer your loans !!
>>
>>1192797
>Equivalent of about $100 a month
I thought it was about $10K for a hitch. Is all room and board handled? I will have outside income, a military retirement check, so money is not an issue.
>>
>>1192821

There's no set income. Your stipend depends on where you're being sent. My friend in Moldova receives slightly more money than my friend in Tanzania, the latter of whom gets about $250 per month.

The $10,000 you receive is at the end of your two years of service.
>>
>>1192840
Is there vacation time? Is that 10K tax free? What happens if you decide you don't want to do within the two years
>>
File: USSJFK.jpg (40KB, 400x266px) Image search: [Google]
USSJFK.jpg
40KB, 400x266px
>>1191114
>4 yrs in the Navy here.

the best service to see the world. However, seeing ports is a minor part of your time there. We would visit ports for maybe 3 or 4 days, and one of those days you have Duty (Guard Duty/General work)

But I did see a lot of countries that I've would've never set foot in otherwise. This includes Spain, Greece, Italy, Turkey, Dubai, Bahrain, and Malta. Maybe I'm missing a couple.

That was 10 years ago. Now married with kids, two dogs, mortgage, two car notes, and credit cards; I'm lucky just to visit my local Buffet and movie theater without the kids.

A dark part of my mind sometimes tells me to drop everything! and escape. $65k a year would take me really far if I was alone.
>>
>>1193003

Really think a lot of that depends on your position.

My friend in Tanzania is a science and mathematics teacher for his village. Since he only works during the school year, he sometimes gets breaks to travel around. He came home to the States to see his family for two months last summer. The way he describes it, a lot of Peace Corps volunteers run off for weeks at a time without notifying their supervisors and just go wherever the fuck they want inside their country or using their regular passport.

Not sure about if the $10k is tax free. Google it.

If you don't want to complete the service there's no penalty, but you don't get the $10k.
>>
>>1192802
Good summary.
>>1192821
I received such a small sum because Mozambique's economy is in the shitter, and our pay is pegged to their economy, not the States'. So if the value of Mozambique's currency drops significantly, so does the market value of our stipend. Thankfully, since most goods in extremely poor nations aren't pegged to the world, or in this case America's, standard, the price of goods doesn't increase relative to your pay. This is especially true when the things you buy most are produce and non-import items.
>>1193003
You're alotted 2 days vacation per month of service, to be used outside or inside country travel. You also receive 4 days a month to leave site and go do whatever in-country. So often I'd take my 4 days and go visit other volunteers or go to the beach or whatever. The 2 days of vacation I stacked the first year for 24 days back in the States to see my family over the holidays. You have a ton of freedom, though. If a person is so inclined, they could travel whenever they wanted with little to no supervision or repercussion. Having said that, a buddy of mine did get booted after being out of country without permission. It's rare, but the hammer does come down, and when it does you're done.

10k isn't tax free. All in all I received about $8500, including an allowance for travel back home post-service. They give you an option: either Peace Corps buys your plane ticket to your home of record, or they give you $1800 to find your own way home. A fool takes the first option. I sucked 5 flights out of my $1800 whereas theirs is only 1.

You can quit anytime you want. My roommate quit after 2 months. He made the call to Peace Corps on a Sunday night, he was home by Tuesday. They don't fuck around.
>>
>>1193202

How well did you connect with the other volunteers?

Both of my friends serving now are immigrants-cum-citizens. They said that a lot of the "ordinary American" volunteers seemed disconnected from their communities. My buddy in Tanzania said that a lot of the younger Peace Corps members complain about the locals being annoying and have few local friends, whereas he's managed to become a local celebrity (he's an atheist but has a Muslim name and is stationed in a Muslim area - apparently all the townspeople think he's devout and like him more because of his "Islamic background," kek).

He also said there were some problems with female volunteers sleeping with their host brothers whoring around in their villages.

Other guy said the same thing about the Peace Corps in Moldova. He went in as a fluent speaker of English, Polish, and Russian, and had to learn Romanian for his training.

Neither of them were hating on anybody. Sounds like an interesting dynamic to me.

Hopefully I can get in once I finish my degree. I'd be fine going just about anywhere, I suppose, although it'd be great to have two years without having to fucking deal with snow.
>>
>>1193206
>host brothers
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>1193212

You live with a host family for your first three months while receiving language training. Volunteers can live alone after they've been given their site.

"Host brother" just refers to your "brother" within the host family.
>>
>>1193213
So fucking locals? Do men fuck locals?
>>
>>1193216

One of my two friends is a homo and hasn't fucked anyone. The other lost his virginity (don't laugh. The guy is really good-looking, and I have no idea how he managed to stay a virgin for so long).
>>
a friend of mine is doing it to get college debt forgiven. All he does is teach english in Armenia, in shitty little towns up in the mountains and such. Nice if you want to see a country in depth, but I'd say just don't get caught in the debt trap in the first place.

https://www.peacecorps.gov/volunteer/benefits/student-loan-information/
>>
Its a really smart way to get a social science grad school so you don't have to pay as much but you still really want to do it. The experience is insanely high value, you can find a good Peace Corps College they might give you super discounted tuition. Look up University of Arizona they are one of the top 5 for that.

Its really good exp for say, a thesis on Tanzanian water quality or something. Then do your PhD.

Then when graduated you will have a quality resume and have a better than average (still bad) chance at getting a job.
>>
>>1193206
I was pretty integrated, though in truth it's hard not to be. I was the only white dude within a 200km radius, everybody wants to talk to this almost alien-like presence walking their streets. One of my favorite things to do, of which there were very few, was just walk around and bullshit with people. Living without electricity forces a person to seek entertainment outside the house. There ain't shit to do inside.

Other volunteers too. I've made a handful of friends that I'm confident I'll see for the rest of my life.

You should definitely go for it. Best decision I ever made was to go.
>>
>>1191201
AVID is all I know of, I remember looking up their assignments and the requirements were quite stringent.
>>
>>1194080
Damn that seems cool. Does anyone know how much debt they forgive and if it works in Canada?
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.