[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Advertisement | Home]

RV US or TEFL abroad

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 7

File: 00C0C_jNDBQcwSVfj_600x450.jpg (24KB, 337x450px) Image search: [Google]
00C0C_jNDBQcwSVfj_600x450.jpg
24KB, 337x450px
Hello! First time posting here. I would like to get some opinions from travelers. I have had a severe case of wanderlust for a few years now. I am at a very flexible point in my life, and I would like some advice on which direction to take. I’ll try to be straight and to the point, it’s going to be long anyways though. HERE GOES

>23 year old living in US
>college dropout (could probably get an associates, maybe a bachelors, in SOMETHING relatively easily with my 2.5 yrs. of credits) I also have a class A CDL
>halfway decent in speaking Spanish, I could re-learn fairly quickly
>single, no children
>working a shit job (previous employment isn’t too impressive, mainly warehouse work)
>I have two classic cars for sale, after they sell and I repay a debt, I’ll probably have ~$5,000 to play with
>I have an RV (pic related)

After I quit school (didn’t know what I wanted to study, didn’t want to get into debt without direction) I decided that I was at a good point in my life to travel. At first I decided that making a campervan was my way to go. Then, two vans later, I decided a small RV was the way to go. (Can’t really shit and shower in a van). I wanted to travel the US independently in an RV. I got my RV about 7 months ago, and have had a decent amount of mechanical work done on it. It is still a project though, and needs much more before I’d be content with putting it to the test. This will cost $money$, I’d like a 500watt+ solar setup, new carb, etc. It will be a mobile apartment when I’m done with it.

I’m sparing details, but hopefully that is clear. I have a project RV, I will soon have enough $ to make it quite the vessel. It will take time though, and I’m kind of unhappy with my life, and pursuing the RV will prolong my unhappiness. Might be worth it afterwards, though.

(see next comment)
>>
File: 00606_897hMmi7JDH_600x450.jpg (28KB, 337x450px) Image search: [Google]
00606_897hMmi7JDH_600x450.jpg
28KB, 337x450px
I have also had another idea lurking in my mind for a while. Getting a TEFL cert and using that as a basic means of travel. If I were to do this, I think I would like to go to South America or Spain. (and I would learn Spanish for obvious reasons.) There’s a TEFL course taught at a university about ~35 mins from me. The cost is $1,100:

https://www.oxfordseminars.com/tesol-tesl-tefl-course/details/

So I’m kind of at an impasse. I’ve been toying with the van/RV idea for a while, and haven’t made too much progress. It’s something I definitely want to continue to pursue, but is that my best travel option NOW? The RV will eat a lot of money and will take a lot of time. I’m kind of tired of “wasting” my time pursuing this. Trying to fix up the RV has held my life back in a way. I’m definitely not living my life to the fullest, and it really sucks because I’m young and I have minimal responsibilities.

tldr; RV for U.S. travel or TEFL & go abroad?
>>
File: 70gl-motorhome-cover.jpg (46KB, 540x703px) Image search: [Google]
70gl-motorhome-cover.jpg
46KB, 540x703px
Bump
>>
Bump
>>
Why do you have a cdl?
What is your experience level and how long ago did you use it?
>>
File: 70gl-motorhome-pg2.jpg (121KB, 697x907px) Image search: [Google]
70gl-motorhome-pg2.jpg
121KB, 697x907px
>>1191891
I was working a dead end job, and found out about the training program (which ended up being FREE) so I quit my job and pursued the CDL. I got my CDL a little over two months ago and I haven't officially used it. I don't really want to drive a semi, but I would be willing to drive a box truck. My dad has a small trucking company (Just 2 employees) which could be a great opportunity for me, but I don't think driving a big rig is a good fit for me.. Maybe I'm just a pansy, but damn I find it intimidating.
>>
>>1191897
CDL schools just barely teaches you to pass the exam.
It takes a while with a trainer to get the hang of driving the truck.
Guys like you can just live in the truck and save rent.
I saved 10k in my first six months and I was not even being frugal.
You also learn about living on the road.
>>
File: 70gl-motorhome-pg6.jpg (105KB, 676x907px) Image search: [Google]
70gl-motorhome-pg6.jpg
105KB, 676x907px
>>1191905
I agree that the class taught you how to pass the test, not necessarily how to be a trucker. It's true that being single I'm in a good position to bank from trucking.
DRIVING the truck (moving forward) isn't that bad, it's everything else. Backing up, parking, etc.
$10k in 6 months is great. Did you work for a major trucking company? How many hrs/week?
>>
>>1190031
If you're definitely open to getting the TEFL, there are plenty of opportunities in South America. I know some guys who have made a career out of teaching English and live very comfortably down here.
>>
File: 70gl-motorhome-pg3.jpg (111KB, 703x907px) Image search: [Google]
70gl-motorhome-pg3.jpg
111KB, 703x907px
>>1191913
I am very much considering a TEFL. If I go that route, I'd probably go for Peru or Ecuador. Or Spain, but I'd imagine that's harder to get into. I've just been turned on to "Auxiliares de Conversacion", a government teaching program in Spain. Unfortunately I don't have a bachelor's degree though.. which seems to be a requirement. Today I talked to an adviser at my local community college, I could get an associates degree in a semester basically, but it would probably take a year and a half for a bachelors.. :(
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.