[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you ever feel slightly creepy when you're going to certain

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 5

File: 1480128860486.jpg (117KB, 425x425px) Image search: [Google]
1480128860486.jpg
117KB, 425x425px
Do you ever feel slightly creepy when you're going to certain places alone while solo traveling?
>>
Unless it's places like bars, clubs, etc where you can easily find a group to join I can't think of any place where it wouldn't be normal to be at alone, so no
>>
>>1189835
Interesting, must be just me then. I've gone to castles and museums and other similar places alone and sometimes felt creepy since I was some random lone 20-something surrounded by a bunch of families.
>>
>>1189835
>where you can easily find a group
really? In a bar?
>>
>>1189835
This, I think.

Not sure I understand OP's question though.....like am I creeped out by being somewhere different or do you think I'm creeping other people out? I don't think about this shit anyway, just relax it'll be cool.
>>
>>1189835
How do you join a group in a bar?
>>
Sometimes when i'm the only solo visitor but that's rare
>>
>>1189854
>>1189860
find the foreigners
>>
>>1189860
Look obviously foreign, big smile, innocent chit-chat. To be fair, it is easier in some countries than in others.
>>
>>1189903
Fucking normies.
>>
>>1189903
How exactly do I jump in to a conversation? I'm socially autistic as fuck so I use travel as an avenue to try to be more outgoing.
>>
>>1189926
>implying

>>1189933
Only because of dem dubdubs, anon. This is actually pretty difficult to put into words. And it's also going to seem like I do it all the time and like it's difficult, neither of which is true.

>Be a foreigner in a foreign place
>Go to a bar which seems conducive to this kind of thing, not a titty-bar or a snobby coffee place, but e.g. a bar where college students gather
>Don't try to get set with the group of five attractive blonde girls hanging out together
>Go with the flow :^)
>Basically, if something weird/funny/interesting happens (shit I don't know, a fight, somebody falls, you get back more change than you expected), remark on it to whoever is standing closest to you. If they don't want a chat, they'll smile and nod politely. If not, chit-chat commences.
But if you're "socially autistic", just go to a hostel and chat up the Germans there. :DDDD
>>
File: 20160920_115025.jpg (1MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
20160920_115025.jpg
1MB, 2592x1944px
>>1189903
The only place I had a problem with this was in Paris. I felt fucking invisible and I'm Mr. Outgoing social butterfly.

Pic related. The only French pals I made.
>>
>>1190035
Is the rest of France as bad? I'm planning on going to Toulouse in June
>>
>>1190035
Generally in Europe we don't care much for strangers chatting us up. It's a cultural thing.

Burgers seem creepy to us when they try to chat us up for anything other than asking directions or stuff like that.

t. medpack living in spain
>>
File: 1476338402852.jpg (32KB, 640x423px) Image search: [Google]
1476338402852.jpg
32KB, 640x423px
>>1190182
I've heard other parts of France are friendlier.

>>1190207
Really? I had a great time in Spain meeting and hanging out with locals. Although I was introduced to many people by an acquaintance who lives there. That probably made a big difference. And the Portuguese were extremely friendly. Germans were nice to me, too. That was way back in 2005.

Anyway, I can understand the tourist fatigue Parisians must feel.
>>
>>1190207
>>1190221
When I was in Portugal I had a pretty easy time making friends, though pretty much all of them were friends of people I already knew.

I never really initiated small talk but at one point this woman running a cafe in Peniche wasn't too busy and actually purposely made some small talk with me since she noticed I was learning the language and wanted to be helpful. Then there was this time at a cafe in Lisbon where this guy asked me if I was French and I said no and explained I was a burger, but then spoke this weird mix of French and Portuguese. I was confused and asked if he was Portuguese and he said yes then showed me his membership card to PNR (this far right party) and started talking about how he didn't like Muslims or the Chinese moving there and started bragging about how he fought in Africa.
>>
>>1190221
>Although I was introduced to many people by an acquaintance who lives there. That probably made a big difference.
Well, yes. Someone who has been introduced to you is not a stranger.
>>
>>1190223
>about how he fought in Africa
Where exactly?
>>
>>1190243
Probably Angola or Mozambique, since in the 60s and 70s Portugal had a war to keep their African colonies.

It was a long, incoherent rant in Portuguese so I probably missed a few details.
>>
File: IMG_20151123_140922.jpg (703KB, 2880x1728px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151123_140922.jpg
703KB, 2880x1728px
>>1190244
When I was in Cuba I met a girl whose father fought in Angola.
>>
I'm a mid-twenties white male living in america. I feel slightly creepy no matter what I'm doing. That's just the world we live in now. You have to ignore it and realize the people who use the word "creepy" to describe a person are usually vapid and uninteresting anyway.

Creepy is just one of those words that got overused to the point where it doesn't really matter anymore.
>>
>>1190247
Did the Cubans send people or was her father Portuguese?
>>
>>1190248
So I shouldn't have listened to that chick who sent me an essay length message about how I'm creepy and manipulative before she cut off all contact with me? Great.
>>
File: fidel castro en nelson mandela.jpg (284KB, 1111x833px) Image search: [Google]
fidel castro en nelson mandela.jpg
284KB, 1111x833px
>>1190249
Cuba repelled the South African invasion in Angola and played a major role in ending apartheid in both South Africa and Namibia.
>>
>>1190251
I need to read up more on Southern African history. Anyway, I'd also like to hit up Cuba some time before it goes full capitalist. Not sure how long that will be.
>>
>>1190223
>he didn't like Muslims or the Chinese moving there

Please tell me they're not going to ruin Portugal.
>>
>>1190254
I hardly saw any Arabs while I was there, and I was staying in a very immigrant heavy neighborhood (Mouraria). Most of the immigrants I came across were in Lisbon, I'd say they were mostly African (Angola and Mozambique) and Indian. Outside of Lisbon, though, pretty much everyone was white. Most of the foreigners I met in Caldas da Rainha were French or Ukrainian.
>>
It's perfectly fine to travel alone. The only things which could be akward are going to be guided and daylong tours or things you usually do with a mate like taking a gondola in venice.

Nobody cares if you're exploring a castle, lay down at the beach or if you hike alone.
>>
>>1190223
>PNR
oh boy ahah
He was a Benfica fan for sure, am I right?
at least it was a war veteran, those guys are always lunatics and fun to listen to, you wouldn't want to talk to young people associated with PNR
>>
>>1190254
>>1190256
foreigners here make up only around 5% of the population and they're only represented in sizeable communities in the two big cities plus Algarve due to the retired brits. Most are from China, Ukraine, India and Angola/Cape Verde/Mozambique and are not a problem at all
>>
>>1190357
>He was a Benfica fan for sure, am I right?
Fuck if I know. All of my tuga friends are from Benfiquista families and as far as I know none of them have PNR supporters in the family. Except for one of them her mom is an utter lunatic.

>those guys are always lunatics and fun to listen to
A friend of mine has an alentejano grandfather who fought in Angola but never talks about it.

>young people associated with PNR
Typical skinheads and other white power kids?
>>
>>1190223
>>1190221
yeah being introduced makes it completely different. you know it's not someone desperate, a murderer, rapist/scammer if you're introduced by a friend
>>
>>1189830
Only felt creepy masturbating from my porch in a beach house I rented in Kona Hawaii.. its hard not to when ya got a nude beach right in front of your fucking rental.
>>
>>1189830

Well, I've travelled a lot for work. I was in Shanghai and a family noted I was eating by my self and they invited me to join them.

In Hong Kong, I went to McD's and a young lady plopped down in the chair opposite me, handed me a paper with her info on it, "marry me" she said, lol.

And in Thailand its hard to eat by yourself before people want to join you or invite you to do something.
>>
>>1190892
>And in Thailand its hard to eat by yourself before people want to join you or invite you to do something.

Please tell me you made this up. I heading to Thailand soon and don't want to be bothered.
>>
I've been solo around the world for 14 months now. At first I felt a little awkward about dining out at even casual restaurants, but now that's all gone away. After a while you realize that it's all in your head and the only person that cares is you. It's especially true when you're an obvious foreigner - if anyone actually noticed they'd just assume you're traveling solo, which isn't really weird.

The only places I still have trouble is at certain bars/clubs. I don't have the balls to approach people so unless I'm a big novelty as a white guy and people spark up conversations, I just feel awkward.
>>
>>1190957
Yes he's full of shit. Maybe if you're talking about eating at a hostel, where there are lots of solo travelers that want to include you in stuff. People aren't going to randomly invite you to their table or even acknowledge your existence in a restaurant.
>>
>>1190957

I've travelled quite a lot for work, I carry some business looking papers with me and if, say, they look like a tout or salesman, I'll tell them that I have a deadline and I cannot be bothered.

If they don't take a hint, like an agressive salesperson, ask the waiter to have the person removed.
>>
>>1190990
And you are a faggot, maybe its because you are a cunt or look like a pedo
>>
>>1190892
>Hong Kong, I went to McD's and a young lady plopped down in the chair opposite me, handed me a paper with her info on it, "marry me" she said, lol.

What the fuck, this is the third story I've heard of random women in Hong Kong asking foreigners to marry them or impregnate them. Never hear stories like this from any other place.
>>
>>1189946
the last part is the best advice
>>
>>1190254
>portugal
>white
>>
>>1191085
>Never hear stories like this from any other place.

They do it, but not typically that direct, so no really random I guess. Online and matchmaking services aside.
>>
>>1190207
>t. medpack living in spain

It was Southern Spain, Andalusia, but they were all about the small talk. Same with Sicily. But now that I think about it, only service people, like taxi drivers and bartenders, were in Northern Spain/Saragosa.
>>
>>1189869
This is a good tip even in a domestic city. Go to the backpacker bars.
>>
>>1189946
>>1191088
w-what's the joke about the germans supposed to imply desu
>>
>>1191405

That germans are generally socially autistic by nature. Certainly not all but the majority are.

Basically if you are an autist and want to fit right in they are your type of crowd.
>>
>>1191090
I didn't say anything about anyone being white. I'm talking Muslims and Chinese.
>>
>>1190227
>>1190414
Absolutely true. In Seville, I met some great Spanish people without having the connection I did in Madrid.

Lovely city.
>>
I never understood why people think it's creepy if someone is traveling alone. Honestly just get over it. I think it truly is all in your head.
>>
>>1191490
If you're travelling alone, that must mean you have no friends. If you have no friends, it means you're creepy.
I think that's what goes through the mind of people thinking travelling alone is creepy.
>>
I've traveled alone a lot over the past 10 years and hardly felt "creepy".
Granted I have felt like the odd loner dude whenever I was waiting in a queue and the person managing the line says something like "oh - its just you by yourself?"
>>
>>1190769
Are your eyes really that good?
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.