[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bulgaria

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6

File: Plovdiv_Bulgaria.jpg (645KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
Plovdiv_Bulgaria.jpg
645KB, 2048x1536px
So I'll probably be travelling to Bulgaria in late January/early February. I'll be flying to Sofia and then travelling to Plovdiv.

What should I expect? How bad is the gypsy problem? Will people speak much English? Do Bulgarian women like foreigners?
>>
Cyrillic letters at least. Never been myself.
>>
Local here. Have guided many a'4channers through Sofia and Plovdiv.

>January/early February
Winter and snow. On the cold unpleasant sector. Depending on when the snow falls are cities may look nice or very depressing thanks to post-Soviet era decay.

>How bad is the gypsy problem?
It will not affect you. In Sofia they stick to the ghetto. In Plovdiv they are a BIT more civilized. You might actually see some.

>Will people speak much English?
Fair amount. Network ahead on Couchsurfting/Tinder.

>Do Bulgarian women like foreigners?
Just because you're foreign? No.

Where you from, senpai. What do you want to get out of Bulgaria? How long you stayin, budget, etc. I can show you around Sofia if you want to meet up.
>>
>>1189793
Thanks M8. I'll be staying with an American friend who'll be living in Plovdiv for a month. I'll be staying a week or so.
>What do you want to get out of Bulgaria
I just want to travel to somewhere new. I like comfy cities. My friend and I like to drink so we'll probably wander the streets, going from bar to bar.
>>
File: BGmaplarge.jpg (864KB, 1525x1074px) Image search: [Google]
BGmaplarge.jpg
864KB, 1525x1074px
>>1189794
Sounds great. Absolutely ask for "rakia" and "greiana rakia (heated rakia)". Top quality bulgarian booze for the furious storms.

Here's a random suggestion,

Right underneath Sofia is Rila Monastery, it's a perfect season to visit it because of it's mountainous location.

Proceed to Plovdiv, your friend will take care of you there.

Definitely climb Shipka pass/Buzludzha flying saucer. Prepare warm clothing.

Veliko Tarnovo is the medieval capital of Bulgaria.

Skiing happens around Sofia, the resort is called Borovets.
Bansko is the most famous ski-resort, near by is Dobrinishte.
Some more skiing happens at Pamporovo is where locals might actually go.
>>
>>1189799
Unfortunately I'm flying to Sofia and then going straight to Plovdiv so I won't get to see the city.

I'm looking forward to going. I know almost nothing about Bulgaria so it will be an adventure.

Thanks again.
>>
>>1189799

Is there a way to reach Buzludzha by public transport? Planning the same trip as OP in the same period and would love to see it, as I've been to Sofia and Plovdiv already.
>>
>>1189793
How easy is it to buy a car if you came from the us without a DL
>>
>>1190069
No issue at all. Hope you don't intend to drive it, though.

>>1189864
Not the saucer directly. You can get to a near by town and proceed to climb the peak on your own.
>>
>>1190089

>You can get to a near by town and proceed to climb the peak on your own.

That would be a fucking long walk, Its like 25 mins by car from Kazanluk, the nearest major town.

OP should get to Kazanluk and ask at a hotel if they know a guide that can take him up there, they might just ring their cousin that could be happy to drive you to the peak for 10-20 euro and wait there for an hour. Alternatively get a taxi to take you up, though it might cost a bit of money if you want him to stick around till you come out and they might be not too happy driving through deep snow (the road to the peak and the building isn't cleared and gets heavy snowfall in winter, we nearly bogged our car and had to walk for about 1.5km in a blizzard to reach the peak).

Alternatively make a friend while in Bulgaria or online and see if they want to do it too, lots of Bulgarians know about the site but have never actually been there.
>>
File: received_1252289591500801.jpg (144KB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
received_1252289591500801.jpg
144KB, 2048x1365px
>>1189864
Hey, I went there a couple weeks ago. Public transport would be a huge pain in the ass. Funky Monkey hostel offers tours there for 40lev, or for much cheaper and with more freedom you could rent a car in a group. Very much luck dependent though if you find people who are willing and can drive.

I recommend stopping by Shipka Pass (has intresting history) and viewing sunset from it.
>>
>>1190089
Can I get one for really cheap and fucked up
>>
I'm planning a trip to Sofia in early February too, I'll be there for a week on business but with lots of free time. Could you recommend any cafes/restaurants? Is Rila Monastery easy to reach with public transport?

Also, should I be worried if I'm a tiny female?
>>
File: 20160913_191407.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160913_191407.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
>>1190109
Hi.

>>1190261
Yes.

>>1191489
Skaptoburger and BOOMBURGER for hipstery burger joints
Divaka for a casual night out
>pic related
O!Shipka for a very casual dining experience
Sense Rooftop bar has a nice view of Sofia, it's good for "off the record" business meetings
Roket Bar Rakia and Sputnik (they are next to each other) are my favorite bars, serve traditional Bulgarian alcohol remixed into great cocktails, soviet-themed bar.

These are that come off the top of my head.

Safe for tiny females. Let me know if you want to show you around.
>>
>>1191494
Do you also know any good shopping places? Preferably second hand shops or less touristy places
>>
File: 1469175603408.gif (1MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1469175603408.gif
1MB, 320x240px
>>1191819
Ugh yeah, what are you interested in?
>>
>>1191819
Perhaps walk around the old part of Sofia and more specifically the "Kirkov" market.
You have been warned.
>>
File: 20161217_160134.jpg (3MB, 5104x2656px) Image search: [Google]
20161217_160134.jpg
3MB, 5104x2656px
Back from there.

It was exactly what I expected it to be, bretty cool.

>>1192599
Na'h, nothing will happen.

Anyway, if people are still interested in shopping, I would recommend bazaar Iliantzi. It's international levels of trade, you will meet people from China, Jamaica, Iraq.... fun times! :D
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.