[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

2 weeks in New York

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 2

File: 1479723771959.png (2MB, 1800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1479723771959.png
2MB, 1800x1200px
Going to new york from 2/24 to 3/11.

It's my second time visiting the states (first time was Miami). Travelling along with my gf and 2 buddies (Syrian bull and bull prepper). I have about 5000$ to spend.

To any locals or anyone else who has been in the area:

- What places should I visit?
- Where should I go outside Manhattan?
- Any recommendations on where to buy clothes?
- Any recommendations for electronics/hardware outside of newegg/amazon/microcenter?
- Any must-visit places to eat?
- Any way I could see a baseball game while I'm there?
Any insight would be much appreciated!
>>
>>1188776
For Tourist spots,restaurants and such get the Time Out guide. Tells you anything you want to know.
Too early for baseball.
For electronics,go to B&H on Ninth Avenue and 34 Street. Owned by Hasid Jews so look up opening and closing times.
Outside of Manhattan:Bronx zoo,Hall of Science,Queens County Farm,Louis Armstrong House,Transit museum.
>>
>>1188776
Eat at Jacob's Pickles is a god damn must, Le Parisien, Mission, X'ian's Famous Foods (get the spicy lamburger), Five guys, fuck shake shack

In Queens, there's the Museum of the Moving Image, Queens Museum (very small) and the Hall of Science. PS1 MoMa has some pretty funky stuff

In Brooklyn, there's the Transit Museum, Brooklyn Museum, and of course the Brooklyn Bridge in DUMBO

To my surprise, the 9/11 museum was REALLY good and the new train station in the wtc is really futuristic and new. Avoid the observation deck for the wtc though.

The ferry to the statue of liberty is free, but you can't go inside the statue

MoMA, museum of natural history, the American section of the Met has some really impressive and famous paintings. ALSO, the met and natural history have pay what you want policy so ask them about it

Biking in the city is really fun and faster then the subway. You can get some really amazing views of the city
>>
>>1188817
>Five guys

It's a chain, why would you want to eat that shit?

>Biking in late February
It's freezing out and there's snow and slush all over the place. I'd suggest the subway as you'll be going in and out of terrible NYC traffic. It's shitty to drive, even shittier to bike.
>>
>>1188817
Biking is not faster than the subway
>>
Just a few suggestions
The Lower East Side, East Village and Williamsburg for some cool bars (Williamsburg is in Brooklyn).

Prospect Park and Coney Island in Brooklyn if it happens to be warm out.
>>
>>1188842
>>1188841
>>1188824
>>1188817
>>1188779
Definitely appreciated!

How snowy is it in late February/early March? I'm Russian so I'm used to snow, just wondering if it would start melting by the start of March.

Also, anyone been to Brooklyn's botanic garden during winter? Is it all frozen to hell or would that be acceptable to visit?
>>
>>1188871
Usually it stops snowing by that point but is still cold. If you're lucky it might be kind of warm.

Also there's a Soviet themed bar in Manhattan called KGB House (or something like that) that I think is cool
>>
>>1188931
This one?
http://www.kgbbar.com
>>
>>1189240
Yes. I probably wouldn't spend the whole night there but it's a cool place to stop by for a drink or two.
>>
>>1188776
Go to the micro center in Brooklyn for electronics.
Not sure if you knew we had an actual store.
>>
>>1188776
Also if a stranger tries to put a cd in your hand do not accept. especially do not give them money. Fuck dont give anyone money except vets and people with kids or dogs, Everyone else is probably on drugs
>>
>>1188817
>>1188776
>moma
do not go here it's just modern trash

The MET has an amazing ancient Greece and Rome wing that you can spend hours in and instead of paying just walk into the gift shop at first and then out the back of the gift shop into the rest of the museum
>>
>>1189424
So you can pretty much get in for free? Neat!

>>1189421
I was aware there was one or two stores in Brooklyn - I'll definitely make sure to hit those up.

Also - I'm planning on renting a car for 3 separate days, so no parking is invovled. Any tips on driving in NYC? I need the car for Woodbury/New Jersey outlets

By the way, any suggestions on mobile plans/SIM cards I should get? I've been reading online and the t-mobile 30$ plan has been popping up frequently. Anything else worthwhile? All I'd need the plan for is GPS/whatsapp
>>
>>1189423
Why would you ever give money to beggars?
>>
>>1189668
Not him but I can't fucking help myself.
>>
>>1189529
Renting a car in the NYC area is expensive. Under 25s are out of luck. Make sure you have a credit card. Try Zipcar for short hauls. Driving in Manhattan,be super alert. Cars aren't the problem but bikes and walkers are. If you are coming during the holidays beware of gridlock days where Midtown traffic is hideous.
>>
>>1189804
I totally think he should skip the car
>>
>>1188776
If you like sushi, i always recommend takahachi in east village

other than that, i recommend just going to the brooklyn bridge park during both the day and night

for clothes, it really depends what you like i guess. just walk around soho youll find every atelier ever

b&h and andorama are both p good, but run by jews. willoughby's too iirc (im not much of a photo man so i dont really know)

i think mets games are really cheap so just go out a bit into queens for that shouldnt be hard

id also look around for a true ny deli (aka not run by a paki) and just grab whatever youre feelin
>>
>>1189804
I'm 23 and I got a hertz rental with a 35$ underage surcharge. I rented a full car for one day and a minivan for 2 other days. In total, it's about 300 bucks, ( between 6 people, as two more buddies will join us later on)

The main and only reason for the car is convenience. I've checked and most bus fares to Woodbury outlets were between 30 and 40$ - these usually departed early but also returned before 6pm.

By renting the car, I can go to Woodbury and drop off all the shit at the hotel.

I can also use the car to get to both jersey outlets - I know there's a bus/train to both, but it's very tine consuming and not particularly cheaper to use public transport to get from Jersey gardens to Jersey Shore outlets.

Really appreciate the advice though. I've made the reservation online and the fags want to jew me work insurance. Any way I could waive that shit? I'd rather use the rental insurance of my Mastercard.

By the way, I also hooked a flight to Boston (1 day) and a greyhound ticket to and from Washington (1 day as well). If you had like 12 hours to visit each, what would be essential to visit? I'm particularly interested in the freedom trail, Boston museum of science MIT and Harvard campus in Boston and the whole presidential /white house stuff in Washington
>>
>>1190032
Mets won't be in season, he's better off seeing a basketball game.

If you go to the Bronx zoo I would also recommend the Bronx Botanical Gardens, getting something to eat on Arthur Avenue, and seeing the Edgar Allen Poe house. Be warned, though. Lots of.. unseemly folks in the neighborhood.
>>
>>1190032
What's wrong with a deli run by a "Paki"? I hate to break it to you, but it's not 1960 anymore with German delis everywhere and Italians singing doo wop on the corners
>>
>>1190080
Also in The Bronx, they should check out a Oaxacan restaurant in Mott Haven called La Morada
>>
>>1190032
>>1190032
Yemenis and Afghans run delis now.
>>
>>1190080
Holiday train show is in the Bronx Garden.
>>
>>1190157
A lot of Dominicans, Puerto Ricans, and Mexicans too depending on the neighborhood
>>
>>1190083
>What's wrong with a deli run by a "Paki"
is this a serious question?

i hate to break it to you, but there are plenty of non-pakis around

>>1190157
wrong
i'll concede on the mexicans et al
>>
>>1190158
>>1190080
Are the botanical gardens open during winter? Would I be missing out on anything?
>>
>>1189424
The MET is pay what you want anyway you can just wait on line and give them a dollar and they will let you in
>>
>>1190558
I think so. If that train show is running,they are open. Google them.
>>
>>1188776
that is not possible for two weeks

a hotel is 300 + dollars a night, you will blow your whole budget on the room while the concierge laughs
>>
>>1191242
you can get hotels for cheaper than that. I stayed in a place in Brooklyn that was 94 a night.
>>
>>1191242
Hey there,

We got a room at the Holiday Inn Hotel (FIDI - downtown) for about 120$ a night for the 4 of us, which turns out to be around 30$ per night per person.

I also got the total financed for 18 months, so it's about 26 dollars per month per person for the next 18 months. Just to be clear: the total was financed in 18 months because it was exactly the same price without any financing, no idea why.
This was during the black friday deals.

>>1191229
>>1190640
Awesome - thanks guys!

How about ice-skating? Are there a lot of people in Central Park during winter?
>>
>>1191823

you financed a hotel stay? how poor are you kek
>>
>>1189668
when they threaten you
>>
>>1191845
>how poor are you

Please tell me now- is this that kind of board?

Idw start lurking a board that simultaneously cheers vagabonding while other people are comparing per diems on the internet.
>>
>>1191823
Lots of people in Central Park anytime. There is a rink in Bryant Park and Rock Center.
>>
>>1191845
I didn't finance it because I'm poor, I financed the whole thing because the yearly inflation is nearly 40% here, so it's a nobrainer
>>
Baseball is boring as shit.
Literally watch any other major sport.
>>
Relevant to my interests!
Bump!
Me, my family, and gf are visiting NYC for a week! Any fellow Asians know of a good asian place to get hair cut at?
I'm tryna get a slight perm.
>>
>>1194387
Koreatown on 32 Street between Fifth and Sixth Avenues has small barber shops. One down the stairs of the subway entrance on 32 and Sixth.
>>
>>1192671

Watching baseball is like having tea or fishing, activities that have little to do with what it appears you are doing. Its more a ritual for the accompanying activities, not the apparent activity itself. A lot of spectator stuff is like that; races, for example. "Shopping" tends to be a common one.
>>
>>1194682
Baseball is plenty exciting if you actually know the rules and the team doesn't suck.
>>
>>1190072
>>1189529
Take the subway you flyover fuck
>>
>>1195183
He's going to Long Island and Jersey. NJ Transit will take him to Elizabeth but Woodbury is a bitch with no car.
>>
>>1195484
Any money he saves by going to those outlets will be wasted on the rental car. Kind of silly if you ask me.
>>
File: 1479747822293.jpg (87KB, 960x912px) Image search: [Google]
1479747822293.jpg
87KB, 960x912px
>>1195486
It's 4 of us for the first visit and 6 of us for the second visit. Car rental is about 100$ a day, which ends up being about 15$ to 25$ per person per day.

We're planning on spending between 1000 and 2000$ in clothes each, which is why I believe it's definitely worth it. I'd certainly agree with your comment if it were only me going to Woodbury/NJ, that 100$ price tag would definitely screw with my budget.

Any tips for driving in snow? I have some experience, but any tips are always welcome.

Also, how would it look like if I were to stop the car right in front of the hotel and unload all of our luggage? Would that be okay? Do you guys use hazard lights for that?
>>
>syrian bull
>bull prepper
are you going to the state fair or is that cuckolding terminoligy?

>>1189423
>with dogs
baka
>>
>>1196053
It's just a meme senpai

But, lfor real, it's going to be 4 of us for the first week, then 6 of us for the second week
>>
>>1196050
Take your time driving in snow. Hope your rental has all weather tires. Check out weather report in case of storms. The news radio stations WCBS 880 AM and WINS 1010AM have weather and traffic every 10 minutes.
>>
>>1188776
>Spending that long in New York
I went for 4 nights and I was already sick of it
>>
>>1198764
you're either a sperglord or were doing it wrong
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.