[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

First backpacker trip

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: Peru.png (73KB, 405x443px) Image search: [Google]
Peru.png
73KB, 405x443px
Hey /trv/, in a few weeks I'm going with a couple of friends to pic related, it's also my first time backpacking. Any sugestions? Did anyone do a similar trip to South America?
>>
>>1187786
Looks good. I wouldn't miss Potosí, though.
If you have time to go to Ayacucho, I would suggest you go. However, it's quite out of the way. I hope you plan on leaving Cusco by airplane, yes?
Consider the north of Peru as well, most notably Chachapoyas and Trujillo.
Be careful of altitude sickness, it's no joke.
>>
>>1187786
My gf and I had a similar itinerary earlier this year. We are from Argentina, so we took a plane to Ecuador, and returned by land.

I recommend you check out the Uyuni salt flats while you are in Bolivia.

As the other anon said, altitude sickness can mess you up, I had no problems with it but my gf was in really bad shape for several hours in Cusco. Drink Mate de Coca at every oportunity and carry Coca candies with you at all times, you can also chew coca if you prefer.

Fixed prices don't exist in Peru, you can haggle the price of pretty much everything.

Bolivia can be a little gross, we too are from South America and it was a real cultural shock for us. Other than that have fun, all the countries you plan on visiting are used to receiving tourists and people is super nice in general. Also there are lots and lots of tourists, mostly from Europe, but also lots of Asians and Israelis.

It's relatively safe if you behave like a sane person as you would in your own country.

One last thing, if you have to buy tickets to go somewhere buy them yourself if you can, travel agencies overcharge a lot for that service. Just take a taxi to the bus station, it will still be cheaper.

Have a nice trip.
>>
I personally really liked Sajama national park in Bolivia. Not really much to do there but the scenery is breathtaking.
>>
>>1187786
Just consider logistics at Bolivia, anon, as road blockades are a very common thing there.
>>
As a fellow traveler heading to these countries next year, how can one avoid altitude sickness? Travel by land when there is great differences in altitude?
>>
>>1188761
Coke tea. It will not makeyou high, but pay attantion if you have to take drug test.
>>
>>1188761
Just travel slowly. I made my way from Santa Cruz (~400m) to Copacabana (~3800m) in about a week and I was fine.
When you fly there and land in La Paz or Lima, just don't move much the first day.
>>
I am also starting my South America Trip in May in Buenos Aires. I am planning on going to Salta and from there to San Pedro de Atacama in Chile.
Ca you recommend any stops im between? I am not a big fan of excessive Bus Trips but i know I will have to do some Long Trips
>>
How long are you planning on travellin OP ?
>>
>>1188030
I'll be doing the distance from Cuzco to Puno by bus. I hear the roads suck but it's cheaper and I get to see the landscape
>>
>>1188050
Hey! I'm argentinian too, thanks for the advice. I replaced Uyuni with the Salinas Grandes de Salta. I expected the bolivian or peruvian culture to be similar to that of Argentina but I guess it's not quite the same.
>>
>>1189630
It's almost up to a month. I know it's a trip that well done could take up to two months or so but I've got to come back for work
>>
>>1190377
Cusco to Puno isn't that bad. Cusco to Lima is an absolute nightmare.
>>
>>1190487
I assume Ica to Cusco isn't that great either
>>
>>1190536
Well, I just mean going from Cusco to the coast.
>>
>>1187786
OP, according with Spanish BBC La Paz is suffering a water shortage for one month
http://www.bbc.com/mundo/noticias-america-latina-38296269
>>
>>1190536
Lima- Ica is quite comfy. Ica-Cusco is the nightmare
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.