[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

LA for one day - worth it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

I have the option of doing a stopover in Los Angeles next week (land on Thursday afternoon, leave on Saturday afternoon), but I am not sure if so little time is actually worth it. But then on the other hand, I'd like to complete San Andreas, and Los Santos is the only city I'm still missing.
What I am especially worried, is getting around, since that city is fuckin huge, but seemingly has the public transport infrastructure of a small european village.
also, I am not too sure about what I'd even do there, apart from wandering around to see a bit of hollywood and downtown.
From what I have seen on wikivoyage, I'm interested in The walk of fame and rodeo drive (because, why not?), Getty Center, MOCA, California Science Center and Venice beach. How much of that would be possible in a day?
>>
>>1187461
I'd personally save my money. Not much to do think time of year. Save money for wherever you are headed to.
>>
>>1187467
Money isnt really an issue (as long as we are talking about reasonable amounts), but $500 totally wasted for nothing, I must not do, but spending the amount for something >meh tier would be OK for me.
>>
People say LA doesn't have a public transportation infrastructure because it's more bus-based than subway based and New Yorkers hate taking the bus. Don't fall for the meme.

It would be pretty difficult to do all of what you mentioned in a day, at least because of the sheer transportation times. I would limit it to the west side - maybe start at Walk of Fame and move to Rodeo Drive. Knock out MOCA and CSS, you can do Getty Center and Venice beach or instead just Getty Villa (my personal favorite LA museum). and a Malibu beach, which I won't help you with because it's in my best interest to keep my favorites to myself.
>>
>>1187478
You could do a few things like go to Santa monica and hit downtown during the night, during the day you could shoot around on the metro to little tokyo/chinatown (DO NOT GO AFTER DARK), maybe do a stop-n-go to hollywood, and stay around Downtown on friday night. Out side of that really not much to do this far into winter.

That would fall around 400 if you get a hotel downtown or in a safe area
>>
>>1187479
>which I won't help you with because it's in my best interest to keep my favorites to myself.
but come on, we are all anonymous on a singaporean sockpuppet spectators site, nothing bad has ever happened when someone posted something here they shouldn't haveā€¦
all joking aside, I can see where you are coming from. But I guess visiting a beach for beach stuff is probably not exactly a good December activity aniways.

>It would be pretty difficult to do all of what you mentioned in a day, at least because of the sheer transportation times.
That's what I thought too. Just not yet sure what/if would be worth it.
>>
>>1187461
Thats the ONLY way its worth it IMO. LA is a dump. It really only warrants a side stop on a larger trip.
>>
>>1187506
>LA is a dump.
How so?
I admit I'm, among other things, interested in it for the "shock potential" (I'm europoor, if you already haven't guessed), but to call the whole place a dump warrants further explanation.
>>
>>1187541
Not the other anon, but as a Socal resident I too can confirm the shittiness of LA.
It's dirty, congested, and loud. 95-97% of it is a sea of suburbs. It's like someone copy pasted block after block of unoriginal and uninspired buildings and then forgot to build adequate parking lots/structures so no it's all curb side parking and that's a fuckn issue during rush hour, which by the way is 12 hours of the day, with only 2-4 hours being slightly congested, and only really stops for about 10-8 hours in the middle of the night.
Everyone is an asshole and thinks they're hot shit and act like their big break is only moments away. The city traditionally has brought hope to those looking for a new start or trying to make it big, but when a good portion of those people fail, you're left with a city of broken, narcissistic, self centered, vain people.
Hollywood and Santa Monica might be the only "nice" thing about LA, but good luck sludging your way through the waves of other European or Asian tourists to get any kind of quality photos. (holy shit gooks are annoying).
The only redeeming parts of LA are the Getty, UCLA, the observatory telescope thing on top of the hill, and maybe the school of design in Pasadena.
TLDR; LA is cancer. But so is Orange County. Irvine is so bland I want to die just thinking about it. San Clemente and Laguna Niguel are quite nice. The drive down from Camp Pendleton to La Jolla is my second favorite drive. (my first is along high way one through Big Sur)
And San Diego (where I am @) is pretty comfy and nice. Truly, "America's finest city".
>>
>>1187461
LA without a car is a drag. The only LA hang I could recommend without a car would be hanging in Silver Lake, Los Feliz and seeing Griffith Park. And that's not worth a trip just to do that. What you really need there is a friend there with a car and a day off. Otherwise I'd pass. It's just not a satisfying pedestrian city.
>>
Thanks for all the help.
Seems like it would be a lot of stress for probably little gain, so I cancelled that idea of mine and rather spend some more time in San Francisco and just spend some time going trough LAX to change planes.
>>
>>1187758
OP, you're probably making the right choice here. LA doesn't have much to offer if you're only able to spend a day there. Whether you had a car or a taxi, you'd still be in traffic for 80+% of your visit. Wouldn't recommend public transportation either as there are crazies and thugs who ride the bus in most of the areas worth seeing (Hollywood etc). Spend more time in San Francisco or, if you have the option, San Diego. San Diego has a much nicer and more cohesive downtown area that actually caters to visitors.
>>
>>1187672
Tell me more about San diego. East coast Anon here. How are the women?
>>
Everyone here is stupid and I guarantee you live 40 minutes from actual downtown. Santa Monica and Hollywood fucking suck. Take a uber to Grand Central Market for lunch, from there walk down the street to ill cafe next to acne studios and walk to Santee alley for a shitload of interesting little Mexico type stuff and fashion district commotion. Then take a uber to little Tokyo and walk around, they have free kareoke that's interesting. Then have fun drinking in arts district or little Tokyo. Dinner at Kazu Nori or any place on that street. Try to reserve tickets to the Broad and start your day off with that . Easy cheap day, you can even have semi bought food at bottega Louie, go next doory to whole foods , buy a loaf of rustic French bread and some big cheap tasty craft beers and walk to grand park and hang out. Your walk will take you past Pershing Square, the Walt Disney concert hall, opera house , DWP. Building. So much to see. Everything is 1.97 uber
>>
not op but question related to cali

I wanna go to Tijuana, southern cali, phoenix, grand canyon and vegas

how should I go about this? I'm thinking to fly from NYC to vegas, rent a car and road trip to 1) grand canyon 2) phoenix 3) san diego and this is as far as I have it figured out

how do I get to and from Tijuana? I cant bring my rental car to mexico, so I would have to park it in cali for a 2 day trip to tijuana
>>
Do you fuckers even live in LA?
bet most of you bitching in here about live in one of the valleys

If you live in LA proper then its the shit. Tons to do and see.
>>
>>1187985
San Diego is "America's finest city" mostly because of how relaxed it is. It's a very safe city, which is no surprise when u got just about every alphabet soup agency (FBI, ICE, DoD, etc) in the county, and across the Bay you also have naval intel and SOCOM (muh navy seals)
Pple come here wanting the cali life wthout the constant traffic and smog,and they can get it but only at a hefty price. The cost of living here can be pretty bad, especially if you want to be anywhere near the fun night life. But if u have the fund$, then 3 different types of night life await.
1) you like to drink, A lot: well good news, SD is beer heaven and bar crawls featuring actual quality beer and not the piss that is bud light, are real and pretty common in PB (Pacific beach) and the gas lamp quarter in downtown. There are others in North Park and Hillcrest if you are feeling.... Adventurous?
2) you like to party. Hard. "Like wake up on someone's lawn 5 miles from the original party location, or in a car parked in an empty parking lot in downtown" type of hard: SDSU still holds the record for the biggest party school in socal. And if you don't trust yourself around 18 year old girls, there are several night clubs around town. (you will have to dress up for those and expect to bleed financially on drinks, parking, drugs, etc). Drugs aren't a huge issue here like they might be in LA, but you can still find quality stuff I f u party with the right people.
3) you are a fuckn hipster: wew lad Welcome the hipster heaven. North Park, University Heights, and Hillcrest have all been gentrified by snobby hipster trust fund babies. There is plenty of obscure beers, coffee shops, art galleries, thrift stores, record stores, and restaurants. The indie rock and punk scenes are shit now, but if ur into left wing garbage there are plenty of "original diy" bands.

Oh and the women are real nice, but I'm gonna need to know your type to actually give you some solid info.
>>
>>1188215
>Grand Central Market
The exposed brick food hall meme needs to die.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.