[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who /uninhabitedislands/ here?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 7

File: Antipodes_Castaway_Hut.jpg (896KB, 3072x2304px) Image search: [Google]
Antipodes_Castaway_Hut.jpg
896KB, 3072x2304px
I have a fascination with secluded, uninhabited islands across the world. Many often have histories of becoming temporary homes to shipwrecked castaways or monasteries for medieval monks. In the second half of the 19th century, the New Zealand government deliberately introduced rabbits and sheep to the isolated Auckland islands as a food source for any shipwrecked sailors, of which there were many.

I'm lucky to be in a position where I can pursue my interests without the financial worries. In February I set sail for Disappointment island in my yacht to explore any evidence left behind by the survivors of the Dundonald shipwreck of 1907. The men survived off seal meat and built sand dunes for shelter. They had one match between them which they used to light a fire that was never allowed to go out. Sorry lads, taking selfies with the Eiffel tower doesn't satisfy my travelling urge. I want to explore.
>>
File: cape romano marco island.jpg (139KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
cape romano marco island.jpg
139KB, 1280x720px
>>1185803
Living in Miami, there are several choices of 1 hour little bay trips to out islands that are kind of fun, especially all up and down the Keys. The Bahamas have many that simply don't have fresh water sources, which is why they never really took off for civilization but are gorgeous paradises with crystal clear waters and white sand, even for 1 solitary millionaire, it just isn't enough to to inhabit for very long.

There's one cool site I've read about and then got to see later by boat. The Cape Romano house used to be on a private island, but well, the ocean intervened to take over the shoreline and made them uninhabitable. At the time they wanted to build a seawall to protect the houses, the environmental laws about seawalls took effect and it was denied. Buh bye family home. It was an odd architectural thing during the "dome house" phase. Here's someone collection of found photos...
https://youtu.be/XxEP3jgOEmM

Marco Is and the surrounds are called the 10,000 islands, so there's quite a few places to tie up for a fun day's of uninhabited island living.
>>
>>1185803
i have that same isolated island fetish.. but it looks like your on a higher level. i am fascinated by islands like azores, st helena, tristan de cunha, pitcairn.. even though i would also prefer them uninhabited. whats you favourites and can you name some more, uninhabited islands with fresh water sources?
>>
Going on my honeymoon to Indonesia in January; we've been tossing around the idea of paying someone to take us to an uninhabited island and pick us up a week later. We'd bring enough water, plus fishing equipment.
Any ideas where exactly we could do this? I know there are paid services for this exact thing, but I feel like we could save a bundle and support some local fisherman at the same time.
>>
>>1185813
>google searches Marco Island
Goddamn it, seeing a fragile, once-pristine island ecosystem literally paved over and covered with condos makes me want to tear my hair out. Those manatees must be swimming in engine oil and human shit.
>>
>>1185813
>>1186076
it's pretty clean there I believe. the big problem with many florida coastal areas is the corp of engineers releasing fresh water from the Okeechobee which flows out to the coast and mixes with the salt water plus creates algae blooms. pesticides and shit fuck with the marine life.
>>
Visit Mingulay off west of Scotland. Spooky history and good wildlife. Deffo recommend.
>>
File: Socotra.jpg (47KB, 634x398px) Image search: [Google]
Socotra.jpg
47KB, 634x398px
1.) Socotra Island (pictured.) Considered “the most alien looking place on Earth.” The hiking must be amazing there, with warm beaches and strange plants and terrain. It also has a city with a small population. The only drawback is that it’s Yemen territory so it’s Muslim.

2.) Chagos Island. This place looks incredible because its ecosystem is protected by law. Beautiful coral reefs, amazing water, etc…

But if remote is what you’re looking for, Tristan Da Cunha is your answer like someone else mentioned. It’s the most remote island in the world.
>>
>>1185803
Check out north sentinel island bro
>>
>>1186159
This. Despite not being as far away as the more famous St Kilda, it's arguably harder to get to because of the cliffs.
>>
>>1187022
It's pretty different from mainland Yemen, though. It was/is also barely affected by their civil war and there were regular flights from the UAE, but the Saudis were dicks so the airport is closed off. All of which means: no safe/half-safe transport there. And to think I was in Dubai in 2009, saw that there was a flight there, and said 'Nah, let's go diving'. Fucking idiot.
>>
>>1187022
>Chagos Island

Just watched a few Youtube clips about this archipelago and it looks stunning. Reminds you of what a beautiful planet we live on senpai.
>>
>>1185803
>not realizing that once you stay there it's no longer uninhabited
>>
I work on boats that travel the intracoastal waterway on the eastern seaboard. Much of the GA, SC, and NC (not the outer banks) coasts are uninhabited islands.

Daufuskie island in SC is supposedly the site of some blackbeard treasure.
>>
>>1187644
this, get fucked OP
>>
>>1187660
This. There's an island near Edisto in lower SC that has a hoard of monkeys descended from an abandoned lab.
>>
>>1185803
there's a town in Newfoundland & Labrador called Battle Harbour, on Caribou Island that's nearly entirely deserted aside from some touristy stuff

you may find it neat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDKf-uX7_qc
>>
>>1187693
>>1185803
by the way there's shit tons of towns like that all over newfoundland & labrador due to the provincial government resettling the inhabitants, after the fishing economy collapsed

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resettlement_(Newfoundland)
>>
>>1185803
Real Traveler™
>>
File: france-muslims.jpg (70KB, 650x365px) Image search: [Google]
france-muslims.jpg
70KB, 650x365px
>>1188006
If you want to spend your 4 vacation days a year taking selfies in front of the most photographed monument on the planet while being surrounded by monkeys, be my guest. I prefer to travel differently.
>>
>>1188115
>[Real Traveler™ intensifies]
>>
File: Juan_Fernandez_Chile.jpg (1015KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Juan_Fernandez_Chile.jpg
1015KB, 1600x1200px
>>1185803
I also have this fascination.
Here in Chile we have some isolated islands, like Robinson Crusoe from the Juan Fernandez Archipelago (pic related). Only 500 inhabitants. Pretty much in the middle of nowhere.
>>
>>1186074
Hey, I'll be in Indonesia in January as well! Bali though. I don't think I'd trust an Indonesian to rescue me and my bride from a deserted Island. I'd definitely go with the company on that one
>>
>>1185803
I visited the island of Wyre while in the Orkeys, specifically to look at the ruined castle and church. The island only has 29 inhabitants, and I didn't see a single one of them while I was there. I also experienced the heaviest rain I've ever seen

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wyre,_Orkney
>>
>>1188191
I lived in southernmost Chile, there're lots of unhabited islands where go
>>
File: 12region.gif (64KB, 606x943px) Image search: [Google]
12region.gif
64KB, 606x943px
I lived in Puerto Williams, you'll love it
>>
Anyone know anywhere around SE Queensland? I'm keen to rent a tinnie and check out somewhere with no one at all.
>>
I'm currently in the very preliminary planning stages of two trips, one of the Aleutian Islands and another of islands primarily near Antarctica, places like Campbell Island or Coronation Island. I'm fascinated by the histories of people shipwrecked there or their previous (often military) uses. And the solitude is crazy.
>>
>>1185803

Northern BC Canada is great for finding uninhabited islands

you just need a coat and a boat

also many of them have small decommisioned military installations on them that you can explore, because they're all from ww2 and they're so exposed that the welded shut doors have fallen off due to high rust and humidity.
>>
>>1188622
Funny, I was actually just thinking of going to Puerto Williams or somewhere down there for my winter (their summer). How do you get to the outlying islands?
>>
>>1185803
>tfw you'll never live on one of these because you're dirt poor
>>
I'm also interested in remote islands, just watching this video tour of Wake Island gives me goosebumps and makes me want to go so bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KViwmDDQdxw

It may be inhabited, but there isn't a history of people on it, just some americans taking care of the airfeld.
>>
>>1189700
Entry into Wake Island is heavily restricted, and requires a special-use permit to visit, often from the U.S. Military or the US Fish and Wildlife Services. And they both generally only give permits to Military personel and civillian contractors. This even applies to U.S. and American Samoan citizens.

Commercial air service to Wake has been discontinued, and the atoll is no longer generally open to visitors.
>>
>>1185803
You must have a very interesting / fulfilling life. Do you have a blog maybe about your travels?
>>
>>1189950
I don't have a blog as I find them sickeningly self-indulgent. I tried posting photos from my travels on /trv/ before to ignite a discussion but there is far too much shitposting here.
>>
bump for interest
>>
interesting as fuck desu.
>>
>>1185803
I share this Fascination one day I hope to own my own boat so I can go to some of them myself
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.