[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The dumb-ness of the average 'traveler'?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

I'm in Australia now doing the typical work-holiday thing. I signed up for a bunch of facebook groups for backpackers here, you know, to meet like-minded people to maybe do something after work and on weekends. I just can't believe how stupid the average person in those groups is. I understand that many of them are still kids, first time away from home, but while funny at first I now realize most of these people are just morons, I never acted like that at their age, I can't believe some of what they write.

One girl for example wrote a post about meeting people and I added myself to this chat group she created. A few hours later she posted on facebook that she's so poor she can't afford food and is asking for places to eat for free, oh and she's vegan so yeah!! Then a few hours after that she posted in the chat group that she's going to a club that has a $20 entry fee and $12 drinks. Another girl complained that after working for 8 months on some farm it only took her 3 weeks to spend all her money down to her last $1000. Yet another wrote that after landing here she spent 1200 pounds in 8 days.

It's not any different in the hostels. Most of them are entitled little shits. They fucking start their skype chats in the middle of the night waking everyone up instead of leaving the dorm, and then complain about noise in the morning. A lot of them end up eating noodles and toast to save but spend $30+ a day on alcohol (and that's not even when going out, cause there they spend in the $100s). The French and Germans will always fucking talk in their languages even though it makes everyone else uncomfortable.

This is very unusual for me because I have traveled quite a lot in the last 6 years and haven't seen this yet. I assume it's the Australia factor, a safe English speaking place that attracts a lot of newbies. Makes me want to leave and I've only been here a couple of months.
>>
>>1185636
Actually the French have such poor grasp of English that many of them can't even put a sentence together but instead of taking this opportunity to improve it here in an English speaking country surrounded by English speaking travelers, they instead group together and don't even learn the basics. I wonder how my roommate got a job as a waiter because he doesn't know more than 20 words of English but he doesn't do anything other than hang out with other French people and skype with his friends back home in his spare time. I understand that grouping together is just easier, I do it too as I speak a second language that's somewhat obscure on the world travel stage. But if I'm in a hostel with people from all over I'll try to talk to everyone around even if talking with them is difficult due to language barriers. It's just rude as fuck to sit and exclude people if they're right next to you but it seems they don't feel that way...
>>
People are just dumb with money.

When I was a teenager I worked at Best Buy. Most people there making about 10 to 11 dollars an hour. Every fucking day after work they would walk across the street and get drinks at chilies. They would spend 50+ dollars a night on drinks. Come into work with a hangover and complain they have no money.
>>
>she's so poor she can't afford food and is asking for places to eat for free
>eat for free

LMAO.

>vegan
Double LMAO. Probably spent her last money on 250 gram $50 tofu 'meat'balls.

>$20 entry fee and $12 drinks
Not if you're an attractive woman.
They literally get in for free. Thirsty orbiters buy HER drinks.

>They fucking start their skype chats
Hostel in Tunis, this black African woman puts her phone on speaker and yells loudly at 22:00 and later, the rooms have amazing acoustic properties so it just amplifies everything, sounds like a bullhorn. So loud African woman in French, both receiving and yelling at phone. Fun stuff.

>Same hostel, a year later

Some Arab pulls out his laptop and starts listening to the same Islamic song 10 times. He had headphones on though. Either they weren't plugged in properly or the audio device was not changed, but w/e the main point was that the sound was coming off from the laptop's speakers.
>>
>>1185636
Most of that goes for average people in general, not just travelers.
People are dumb
>>
>>1185636
OP, I've noted pretty much exactly the same thing as you, I'm not in Australia yet but I've added myself to various groups and how big of a moron the average traveler is astounds me.
Every single day they ask the same handful of questions about shit you can Google in 3 seconds.
They book expensive agencies to take care of stuff like visas which are designed to be simple enough for a child to handle.
They drop 5000 koaladollars on a car without inspecting it only for it to die 2 days into the road trip, then they have the nerve to ask people for a lift and a place to sleep.
They spend their fucking money the moment they get it, just to ''live every day like it's your last don't even worry about tomorrow my man :))''.
Pretty much half of the group's population makes posts in their own language without a second thought and gang up to take a shit on anyone who nicely objects it in the comments.

Like a bunch of children, really. And you can't be realistic about things because you'll be, like, totally harshing the mellow, dude.
It's pretty damn horrible and when I can finally get going I hope to avoid these people like the plague.
>>
>>1185660
>They drop 5000 koaladollars on a car without inspecting it only for it to die 2 days into the road trip

Aussie here trying to sell my car for, coincidentally, $5000. Thanks for the tip lad. Gonna put up flyers in hostels.

Would also be satisfying to rip off a privileged little french cunt. Fuck, I hate french people.
>>
>>1185684
Throw in a dirty blanket, a couple pots and pans, advertise it as a ''backpacker friendly car :)'' and it'll go faster than you can staple the flyer.
>>
File: 1478378583045.jpg (31KB, 314x393px) Image search: [Google]
1478378583045.jpg
31KB, 314x393px
>>1185636
>Spending £1200 in 8 days

I dont know how I would restrain myself from hitting them. That should last a month at least.
>>
>>1185636
OP, have you ever seen a bell curve on IQ? You need to get used to the fact that if you are above average or greater? You're in a small minority of the population. Think hard about that when you encounter the masses who seem to lack some kind of sense of logical decisions. Normal decent people tend to value their time and money more than hosteling, past a certain age. If it messes up your day not to get sleep one night, then you'd be willing to pay for an upgrade not to deal with that. If you are just escaping your family, you only care about having some kind of fun away from their watchful eye, nutrition be damned, alcohol is always going to take a precedent over a normal meal. Veganism is notoriously difficult for a traveler who isn't cooking their own meals or who has a pantry of exotic condiments and spices, and grains, to make it palatable. They're already dumb for being vegan.
As far as etiquette or politeness over behaviors considered rude, I doubt they want you to overhear what they are saying, and using their native language on purpose. I think it would be human nature to include you if they wanted to do that. Anyone that isn't a first generation immigrant is bound to be stupid with money, especially if they never supported themselves, and it's all mad money.
>>
>>1185636

I recall being in a beer bar in pattaya a couple of euro guys walk in, small talk, prolly german as they spoke English fairly well. A French guy walks in parley vous? A wall of blank stares, we try to communicate, but every other word was something unintelligible. Nothing against that lamguage, but I worked in Taiwan for a while and stopped in a locals working man's pub, no one spoke english, basically it was drink your beer and leave time.

I felt bad for the French guy, it would be nice if someone made an app or guide for foreign languages, like that pub frequents german, french, etc, but all in all English is still the universal language of travel
>>
>>1185638
this is so accurate... fucking french fags i hate them so much

le baguette cheese fucks
>>
>>1185776
Don't hate us, our english classes are a fucking joke
>>
I agree, I honestly don't understand why there's such a hippie mindset surrounding travel. I hate entitled shits who essentially demand to sleep in other people's houses for the pleasure of being with them. A similar type of traveler is the type who thinks that a hostel is the equivalent of a luxury resort and that it's not gonna be slumming it.
>>
Yeah, travel has been infiltrated by a lot of dumb asses looking to spice up their instagrams to look cool. Most just hang out with other westerners and get fucked up.
>>
contiki faggots are the worst

>hurr look how well travelled I am
>I visited all these countries, but still ate mcdonalds, and drank starbucks almost everyday, I only tried the local food I can get back home though.
>I didn't do my own thing, I just got driven around on a bus like a retard then dropped off at some shit bar where I blew all my money trying to win over one of the 3 girls in our group of 50.
scum of the earth really
>>
>>1185782

>Thisarooni

I get why the idea attracts hippies/hipsters, but traveling in practice is way more friendly to pragmatists. Don't spend thousands to travel to a new country so you can do the same shit you'd do at home.

Honestly it's probably that humans in general are scared of entirely new surroundings with nothing familiar to steady themselves, so in retaliation they act like cunts
>>
This thread is unironically real traveler as fuck

>he ate a mcdonald's? what a pleb, a real sojourner such as I would never do such a thing
>>
>>1185697
>You need to get used to the fact that if you are above average or greater?
I'm not though, I'm somewhere in the average range and I don't really consider myself to be intelligent. I don't know if IQ has a role in any of this, these people are just dumb even though some of them seem to be educated.
>Anyone that isn't a first generation immigrant is bound to be stupid with money, especially if they never supported themselves, and it's all mad money.
Wow, this is some insight here I didn't even think about. I'm a 1st generation immigrant, poor as fuck when I was a kid. Maybe I see the world differently because of this. I definitely don't enjoy spending money even though I have quite a bit of it in my savings.

>>1185872
I didn't intend it to be but it did turn a bit this way. I don't think it's realtravelertm to say someone is a moron when they really are. I personally don't give a shit about what people eat when they travel, my roommate eats fast food and chocolate every single fucking day, he's a pretty nice person otherwise.
>>
>>1185636

It's so much easier sleeping with chicks like though
>>
>>1185881
Not for me though. I look repulsive to everyone it seems. I don't have a problem making friends in hostels but I'm now content with being one of em forever alone types for the rest of my life.
>>
>>1185872
I'm against the Real Traveler meme, I think people should travel the way they want to. NEVERTHELESS, these hippies that are shitty with money are not only annoying but are constantly working against their proposed self interest. As such, not only are they ineffectual at achieving their proposed goals but they also LOUDLY say whatever they're doing/are gonna do. So at the end of the day, they're annoying - I'm of this opinion even if they aren't travelling.
>>
>>1185872
eating mcdonalds is fine, you know what youre gonna get. its a safe bet.
its the fags who brag about being cultured but only go to starbucks and mcdonalds and dont visit or do anything that involves the local culture.

PLEBS
L
E
B
S
>>
>>1185636
sort of felt the same... at the time i assumed it was because i went to australia after being in europe/sea for a total of about 6 months and was simply burnt the fuck out, maybe there was a bit more too it reading this.

don't get me wrong most people i met there were still nice. a problem is hostels get quite cliquey because people are a lot more likely to stay at the same place for a while in australia.
>>
>>1185636
German Fag here. Every fucking normie i know goes to Australia for their gap year. Every fucking one either goes to Autralia or New Zealand, because apparently they want to be able to feel they have gotten really far from home without experiencing anything drastically new.
>>
>>1186036

australia is a cultural shithole
>>
>This entire post

christ you're a wanker
>>
>>1185636
why are you paying attention to them instead of enjoying your time overseas? You're shit posting, you're complaining to us.
>>
>>1185847
>googled contiki
>website description has the hashtag: noregrets

lel
>>
>>1185880
might not apply to women, I know plenty of 1st gen immigrant women who spend what they have left in their paychecks in designer clothes and overpriced restaurants.
>>
>>1185777
Spaniards are even worse. I work at a university in Germany (I'm anglo) and have three Spanish girls in some of my classes. They don't know a word of German (which makes me wonder why they came), but even their English is terribad. I am used to speaking slow Tarzan English, and even that they can't understand. I have to repeat things three or four times, to the point I'm not even speaking in real sentences, and they still misunderstand.

Now they are begging me to give them extra credit for my classes (not really possible) because they study music teaching, and came to our university that doesn't have any music program or much else they can really 'use' for their home university. Thus they're all short on the number of credits they need. There's been a bunch of other minor headaches before this. Two of my classes are in German, one in English, so for the German ones they just spend 90 minutes flicking at their phones and staring like dead fish when you say something to them.

Why the fuck did they come here?? I'm even angrier at the Spanish (sorry, Catalan) cunts that sent them here unprepared in the first place.

This, despite the fact ALL Erasmus students are supposed to have language certificates proving they have at least CEFR B2 English. They're A2 at best.
>>
>>1185636
yea they exist

I first went overseas with a contiki tour *shudder*

you just leave them alone and get on with it
>>
>>1185636
Cool blog grandpa.

>Makes me want to leave
Please do
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.