[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Boston - Washington trip

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: Boswash.jpg (71KB, 305x819px) Image search: [Google]
Boswash.jpg
71KB, 305x819px
Hi /trv/,

I was thinking in doing a backpack in the region of pic related, doing this
Boston (+outskirts like Plymouth and Salem) - 5 days
New York - 10 days
Philladelphia - 5 days
Washington - 5 days

Do you think is it enough/too much for them?
Also, if you have +5 days, where would you go in this region?
>>
You are aware that you are going to be mugged multiple times if you that, right?

They really need to put this as a sticky on /trv/:

If you are traveling to the USA,
YOU
NEED
A
CAR

All of our infrastructure revolves around car travel, and it's going to be a pain-in-the-ass for you if you don't. Now, because you are going to be in the Northeast Corridor, they are one of the few places with acceptable intercity rail service, so that's a possible alternative, but you are still going to need some sort of auto transport to get from the station to your final destination.
>>
>>1186059
Not true in the Northeast. It's basically Europe light. There's a train that connects those cities. You don't want a car in new York anyway.

OP I would fly or train from NY to Philly and get a car there that you use to drive to Washington. It'll be handy in those two cities but Boston has a good transportation system and a train to NYC.
>>
>>1186147
yeah you could definitely do the Northeast without a car
>>
>>1186059
>If you are traveling to the USA,
>YOU
>NEED
>A
>CAR
Incorrect. Where OP is I'm inclined to agree but there's an abundance of backpacker safe country otherwise.
>>
>>1186059
bus or rail between those cities and then

https://soundcloud.com/madeintyo/uber-everywhere-prod-k-swisha

agreed w ur point senpai but come on senpai, its the eastern seaboard
>>
>>1185320
5 days in/around Boston seems good (I have lived here all my life), but you should realize there is not much to do in Salem and Plymouth. As long as you plan just a few hour in each place you'll be fine.

Try to take the train (commuter rail, purple line) to the outskirts.

As for Philadelphia, do you really want to spend 5 days there?
I think I could see everything interesting over there in 1 or 2 days. It's also fucking ghetto.
10 days for New York is a lot as well...I would take 3 days off both of them.

If I were you, I would pencil out a few days for Philadelphia/NYC and add a city or two. You should also really think about visiting Canada if you haven't visited Quebec.

Some suggestions:
>Portland, Maine (potential day trip from Boston -- much better day trip than Salem)
>Acadia National Park, Maine (Probably not good for backpackers, but worth mentioning)
>Montreal & Quebec City, Canada (Easily accessible via bus from Boston/Maine)
>Ottawa, Canada (Easily accessible...people seem to say this is really boring but I think it's great)
>Some random shit in Connecticut or Rhode Island for a day such as Newport or New Haven
>>1186059
As the others have said, a car is not at all required in New England/the Northeast and it's easy to rely on public transportation.
It's also very cheap because we have a lot of bus options around here, such as Megabus, Greyhound, Bolt, etc.
>>
>>1186161
Philly is awesome, I'm sure there's much more to do there than Portland, Maine
>>
>>1186162
There is certainly more to do -- which is why I said Portland is a day trip -- but not enough to justify five days.
>>
Hey OP. I live on the bordering town of plymouth. Honestly, you can probably get a half days worth in Plymouth. I'm saying this off of the idea you'll want to check out the main strip of plymouth, some historical sites and maybe the beaches around here.
>>
>>1186170
Phone is messing up for some reason, but you could also take a ferry to Provience Town if you have some extra money. Or go down to capecod. Take a five minuet tour of the capecod chip factory. If you have any questions about the area lemme know.
>>
in nyc add a few days and do day or overnight trips from there on the commuter rail. montauk, fire island, beacon, jersey shore, etc.
>>
>>1186188
I've only been to Montauk out of those, and in my opinion it's not Worth it for a tourist. The train hardly runs out there and it's like 3 hours away from Manhatttan. There's not even that much to see there, especially not during the Winter.
>>
>>1186059
>You are aware that you are going to be mugged multiple times if you that, right?
I'm a real noob in this, what do you mean? The cities themselves or the kind of people I'd find at hostels?
About that: I have a image in my mind that hostels and inns are full of drug addicters who, due to impossibility of denial of service, can stay there. How unrealistic am I?
>>
>>1186332
>The cities themselves or the kind of people I'd find at hostels?

I thought hostels were just a European thing. What I mean is, that out in the country, you will be fine walking around, but in certain parts of cities in their more..."colorful" neighborhoods, some foreign White guy walking around will be considered a prime target for thieves (we have this thing called crime here). Also, how exactly were you planning on walking in between cities? Just walking along the side of Interstate highways? That's a whole different type of danger, as people drive like maniacs.

Now, with a rented car, not only will you be a lot safer, but you will be able to see a lot more things in a much shorter amount of time.
>>
>>1186451
Also, if you really want to get your backpack on, just come to one of our gigantic national parks across the country. You rent a car to drive there, then hike along miles of nature trails.
>>
>>1186451
>some foreign White guy walking around will be considered a prime target for thieves
We still have white people in the USA so your fears are pretty overblown.

If you are ever in fear of being seen as a foreigner, simply act deaf so that you will have an excuse not to let them hear your accent.
>>
>>1186451
Only the absolute shittiest of city neighborhoods would be an issue...even then it's unlikely anythint would hallen
>>
>>1186453
Lol I know two European women who stayed in airbnbs in black neighborhoods in New York and had no issues
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.