[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

4 years in a new city

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 1480050247126.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1480050247126.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
Hey Travel I am going to be doing a doctorate soon and have my choice of some fine cities but I haven't spent much time in most of them so tell me what is there to do in the following cities? Which would you pick and why?

Uppsala
London
San Francisco
Tempe(Arizona)
Ithaca(New York)
Los Angeles
>>
What's it in and what are the specific institutions?
>>
>>1185184
Human Genetics
Uppsala Universitet
U. College London
Stanford
ASU
Cornell
UCLA
>>
>>1185183
To be honest, I'd pick the best institution.
>>
Stanford isn't san francisco. Its 45 mins away and has a completely different feeling. But if you are excepted, GO.
>>
Ithaca is more of a town than a city. Most things to do revolve around Cornell or Ithaca College. Or snow. Ithaca is a bit more snowy than Uppsala.
>>
>>1185193
He's right. I am in the same situation as you OP as well, and as you know we are to expect the decision about acceptance in January (for US universities). So don't get too crazy about any of these places, and start thinking about making the decision after getting the offers. That's one thing. The other is that as a graduate student you won't have that much life to enjoy anyway, so just pick the offer from the best university for your field. Remember that place where you did your PhD will be sticked to your name for rest of your life.
>>
>>1185193
Well duh, im asking about the cities so I can weight EVERYthing. Why would I come here to ask about the institutions?

>>1185201
Is Stanford fun? I was lookign at living in Oakland, becuz money
>>
>>1185396
Oaklander here. A lot has changed since the ghetto 90's days. Where would you be living?
>>
>>1185396
I mean Stanford is in a pretty residential part of the bay. Its closer to Palo Alto and where a lot of tech companies are based but is pretty much just a nice suburbia. That being said though, Stanford is arguably the best University in the country and it being that big of a school there's bound to be plenty of parties, but as far as the surrounding area goes its not all that unique. The nice thing is that you have San Francisco close by which is probably one of the most scenic cities in the country and has tons to do. Oakland is a very up and coming city and rent would definitely be cheeper on that side of the bay but you would probably still have a 45 min commute to Stanford.
>>
>>1185401
Idk... Oakland.... Whats a good part?

>>1185424
45 minutes aint nothing so Stanford sounds AWESOME! How weird are the people, like I wanna blow coke up assholes
>>
>>1185183
Uppsala is a town for students and looks pretty. Not much to do there and probably hard to find an apartment's if they don't offer you one. Close to Stockholm
>>
>>1185424
>a 45 min commute to Stanford.

From Oakland? Maybe by car, in the middle of the night. If you're coming over weekday mornings you're in rush hour and it will easily take double that. By train is even slower as you have to switch from BART to Caltrans. School in Stanford/living in Oakland is a pretty shitty arrangement. Better off trying to get on-campus housing.

>>1185429
>blow coke up assholes

It's the SF Bay Area -- don't worry, there's an almost infinite supply of assholes there.
>>
OP have you considered what area you want to live in when you are finished with your studies? Because that's probably relevant.
>>
>>1185454
Well ill have to do a Post-doc so wherever that takes me.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.