[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is life in Alaska like?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: fairbanks-aurora-alaska.jpg (48KB, 700x467px) Image search: [Google]
fairbanks-aurora-alaska.jpg
48KB, 700x467px
I am thinking of visiting Fairbanks area potentially to scout if its a good place to open a small business and live. Just wanted to here advice from residents on what they like and hate about it.

About me;
>Love winter
>think short days spent inside is cozy
>love nature
>love fresh meat and seafood
>somewhat reclusive
>like the simpler life and self-sustainability
>conservative
>like guns
>hate the Fed
>>
>>1184811
bumping for interest
gf wants to spend 6 months there and i dont know dick about alaska
>>
>>1184811
>>think short days spent inside is cozy

Then keep in mind that as much as the days are short in the winter, they are long in the summer.
>>
>>1184811
Born and raised in Anchorage. You need to love doing stuff outdoors. Skiing, Hiking, etc. needs to make you tick. If it doesn't, you're going to be miserable.
But if you like that sort of stuff, it's great. It's very small town, but you can't beat the outdoors and the solitude.

Plus, we just legalized weed, so that's chill.
>>
The Interior is huge, beautiful and kind of terrifying. There aren't very many cops, which is pretty cool most of the time but really shitty when you actually could use help. A lot of people in the Interior are fucking crazy, shit can get kinda Mad Max at times. Lots of people still live in dry cabins (some don't even have road access). Groceries are expensive and a lot of people just barely get by. You WILL have dangerous animal encounters.

But it's so beautiful, and you can really supplement your food with hunting, fishing or foraging. And it's a much more unplugged lifestyle. You don't sit at home watching TV, you go out to the roadhouse to watch a band and all your friends are there.
>>
I live in south central but I've got a brother up there. There used to be a fairly big university there but it's received major cuts, pulling in a lot less students. That matched with the low price of oil (lotsa money in the state come from oil fyi) has resulted in a bit of a recession here. Which in turn means a lot less money for people to throw around. The only way to scrape by on business is if you really focus on neccessaties (mechanic/grocer) or if you pander to the tourists (who only run a few months a year). Most of your in tress seem to align pretty well, but kiss fresh food goodbye. It's more moose/caribou/salmon that's been in the freezer a year. Little other seafood as well, it's totally interior. But cheers, if you do come don't be a cunt, and don't bother anybody else and you'll get along alright.
>>
They really need to open a Costco in Fairbanks. It would make so much money.
>>
>>1185838
Also born and raised in Anchorage! >>1184811
I would have to agree with this though. Alaska has a terrible male to female ratio, with most of the attractive women married. Also fairbanks sucks. Lots of drug abuse. You should check out kodiak, Juneau, and Homer. All beautiful places.
>>
Anything panhandle and prepare to love rain.
>>
File: pelo kidding.jpg (92KB, 300x395px) Image search: [Google]
pelo kidding.jpg
92KB, 300x395px
Fly up there and check it out for a few weeks. I did that, and realized that Alaska was not for me.

I don't want to sound pretentious, but almost everyone I met in Anchorage seemed incredibly uneducated--we're talking like 7th or 8th grade education. Cashiers had trouble counting change, hotel staff (maids and manager) were constantly drunk, and the restaurants we went to had poor service. It was an absolutely step-down in every possible way from California.

Also, a lot of the houses and living areas just seemed dilapidated and run-down, as if Anchorage's hey-day was in the 1980's and never recovered.

I flew to Juneau to meet some friends, and they literally said they were living in a freezing hell and moving to Alaska was the biggest mistake they ever made.

I mean, there are some cool housing opportunities. Like buying a giant mansion-like house just outside Anchorage for under 200k, but it's just not worth it to me.
>>
I've been thinking about taking a trip to the Aleutian Islands in the near future, if anyone (including Anchoragebros!) has any tips or suggestions
>>
>>1187497
If you like cities, don't go to Alaska because all the cities suck. Alaska is all about big nature and weird little small towns.
>>
Now's not a good time to come and start a business.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.