[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Travelling alone

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

I'm going to be travelling to Europe from Australia alone in a couple of months with a one way ticket and no solid plan. Not even sure if I'll come home cause there's no career prospects or anything for me here.
I've traveled once with a girlfriend, and once with a friend before, but never alone and it's kind of intimidating.

What can I do to avoid loneliness and get as much enjoyment out of it as I can?

I want to hear from people who have traveled alone before to tell me how it went and if my fears are irrational or not.
>>
Do WWOOF. It'll give you a chance to meet a lot of really cool people.
>>
Don't hold back. Feel free to talk to anyone you could possibly have a chat with. Don't give in too much too.
>>
>>1184672
I have never been lonely while traveling alone. To be honest it's actually very difficult to ever be alone while traveling, unless you head out into the wilderness like OP pic.

You'll be constantly surrounded by touts, locals, other travelers, and you'll drown in emails, texts, and phone calls from friends family etc. who are curious/worried about everything you do every minute of the day. Cuba was both the worst and best vacation for me because it was the only place I could go and just say "Nope! Sorry, communism, can't talk!" and that was the end of that. Also Spanish is my first language and sometimes I was even able to pass a local.

It's not intimidating OP, unless you're planning a solo trek into the Australian outback the only time you'll be alone is when taking a shit in the bathroom....Then room service will knock. You need more towels?
>>
>>1184673
>>1184674
>>1184679
Thanks guys.

I feel like it's one of those things you fear until you do it. Like skydiving or something, you just want to do it again afterwards.

I'll get a work visa in the UK and fund my European travels from there as it's cheap going from there. Anyone done this?
>>
>>1184683
>I'll get a work visa in the UK and fund my European travels from there as it's cheap going from there. Anyone done this?

No, I've never even considered it because every place I've been pays so much less than home it would be realistic. This sounds pretty intense, but I think it's doable in person. Were you thinking about visiting New Zealand or something?
>>
>>1184683
>I'll get a work visa in the UK and fund my European travels from there as it's cheap going from there. Anyone done this?
I've been earning money from home, but I'm still going out on a working holiday visa hoping to get a job abroad. Do you have any marketable skills you can apply in the UK?

Also, try to stay out of London.
>>
>>1184672
I've backpacked alone two times and had a good time
1) Stay at hostels rather than hotels
2) Try to talk with local people at Couchsurfing - even if you're not looking for a couch. There are cool people there
3) Try to make a plan (circle around some region, go to a city, buy a low-cost ticket for another city and go from A to B, etc.), but don't follow it so strictly. It helps you to save money.
>>
>>1184687
Not trying to scare you OP, if you can get something like what you described set up you definitely won't be lonely. The best way to meet new people is working with them. Get a job and you'll be set for both your issues. Is there an Aussie equivalent to Craigslist?
>>
>>1184687
>This sounds pretty intense

It's just like a working holiday visa, I'll probably try work in a bar or something like that, nothing crazy

>Were you thinking about visiting New Zealand or something?
It's somewhere I'd definitely like to go one day, but it's not urgent on my list. Want to get Europe out of the way and then I want to go around the states and stuff.
>>
>>1184690
>Is there an Aussie equivalent to Craigslist?

We have Craigslist but people only really use it for prostitutes and other perv shit. We have a site called Gumtree that everyone uses. What for?
>>
>>1184688
>Do you have any marketable skills you can apply in the UK?

Not really, I have experience in film but I'm happy to work minimum wage shit for the time being.

>Also, try to stay out of London.

Yeah, heard about that. Is there any city you'd recommend that's cheap and probably has a decent amount of job vacancies?
>>
>>1184696
I'd say Manchester-Liverpool. *Maybe* Sheffield/Leeds, depending on what exactly you want to do.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.