[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ROME

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 7

File: Colosseum_cs.jpg (2MB, 1500x961px) Image search: [Google]
Colosseum_cs.jpg
2MB, 1500x961px
Red pill me on Rome. Thinking about going there for a week.
Love me some antiquities and the architecture.

Tips and things to avoid? Best time of the year to go?
Suggestions off the beaten track?
Is an entire week excessive?
>>
Get a timed ticket to the Vatican in advance so you won't have to wait hours in line.
>>
As I posted in another thread, I came back from there a few days ago..
It's a big, beautiful, pedestrian-accessible city filled with tourists.

>Love me some antiquities and the architecture.
You're literally in the right place. It's concentrated there.

>Tips and things to avoid?
Usual scams. Africans that approach you (yeah, it happened to me).
Look up Roma pass, could be very useful to you. Food in the central region can be expensive. Better to cook at hostel if you're on a tight to medium budget.

>Is an entire week excessive?

7 days? Yeah. I think it can be excessive for any city unless you're there for a hobby like urban exploration, visiting extravagant galleries or something similar. There isn't a real limit of how long until you see "the true side of a city" or whatever you want from there, but you can do the meme sights and exploration with breaks and relaxed pace for 3 days.

>Best time of the year to go?
I think only now the weather is going to shit, it was fine last week. I'd recommend anything March through October.
>>
>>1183835
I always loved the ancient history, also the history of the roman empire.
When I went to Rome I couldn't even sleep.

Then it happened.

Honestly it wa a very big disappointment.

you won't find anything in Rome in a great shape which connects to the roman empire, only the pantheon.

There are nice churches, that is all. Everything else looks like rotten and they don't care. They don't care about their heritage.

Every single statue, every single old building is falling apart. The greek-roman section of the vatican city museum feels like a storage, things throwing around, lying there.

As >>1183913 said, watch out for the africans. you can't sit and enjoy your sandwich because they won't let you alone all the day.

Also the best comes for the last. We wanted to make a selfie in the subway station with my gf, police fined us for 100 euros because "it is forbidden to make pictures in the subway station"

well...
>>
>>1183933
as a local, I feel you. It's a pain. City is going down the Naples route.

Police scammed you. Yeah it's forbidden to make pictures, but they just ask to erase the pics from the offending device. They probably had dinner and drinks on you that very evening. Sorry mate.
>>
>>1184116
Not OP or the guy you replied to.
But I am a huge Roman history buff.
Rome gives me Paris syndrome.
It feels more run down than Mexico city.
Has a strong third world vibe to it.
2 hours north Florance is completely different.
Even the suburbs are way richer than Rome.

>City is going down the Naples route.
Curious what that means.

Hang in there RomulAnon
>>
>>1183933
It's your own fault if you went to modern day Rome expecting to see a great deal of well preserved ancient Roman buildings. Especially if you claim to know a lot about Roman history. You should know why not that much remains.

And the Vatican museum is not the best place for statues etc, again it's your fault for falling for the popular tourist traps and not going to other, better places. The gallery with 'the Dying Gaul' is much better for example and there aren't giant crowds of tourists. This is why people should do their own research first.
>>
Most tourist attractions are free if I recall
Get the Roma Pass so you won't stand in line for the colosseum and will get free public transportation
The food fucked me up because it was so delicious that everytime I eat Italian food, I can't help but to compare it Rome which is way better
I don't know if the place is still there but there's a small family owned restaurant that's great
The thing is I can vaugly tell you where it is because I've been there years ago
Next to the colloseum, there's a gay street (with flags and shit) and right at the end of it, at the corner, you can find it
It's a small place with a few very long tables and everyone is sitting together
Best food, cheap as fuck
>>
>>1183933
you are an ignorant moron and >>1184116 you are delusional and obviously not a local
>>
>>1183835
Idk what to tell you anon, it's one of my favorite cities. Just don't go in expecting shit to be pristine like >>1183933 this dude.
I could literally spend a year in Rome and not "finish" but really how much time you spend there is going to depend on how much total you have and how much of it you want to invest in Rome vs. say going to Florence. Doing only 1 city on an Italy trip is kind of silly considering how easy/cheap it is to get around.

-----

As I said above, I've already been to Rome but I'm going back again in April after about 6 years.
I already did all the typical stuff: Colosseum, Trevi fountain, Vatican, etc.
What is some non-typical stuff to do in Rome?
Where is the best place to meet locals? (preferably girls 18-30)
I've stayed in the Roma Termini area before since that's where all the hostels and rent-a-room-in-my-house "hotels" are and that worked well even though it's further away from most things thanks to the proximity of bus/metro/train routes from Termini. Should I just stick to this or are there better places? Last time I was with a gf so we stayed in a hotel, this time I'm solo so I'm leaning towards a hostel with a bar to meet people.
Trastevere used to be the place to go eat good food for not touristy prices aka where the locals go eat. Does that still stand?
Any specific bars, clubs, and/or restaurants to check out?
I think I should be in Rome (definitely Italy nonetheless) for Settimana Santa, anything special to do/see with that going on?
>>
>>1183933
Are you the same guy who makes up shit like this about lots of European countries all the time?
>>
everybody gets high sometime y'know?

Horrendously overrated. Your best day will be when you buy a return ticket to Naples and go chill in Pompeii (Can easily kill a day there - really cool place)

You're welcome.
>>
Going to Rome for the first time. Any museums or some interesting places would recommend?
Saw tours with guides for underground Rome, inquisition tour...

But don't really want to go in groups, I'd like to explore Rome on my own.
>>
>>1187933
Depends how long you're going to be there.
There's some things you should see in night and day, but your schedule might not allow.
e.g. Trevi fountain, Spanish steps, Piazza del Popolo (especially from the Pincian Hill where you can see the whole city), Piazza Navona, etc.
There's less to no crowds and it's a different atmosphere entirely. Even better if you're with a romantic partner.
>>
>>1188184
Going with my gf for a week.
Thanks, will do.
>>
I'd say enter a random small little street or church, you will come across some very nice places if you do that. For example on the Via del Corso or Via del Babuino which have the high end shops (avoid those) just enter some of the small churches there, they are very nice to visit. Avoid eating close to the big squares, prices are to hight and food is not as good as at the more local, small restaurants.
>>
>>1188271
Have any recommendations for food maybe?
Would mark restaurant on my map.
>>
>>1183835
kill it with fire territory. go to tuscany instead and enjoy the best region.

T. etrurian.
>>
Pickpockets aren't a meme

My girlfriend had her iPhone snatched on the Rome metro by a bunch of gypsy kids.

The train was totally packed and I didn't see it happen. I made a huge scene of it and eventually two Italian bros overheard what had just happened. There was then a bunch of shouting in Italian but somehow one of the dudes managed to get the phone back from the kids and returned it to us.

The entire carriage was aware of what happened and everyone shoved the kids out at the next stop and some of them tripped and fell flat on their faces.

Moral of the story: watch your possessions. Also, Italians = bro tier
>>
File: 5541016d85c759030ebfb5df.jpg (363KB, 1600x800px) Image search: [Google]
5541016d85c759030ebfb5df.jpg
363KB, 1600x800px
you should eat a panino con la porchetta and watch S.S. Lazio football match standing in the north stands
>>
>>1187933

la galleria nazionale d'arte moderna e contemporanea is pretty good
>>
No mentions of Ostia?

Isn't Ostia supposed to be GOAT for Roman history?
>>
>>1185369
>>1186569
Why can't you take fucking criticisms of the fucking city

all of you fags literally disregard the MOUNDS of trash just because of the city's historical relevance?

Rome is an overrated shithole, i was disgusted when I went

honestly with cities like Florence, Venice, Assisi, and Trento, i have no fucking clue why people go to Rome

Oh yeah when you go to the vatican be prepared for horrendously disabled people crying for money

I would have to be paid a good amount of money to ever step foot in that fucking city again

would recommend staying 1 day max to see the monuments then get the fuck out of that shithole
>>
>>1188517
>criticism

That would require things to be true. Yours are just made up.
>>
>>1188497
For interesting but pretty highly restored every-day architecture, Ostia is, indeed, the bomb.
>>
>>1188517
You seem upset.
>>
>>1188599
Seriously? Damn man, I was considering going to Rome after I graduate from grad school but this thread is killing that desire for me..

I was under the impression Ostia is incredible and there's a lot of actual Roman history in the city, but yall are making seem more Renaissance and later history. Which sucks
>>
>>1188610
There is a lot of history there, don't get me wrong -- but it is worth knowing that the insulae with upper stories and such are heavily and, I think, pretty accurately restored. It does allow you to get as good a feel for walking among Roman structures as it is possible to get. I loved Rome, Ostia, the sites around Vesuvius and the ancient pre-Roman stuff at Paestum. And Hadrian's digs, just outside Rome.
>>
>>1188589
How the fuck do you honestly believe there isn't trash or gypsies everywhere?

Have you even been to Rome? it's like Paris it is overrated and overrun by tourists

Compared to the smaller lesser known towns, Rome is a shitpile

I've been to every major city in Middle and Western Europe and Rome by far was the worst

you are in fucking denial
>>
>>1188600
yeah when you waste 3k on a shitty overrated city and say it's shit only for "Muh historical relevance" fags to tell me that their city is not a giant tourist trap filled with trash

I literally watch armed guards beat a gypsie in the streets because he wouldn't fuck off, i loled but that in itself is a fucking problem
>>
>>1188656
>waste 3k
You spent $3k to visit Rome... you deserve everything bad that happened to you.
>>
>>1188657
Is 3kUSD too much?

MY WIFE and I were looking at doing an airbnb house that's near the colosseum. Is that a bad location?
>>
>>1188672
I mean it really depends what you want out of the experience. Staying in fancy hotels and shit is going to rack up $3k pretty easily.
The point I was trying to make is that the above anon obviously thinks $3k is a lot of money and ended up spending that to visit Rome and is pissed over it. As a comparison, I could stay in Rome for a month for under $3k including the flight there staying in hostels.

Anyway, staying closer to attractions is going to increase the price because that's where all the tourists stay. I prefer to stay in the Termini area which is kind of away from everything (and therefore cheaper) but still well connected because the Termini station is the hub for the city and has access to the bus routes and subway, and iirc a week long pass to use city transportation costs like 7 Euro.
Last time I went with my gf and we stayed in a "hotel" which was really an older couple renting out an extra room and it cost us 35 Eur a night (large room, king bed, bathroom w/ shower) during the high season (July).
Granted this was 6 years ago. Anyway, the Termini area, specifically the area around Piazza della Independencia and bordered by Via Castro Pretorio is overflowing with little "hotels" like this. The only catch is that back then most of them you weren't able to book online because like I said, old couples renting out rooms/apartments. Not super tech savvy.

Anything else, ask away. May take me a bit to respond but I'll try to answer what I can. Rome is one of my all time favs and I'm heading back in April.
>>
>>1183933
Man this is by far the most retarded post I have read on this board. You claim you love ancient history, yet you were surprised there was not so much left? Rome has been sacked lots of times in the late ancient world and after this Rome was the capital of the catholic church. The church disregarded the heritage, Forum Romanum was a stable for cattle for hundreds of years in medieval times. If you're so interested in ancient history, you could have known this.

So yes. If you are a naive American who thinks everything looks like kewl gladiator world from far away times, you're gonna get heavily disappointed. If you're actually interested in history, Rome is the most amazing city in the world.
>>
>>1188517
>all of you fags literally disregard the MOUNDS of trash just because of the city's historical relevance?

Second poster here, I have been to places where there were mounds of trash literally all over the place, day and night. Rome is not one of those places.

>Rome is an overrated shithole, i was disgusted when I went
It's not though. Vatican is there. Even that thing alone grants Rome enough credibility to visit it.

>Oh yeah when you go to the vatican be prepared for horrendously disabled people crying for money
Like 2 or 3.

>>1188656
>$3K
How? Did you move in there for a month?

>>1188683
>Termini
Yup. Stay there.

>>1188654
>How the fuck do you honestly believe there isn't trash or gypsies everywhere?
Because there aren't.
>>
>>1188840
Bruh I honestly don't think you know how traveling works, so please stop acting like an autist.

why a trip to Rome costs 3k:
>Airfare from NOLA
>Hotel for 5 days
>Food for 5 days
>costs of tours and attractions
>transportation
>clubs and nightlife

And i'm convinced you have never been to Rome, because someone who has been to Rome would know that there are a lot of gypsies and a lot of trash

Bruh no fucking joke the coliseum had trashbins around it that were overfilling with trash, and trash was everywhere

>http://www.npr.org/2016/08/08/489138637/down-in-the-dumps-rome-deals-with-a-garbage-crisis

when did you visit? Becuase it was 100% not in the last 3 years, my most recent trip was June, and I was appalled by the amount of trash

as one of my buddies said to a group of friends
>If you have any trash, just throw it on the streets, When in Rome do as the Romans do
>>
File: chrome_2016-12-06_01-36-51.png (1MB, 1276x906px) Image search: [Google]
chrome_2016-12-06_01-36-51.png
1MB, 1276x906px
>>1188899
I have a fairly decent amount of understanding how travelling works, senpai.
Nice dubs. Flight prolly hit you big time.

>Hotel for 5 days

Probably stayed at some overpriced place, instead of booking to exterior hotels and using CHEAP CITY TRANSPORT.

>Food for 5 days
Eating out is expensive, yea. I stated this in the second post of the thread. It's not realistic to eat out every meal. Store-bought and prepared food on the other hand, is cheap. Ate amazing steak for 4EUR/KG.

I walked the entire day with a can of coke because I couldn't find a proper bin, when I found one it was almost empty (opened it by foot) and threw the can away.

>when did you visit?
20161117_173513.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I can blow $150K in a minute or two. Just buy myself 1 $150K car or 150K 1$ cars, point is you can't expect to do all of this shit and not expect to pay.
>>
>>1188899
You still spent about $1500 too much.
FCO is one of the cheapest airports in Europe to get to, but even assuming you spent $1k getting there, it means you spent $400 a day while you were there. If you were trying to go on a budget, you're a fucking idiot, plain and simple.

If I had to guess you did zero research, ended up staying in a shit hotel in a shit area and paid a fortune for the privilege of getting dicked, ate at subpar tourist infested restaurants that charge 3 times what a similar meal would cost in a good restaurant that doesn't make their money off visiting idiots, and took expensive taxis everywhere. By how many times you brought up gypsies, I'm going to have to assume you let one rob you too.

You fucked up or got unlucky and had a bad experience. Get over it, you petulant child. Most people experience nothing close to what you claim and enjoy the hell out of such an awesome city, don't shit on someone else's parade because you fucked up.
To use your own words:
>Bruh I honestly don't think you know how traveling works, so please stop acting like an autist.
>>
>>1188654
>I've been to every major city in Middle and Western Europe

No you haven't. You don't even have a passport. You made up some retarded shit and when you get rightfully called a retard, you double down on the stupid.

You could, say, post just one picture you took in Rome where you see those gypsies and trash everywhere in the Colosseum and Vatican like you claimed. Go ahead, we're waiting.
>>
>>1188977
I took lots of pictures. But I'm not going to post one because you're too stupid to use google to see that I'm right.
>>
File: firefox_2016-12-06_02-06-07.png (32KB, 1137x386px) Image search: [Google]
firefox_2016-12-06_02-06-07.png
32KB, 1137x386px
>>1188986
Hol up. You doubted that I've been, were a prick and I posted my picture, why don't you post too, senpai?

I saw darkies with their stupid friendship bracelets and selling selfie sticks, but were not a nuisance and from 30 just 2 actively approached me, waved no and they went on.

You're exaggerating GREATLY.

>>1188912
>>1188912

>2 people for $850 MSY - FCO.

He must've been ripped off 24/7 and now he's super salty lmao.
>>
>>1188989
So you've been there in the future? (Not the person you replied to)
>>
>>1188986
>I could prove my point but I'm not going to because I shouldn't have to back up my claims
Burden of proof lies with you.

>>1189041
wut.
>>
>>1189041
2016 year
11th month
17th day

Burger.
>>
File: IMG_1928.jpg (1MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1928.jpg
1MB, 4032x3024px
>>1188989
Thats not me, and I got to rome in mid June, i think the 15th

ok got a lot to address, yes i spent more money than i should have because i was going with my brother who planned the trip because he had been there numerous times before

Yes I have been to major city, London, Paris, Berlin, zurich, Prague, Vienna, Oslo, Stockholm, Amsterdam, and Rome, never fucked with Spain or Denmark because never had the opportunity

did it through EF college break, I went 3 or 4 times, also gonna post pics for proof, reverse image them if you want, idgaf

also i hate flying so i usually pay more to get there faster

pic from the vatican, kinda sucked cause they barely said any fucking english and i sat there for an hour listening to different languages
>>
File: IMG_1723.jpg (492KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1723.jpg
492KB, 1080x1920px
>>1188989
And no I'm salty because somehow people think it is a good city, I did not take any fucking pictures of gypsies, and I have one picture of trash

i don't like taking pictures of trash

anyway here is my shit in Prague
>>
File: trash.png (4MB, 1757x1901px) Image search: [Google]
trash.png
4MB, 1757x1901px
>>1188989
>>1188977
>>1188912
>>1188909
>"there's no trash in Rome"
>>
>>1188989
>>1188977
>>1188912
>>1188909

inb4 >it's only in that one spot

in hindsight I should have taken more pictures, but I honestly did not think there were people who tell themselves there is no trash there

Still don't understand defending Rome, I enjoyed the monuments and churches, but that took 1 day

all in all, i'm probably never going back, I saw the historical shit so the city is useless, nothing like Prague or Salzburg

hell even Verona has more shit to do than Rome

also love how none of you fucks even mentioned the article I posted where they admitted they had a trash problem
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.