[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Montreal/Canada

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

File: 75453246.png (18KB, 1280x640px) Image search: [Google]
75453246.png
18KB, 1280x640px
Will be going to Montreal this January. I've never once been to Canada

Is there actually anything to do in Montreal or what a different city be better?

Going with a group of about 5 friends. Why they chose Montreal of all places is beyond me.

Help me out /trv/
>>
>Is there actually anything to do in Montreal
tons Montreal is the only city in Canada that has a real fucking nightlife/culture only downfall is the hipster infestation and the Quebecois
>>
>>1183827
Hope you love tons of snow.
>>
>>1183827
don't pronounce Quebec wrong.
>>
>>1183827
>Montreal in the winter
Yeah you should just stay home.
We just got the first snowfall last night and I'm considering fucking off somewhere very far away for the next five months.

Seriously, fuck this place.
>>
>>1183827
It's an amazing town in the summer. The winter is tough. Montreal does have a decent nightlife scene and the food there is good. You can get around by Metro, and there are linked series of shopping malls to Metro stations making it possible to travel decent distances without having to venture that much outside. The strip clubs are legendary. Alcohol is on the expensive side, but that doesn't stop people from drinking there. The more upscale restaurants can be amazing, and there is a great variety of immigrant foods because lots of immigrants have settled there. Most people speak English, but prefer to speak French. If you don't speak French and someone gives you shit about speaking English make it clear you're not an English Canadian who just blew off learning French - they have a chip on their shoulders about the maudite anglais.

There are some uniquely Montreal foods you may want to try:

Smoked meat sandwich: Like a cross between pastrami and corned beef, this is the king of the Montreal Jewish deli meats.

Fairmount bagels: The bagels in Montreal, like the smoked meat are Roumanian Jewish style. They're boiled in honey water then baked in a wood fired oven. They're pretty fucking amazing.

Poutine: self explanatory, but worth trying especially in winter. Probably best had at the Montreal Pool Room with a steamé tout garni (all dressed hot dog). This would be one of the most cliche Montreal things you could possibly do.

Cretons: this is real French hillbilly shit. A breakfast spread made from pork and pork fat. You won't find this out - you'll have to buy it at a supermarket.

Shish taouk sandwich: Lots of Lebanese in Mtl, and their chicken gyro sandwiches are perfect drunk food.

Bring a scarf, hat, gloves and boots because it's gonna be really cold and windy, and there will be snow on the ground. The city is an island in the middle of a river.

Avoid eating pizza at all costs. Montreal has some of the worst pizza I've had ion my life.
>>
It's a pretty shitty place. All I know is the girls are filthy in Montreal. French girls will do the most nastiest things you tell them to do.
>>
>>1183827
There's hella to do downtown and old Montreal. In January you will experience some of the worst cold our planet has to offer. Pack a north face with gore tex
>>
File: tomlinumadbroface.gif (3MB, 407x225px) Image search: [Google]
tomlinumadbroface.gif
3MB, 407x225px
>>1183895
Montrealer here
>tfw spending 2 months in Mexico this coming winter =)

Fuck winter
>>
>>1183827
>Is there actually anything to do in Montreal or what a different city be better?
yeah we dont want you with that attitude, go elsewhere
>>
Resident Montrealer. Montreal has the second most restaurants per capita in north america after New York city. So there's a lots of restaurants to try with lots of different cuisines. Personal favourite is Chez Bong for Korean food. I'd also recommend hitting up poutineville for some poutine.

Take in a hockey game if you get a chance. You can get scalped tickets outside the arena after the first period if over for pretty cheap. Yeah you missed a third of the game but if you're looking for something to do it's worth the experience. You can also try getting tickets on Kijiji or something for slightly more and see the whole game.

Lastly I'd recommend hitting up the strip clubs. Depending on where you go you can get lap dances for as little as 10$ a song and they are full contact, which means the you can grab the girls anywhere but on the pussy, but depending on the place they'll let you do that too. My personal favourite place is Cleopatra's although I will admit you can get hotter girls elsewhere.

It's not so much that the weather is cold but the idiots who built the city didn't account for wind and literally whichever direction you walk in you get blasted in the face with freezing cold air.

All in all I hate living here and would leave if not for my job. But the strip clubs make it tolerable.
>>
>>1186230
>you can grab the girls anywhere but on the pussy
This triggers the Donald
>>
I don't know why your friends chose Montreal in the winter. People will be dead broke and the nightlife will be running on first gear. If anything tell your friends that it's nicer in the summer.

If you come anyway, hit the strip clubs, Saint-Laurent and St-Denis streets at night, restaurants, and pretty much everything that's been covered in this thread. Also know that the Museum of Fine Arts is free on sundays, and the Museum of Contemporary Arts is half price Wednesdays after 17h. I suggest you stay at M Montreal (Youth Hostel) during your trip, it's not so expensive and there are shows occasionally.
Also steer clear of the Old Montréal, it's a scam and there are only chinese people there.

Also, don't forget to take haters with a grain of salt. While you're there, try to branch off with frenchies and anglos. They both have their distinct cultural universes and they're both interesting.
Lastly, you WILL have to bring warm clothes. And I mean warm. Only badly equipped folks whine, so don't be one of them.
>>
>Tfw just booked bus tickets to Montreal in February because they were 75% off
How fucked am I?
>>
>>1186449
Montreal has a great winter culture. You'll have fun. If you like beer, the province of Quebec has a great beer culture - start with Dieu Du Ciel up on Laurier.
>>
I'm from Europe and I had a great time there last summer while visiting my language exchange partner but I don't know about winter.

My French is conversational but pretty much everyone who has a a bit of education or works with customers could speak English whenever there was a misunderstanding.

I used the OPUS card to get around but it's kinda strange how you need different tickets for the separate transport companies on the islands/the suburbs or how sometimes you can't buy single tickets for the card.

Also this>>1183974
>>
>>1183827
here's a list of canadian cities worth going to for tourists, from best tourist tier to worst (IMO)

>Quebec City (historical)
>Montreal (nightlife/historical)
>Ottawa (historical)
>St. John's (historical/nightlife)
>Toronto (nightlife)
>Halifax (historical)
>Vancouver (nightlife)
>Charlottetown (historical)

>>1183849
to be fair St. John's has a pretty ok night life with George Street
it has 21 bars/pubs within two small blocks, and is the only pedestrian street in the city, with people regularly out and about until 6am
>>
>>1183827
Two notes.

Québécois are assholes unless you speak French so I hope you know it and Montreal is going to be buried in snow for the next 5 months, I assume you're from the US, so you probably should've gone during the summer.
>>
>>1187730
>Québécois are assholes unless you speak French

We only hate jews and muslims
>>
>>1187730
>>1187734
2bh anglophones aren't really liked unless they're throwing cash at them at tourist hotspots
>>
>>1187745
Well ok here's the deal:
Some canadians live in Montreal and don't speak French at all. The reason is, they can get along just fine, because French-canadians have english courses at an early age, so most of us are 100% fluent in English even though it's a 2nd language.

Anglo-only living in Quebec are therefore lazy fucks and it rustles our jimmies
>>
>>1187749
that aside, the fact that your province is not bilingual by law while residing under a british monarch and a majority anglophone nation is kinda counter productive towards working with canada ngl
>>
>>1183827

>514 represent

montreal is the coolest city in canada. food is amazing, night life is really great, women are gorgeous, not as expensive as toronto or vancouver. also safest of all the big cities in north america.
>>
>4 days in Montreal
>3 days in Quebec City
Is that too much time in either/both cities for February as a solo traveler?
>>
>>1187829
I would spend more time in Quebec City, but maybe that's because I'm a Montreal native. There's more touristy things to do in Quebec City, and it's a more distinct experience. Montreal is a pretty basic North American city apart from the slight Frenchi-ness.
>>
>>1187848
I was trying to figure out what to do in Quebec City and it seemed like I would run out of things to do...can you offer some suggestions?
Here is what I have found so far:
>Walk all around the Old City, port, etc.
>La Citadelle
>Musee de la Civilisation
>Basilique Cathedrale
>Parliament (worthwhile?)
>Observatoire de la Capitale
The only other place I can think of is Montmorency Falls, but it seems it might be difficult to spend a lot of time there during winter.

What else might I be missing?
I don't care about nightlife stuff but I love history.
>>
>>1187851
If you're more into the culture aspect, then yeah, I would recommend Quebec City over Montreal. If you're going during the right timeframe, the ice hotel/Winter Carnival could be worth checking out too. You also might want to take a look at Chateau Frontenac though there's not much interesting inside (if that wasn't already planned with the walking around). I haven't visited Montmorency Falls during the winter, but I don't think it would be much different from a summer visit honestly so don't like the season dissuade you if you want to see waterfalls.
>>
>Is there actually anything to do in Montreal or what a different city be better?

>Why they chose Montreal of all places is beyond me.

Montreal is actually a really fucking fun city. Don't be such a debbie downer you fuck.

Tons of strip clubs so you can see and grab some titties, tons of bars and clubs with hot French Canadian chicks (although they won't speak to you if you don't speak French), and good food and music scene. Only problem is you're going in Jan so it'll be cold as fuck.
>>
>>1183827
Yeah?
I can never get excited about Montreal just reading about it. Geographyfag here, Montreal's local area doesn't look that much different so I wasn't blown Away by that. There's something about the city that I absolutely loved, I don't know what it is but I thought Montreal was fantastic.

I know that it seemed to have a really vibrant bar culture, since I don't give a shit about clubs or nightlife in that stuff I don't think that that is something that could have affected my opinion.

I don't know why I like to Montreal so much I guess maybe it's because it felt like a safe for in the city right next door, I found that unique and convenient in an exciting way. I hope they never speak English because that would ruin the feel of the city.
>>
>>1183827
I like Pie-IX and St. Michelle. My grandparents live there and it's nice seeing all my fellow Latinos and Haitians in one spot with drug crime
>>
Can anyone recommend hostels in Montreal and Quebec City?

These seem promising:

Montreal:
>M Montreal
>HI-Montreal Hostel
Quebec:
>Auberge internationale de Québec
>Auberge de la Paix
>>
>>1188106
HI Montréal next to crescent st. offert some free tour (pub crawl, mint royal and other )like the hi Quebec City (historical tour, pub crawl, waterfall tour and other stuff). IN February the 2 first week and weekend you got the Carnaval of. Quebec biggest winter Carnaval. It's possible to do ice fishing in the old port. Skating on the bAttlefild, native village that you can go by bus. Free to visit the parliament building.
Great bar in Qc city
St-angel for jazz, sacrilege for cheap beer, Voute de Napoleon for live singer, macfly for arcade game and beer, some under ground show at l anti.
>>
>>1188106
If you want to travel between this 2 cities check and book early for bus and train you cold pay around 30$ and carpooling kangaride for around 25$ all the time
>>
>>1183827
Don't put your Canadian flag in your bag. Just be prod of diversity.
>>
>>1183827
Igloo fest in mtl
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.