[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

USA Road Trip

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6

File: map.jpg (247KB, 1171x774px) Image search: [Google]
map.jpg
247KB, 1171x774px
I'm a 27yr old bloke from Australia looking at doing my first trip to America. I'm keen to do a road trip, and am planning on the West Coast. I have some friends in Phoenix AZ that I want to spend some time with, and I'd like to be able to socialize and meet people as I go. I've mapped out generally how I'd like to go about the trip.

I'm just not sure how long I should be spending in each area, or if there's anything I should skip/add. This is what I've got:

>Phoenix for a couple days with friends
>Fly to San Diego to start the road trip, to save driving the shit trip through the desert.
>Day trip to Mexico to start things off
>LA for 3 nights
>Santa Barbara 1 night
>Big Sur 1 night
>Santa Cruz 1 night
>San Francisco 3 nights
>Yosemite National Park 2 nights
>Lone Pine 1 night
>Las Vegas 2 nights
Then maybe somehow check out the Grand Canyon while headed back to Phoenix for a few nights with friends to finish off the trip.

All up about a 3 week trip. Not sure if I should try for a bit longer, if I'm not spending enough time in each place?
Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
>>
File: eggman does not approve.jpg (13KB, 167x243px) Image search: [Google]
eggman does not approve.jpg
13KB, 167x243px
>mfw op never tells us what his interests are
clubbing? indie music? museums? /out/? drinking? college sluts?
also, what time of year, and how are you getting around?

either way, here are some notes
>san diego
>santa barbara
exact same place (shitty bro towns with nothing to do but drink and hang out on generic beaches to pick up on generic blondes (aussie accent is ++ for that, btw)), except san diego has 1,000,000 people and santa barbara has 100,000. just go to one.
>santa cruz
shit. skip. i'd replace with kayaking on the bay out of monterey instead.
>yosemite
god tier if you avoid peak areas in peak season. in peak season expect to have to get a campsite reservation 4-6 months in advance. highway 120 across the park to the east side closes from november through may.
>lone pine
unless you're going into the eastern sierra high country there's no reason to stop here. and if you are planning on going to the high sierra spend the night there instead of lone pine. if you're really insistent on staying in town on the east side mammoth lakes and bishop are both superior options.
>>
>>1183783
It'll be during the summer. I'll be hiring a car to self drive around from San Diego onwards. I guess if I'm to choose between San Diego and Santa Barbara it would have to be San Diego since I'll already be stopping there to do a day trip to Tijuana?
Isn't college sluts everyone's interest? Drinking and clubbing will be on the agenda, but obviously cant get too messed up if i need to be driving. Normal tourist stuff such as museums dont really interest me, unless it's something i can just walk into straight away without having to wait in line.

Lone Pine is only there because i figured I'd need somewhere to stop between Yosemite and Vegas and that was a suggestion that i found online somewhere, guess i can just drive straight to vegas instead?

Thanks for the other tips as well.
>>
>>1183783
>there's no reason to stop here

Actually, yeah, there is. Lone Pine is convenient for the west entrance to Death Valley. There are a few relatively inexpensive hotels there, plus a really excellent local diner (probably one of the best diners I've ever been to, and I've been to a lot).

Other than the above, I pretty much concur with the rest of your post.

OP, if you're going to Yosemite (camping or staying in a hotel, it doesn't matter) better book a place yesterday -- everything fills up quickly, and far in advance. Also, it's pretty easy to drive from Vegas to the Grand Canyon (and on to Phoenix), and it's a nice drive. You may want to consider driving from Phoenix to San Diego as well -- you'll save only a bit of time by flying, and may end up spending more on the rental car if you pick up/drop off in different places.
>>
File: 1156253139367.gif (31KB, 85x85px) Image search: [Google]
1156253139367.gif
31KB, 85x85px
>>1183750
If you're already in Phoenix, let's chill. I know some great spots for beer.
>>
I would def add the Grand Canyon, even if I had to drop one day/night in L.A.
>>
>>1183750
That looks strikingly similar to a trip I'm planning out of Phoenix.

Hopefully your friends will know what to do here, I really don't. Most I can recommend if drinking and clubbing is your thing is Mill Avenue in Tempe. It's fun, and probably the best thing for it in all of Phoenix. Scottsdale and downtown have some nice bars too but there not in as close of proximity to each other and you'll need more money. Most of my interest in AZ is in the high country so I don't have much else.

San Diego is nice if you like museums and naval stuff, but it's mostly just nice hotels outside of that. Shelter Island is very pleasant and has some nice places to stay if you don't mind spending the money. The restaurants in and around there are great as well.

Downtown LA and the areas north of it are nice but I can't imagine spending three days there. If I were you I'd drop a day from LA and add it to Vegas. Additionally make time for the Grand Canyon. That trip takes you close enough that it's worth the visit. Pictures will never do the damned thing justice. It IS worth visiting.

Hope you enjoy the states OP. You're visiting the best part as far as I'm concerned.
>>
>>1183750
Be aware that crossing into mexico by car will take hours of waiting in line at the border, and will take up all of your time if you're only going for a day trip. If you really want to go to mexico, cross the border by foot instead
>>
>>1183750
OPie, Phoenician here. Your plan sounds gr8. Check out Sunset Crater if you have the chance! Mill is fucking awesome, Flagstaff is chill and worth the drive.
Sedona wouldn't impress you since you're most likely used to that scenery.

If you go to the Grand Canyon please please don't just look at it. HIKE IT.

Wake up early and do the Bright Angel trail!
>>
File: 1396541801422.jpg (30KB, 344x291px) Image search: [Google]
1396541801422.jpg
30KB, 344x291px
>>1183750
>I'm keen to do a road trip, and am planning on the West Coast
Oh boy I love the West Coast, let's see what I can hel-
>95% SoCal
>>
>>1184199
>not realizing that based off the map in op's post
>not offering some reasonable suggestions to expand op's options
>accusing anyone else of being a cunt
fuck off faggot.
>>
File: greater_pacific_journey_small.png (693KB, 940x980px) Image search: [Google]
greater_pacific_journey_small.png
693KB, 940x980px
>>1184199
Rate my trip anon. Phoenix and San Diego not shown.
>>
>>1183750
My two cents worth, but how about driving north out of phoenix through flagstaff hit the grand canyon, Vegas then hit yosemite/kings canyon then go to SF for enough time to drive through it (45 minutes) down to santa cruz, monterey, santa barbara, Los Angeles (venice beach...) then on to San Diego (Ensenada) then over to Phoenix
>>
>>1184413

Oh, and Sequoia National Park, Bodie, CA and Lake Tahoe
>>
>>1184413
>kings canyon
underrated, but is not convenient from vegas through yosemite to san francisco.
>san francisco
worth more than 45 minutes. (i hate sf, but it still deserves a couple days)
>santa cruz
still shit. don't go.
>>
>>1184386
you spending 4 months?

>>1184415
>sequoia
see king's canyon above
>bodie
probably the coolest thing on the sierra eastside that's not a mountain
>tahoe
in a 3 week trip of this scale you'd probably have to pick either tahoe or yosemite. i'd go with yosemite.
>>
>>1184425
A month and a half.
>>
Same here brah. 27 year old brit fag looking to road trip in America in the summer. Planning to start off in Canada, taking the Highway 1 down to Baha and stopping off in major cities like california. Not sure if theres anything interesting to do or see on the way there so if anyone can help me out here, I will be very grateful!
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.