[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Morocco

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

File: afmar.jpg (100KB, 1200x569px) Image search: [Google]
afmar.jpg
100KB, 1200x569px
Saw some other threads involving Morocco but they were too specific. If you had 3-4 days to spend in Morocco in February, what would you do?

Side note: I'm a male which is good for not being sexually assaulted, but I am a blue-eyes white fagon. Also I'm Murican. Any safety concerns?
>>
>>1183184
Go somewhere in the Atlas, find a nice little village, and smoke some of the best hash you'll ever get.
>>
You're going all the way from America to Morocco for just 3 days? Jeez.

Anyway, the anon above has the right idea.

No safety concerns whatsoever.
>>
>>1183251
Whose to say he isn't stopping over on a leg of a larger trip?
>>
You can get by speaking French in Morocco right?
>>
>>1183340
Mostly yes, but it depends on the region. On the former spanish colony side, spanish is more prevalent, also because they get spanish radio and TV, so everybody watches that. Specially in Tangiers. But in the larger part of the country, spanish it is. Keep in mind that it's only for the educated classes (not high class, just people who were able to go to school), so if you stray into small villages in the mountains, not so many people might speak it.
>>
>>1183197
>Atlas
Thats not how you spell Rif Mountains. Go to chefchaouen, OP. One of the most beautiful cities in the country and the best place for weed tourism hands down. Also: nice nature places all around and only like two or three hours from Tangier, which is good to fly in/ from because its so short from Lisbon and Madrid.
>>
>>1183442
>two or three hours from Tangier
Are you sure? I thought it was a lot longer.

>>1183422
Yeah, I had a nasty shock when I took the boat to Melilla/Nador and asked the first person I saw "pardonnez-moi, ou est la gare routiere?"
>>
>>1183251
American but I'm living in Spain
>>
OP here. I speak Spanish reasonably well so I'd prefer to visit places where that can get me by, but it's not a necessity. Which two should I pick out of Tangiers, Marrakech, and Fes? Why?
>>
>>1183523
Also, is intercity transport good?
>>
>>1183523
In Fes and Tangier you'll be able to use Spanish -- though in all big cities everyone speaks English so that doesn't really matter.
Only reason to haul ass down to Marrakech would be to see the deserty side of the country; everything north of Fes looks more or less like Spain.

Inter-city transport is...yeah, I guess you can say it's good, in that it's frequent and easy to access, though it's distinctively Moroccan: chaotic, irregular, and slow.
You have three choices: bus, shared taxi, and train. I'd recommend them in that order.
With buses you have two options again: reputable companies (CTM, Supratours -- they pretend to be up to a Western standard) and the 'other' bus companies, which are cheap, but you stand a chance of getting scammed depending on where you buy your ticket, also they don't depart until they're full, and they might stop for two hours halfway through the journey for no goddamn reason.
Shared taxis are faster than buses, but more expensive and much less comfortable.
The main drawback of trains is they don't go many places.
>>
>>1183422
>also because they get spanish radio and TV, so everybody watches that
Mexican telenovelas? Do Moroccan women like Mexican men?
>>
>>1183606
Allow me to disagree with you. Trains are limited, yes, but whenever you have a chance, take them. Super cheap, comfortable enough, and travelling for a few hours surrounded by moroccans is a lot of fun. They'll be curious about you, ask you questions, share their food and drink, invite you to go out with them when you get to your destination. Awesome experience overall. Plus you get to see the countryside up close, you don't see that if you go with a taxi/bus on the roads.

Taxis are pretty cheap, but make sure you take the shared taxis. Some will want to take you alone, and charge a fortune.

>>1183489
>two or three hours from Tangier
>Are you sure? I thought it was a lot longer.

It was longer from what I remember, 4 to 5 hours. Thing is, the distance is not so big, but roads are winding up and down and side to side, through the mountains etc.

>>1183645
no, I mean the public channels from Spain, so I guess the news and other entertainment shows. Plus football, they all love football, and watch it in spanish.

The berber (native moroccan tribes, non-muslim) look a lot like mexicans, so I guess they won't be disgusted by mexis, but won't find them exotic either.
>>
>>1183606
>>1183645
>>1183660
So if I go to Fes and Tangier, what do you think I should do?
>>
>>1183666
for transportation? Train, no doubt about it.
Tanger-Fes is 5 hrs on train for 10 euros. Check it out at oncfdotma
>>
>>1183523
>Tangier, Marrakech or Fez
Fez. A hundred times fez from those options. Tangier is nice but not very comfy and Marrakech is complete trash. Easily the worst place in the country if you dont like constant harassment from shop owners, beggars everywhere and people who try to scam you.

Fez is much nicer both climate and comfyness wise, and much more "moroccan" than Tangier. It has the biggest medina in the country, top food (especially sweet stuff) and lots of interesting buildings (oldest university in the world) to look at.
Also its not too far from the Rif Mountains if youre into hiking or smoking hash.

Alternatively I can recommend the villages around Agadir on the atlantic coast. Taghazout and Tamraght/ banana village are the top surfing location in the country and the weather is consistently 25-30C sunshine all year. Agadir has some interesting stuff but is mostly interesting because of the airport...
Wont be your pair of shoes if you dont like to surf or do other watersports.
Possibly better if you have more than a couple days, so you can do fun stuff there and look at things in other places in one go.

>>1183528
There are various bus companies operating all over the country. Comfort and speed depend on price, but its quick enough.
Trains I didnt take, but they are supposed to be decent and not much more expensive than busses.
>>
File: SAM_3497.jpg (3MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
SAM_3497.jpg
3MB, 4000x3000px
>>1183739
I agree with everything in this post, but let's be fair on two points -- the harassment is just as bad in Fes as in Marrakech, and despite Marrakech being replete with rude human trash, it's still possible to have a nice time there.

>>1183666
Honestly I don't know what there is to do in Tangier. All I did was get high and walk around the Berber souk buying fish and veggies to make experimental meals in my hostel kitchen. The surrounding coastline is pretty sublime.
In Fes spend a little money on a nice riad room so you have a quiet place to get out of the chaos of the streets. Moroccan cities wear their beauty on the inside, so find pretexts to get inside as many buildings as possible. Fes also has the second-best street food in the country, so go hog wild with the peach juice and keftas (most proper restaurants there are shit anyway)
>>
>>1183739
>>1183744
So it sounds like my best bet would be to spend my 3-4 days in Fez? Maybe one day in Tangiers if I fly in there?
>>
Just booked a flight to Fez. Want to stay 10 days in total in Morocco.
Actually wanted to book a flight back from Marrakech, but now I am not sure anymore. Which cities/trips do you recommend me for 10 days (arriving in Fez)?
>>
Just spent 4 days in Morocco last weekend. Also murican but female, was with a dozen other friends through moroccanexchange dot org and had a great time. Got into Tangiers, spent two days in Rabat (my favorite), then spent the last day in Chefchaouen. Chefchaoen speaks English and Spanish and is mostly touristy, but got by in the other two cities with limited French and broken English
>>
>>1184048
I spent a week just hanging in the medina in Fez a couple years ago. It was so cool to just wander around a city that old I couldn't tear myself away. If you find yourself there have a meal at Chez Thami near the Blue Gate.
>>
>>1183739
Don't wanna confuse you OP but I'd def suggest Marrakech and Fez. This anon must have had some very bad experiences but I found Marrakech to be nothing but delightful. Yes you'll be harrassed alot by shop owners in the central souq, but that's to be expected. Still definitely worth checking out. The rest of Marrakech actually has a very comfy and metropolitan ambience. Was surprised by how relaxed the city felt (barring the insane traffic...). Some of the best sights in urban Morocco too. You have to go to the Qasr Bahia (I think it was called), a palace exhibition which had my jaw dropping for an entire hour.

Found Fez to be less pleasant. But you should still go. It's the handicrafts capital of Morocco after all, which is no small compliment. The house of carpets or whatever it's called is amazing. I didn't like the cramped feel of the city so much but it definitely feels frozen in time from a thousand years ago in some parts.

Tangier is trash though.
>>
>>1184195
Thanks for weighing in. My only concerns are that I'm flying from Spain, and Marrakech is typically much more costly either way, and also that trying to visit Fez and Marrakech in 3.5 days might be really tight. What do you think?
>>
Can you recommend any hiking trips around Fez?

I think I gonna visit Fez and Rabat in 8 full days..
>>
>>1184279
Go into the medina in Fez. Try finding your way out. That will take a couple days.
>>
>>1184279
Tazekka National Park is maybe 1 1/2 hours from Fes, really cool place. Big oak/cedar forest with lots of wildlife.
There's probably closer stuff, though.
>>
Are there any decent clubs in Fez? I don't mean typical european clubs where people line up outside, inside it's a crowded mess and everyone's drunk and dancing on the floor. I doubt that exists in Morocco. But a nice club where you can have a drink and dance a bit, and still be able to hold a conversation?
>>
>>1183744
which riad is that one? Looks really similar to the one I stayed in, but maybe they all look similar.
Is it in Marrakech?
>>
>>1184797
Yea it is. Could be the same, but there are an astonishing number of these places.
>>
Bump for info, I'm going with a mate in a week.
>>
>>1184773
>Moroccans
>gender-mixing in a den of inequity, with haram alcohol to boot
Moroccan men drink tea/coffee and smoke, and yes you can join them. The only Moroccan women you'll be talking to are either taking your food orders or prostitutes.
>>
>>1186125

I know, but I was talking more about clubs for expats and westernized moroccans. In Tangier there was a really nice one by the beach, and the customers were foreigners passing by, expats living there, and rich moroccans who either had money coming in from Europe somehow, or worked in Europe and where back for holidays.
>>
>>1186304
I'd recommend going to Morocco to see Morocco. If you want clubs go to Ibiza or some place like that.
>>
>>1184812
Is it the Les Hibiscus? In a small alley that you go in through derb dabachi?
>>
>>1186326
Yeah it is! My normal haunt is the nearby Rainbow Hostel but I was in town for a few nights with my mother so I thought I'd spring for class.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.