[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

arriving 72 minutes before departure. Norwegian.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

Some boring airport questions coming up.

So arriving at Manchester ( UK ) airport on a weekday lunchtime in January by train. With 72 minutes before boarding for a European flight with Norwegian and only hand luggage.

I've never waited more than 30 minutes through security at any airport, but I've never been by Manchester before. So my questions are in two parts.

Norwegian say that the boarding gate closes 30 minutes(!!!) before departure, which to me is rather extreme. Can I assume this is not actually the case and that I could quite easily roll up 15 minutes before departure and just join the end of the queue? How strictly is this enforced? Will they give me a last call if I am held up for whatever reason?

Security shouldn't take more than 30 minutes at this time of year and day right? Outside of school holiday season???

And finally. Norwegian say that you can do online checkin and they'll send you an SMS with your boarding pass 2 hours before departure which you can use on your phone, and that it's not possible to do like Ryanair and print your boarding pass out at home ( which would be much easier ). Has anybody used this system, does it work? Do I need mobile data for this?

Anyway what are my chances, unnecessarily long and stupid post. Sorry.
>>
File: IMG_0417.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0417.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
You've got nothing to worry about.

Security will take 15 mins if its busy, less than 5 if it's not.

I've never used the phone pass myself but I have seen plenty of people scanning their phones to get through the gates so I assume you will be okay there.

I use Manchester airport 20+ times a year.
>>
yeah i fly out of manchester whenever i go abroad and its nearly always a breeze, and that's usually in holiday season.
i flew with norwegian recently and they sent me my boarding pass via email straight after the online check in, but if you're using a phone pass then yeah im sure that will work, manchester is a pretty modern airport
>>
>Norwegian say that the boarding gate closes 30 minutes(!!!) before departure

Standard procedure. If everything goes by the books, this will be true, so don't doodle with it.

>Norwegian say that you can do online checkin and they'll send you an SMS with your boarding pass 2 hours before departure which you can use on your phone, and that it's not possible to do like Ryanair and print your boarding pass out at home ( which would be much easier ). Has anybody used this system, does it work? Do I need mobile data for this?

This is what I don't understand. Do they specifically mention SMS? If so, you need just regular GSM services, not mobile data, which is internet, SMS doesn't use internet.

The way Ryan and Wizzair (and I assume other airlines too) do mobile check in is that they just have an app that displays a QR code which is your boarding pass. You can print it for redundancy's sake, but I usually just shove my phone screen into the scanner and it works. This will not work with an SMS though, as SMS is strictly text.
>>
>>1182999

Great, that's really reassuring to know. Regarding security. Thanks mate.

>>1183037

An email of a PDF I could print would be perfect, is that what you got?

>>1183049

If security is as fast as >>1182999 says, then really that shouldn't be a particularly huge problem. I've still got time in my 72 minutes to accommodate a period of pointless waiting that seems inescapable at airports.

But anyway, that's why I'm asking how it works, it makes no sense to me either because how could an SMS be a boarding pass? According to the Norwegian website they have three nice and convoluted technological solutions.

http://www.norwegian.com/uk/travel-info/check-in-and-boarding/online-check-in/

So I'm looking at the SMS one, because the other two don't make sense to me, all fucking apps. Confusing.

Anyway thanks for your advice, I'm gonna go for it and book this train anyway, I haven't cut it so fine before should fun.
>>
>>1183057
yep thats exactly what i got
>>
>>1183093

Can you explain briefly how it works? And how you managed to print it out?
>>
>>1182940
>and that I could quite easily roll up 15 minutes before departure and just join the end of the queue? How strictly is this enforced?
Gate agents are human. Some are assholes, overworked, dealing with too many things at once, coming right off of an argument with a rude or arrogant passenger, or something like that. I'm concerned with your word choice of "roll up" really. You should proceed there as quickly as you possibly can get to the gate. In general, when you are not at a gate AND not checked in, they start giving your seats away, or even earlier, if they are overbooked. It is indeed standard procedure. They need to shut the doors and get into their queue to takeoff on time, afterall. Some airports are more efficient at that and do it all in the last 10minutes, yet others board 30 minutes early. Just to shut that door.

But, if you are known to be landed in their system, and your bags are making a connection, they are fully aware of the security lines, and won't get strict with you, within reason, provided you made zero stops along the way, and you are flying the same airline. Fill in all of the personal information on the company websites, check-in as far in advance online, get an assigned sear if available(key!), and use your polite manners and don't be a dick. That's your best bet.
If this were Heathrow, I'd say forget it. That airport is an overcrowded mess for international connections. You'll be fine in Manchester.
>>
>>1183111

Oh it's not a connecting flight I must say, I'm arriving by train. But as far as being checked in is concerned, because of online check-in, I will do this as far in advance as possible. So I'll be arriving at the airport checked in. And as far as making stops along the way, I'm not arriving 72 minutes early so I can dawdle around duty free, I'm arriving so early precisely so I don't have to! But thanks for your advice, and it seems from this thread I will be okay with 72 minutes. Thanks for the response.
>>
>>1183098
Sorry mate, I made a bit of an error earlier, the pdf norwegian emailed me wasnt actually my boarding pass,it was a sheet with barcode on which you have to scan at a kiosk to get a boarding pass and luggage tag.

Looking on the website you can scan the barcode on your phone to get a paper boarding pass the same way i did with my printed out pdf, or you can use your phone as a boarding pass itself.
hope this makes it clearer
>>
>>1183520

Yeah, right that's great thanks for clearing that up. I suppose I'll just rely on their electronic systems and use my phone, a few minutes saved locating, queuing and fucking about with an electronic check in kiosk could be all the difference between making my flight and not.

It's nice to have the redundancy of a solid piece of paper, but I'm sure it'll all be alright. Thanks.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.