[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to experience America. Visit some bigger city then hit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6

I want to experience America. Visit some bigger city then hit the road and see some nature. I would love to taste America from the very essence. Live with Americans and see how they live their everyday life.

Any advices? Road trip? Hiking? How much money should I prepare? Which route is the most interesting? This famous route 66?

I plan to spend 3 weeks and my budget will be like 3000$.
>>
really depends on your temperament.
stay away from the middle of the US. they are called flyover for a reason. a whole bunch of shit you can see any where. lots of meth heads demanding everyone else is to fault why they and the USA sucks now.

if you want a mix just hit the big cities and the cities that crawl out from there. California past the Golden Gate is great country filled with nice people
>>
>Live with Americans and see how they live their everyday life.
Work 9 to 5, Get shot

>How much money should I prepare?
About "3000$".

Have you done a slither of research for this? I don't think so.
>>
$3k is not even ballpark for three weeks.
>>
>>1182928
its plenty if you do it right.
>>
Ayy, proud American here. Here's some super American stuff you should consider putting on your checklist:

>Washington, D.C. - see the Vietnam Memorial, it's surreal
>Savannah, a coastal GA town I lived near that was so beautiful, Union soldiers refused to burn it down when they captured it
>See Zion National Park and the Grand Canyon, or Yellowstone, some of America's most beautiful scenery
>Go to a protest. Don't be an opinionated douche, but there's some real upheaval in American politics now, so go and learn
>Some American activities are rodeos, anything in Texas, country fairs,some Route 66 stuff (although it's mostly gone - I'd make a list of bookmarked places on Google Earth and pick a path that takes you close to many of them), see an ultra-Baptist church like Borat did, go to a night club in Las Vegas, a bunch of other cool shit, anything that looks interesting along the way

Where are you from OP?
>>
>>1182917
Post more about your itinerary: What specifically do you want to see, and what part of the country do you want to visit? I might caution against Route 66 unless long, lonely roads through hours and hours of fields is your thing.
>>
city or rural?
>>
>>1182928
>>1182930

$35 a night to stay at a hostel in NYC
>>
>>1182917
>3000
>wants to see all of the US.

Lol. Europeans are geographically retarded. Maybe you could visit some tourist traps and then you'd run out of money. What would you say to an American that wants to see all of Europe with $3000?

Sorry bud, but you can't just visit New York one day and visit Chicago the next. It takes several days of driving non-stop to get from 1 side of the country to the other.

Unless you want to hitchhike and eat 1 meal a day, you cannot do it. Just focus on 1 state or 1 geographic area and visit it.
>>
>>1182948
Also the Euro is pretty worthless right now compared to the US dollar. So you're literally visiting the US the worst time economically for you.

The Euro is dropping while the US dollar is rising. That's good for American tourists, but terrible for European tourists.
>>
File: europe-us-overlay-map.jpg (82KB, 618x405px) Image search: [Google]
europe-us-overlay-map.jpg
82KB, 618x405px
we're bigger than you think
>>
>>1182917
If you want to see American History (revolution etc.) the East coast is where you want to be.
>>
>>1182917
Im going to address the Americas, not just the US. Pick a region. You'll end up wasting money on flights. Driving will take up too much of your time you could be spending doing cool shit.
>San Francisco CA, Portland OR, Seattle WA, Vancouver Canada. Trains run up that way too.
>Chicago IL, not much else around there. Maybe Wisconsin and Michigan.
>New York City NY,Philadelphia PA, Montreal Canada
>Florida, Yucatan Mexico

>>1182963
Except theres a lot of nothing and worthless states whereas Europe practically has something in every corner to experience.
>>
>>1182972
Also Northeast theres upstate New York, Maine, and Vermont. Personally I would do West Coast. Seattle is a great city with a lot to do in that region. Then its up to you how much of a Cali you want to see.
>>
I knew a friend who drove from Savannah Georgia to Yellowstone. He took about a week, and did it for very cheap: There's signs along the road, and they sometimes show accommodation and camping. Pay $2 and sleep in your car next to a lake. You could get by on a couple dollars a night, plus meals at Waffle House or Taco Bell for super cheap.
>>
>>1182972
>traveling past nothing doesn't cost time and money
>>
>>1183193
I didn't say anything about the cost of traveling through desolation. I said it'll take up too much time. It depends on what he wants to see but who wants to drive through no-mans land? If he wants to rent a car to get around in a region, thats cool but fuck driving from Georgia to Yellowstone.
>>
>>1182972
>theres a lot of nothing and worthless states
This is when I use AtlasObscura. I never would've visited Goblin Valley when I was driving through Utah, even though that turned into my favorite part of the trip; There's interesting stuff in places you'd never think to look.
>>
>>1183200
No I wouldn't ever say Utah has nothing to offer. Im well aware of the many natural attractions there. There is cool shit in almost every state but not enough to deem everyone of them worthy of a visit.
>>
>>1183202
desu if OP is European and wants to experience real Americana, the states with nothing to do are a lot of the times the ones with the quirkiest American culture. Places in Oklahoma and Kansas have a lot of 1930s tourist traps from when they were trying to draw visitors.

Worlds largest ball of yarn, Flintstones City, old mining towns, carhenge, Fort Sill, comfy churches in the middle of endless cornfields. And everyone is nice and wants to talk, if someone in Kansas heard you were from Germany or somewhere I'm sure they'd talk your head off.
>>
>>1182948
with 3000 you can see a lot from europe, if you do it right. it depends on your priorities and lifestyle. i agree that 3000 is not much but you dont need 20.000 like you make it sound..

>Sorry bud, but you can't just visit New York one day and visit Chicago the next

why not? a flight from nyc to chicago is 36 euro.
>>
>>1183273
>why not? a flight from nyc to chicago is 36 euro.
Not him but fuck I didnt realize it was so cheap.
>>
>>1182943
You're either an attractive woman or you're delusional
>>
>>1183323
>attractive woman
Eh I suck a mean dick.
>>
File: 0.jpg (19KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
19KB, 480x360px
>>1183199
>I said it'll take up too much time
and that was my point, retard. yuros always think they can hop from nyc to miami to la because they don't realize that that's like trying to get from portugal to greece to finland.
>>
>>1183273

Theres no way thats the final price. There has to be some hidden fees, taxes, etc. That price just doesnt make sense economically.

Yeah, NYC-Chicago is still gonna be cheap, but those are two of the busiest airports in the country. I wouldnt base your travel budget on prices like that because that is absolutely abnormal.
>>
>>1183686
the final price is 41 eur (44$). check google flights, its really that cheap. its economically its better to get 44$ instead of nothing. i know its sick, but thats the way its is. of course you wont find that price every day like around christmas, but when i checked there where a lot of flights for that price and the other flight where about 50 eur. in europe we have ryanair, i flew from frankfurt to ibiza for 25 eur.. check it dude.
>>
>>1183694

Yeah, no. Check again.

Google flights shows tons of flights 1 way from LGA (NYC) to ohare (chicago) for 44$, "including taxes and fees". However, if you read the fine print, it says additional fees may be imposed by the carrier/operator.

Lo and behold, the airline offering this price is none other than Spirit, which is debatably the shitiest airline in the country. Its basically the same business model as Rynair.

So i went ahead and checked what your 44$ flight would REALLY cost. Right off the bat, they state they allow 1 small item to be carried on, like a purse or small backpack, ONLY if it can fit under the seat. There is no option for a free carryon of normal size. Instead, you are alotted one carryone (other than the small backpack/purse that is) for the fee of $35. So right there thats almost double of what your original price quote was. And thats only if you do it on their website, otherwise the fee is 45$. And you best do this shit online, because if you do it at the gate assuming the carryon was free? 100$!!!!

Then, you get the "passenger usage charge" of 9-18$ which they charge if you use a booking website or their website, because fuck you thats why. Want to call them directly and book it? Well DOUBLE FUCK YOU because thats a 35$ charge for wasting their live travel agents precious time! You better have a printer too, because if not, thats another 2$ for using the kiosk at the airport. And if spirit doesnt have a kiosk (i have a creeping suspicion they wont)?? Its 10$ to get your boarding pass. Oh, and you have to pay another 2$ for the "unintended consequences of the DOT regulations charge", which is to "recover revenue lost to DOT regulations AKA fuck you".

Do the math dude. Gullible people like you are exactly why these bullshit scam artist airlines are able to stay in business. They cant stay afloat with cheap tickets but they can when idiots pay 100$ for a carryon at the gate when they thought its free like every other airlike ever.
>>
>>1183771
i flew from frankfurt to ibiza with ryanair for 25 eur, and i read the conditions before i booked. i only had a small suitcase, which was enough for me and it was nicer to carry it by the way. other people may need more. im sorry, i forgot to the mention the luggage point, its really shitty if you dont know but i didnt pay a single eur more than that 25. but your calculation is for idiots who dont read the conditions of what they buy.
>>
>>1183810

That has literally nothing to do with what we are talking about though lol.

You said you could get a flight from NYC to Chicago for $44. You cant. Thats my point. Youre going to be paying almost double at the very minimum. The absolute minimum, before taxes by the carrier, will be $57, and thats only if you are traveling without any luggage other than a SMALL backpack. If you bring your small "carry on sized" suitcase, you will need to pay at least $35 for that, which bumps you up to a minimum of $92. At that point you may as well shell out the extra 10 bucks and get an airline that has better seats, lets you have a free carryon, and free drinks snacks - all things that spirit will not give you. Plus if youre lucky you might not have to fly out of the festering shithole of an airport that is LGA right now due to construction.
>>
File: Ryanair-Handgepaeck-Tester.jpg (68KB, 700x467px) Image search: [Google]
Ryanair-Handgepaeck-Tester.jpg
68KB, 700x467px
>>1183816
ok i thought it was like ryanair, they allow a small suitcase or bagpack, or even both, i mean my gfs purse was almost like a bagpack.. also i dont need snacks and drinks and a big seat for a two hour flight, if it makes it so cheap. but spirit really seems to be shitty. i saw delta and united flights for 60. i guess they are better and its the final price? how much is bus or train?
>>
>>1183821

Not at all like Ryanair's carry on system. I mean even they are known for their deceptive bullshit but spirit really takes it to another level. You would have got raped by a $100 at the gate if it wasnt for me posting lol. If its too good to be true, it is. And in mega industries like air travel, if a price is noticably below the average competition price, its because they are hiding a fuckload of hidden fees. Even if you did get the lowest possible price from spirit ($57), theyd only be undercutting by $3. And thats with their shitty planes and shitty service. They make money by slamming people with the surprise fees and using cheap equipment to keep overhead low. The pilots and crews definitely make far less as well with them so expect poorer quality all around.

I think ive only been on united once though but delta several times. They are perfectly fine. They are certainly not great. But the standards by which they operate are good, to me they are the basic middle of the road option. They wont wow you but for point A>B they are your best bet. They will let you take on 1 carry on per person as well as a personal item (like every airline ever, barring spirit) for free. I dont recall any hidden fucked up fees, im sure they have a few but if they exist they were negligable. I flew on delta from NYC to Rome which was a pretty brutal flight but only because im tall and cant sleep sitting up and it was overnight - the airline itself isnt really at fault for that. I was perfectly satisfied on that 8 hour flight. Ive been on several other short flights in the US with delta. They give a free little drink or snack usually, all the flights ive been on with them have tvs on the headrests, the economy seats are obviously not great but reasonable - overall they basically give everything you could expect. In a nutshell if you are satisfied with ryanair you will be very satisfied with delta or united.
>>
>>1183824

Would like to add that southwest offers 1 free checked bag per person. I think i might have flown on them once, theyre nothing remarkable but definitely not shit.

If you definitely wont be checking a bag then go for delta or united. If you do want to travel with a bag thats larger, go with southwest, but ONLY if southwest is at least $25 cheaper because thats what the typical checked bag fee is.
>>
I see a lot of threads about people wanting to visit and see the U.S. and it is clear that they don't have the concept of how big it is or how spread out.

I live in Texas on the gulf coast, but have traveled way more than most.

My advice to you, and anyone else with a similar interest, with limited time and money, is to do a little research and decide on what part of the U.S. interests you the most. It is very diverse and you are going to get a much different experience in each area.

For example, you could concentrate on California and see all the cool things in the bay area, drive the coast highway, giant trees, etc...

You could do NYC and then travel to the very rural and different upstate NY, and some of New England.

You could pick somewhere in the south like New Orleans, great food, jazz and blues music, party atmosphere, and see the bayou country side.

You could go to Nevada and see Vegas, Lake Tahoe, and out to the Grand Canyon.

I would like to add this as well, while the coasts are popular for good reason, the fly over states have things to offer as well. Places like Oklahoma City has a very nice down town with a river walk, a few museums, and some of the most friendly people...which is not all ways true in L.A. or NY. Kansas City, Nashville, etc...they all offer something interesting in food or music or culture.

It really just depends on what you like, you could do Denver and then go skiing or snow boarding, or in warm weather hiking or camping in the rockies.

The point being, you can't see it all, focus on something that will make you happy.
>>
>>1183685
Oh Im sorry retard, your green text wasn't very effective. Don't blame me.
>>
File: P66zAdv.jpg (318KB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
P66zAdv.jpg
318KB, 2448x3264px
>>1182917
California seems like a pretty good place to start. Very impressive scenery and laid-back folk with quite a lively atmosphere. Also, drive two hours away to see snow-capped mountains, deserts with empty horizons, beautiful beaches. Which ever direction you go from LA, there's a national park nearby. Though driving is critical to truly enjoy what the state has to offer, I found myself relishing every road scenery, The US 66 has a small part in Cali but honestly, its nothing but just giftshops occasionally along the road.
>>
File: richmond-hostel-common-2015.jpg (80KB, 345x258px) Image search: [Google]
richmond-hostel-common-2015.jpg
80KB, 345x258px
3000$ for 21 days is 145$ a day, of course it's enough if you keep it simple.

I'm on my fourth week, started in NYC and now in Richmond and never spent more than 100 a day, travelling with bus companies though, cheaper than renting a car.

My hostel is currently 27$ a night (6beds dorm) and better than many many hotels I've been in, free laundry, free breakfast, computers, kitchen, pool table...

That means everyday here I save 100$ on your budget and could spend them another day.

I'll admit now distances will start to feel longer but I can't wait to be in fucking Alabama or Texas.

Also I'm taking any suggestions for where I go next, Columbia seems good.

I'll admit this post is accurate >>1182923
and there's a shit ton of black people and mexicans everywhere you go, feels like Paris, London or Malmo.
>>
>>1184285
What part of Texas will you be passing through?

So you have been in the states for four weeks, how many people have you seen get shot so far?
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.