[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help me find my ideal city that likely doesn't exist

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: vermont-fall0816.jpg (610KB, 1600x1000px) Image search: [Google]
vermont-fall0816.jpg
610KB, 1600x1000px
I'm graduating from university next semester, and having spent my entire life in Wisconsin (I've traveled abroad considerably, but have only ever lived here) I'd like to move somewhere else in the US or Canada for a few years. I love WI and could potentially see myself returning, but I need to get out for a while. Here is some criteria:
>Snow-filled winters
I love the winter, and the snow especially. I also enjoy autumn and having all four seasons.
>Close proximity to mountains/foothills and forest
I enjoy hiking and generally being /out/ along with the natural beauty of these things
>Somewhat rural
Emphasis on the somewhat. I've spent the past 5 years in Milwaukee, and have grown accustomed to the offerings of a larger city, however I'm from a smaller town and appreciate the safety that they offer. I want to be able to walk home drunk at 2 am without getting a gun pulled on me or jumped. At the same time, I want a place that has cafés, bookstores, an art scene and the like.
>Liberal population
I'm pretty middle of the road politcally, but lean more towards the left. I despise SJWs as much as anyone here, but would rather live with them than some backwoods rednecks. This is partly due to the cultrual offerings listed above being more prevelant in liberal areas, and partly to finding cool people around my age (20s).
>Jobs/COL
I double majored in Philosophy and Literature, so I likely won't be making a ton of money and thus need a relatively low COL. I'm looking towards going into editing/publishing or technical writing, so a place close to where these sorts of jobs are not unheard of would be nice.

Right now, I'm thinking of places like Portland, ME; Vermont (open to city suggestions, I only know of Burlington which seems perfect but maybe too college-centered); Somewhere in CO (maybe too expensive), WA or OR (doesn't have the winters I want).
Looking for more info on these places and reccs for more. Thanks.
>>
Wyoming is also on my list, but I feel as though I'd have a hard time finding a town that offers the cultural amenities I'm looking for.
>>
You can't afford to live in Portland unless you have a trust fund. It is a cool city with an easy vibe and many breweries but it's barely a Maine city. Really all it does functionally is propose liberal referendums that the state shoots down. Occasionally talk of splitting from the rest of the state.

t. mainer
>>
Asheville
>>
>>1182865
Is it really that expensive there? I figured that Vermont would be where I'd be priced out of, if anywhere.

>>1182868
I've been hearing a lot of good things about Asheville for a couple of years now. Do they have the winters I'm looking for, though?
>>
>>1182862
You should visit Marquette, Michigan in the UP. Small liberal college town, great winters (200+ inches of snow/year), beautiful scenery, decent skiing nearby, lake superior out your front door. Cheap cost of living, close to WI.

Only drawback is it can be tough to find a job there, but you're going to struggle with those degrees no matter where you go.
>>
>>1182868
Stop with this meme, they get no snow
>>
>>1182875
Thanks. Lake Superior towns have been interesting to me, Ashland in particular. I have a friend going to the ecology school up there.
The degrees are generally my problem, though. I don't regret going for them, but they set me up for jobs in large urban areas that I'm trying to get away from.
>>
>>1182881
Honestly unless you get a graduate degree i don't see you having much opportunity in those fields. I don't think you're really in a position to be picking a city and moving there; you'll probably need to follow the work or go back to school.

Marquette and the UP in general is a great place to live though, highly recommend.
>>
>>1182862

Pittsburgh

>Generally snowy winters
>4 seasons
>Drive 30 or 45 minutes in any direction from downtown and you're in boonies
>SW PA is all hills and forest
>Big city, small town feel
>Lot of universities and liberals in the city
>Lot of high tech jobs in medicine, education, and fracking/shale.
>Consistantly rated as one of the top cities in the US and very affordable cost of living
>>
>>1182862
Denver
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.