[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Italy thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 4

File: file.png (868KB, 858x536px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
868KB, 858x536px
I'll be visiting italy by myself for the first time this coming summer. Over this past summer I visited Japan by myself after learning some conversational japanese through rosetta stone. I got around just fine using that language, a bike, and an itinerary. Would it be easy to get around like that in Italy if I'm by myself? I'm not sure if I'll be hitting bars up or not.

White 21 year old male if that makes any difference
>>
File: 1286521972b.jpg (25KB, 363x458px) Image search: [Google]
1286521972b.jpg
25KB, 363x458px
if u dont feel like hitting bars you can just go here and get very cheap sex from nigerians
>>
>>1181137
you wanna bike across the country or what?
you like art and shieet or drinking cheap wine with slutty american tourists?

You gotta give us something to work with.

I myself traveled in Italy using every possible mean and never felt threatened, but I guess some parts of Napoli or Rome can be dangerous during night time. Language is really simple for english speakers but imo use duolingo - it's 'faster' so better for an easier language, also you can dl it for free on your phone.

In Italy you can always plan a trip of your life but you have to know exactly what are you looking for.
>>
>>1181650
Biking would be great, but not as the whole focus of the trip. Probably wouldn't be super compelled to go to any art galleries, and drinking cheap wine with slutty american tourists would be pretty good too.

I also really want to go to Venice, that is the main thing I would like to visit, but aside from that I'm sure there would be really cool things to do for the other 4-5 days I'm there (planning a week total).

Exploration and getting lost around other towns would be very nice I think.
>>
>>1181757
Venice resident here, you can't ride a bike in town. You can carry it by hand though or leave it at the public rack in the bus station. If you're looking for college girls to have fun with, you should be good in the nightlife areas, Campo Santa Margherita and Erbaria for example. I suggest sleeping in the mainland (cheaper) and going to the water town in the morning. When going to St Mark square, go there in the morning and leave quickly, because around lunchtime it fills with tourists and the alleys leading to it will be congested.
>>
Gonna go to Catania next month for a weekend with two friends. Anything I should visit, or know about? We're getting a nice airbnb. We basically want to sightsee a bit and go drinking. Any good bars/beers we should be looking out for?
Also, how good is the average Italian's English? Enough for us to go by? Or should I invest in one of those standard foreign sentences books?
>>
>>1181621
>cheap sex from nigerians
What's that like?
>>
Hi anons, not OP, but I'm also planning a northern Italy trip with my girlfriend this summer. We thought about something like
>flight to Rome, Rome
>Florence
>Ravenna
>Venice, flight or bus back

Is this any good or should we pick other destinations? The trip would talk 10-12 days and we are interested in antique architecture, culture today, photography and Assassin's Creed (so we also think about visiting Monteriggioni)

Cheers
>>
>>1182939
That looks like a good itinerary, have fun anon
>>
>>1182939
I'm planning something similar but not sure about local transport.

How are you getting from Rome to Florence?
>>
>>1183000
trains Rome-Florence are 24 euros one way, 1h30min. Safe, clean, reliable, depart almost every hour. You can get buses for maybe half that price, but never travelled on them, might be uncomfortable and dirty, don't know.

>>1182939
How long are you gonna be in Florence? Because unless you start going into every single art gallery and church, the city can be done in 2 or 3 days. If you've got some extra time, consider Siena or Lucca, just a short train ride away, and they are amazing cities.
>>
>>1182998
Thank you!

>>1183000
We didn't decide yet, but trains sound good

>>1183017
We thought about 2-4 days per city, but because we didn't surely decide where to go yet we don't know how much time we would have to spend in each of our picks. Thanks for your tips, we'll have a look on Siena and Lucca - but we want to have a relaxed and cozy stay, so we would rather stay a day longer in a city and enjoy the peace instead of using every day for sightseeing.
>>
File: IMG_1919.jpg (1MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1919.jpg
1MB, 4032x3024px
>>1181137
Rome is the most overrated city in the world, skip it and go to Assisi or some place

Rome breakdown
>Trash everywhere
>shit wine
>the entire city is a tourist trap
>pickpockets
>some good sushi places
>trash everywhere
>kinda neat churches
>trash everywhere
>rude and loud italians
>trash everywhere
>generally shitty hotels
did I mention that the entire city is full of fucking trash? I would compare it to India

pic is view from my hotel room
>>
>>1182939
Skip Rome, stop by Assisi, also northern Italy near the Swiss border is fucking stunning
>>
>>1183170
>the cradle of western civilization
>hurr durr it's overrated
Kys
>>
>>1183170
Rome is amazing. Sod off.
>>
>>1183017
Thanks man that's useful to know.
>>
>>1183170
Ma li mortacci tua.
You're right on the trash though.
>>
>>1183172
We won't, as I'm very interested in Roman history and will love to be there in person. But thanks, I'll have a look on Assisi.
>>
>>1183178
you can buy train tickets online here
>trenitalia d oooh t com
but I've heard the site can be a bit of a hassle. You can also go there in person (there's two terminals in Rome that do long-distance journeys, Termini is the main one, the other one is Tiburtina, just check online which one you need) and there's tons of self-service computers, choose english language and pay by card, easy as pie. You can buy tickets right before traveling, or you can get them a few days ahead.

Just keep your eyes open, sometimes there's gypsies in the area, and they target foreigners to "help them out" with the transaction, and they just fuck you over and take your money. Don't let anybody help you unless you're sure they're official employees.
>>
>>1183291
You're the real mvp, thanks a lot
>>
>>1182936
shitty
>>
>>1182939
Skip Venice, visit Bologna
>>
>>1183533
>trading Venice for shitskin central
Lmao enjoy getting raped
>>
>>1183170
stop looking in each and every goddamn mirror you bump into.
>>
>>1183533

Why not both? Venice is pretty much one of a kind. I mean yeah if you spend a full day there you pretty much saw everything worth seeing but itd be kinda dumb to skip it entirely.
>>
File: comacchio.jpg (531KB, 1600x1063px) Image search: [Google]
comacchio.jpg
531KB, 1600x1063px
>>1183663
Don't listen to >>1183621 he's mildly retarded and probably some faglord from some less relevant neighbouring city.

You are right, Venice is one of a kind but staying more than one day is not smart.
Tell you what, if i were you id spend one or two days in Bologna ( unlike Venice there's plenty to do after museums and monuments:clubs,parks,events,cars if you're into that ) then i'd spend a day visiting Comacchio,which is basically less famous, more down to earth,less crowded,Venice and THEN, i'd go to Venice.
From Venice you can go to Bassano del Grappa and Monte Grappa
>>
>>1182915
Living in Palermo for a couple months right now, in Sicily only people under 40 are going to know a a little bit of english, usually not very much but it ranges depending on the person you're talking to of course
Just get the phrase book incase
>>
>>1183851
>Bassano del Grappa
>Comacchio

Never heard of these 2 before, but I looked them up and they are awesome. Thanks!

Does anyone know of a cheap hostel right in the main island of Venice? Some italians told me once there was a very cheap and nice hostel, not very advertised, used mostly by students. Anyone got info on that?
>>
anyone have any specific recs for someone into philosophy, literature (Eco is great), computer science, or math? I'll get my visarts and architecture from rome, florence, siena, but looking for something more. not that into auditory arts
>>
>>1184904

Semiotics in Bologna
>>
>>1185000
what about semiotics in bologna? should i check out the university?
>>
>>1184904
no idea really, but check out this site, it might help you out

http://brunelleschi.imss.fi.it/itineraries/index.html

Also, for science in general I would say Milan, their technical university is quite prestigious.
>>
Would love to travel Italy for 12 days or so, what's there to do for a 19 year old, white Australian? Wouldn't mind a few nights hitting night clubs and all that but I'd rather try just meet some average Italians who are actually interested in showing me around or something.

Is twelve days too long? What different cities should I hit? What's there to do for your average 19 year old travelling solo? Are there nice beaches and when's the best time of year to go for them?

I've never really traveled before and I feel like just going around one country, city to city for just over a week would be a good start.

Ahhh why do I have to be so boring and scared of stepping out of my comfort zone. I just wish it was easy for me to convince myself to go on a holiday for 12 days and have some fun, fuck
>>
>>1185512
>Is 12 day too long?

Maybe in that time you can visit All of Rome
>>
>>1185512
hahah
my aussie mate that came to visit me while backpacking through europe took three fucking weeks to go through italy and didnt even start
you're in for a treat mate
>>
>>1182915
I'm near Catania and in general know the area fair well.
If you want to see a real eyecandy go to Taormina. I don't suggest to stay there for eat/drinking though, place is a turist trap. Better do it on the coast, after or before climbing up there.
>>
>>1185512

Here's a tip: don't go to Venice, Rome, Siena or Rome. Visit places like Mantova, Comacchio, Padova, Verona, Vicenza, Gubbio and Viterbo. Rent a car and drive if you can - smallish town Italy is infinitely more beautiful than the tourist trap cities
>>
>>1183865
I stayed in a hostel on the water town, it was super fucking basic but was still pretty expensive so I think you'll probably struggle
>>
itafag here, good call on the medium/smaller cities. my advice to non-italians is always to split your time between landmarks/big places and sightseeing the surrounding area, there will be always something big to see, e.g. venice-padova is just some 40 km.
also don't sleep IN venice but try supercrappy mestre on the mainland and save, then from there you can get a 1€ train to venice
>>
>>1186698

>heres a tip
>dont go to rome

This is fucking stupid. I mean i could see not making it the focus of a trip through Italy, or just passing through briefly... skipping it entirely is a fucktard idea.
>>
>>1186821
Idk, Rome was the shittiest place i've been to in Europe, literally a fucking shithole

i'm fucking mad i spent my money to go to that shitty of a place, fucking trash everywhere
>>
>>1186974
if you can't get past the trash to see all the beauty rome has to offer, then you're a fucking idiot.
>>
>>1186991
I'm a fucking idiot because I don't like a city that has a couple cool things to offer but i should overlook the beyond shitty hostels and trashy everywhere, and the poor people with no fucking limbs because muh history

Does Rome have historical significance? Of course
Does that exempt it from being a shitty city? No

Even when i went and staid in an actual hotel, for $150 it was the shittiest and smallest hotel room i've been in

Hostels in Amsterdam are nicer than the actual hotels in Rome

And i'm not even talking about the sheer amount of fucking idiot American and Asian tourists

I have to go back in 6 months and i am actually fucking dreading it

take away all the monuments and it is just as bad as an Indian Poo city
>>
3 day in Venice is enough?
My plan was to:
day 1: arrive and walk around Venice
day 2: murano + burano islands
day 3: walk around Venice a bit more and leave
And I'd like to take a stroll at night/early morning, which would probably happen in day 1 (night) and/or day 3 (early morning)

Is this stupid? Is it too expensive to be worth the stay?
I don't mind staying at cheap hostels, but I'd like to at least eat decently. Are there non-trap restaurants in Venice?
>>
>>1187346
Stay in the mainland, save money on accommodation. To find a non touristy restaurant just look for one that doesn't have a "tourist menu" or a guy standing outside the door trying to wave you in.
>>
>>1187357
How long does it take from the mainland to the island itself and how easy is it?
And I'd guess that finding non touristy restaurants in the islands (both Venice and Murano/Burano) will be harder?
>>
>>1187386
From the extreme limit of the city it takes 40 minutes, from the central hub it takes 15-20 with bus/tram. If you take the train it's faster but you have to reach the station first which is in an awkward spot. Coming and going is pretty easy since there's something every 10 minutes.
In Venice you can go to Campo Santa Margherita which is a square near the uni zone, there's some cheap stuff there but keep in mind that Venice as a whole is a quote expensive place.
>>
>>1187336
Have you considered an air bnb? Back before air bnb my family and I rented an apartment for a month in Rome, and compared to a hotel that was very reasonable. Also a couple cool things? You know you're trolling. I can understand not being too impressed with the Colosseum, but the Palatine hill was way less crowded and afforded great views. You could spend 3 days in the Vatican alone, and on top of that every church in the city is beautiful. Getting lost in that city is so much fun.

Also I cannot second Northern Italy - Swiss border enough. Even if you just take a train through that area, please go. It is a beautiful part of the world. It's a wonder.

Fuck it if you're up there stop by Switzerland too. Even their food is fucking great.
>>
>>1187336
Yeah who cares it's only one of the most historical cities in the world
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.