[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Travel alone vs in a group Why does traveling with others suck so bad

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 7

File: compare.jpg (207KB, 1344x768px) Image search: [Google]
compare.jpg
207KB, 1344x768px
Travel alone vs in a group
Why does traveling with others suck so bad
>>
File: Jasper 1.jpg (132KB, 835x624px) Image search: [Google]
Jasper 1.jpg
132KB, 835x624px
>>1180830
I think its because you are exposing yourself to new stimuli which can obviously be stressful and overwhelming. Your travel partners will very likely be exposed to a wider range of your emotive capability and through the course of several days and even weeks may sour any relationship that isn't built on a solid foundation. I learned this the hard way after I went travelling throughout Alberta with a friend.
>>
Alone I do what I want when I want. Want to sleep in the Hostel all day? I will. Want to go on a bus for two days and get to the highlands? I will.
On my own, if I meet someone fun, I can go and party with them and see what happens. I can change my plan in a second without discussing it with a friend.
Alone I am forced to meet new people because I will get lonely, whereas with a friend I wouldn't be as open to new people.

It can get lonely, but it's the way.
>>
>>1180830
>Why does traveling with others suck so bad
It doesn't in the company of like minded people. You can get very close to someone even on a short trip.

As the anon above said, the relationship has to have a pretty solid foundation.

That of course doesn't detract from how special traveling alone can be either.
>>
>>1180935
> the relationship has to have a pretty solid foundation

Either this or no foundation at all, travelling for a week or so with someone you meet can be great as you both make a proper effort. The middle ground is where things turn to shit.
>>
Traveling with a grill you like = either going to end up with a gf or a cunt who you never want to talk to again

Traveling with fun buddies = not gonna get much RealTraveling™ done but bound to have a fucking blast taking it easy

Traveling with family = fucking garbage, avoid at all costs
>>
>>1180947
>Traveling with family = fucking garbage
Depends on how much you like your family. I enjoy sharing experiences with mine personally.
>>
>>1180949
I like the things we do together, but doing it with them isn't really adding anything.
>>
>>1180949
My experiences have been mostly being put in the ''tour guide'' position for the whole trip without anyone else ever planning anything or finding things out for themselves, or scoping out the most mundane things in the area and dragging me to them, if I don't I'm an asshole who hates his family.
That coupled with having literally no privacy for a week or more just takes its toll on you.
>>
Both have their advantages and disadvantages. I tend to be good at befriending the locals wherever I go. Normally I can find buddies to hang out with, even if only for a night or two. All of the trips I've taken so far have been solo.

Right now I'm in a rut. I've been sick for a week and am very homesick. Times like this, I really do wish I had a long-time buddy to help me keep my spirits up. Maybe it wouldn't be fun for him or her, but I'm just over halfway done with my trip and I'm already sick of traveling (do note that I'm not a travel newb by any means).
>>
>>1180830
Because most people are insufferable and weak whiny little bitches who can't stand a minimal amount of discomfort for a minimal amount of time.
>>
>>1180830
Good question, I don't know.

At first I thought it was just because of priorities and preferences but the truth is even if I do everything I wanted to do with the group I find myself being annoyed by their very presence and wishing I had gone alone instead.

What I've come to realize is that when I take a vacation I'm not just taking a vacation from the shitty town that I live in I'm also taking a vacation from people I know. But also strangers BTFO.

Going alone is the only way to avoid resentment.
>>
>>1180830

You need to find the right people to travel with.
Basically it comes down to:
>is your friend interested in similar things
>does your friend have a similar sleeping rhythm
>is your friend generally open to trying new things (food etc.)
>does your friend know how to behave himself and be respectful

If any of those points don't apply then you should most likely travel without him/her.

Though just because your friends might make some situations less fun, doesn't mean that other situations can't be more fun. When I went to Japan this year with a friend of mine (who has barely traveled before), there were situations where I wished I had gone without him and situations where I was glad we were doing the trip together. Finding a perfect travel companion is hard and as long as the good outweigh the bad I think it's good to have friends to travel with.
>>
>>1180830
True. But sometimes, just sometimes, you need a person you could poke, point at something and say, laughing: "Hey, you saw that? You saw that?"

And it's not the same alone. Dont lie to me, you had times like these as well.
>>
>took a family trip to thailand at 16
>the thrill of trying to escape for an hour to quickly pick up the first hooker I could find, fuck her in our hotel room before my mom and dad came back from sight seeing
>>
>>1181021
Don't let us hangin'. Did you manage to do it ?
>>
>And it's not the same alone. Dont lie to me, you had times like these as well.
>>1181020
I can't lie to you, because I'm not sure what you're trying to say or imply in your post...
>>
File: 1399418160853.jpg (62KB, 256x259px) Image search: [Google]
1399418160853.jpg
62KB, 256x259px
>>1181020
huh?
>>
>>1180830
>Travel alone vs in a group
Maybe you have a personality disorder/poor skills, or they do? Or very disproportionate incomes and upbringings.
There's literally nothing better(!) than traveling with people who are like you, or very old comfortable friends, or as enthused about museums, or food, or spas, or whatever the draw about your trip is. If just one of you isn't a happy person, and you're roughing it, it's going to try patience.
I love a 3 day trip with friends, maybe up to a concert, or a self-drive vacation like an Ireland, 4 at a time, all doing B&Bs or staying in a resort together. People you like to shop with, who like similar music, and haven't seen each other in a while, great reunion times.

Boring people find other people to be boring. Look at yourself if you find it impossible to travel or to make great friends who would want to travel. You need to be semi-successful in life to drop some of the worries that roadblock travel enjoyably though.
>>
>>1181067
>stop liking things I don't like
t. Reddit
>>
I go to Vegas a lot, and I almost always go alone. The couple times I went with friends it was miserable. Missed connections, disagreements, always having to deal with that "one guy" who can't hold his liquor.

I hate relying on other people in general, It's so much more fun for me to be totally on my own and unencumbered.
>>
>>1181026

Oh my bad

>pretend to be sick, parents leave
>second they're outta there I grab all the baht I have
>Only 1000
>hit the street outside the hotel
>can't tell who is a hooker
>some women laugh in my face when I make a dick sucking motion and rub my fingers to indicate money
>Find some 30 something year old lady who speaks some English
>Finally get her to spend a half hour for the 1000 baht
>run her back to the hotel
>get really nervous
>she's really bored
>can't get hard
>Already wasted like 10 minutes
>getting paranoid because it took a while to find her and get her there
>give her a high five and say I had a good time
>she looks confused
>get her out of the room
>jerk off until my parents come back
>>
>>1180958
That sounds like a pain. My family is really good at coming up with their own ideas of what they want to do and even comfortable with splitting up for a while if there's a conflict of interests. It's nice.
>>
File: 1411743325817.jpg (39KB, 720x439px) Image search: [Google]
1411743325817.jpg
39KB, 720x439px
>>1181103
>>
>>1181074
>thread debating traveling alone vs. traveling in a group
>well thought out post arguing the positives of traveling in a group

I know you just came over and are trying hard to fit in, but you got to go back.
>>
>>1180837

Great advice.

New people and new environment are not great for patience.

This is why it's easy to rush tourists into buying stupid shit.
>>
>>1180830
Just like with any relationships, it's better to be alone than in bad company.

One of the best travels of my life were there two friends for a two month trip, and another two weeks long with a friend.
But also two where I was by myself.

And the worst ones were with two friends of mine which it appeared we have very different interests.

Pick your travel companions well, and the question you asked won't be a problem.

>TL;DR
Pick the right people when you hit the road.
>>
Traveling with friends can be very fun but traveling alone and meeting new people during the travel is god tier imo
>>
What are /trv/'s experiences of traveling alone but as part of a larger tour group?
>>
>>1181103
>16 year old
>not getting hard
bullshit
>>
I mich prefer exploring alone.

>anon, are you sure we are going the right way?
>the arrow pointed up. Does that mean upstairs or staoght ahead?
>maybe go ask that man
>anon, what makes you so sure we want the north exit from the train station? Why didnt we just ask that man where the hotel is?
>anon i think we should go back and ask... OH LOOK AT THESE PURSES! Lets go in this store!

I just cant handle people second guessing things or timid travelers who have to bother strangers every 30 paces.
>>
im planning on traveling with a friend ive known for almost 15 years since childhood
we're both similar in a lot of ways and have gone on trips together before
he's done traveling in Europe before/studied abroad, I've never been further than some places on the east coast of the US where I live

we're both really open to new experiences and just plan on doing whatever we feel like doing/come across wandering around the globe.

how well does anyone think this will work?
>>
>>1182367
Not him, but I used to have big time performance anxiety that would affect my hard-ons. Still do occasionally. Ironically it's with hotter women. I'm more turned on by women I feel I'm "better looking than" because I'm not feeling conscious. It's a curse. Be glad you don't have to deal with it.
>>
I don't enjoy the company of other people for too long. It's nice having a chat here and there, but I can't stand to be forced to interact with people for a long period of time, even friends.

I also don't feel lonely. I could understand feeling lonely if you're in a resort or something like that. But if you're in a new city in another country with so much stuff to see and to do, how could you get lonely?
>>
>>1180830
>Not traveling with your dog
Go pupper mode with dogmeat
>>
>>1182438
This, pretty much. I'm trying not to be an ass but I really much rather be alone.
>>
>>1184703
>how could you get lonely
When you see other people having good times with their mates
>>
>>1184707
>observing other people, especially tourists

Seems like you aren't the type for traveling and enjoying your time alone
>>
>>1184716
Because I travel to places with people, couples, and tourists? I like travelling alone btw, more than being alone at home, but that doesn't mean you can't feel lonely once in a while after not making lasting connections.
>>
>>1180830
Travel alone can be nice, but it really does make you feel alone. Groups can be unwieldy because lots of time gets wasted deciding on what to do if the group doesn't have a leader and a tight itinerary. Best travel experiences have been with one other person, where you are the other's partner in the adventure.

That said I've enjoyed group travel when the purpose is very specific and someone is in charge of making sure everything goes smoothly. Like with a band and crew on a tour bus with a set route of shows to play. In that situation a good tour manager will see to it the biggest decision you have to make that day is what to eat for lunch. You just go with the flow, do your job when the time comes and go to the next place. That's a good way to travel in a group.
>>
Had a conversation with my mother about an hour ago. She asked me about feeling lonely in my new place.

I said it takes two months of being on my own to miss people. Two days of people to miss being alone. Depends on your personality desu.

You always make more friends in classes where you have no friends than when ya do.

The only reason i require a companion now is because i have a gimp ankle. Its just for the safety factor. Probably be fucked if i go on my own but that is life now.

If i had both my feet back i would hop on a train to a plain to wherever tomorrow. The whole point of travelling is to escape from the familiarity of life.
>>
>>1184717
>after not making lasting connections
Seriously?

Bud join the army or do some volunteer work with an non-profit org.

I suppose it's possible, but most can't and to be honest don't want to form lasting relationships with random travelers they meet on vacations.

Using that site Meetups might also be a way to find fellow travelers, but you'll have the same sort of probs you always get when you travel with others unless it's a very specific tailored group.
>>
>>1181020
I get it man
>>
>>1183721
you've known the guy for 15 years, you should know. If you are willing to listen to a bunch of strangers advice on a meme blog maybe that is telling you something
>>
>>1180959
I get homesick whenever I get sick abroad.
I think it's cause it fucks with your momentum.
You end up stuck in one place, not doing much, and you start to overthink and go nuts.
If it's any consolation, having people with you hardly helps. They generally get antsy and want to do things while you're stuck moping around inside.

As soon as you can hit the road and get back to new experiences it will get good again.
>>
>>1184745

Where do you live anon? Are you in the USA? Also what happened to your ankle? Where are places you would want to travel to
>>
In a weird way, I prefer travelling alone opposed to travelling with a group, but I also like the fun being with a group of people you just met in a city you are travelling to and not worrying about what you did before. It's good to start off with a clean slate and present yourself as a new person to other people who probably won't give a shit about you after you part ways, unless either of you decides you want to stay in contact with each other
>>
File: 10trail.jpg (399KB, 1920x900px) Image search: [Google]
10trail.jpg
399KB, 1920x900px
I've done a lot of traveling alone and can say it's way better than going in a group. You get to do what you want, go where you want and not have a decision pass through a committee first to get going. It's less of a hassle getting from A to B. No waiting on certain members to be done in the morning to catch the train. You can indulge in guilty pleasures without being judged. You can be more easily accommodated at places than if you were in a group.

Every time I went traveling in a large group, like my family, has always been a pain. Everybody wants to do something else (and dont say it) or doesn't know what they want to do. So they all stand around aimlessly forever. Whenever they do decide to go somewhere it's always an ill conceived plan; where the venue is either closed, not up to scratch or any other amount of suffrage that comes with traveling being multiplied by 10.

That being said; I really do on occasion wish that when Im overlooking a flower covered valley, with pristine lakes and snow capped mountains - I could share that moment with somebody. [spoiler]He doesn't like traveling.[/spoiler]
>>
>>1184858
Ireland. Smashed it after falling down a flight of stairs. Everywhere and anywhere but i have to settle for places that have good metro systems or biking paths ha.
>>
Anyone other women here have experience traveling alone safely? I have been traveling with either tour groups or friends but now I want to try doing it alone so I have more flexibility in my plans.
>>
>>1185122
>other women

You'll be fine anywhere in Europe so long as it's not a jawa no-go zone. Canada, and Oceania are also options.
>>
>>1180949
My family's idea of traveling = never leaving the hotel and constantly watching ESPN, ignoring dinner suggestions from concierge and ordering Papa John's delivery to hotel. Can't fly over water, that's too dangerous somehow. I'm not even a Real Traveler(tm) but this kills me.
>>
>>1185122
My ex goes off on her own all the damn time, had for the past 5 or so years. Worst she's had to deal with is getting groped by an old guy on a subway afaik.
Thinking about asking her if she wants to come to Rome with me since she's the only one I've been able to travel with long term, but that would probably a disaster.
>>
>>1185122
Meh, just use common sense, and you'll be fine.
Eg. don't start hitchhiking alone.

I travel alone at least one week per year for the past ten years, the only problem I have is people seem to think I'm a mobile tourist information kiosk. I'm kind of bored of people asking me for directions all the time, when I'm travelling alone. It happens much less when I'm with friends. And it's only like 10% that's guys trying to chat me up on the pretext of, it's loads of families, couples, etc.
...even this doesn't happen cause of my gender.

Trying to think of gender-specific problems, but like... The catcalling happens more when I'm by myself, but the idgaf face makes them leave me alone.

There are benefits. It's easier to find a female-only dorm or even hotel! for cheap than to find cheap places to stay for guys. Also for us it's easy mode when it comes to couchsurfing, too. Next to catcalling -- the locals can get very protective if you see you're a woman traveling alone. I don't know if guys get that sort of treatment often.

tl;dr you'll be fine
>>
>>1185122
"Around blacks, don't relax."
>>
>>1184782
It's totally possible, I've made friends with several people I've seen again and will see again while travelling.
>>
File: 1476235561359.png (5MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1476235561359.png
5MB, 2560x1440px
Do it alone for the ultimate spiritual experience, you get to know yourself better and can manage your time any way you want, that is really important for me because I like making decisions on a whim
>>
When you travel alone, you can do what you really want instead of doing also what the group\other person want
Unless, you travel with likeminded people but that is very rare
Or maybe you want to immerse yourself in the country, you wanna feel like a traveler without having people you already know in your face
>>
>>1180945
Agree with this. My best travelling experiences have been when I've met (sometimes randomly) people from home I barely know - friends of friends, people from the same area etc.

There's common ground and outlooks but no pressure to follow each other.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.