[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Traveling extra extra-light

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

Lots of people stuff the everloving shit out of their suitcases when they go on a vacation. Even people who pack light still end up taking a lot of shit with them; a lot of packing "light" videos I've seen on YouTube are just people managing to fit everything into a carry-on. Still a pretty neat idea, I guess, as you won't have to carry a suitcase.

But packing "extra" light. Now this is an idea that fascinates me.

Say that you're going somewhere, for example China. Instead of packing your suitcase to the brim, you just take a small backpack (or "daypack") with you. Inside this bag is next to nothing. A single change of clothes, perhaps.

But you're staying in China for at least several days. What do you do? You rotate between the clothes you wore to the flight and the clothes in your bag, washing the ones you're not using. Hell, you could even buy clothes while you're there, and they might even be inexpensive.

What about toiletries? Soap and shampoo provided by your hotel. Not staying at a hotel? You go to the convenience store and buy what you need; it can't be too expensive in certain countries. Then when you're done, you throw it all away, and suffer minimal loss. Not bringing toiletries at the beginning could even save you some hassle, as there often are regulations on how much liquid you can bring to a flight. Don't worry about quantities of liquids by not bringing liquids at all, just buy your shampoo, bodywash & toothpaste when you arrive.

I've thought about doing something like this. I think it can add a nice challenging twist to my travels.

Have any of you done anything like this before? If so, where were you going, and how long did you stay?
>>
>>1179048
>Tfw when I was younger parents would write a "list"
>List included all sorts of shit I'd never need
>Often I'd forget something vital like an extra shirt or a belt because I was trying to fit in a spare hat and extra sunscreen or some shit (for an overcast area)

I'm pretty interested in this thread.

I've found that when staying overnight at a place, you can get by with a spare change of underwear, a spare change of clothes, a jacket/jumper and a towel, plus a small toiletries bag. All together they should be easy to carry pretty much wherever.

Add in travel shit like passports, and you're good to go.

Another thing I've found is that if you're wearing a jacket with pockets, you can stash shit in there, which helps if it's minor shit that isn't too important (pack of tissues, gum, etc)
>>
File: Antler-cabin-bag-_1.jpg (17KB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
Antler-cabin-bag-_1.jpg
17KB, 400x225px
>>1179048
i once took up a girl's offer of joining her on the Pilrimage of santiago in spain while i was in madrid. I just dropped off my huge suitcase at a bus depot and took my cabin bag with 1 extra shirt, my huge plastic poncho, and 2 pairs of boxers and socks. Was supposed to take 5 days from where we where but it ended up being a full month until I got back to that bus stop. After we had finished the walk I realised I couldn't get a ticket back to England (where i was based at the time) so I just hung around Saintiago de compostella for weeks having adventures and meeting other pilgrims who were passing through. I lived in an albergue just outside of the city. The dude who run it was a total bro and let me stay way longer than he should have. I washed my clothes properly once by just wearing my poncho while waiting in the laundromat. Travelling light was the point at which i changed my whole philosophy of travel. from that point i tried to carry very little. Pic related was my cabin bag
>>
>>1179048
There's a level of mental illness with how "light" some people pack. Know that.

Everyone has their preferred routine, and yes, budget level, and they tend to stick with it. Shoes take up the most room. If you live in, say, doc martens, good for you and your all purpose shoes with a stitch of comfort, but enjoy your foot fungus from that single walk from the shower to your bedside. The other issue with light travel is medications/toiletries that aren't accessible easily overseas. It's never been a problem to use provided shampoo and soap, or buying something local and then throwing it away, but it doesn't work if you change hotels every day as well, or if you actually use products that require prescriptions, products free from allergens,from cold medicine to cosmetics that keep your skin happy.

I don't need to carry all my earthly belongings on my back. I use a 4 wheeled bag, which would work anywhere because I don't mind springing for a taxi, or staying someone that is better than 2 stars with an elevator. It's minutes of my day to deal with it, and it holds more belongings during winter travel. Maybe you only travel somewhere with ideal weather all of the time and don't dress up for arts events or fine dinners. I do.
>>
>>1179048
I used to do a lot of backpacking. It's a very cool feeling to know that you have everything you need right on your back. A friend of mine just did the Appalachian Trail this summer. Something like 6 months long. He packed a bag and stopped for food along the way. You don't need much, unless for some reason you want to show off a new outfit every single day.
>>
File: innawoodspack.jpg (802KB, 2000x1339px) Image search: [Google]
innawoodspack.jpg
802KB, 2000x1339px
>>1179048
It always amuses me when I see people travelling with backpacks that could compete with this innawoods one but travelling light is a trade-off.

7 pairs of pants and undershirts means you have to do your washing once a week. Taking 1 pair means you have to do the washing every day or buy new ones every day. Either way it's either a waste of time or money. You have to decide what you value more on your holiday. Travelling light is not a free lunch. Same process for anything else you're thinking of bringing - think about what impact that will have if you leave it behind.

Of course this doesn't mean there aren't things that you can save on (time-wise, not money-wise). Here's a bunch of things I've worked out over the years:

microfibre towel,

buy a mini plastic bottle - 100ml soap is all you need when you don't have time to shop - buy more locally and top-up,

spare trousers and shirt made of a thin synthetic mix (rolls up tiny and weighs nothing),

UA undershirts and pants roll up tiny and take up little space,

no spare shoes (take synthetic flip-flops for indoors),

drybags (google it),

no extra bags/backpacks etc. (use one backpack, take out and store the drybags if you need to change to day-trip loadout),

don't take down anything, use layers (including layering gloves), take one waterproof shell with no inner layer - just the goretex shell, in fact the competing materials are thinner so maybe give them a go if you're not going to Wales

Every time you come back home take each item out and make a note: have I used this item, can I use a substitute.

I can now get in under 10kg and only have to do laundry once a week. Of course then I have to add tons of lenses :D which defeats the whole exercise and I have to take a 60L backpack anyway.
>>
>>1179180
>7 pairs of pants and undershirts means you have to do your washing once a week
>implying
>>
>>1179180
>drybags (google it),
>no extra bags/backpacks etc. (use one backpack, take out and store the drybags if you need to change to day-trip loadout),

Have you tried using a small drawstring bag? They fold up very small or can take the place of a drybag for some items, and work great for a small day bag.
>>
>>1179186
What do you want to use the "drawstring bag" for? If it's waterproof than it's a drybag, if it's not then what is the point? You still have to place it inside a drybag. Not sure I get your meaning. As for folding - drybags fold to nothing but the buckle, they are paper thin.
>>
>>1179180
>no extra bags/backpacks etc. (use one backpack, take out and store the drybags if you need to change to day-trip loadout),

Seems like an unnecessary hassle, my day pack compacts itself to the size of a baseball pretty much and is plenty big enough to carry anything I need for a day in the town. Taking my bigger bag would be overkill and heavier for no real reason. I really don't see any any advantage in your system.
>>
>>1179195
If your day bag folds into a baseball then it has no padding and no frame which makes it uncomfortable for anything but the lightest of loads at which point just use your pockets maybe?

May I have a link to your daybag, please?
>>
File: centurio45.jpg (14KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
centurio45.jpg
14KB, 400x400px
>>1179195
BTW, this is my main bag. It's Centurio 45. The it has a chimney so you can load it up when travelling between places and if you take out the dry bags the chimney contracts and it looks like a 20L backpack.
>>
>>1179198
>then it has no padding and no frame

Not needed for a daypack, at least in the way I travel since I put next to nothing in there. I take a bottle of water and maybe a coat, though more often than not I won't have that either. Obviously the ideal situation is not having the daypack either, but if I need one for whatever reason I won't need a massive amount of space.

As I said my bigger bag (while not exactly huge either, similar size or perhaps slightly smaller than yours) is total overkill for this and it saves me messing around putting things in and out of drybags as your system suggests.

They don't seem to make mine anymore but this is very much in the same vein.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009T17T96/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
>>
>>1179203
OK, we just have different strategies - possibly because we have different needs. I need a proper backpack as my day pack since I have to carry ~5kg of photography equipment, plus food and water if hiking outdoors ~1.5kg. Without a frame this would be uncomfortable (and unsafe).
>>
File: 20161019_205707.jpg (2MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20161019_205707.jpg
2MB, 4128x2322px
I fly a lot with Ryanair for 3-6 day long trips and usually only take a backpack with me.

For all intents and purposes, let's say I'm on a 5 day trip. I wear the same pair of clothes the day I fly in and on the next first full day. I'll also wear another pair of clothes my last full day and also on the day I fly out. That leaves me with needing 3 changes of clothes. I'll usually bring a dark pair of jeans and a normal pair of jeans so only 2 pairs of pants required. I shower at night so the next day's shirt and underwear plus some gym shorts will be my pajamas. If it's mildly cold I'll wear the same jacket/coat so it won't ever be packed.

Now that shirts, socks, underwear, pants, and pajamas are covered let's move onto cosmetics. I'm a bit of a hygene freak so I bring more than needed. I take a hair brush, mouth retainers, toothbrush and toothpaste, moisturizer (I have super dry skin after I wash), nailbrush, razor, face wash, travel size head and shoulders, 2 face rags, and a towel. I had a bad experience with dirty and smelly towels once before and sometimes you are required to rent towels so now I just bring one just in case.

After clothes and cosmetics are done, I look at what else I need for travel and what else are my safety net materials. I bring my phone, keys, wallet, passports, charger, earplugs, sleeping mask, ibuprofen, tissues, pack of gum, watch, headphones, spork, and a lock.

All of this fits lightly into a normal sized backpack and still leaves me with plenty of room. It's small enough for a carry on and light enough to be carried throughout the day. I'm sure I might have left out a few things but whatever.. if I can't think of it now it must not be that important.

>tfw just got done five minutes ago from unpacking my bags after a 5 day trip to the Alps
>>
I spent two weeks in Germany with a 30 litre pack, it worked but I don't think I would do it like that again.

I didn't even have room for a raincoat or flip flops once I got a weeks worth of underwear, a change of clothes, some shirts and my camera/chargers/water/books in there.
>>
>>1179184
One pair of pants can last me a whole week.

And that's not for traveling. I mean everyday living in my home country. But then again, I work in a blue-collar industry and nobody here judges you for being dirty.
>>
>>1179048
I started to do this when I used Air Asia profusely. They had a limitation on bags over 7kg.

Usually, that's how it went in my backpack, a normal run of the mill like the one on your pic.

> toiletry set (shampoo and toothpaste <100ml) - I used soap from hostels/hotels generally

> a small medication pouch with basic things (pills against the shits and stomachaches, anti-fever stuff, bandages, some antiseptic) : it was smaller than my fist

> 3 changes of underwears/socks however long I go (not counting the one I wear)
One very neat way to skimp on underwear is to clean them while you take a shower in the evening, and then let it dry on the AC/fan what have you during the night.

> 1 shirt and 1 t-shirt (not counting the one I wear)

> 1 pair of shorts and eventually 1 pair of trousers (not counting the one I wear)

> 1 pair of swim shorts

BTW, Don't fold your clothes, roll them, it saves a lot of space.

> a cap of some sort

> 1 fast-dry microfiber towel

> some sort of shawl

> sun screen

> some ziploc bags, because you always need shit

> 1 bag for dirty clothes

> my camera (a bridge, not extra big)

> chargers (phone, camera)

> 2 pens and my passport/documentation

> Eventually flip flops.

It remained very light (<5 kg) and I could take souvenirs most of the time with the extra room.

This bag had no frame because I used it as a day bag when I was going a longer trip. I needed it to be able to be rolled to fit neatly in the bigger bag.

However, this set is good for hot weather. If I go to a colder place, I need to fit in a jacket and shit like that, I go slightly over 7-8kg for the warm stuff and throw in a day bag usually.
>>
>>1179374
Forgetting to mention a lock, which is very useful in hostels.

Also, this requires to wash your clothes pretty frequently (underwear everything, and your shirt/tshirt of the day + trousers eventually), so take clothes that dries fast.
You can always wear them a little damp so they dry on you but that's not a nice feeling.
>>
>>1179178
This
>>
>>1179180
That shit looks almost exactly like my old military A.L.I.C.E. pack
>>
>>1179380
Nevermind, I just read the name. I read the pic title and post first and saw it just "Innnawoods" pack. Back in boot camp had to hike for miles with 80+ puns in that mother fucker. We have upgraded to newer stuff that holds even more, but would look ridiculous on your back, as a civilian especially.
>>
>>1179382
This a lot like our current bag, though we wear it higher on our backs, where the top of the bag would be at your head or higher. Still looks ridiculous on a civilian for me. Too damn large. MOST military dudes don't even appreciate all the useless stuff we have to put in that motherfucker>>1179200
>>
>>1179178 is quite spot on, especially on the special products one might need.

It depends on the kinds of travel too.

When I travel for work where I need suits and dress shoes, I go for the 4 wheeled, more sturdy, you can neatly pack it and it doesn't mess up your clothes. I'll also takes taxis and stay at nicer hotels since it's on company money.

But on my personal travels, I switch to a small backpack because I don't need well ironed clothes, I stay in hostels and I don't want to sacrifice my mobility for the sturdiness of my bag.

To each his own, really.

> feet fungus
Are you especially prone to it ? I almost always go barefoot in hostels, even in shared showers and never got anything. But from your private bathroom to your bedside, catching something ? Man, that's unlikely or you're in some filthy whore hotel or something.
>>
>>1179203
I think the dry bags probably come from this guy being in the military? With both old ALICE pack and the new pack that looks like >>1179200
we are issued what we call water proofing (wp/willie peter) bags. The new ones that come with the brown bag or vacuum bags, so anything you put in them you squeeze the air out, saving space. Same concept as the plastic vaccum/travel bags travel use, though they are billed as water proofing, not space saving. Back in the day you'd put the stuff you wanted to water proof in ziploc bags and it would also help your pack float. They only gave e you one WP bag back in the day, and it wasn't vaccum sealed. the ziploc bags also made your stuff easier to find
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.