[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Living in a Shaolin Monastery

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: zen.jpg (822KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
zen.jpg
822KB, 1600x900px
Hi, does anyone have any advice on staying in a legitimate Shaolin Temple?

I am not looking for a tourist attraction where I can see a martial arts demonstration, I would prefer something serious where I could stay and train in the ways of the monks for a period of 1-6 months. Something where I would have to leave behind all worldly possessions and previous ties while I stayed there.

Is there anything like this out there?
>>
>>1178060
Have you tried the Kame House?
>>
>>1178060
>Something where I would have to leave behind all worldly possessions
Maybe you could make a big donation to them, in exchange for what is the equivalent of tourism/college education/room and board. Start with that. Make some offers. Maybe you should learn their local language too, and not expect them to translate.
>>
>>1178060
Doctor Strangr went to a place in Nepal and they taught him some pretty cool stuff.
>>
>>1178060
I met a Belgian guy in China who was traveling around looking such a thing. Let me recount what he told me. He was a bit on the nutjob side, so a few things might be off.

1- you'll have to learn Chinese no matter what. It's OK if you speak a little (like 3 months studying locally level), you'll learn fluency once there.

2- shit is expensive for foreigners (I remember something like 3 000 euros per year for tuition and it goes up indefinitely). Many schools are kinda for show and grab money from non-Chinese.

3- don't expect movie-like schools. Many are now for profit or at least are marketed in some way or another. It's a business. So expect more massive amount of students, industrial training and fairly dull atmostphere.
But people won't be cut off of the world, everyone will have computer/smartphones and remain connected to the outside world.

4- it takes a toll on you. The training is excruciatingly hard.

5- it takes time. If you want to go <6 months, it means you'll have to bail mid-year. Obviously it's doable.

6- most teach wushu, kungfu ain't a traditional martial art.

I lost track of him when he went to Taiwan to find a school. Apparently, they are a bit more decent and less business-like there. Try to do some research in that direction.
>>
>>1178299

Maybe the more wild parts of china have more traditional schools, like west or central china.

I doubt taiwan will have anything.
>>
>>1178060
Dude don't.
Shaolin's between Zhengzhou and Luoyang.
2 shitholes in Henan, the armpit of China.
Shaolin's a forprofit company.
The actual martial arts schools are in the drive up the mountain.
>>
>>1179695
well then where and how exactly do i find them, not op just asking because i was interested in this for a long time but i didn't go for it because anything i find online looks like tourist traps for weebs
>>
>>1180510
You need to get on the ground and talk to locals. You're going to have to speak chinese, and be willing to travel long ways. There are very small monasteries with only a few dozen students all over the mountains. Obviously, you can't expect any of them to accept you, some may want money, some won't. Make sure you're physically fit before you show up. Be sure to shitpost from the monastery if you actually make it in.
>>
>>1178060
>legitimate
>Shaolin Temple

pick one

nothing is legitimate after the cultural revolution

you want legitamate ? fly to hong kong, join the triads
>>
>>1180599
okay dubs, but there have to be at least a couple of monasteries where there are oldfags living like they are stuck in the year 1000. i mean you see these types of settlements in every country, even in small ones, and chine is pretty fucking big
>>
>>1180605
>>1180605
nope everything is state owned
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_Administration_for_Religious_Affairs

but go ahead and support communism naive white man

every real shaolin temple was already burnt to ashes in the dynastic era plenty of farm land still stuck in third world conditions in china none of them have the eastern mysticism b.s. you're looking for

only lineage of the shaolin that has any sort of legitimacy are the hong kong triads so go there they take rich white people money too lol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiandihui
>>
>>1180623
anything else traditional in thailand, maybe indonesie, thailand or japan

i read something about traditinal karate in okinawa
>>
>>1178060
you might as well start training and sparring in any non-meme martial art club nearby, and meditate and shit in your down time. if you wanted to be away just book a trip to a cabin in your country stay there and train and meditate, if you don't know how bring books about the subject.

if you do want to spend money to travel and train check out thailand and muay thai camps, wile muay thai is not as meme-tier as modern (((kung fu))) and actually useful, you could learn that shit easily at home
>>
Join a martial arts academy where you live. If you are not chinese, you will experience the Disney World of Shaolin Temples.
>>
>>1178060
that photo looks like zhangjiajie national park, i would highly recommend it. there are some new hostels inside the (huge) park, too, don't bother with the hotels outside.
it actually has a lot of places where the masses of tourists don't bother to go, so you can just sit and watch the mountains. also a good place for training with all the thousands of stairs all over the mountains.
they really tried hard to kill all sorts of religion in the mainland, and they succeeded, but you can still go, just don't expect monks and all. i did see a few monks, but like...they were probably just random office workers dressed as monks, really.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.