[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to buy a van (for small accomadations in the back) to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

File: living van.jpg (7MB, 4592x3056px) Image search: [Google]
living van.jpg
7MB, 4592x3056px
I want to buy a van (for small accomadations in the back) to begin living in and travelling and to get away from an abusive family, how do I go about doing this with only $3,000 to spare? I need help guys real bad
>>
>>1177505

Theres a vandweller page on reddit with lots of advice
>>
>>1177505
im doing exactly the same

what do you have untill now?
>>
>>1177505
OP, you can't buy any decent used car whatsoever for under $8k, of any type. Trucks and vans are more in demand because of the ability to haul shit, so blue collar values them and keeps their resell value higher.
>>
>>1177712
>OP, you can't buy any decent used car whatsoever for under $8k, of any type.

Where is this a thing? I'm Australian and I bought my car for $4000 two years ago, still running. Hell, you can buy better cars for less that are twice as old.
>>
>>1177505
I wouldn't listen to the anon saying that you can't get a decent car for 3k

Consider buying a used ambulance at auction(srs) the pros are that they're already ventilated and insulated(look on youtube for people using these as RVs); you'll have to scrupulously scrub down everything with bleach though if you go this route. Crazy shit happens in ambulances and things like hepatitis can linger. Also you'll have to peel the stickers off if you don't want to attract undue attention. Stealth is a big factor in choosing a vehicle and many walmarts will have "no RVs or trucks" signs so it may be best to sprint for a more traditional van. *but* like I said there are people doing this on youtube. I'd look them up and reach out to them and ask for tips, would they go with an ambulance again, etc.?

If you're going down the van route I'd consider the westfalia as well as sprinter type vans. A mercedes sprinter will probably be out of your price range but you could probably find a dodge at auction(though probably not quite as low as 3k) the advantage of these is that you can stand up in them. Disadvantage being that they have a higher center of gravity, are typically more costly, and I've heard anecdotally that they're a bit less sturdy than some other cargo van models(econoline, express).

In the realm of traditional cargo vans I'd recommend the chevy express over the ford econoline as it has a better turn radius and more horsepower. I'd also recommend to go with diesel as you'll be able to use used vegetable oil as fuel provided you filter it(srs again). Also the gas mileage is better.

I'd seriously consider the ambulance as it's already insulated and furnished with a lot of what you'll need but really all you'll need to move into the van is a good sleeping bag(sub 0 temperature sleeping bags can be had at military surplus stores for reasonable prices).

Look for cars at auction and look on youtube for ideas. Reach out and ask questions. Most people are responsive
>>
>>1178525
also be on the lookout for van liquidations. sometimes companies will liquidate their fleet of vans and sell them at cheaper prices. good luck
>>
>>1177505

What country are you from?
>>
>>1177505

that sounds like a hasty irrational choice, ask yourself do you really want to live like a trail trash hobo?
>>
>>1177712
>OP, you can't buy any decent used car whatsoever for under $8k

I donĀ“t know where you live but this is just plain wrong.
>>
>>1178544
dude there are plenty of people living well in vans. type in "van conversion" on youtube
>>
>>1178591

plenty of people aka plenty of hipsters and trail trash

if you live in a van you're automatically trash status
>>
>>1178592
not everyone is as judgmental as you man. people will often put solar panels, stoves, showers, etc. in their vans or use a nationwide gym membership for showers. It offers the ability to travel and a lot of freedom. Someone choosing a different lifestyle than your own doesn't automatically make them trash
>>
>>1178592
rebublican pls go
>>
I lived in my car and travelled around for a while. Best thing I ever did.

Vans can often be more expensive than other options. I had a hatchback and I loved it. It was super cozy and got great gas mileage. I have a friend who got a camper shell for his little Toyota truck and made a plywood bed and shelves. He lives in a hatchback/minivan hybrid now.

I've thought about selling my hatchback for 3k or so so it's definitely possible. You might need a little more though. I left with 1500$ and went a few thousand miles for a few months then I got a job somewhere. People love my stories and I went from anxious retard to guy who did something cool with his life.

One resource which was incredible is Freecampsites.net if you don't want to stay in the city. I wish I was out there now sleeping in some strange place in my hatchback. Best of luck.
>>
>>1177505

Keep up with vandwellers on reddit. I don't know where you are, but I'm in LA, they are voting on prohibiting living in your vehicle from 10 pm to 6 am, also a lot of height and width restrictions, such as over 7' in a lot of places are already restricted from 10 to 6 am.

I note a lot of the vagabond rv'ers in LA selling their rigs as LAPD seems to have declared war on them in Venice and Inglewood
>>
>>1179025
I'm not the guy you're replying to but please keep you're filthy American politics to yourselves please. This is a travel board
>>
>>1179078
fucking pigs
>>
I am heading to baja this winter.
Should be able to camp on the beach for free and live off rice beans and fresh fish till spring
Life inna van can be pretty sweet if you do it right.
>>
>>1177505
>>1177530

reddit.com/r/vandwellers/

This is a great community that would be happy to answer your questions.

Depending on what you're trying to do, it can be really cheap or quite expensive. If you want to travel a lot in a van like the one in your picture, then you will be spending a lot on gas and potentially a lot on maintenance/repairs.

You can get a van for $1500 and make it comfy enough to live in for $100. I don't know where you are, but depending on the location you could just find a few spots to rotate between and live there.

I'm only part time in my truck but it's super easy in the SF Bay Area. Weather's not a problem at all, no one cares (except in some nice towns of course) and when you take out rent the cost of living is fine for how much jobs pay.

A lot of people will discourage you but it could be the perfect solution for your predicament.
>>
File: image.jpg (22KB, 159x144px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22KB, 159x144px
>>1177505
California is great for this lifestyle. I live in Oakland and I see people boondocking and urban camping all the time. A Chevrolet that's about 15 years old will run you about $4500 or so. Depending on the mileage. Save some more money. Check the Vanlife hashtag on Instagram. Great ideas there. Also YouTube. Good luck.
>>
>reduce possessions
>buy van
>register/insure van
>put shit in van
>put sleeping gear in van
>???

>>1179045

Nice man. I bought my minivan and am trying to find someone to take over my lease (last one flaked on me, turned out good because the paperwork and shit took longer than I thought due to being a lazy shitbag.)

Right now I'm taking a break from reducing my number of possessions. I was already the semi minimalist type but when you're talking about living in a fucking minivan you need to be on another level. So I'm purging right now. I have suits for work, don't know if I should fold them or find a hanging method.

I have: heat-blocking window film, 35% shade tint (vehicle already shaded it turns out), reflectix (going to make a black foamboad-reflectix sandwich for window blocking, foamside out in winter and reflectix side out in summer), cardboard and cushioning materials, foam pad for stuff side and yoga mat + mattress foamtopper in a duvet cover for bedside, one of those organizer panels to hang on the back of the front seat, extra blankets (gets in teens here in winter). I put the 3rd row down, removed the 2nd row completely so I have the stow space as a hidden compartment. Turns out they also function as a coldsink. I have a japanese mattress that folds in 1/2 or 1/3, more space in daytime. Since I will have my bike in there I reserved a long narrow box that will fit over it so no one gets the idea to smash my window. Not sure what for curtains or how to rig them.

I couldn't afford both rent and a vehicle, but I need a vehicle to /out/ and /trv/, so fuck the apartment. Eventually want to get online work and wander.

>>1179078

>pigs can't stop nigs from nigging
>have time to harass poor people

>>1178544

Nah, let me work two jobs and grind myself into the dirt to afford rent just to impress some asshole on the internet.

>>1177712

Mine was 3400. Probably paid too much but it's in fantastic condition and was well maintained.
>>
>>1179976

Additional:

>you need to ventilate it to prevent mildew
>you need a mail address to use, "digital nomad" style
>powerbanks, second batteries
>can get fancy with solar panels, inverters, generators, and camp stoves, but why bother
>insulate that bitch
>"stealth", don't get the pigs called on you
>don't look like a van pedo. shave and bathe.
>do. not. tell. anyone. Not friends, not family. Don't brag about doing illegal shit (except as anon)
>get on your bike and scout your area for good parking spots. get 10-15 spots minimum. move the van every 2 or 3 days, or more often.
>save enough money as soon as possible to cover repair costs or a replacement van so you don't get in an accident and end up homeless
>do not make noise or emit light while in the van. read: pigs
>don't move around too much, read: pigs
>pay attention to parking laws, you don't want to get das boot on your home.
>in after dark, out before sunrise. if you sleep in until noon and people see you get out of the van in your jammies, again, pigs
>seriously get rid of most of your stuff, except warm clothes, buy more warm gear nigger
>cardboard has an r value of 3-4 and is free.
>heaters and stoves emit carbon monoxide, don't let someone find you dead in your van from running a heater without ventilation
>"boondocking"
>when in doubt, park where rigs or rvs park
>use resources meant for "fulltimers" in RVs and for truckers as applicable
>don't forget where you parked your fucking van
>don't drive it too much, you'll end up homeless faster from wear n tear
>regular maintenance from a guy who actually knows what he is doing
>if the van doesn't have a car alarm, get one
>>
>>1179078
Is this serious? How is this even legal?
>>
>>1180124

It's in the supreme(?) court right now actually, for unfair discrimination against the poor. So basically these NIMBY rich-cat fuckwits are about to have a lawbook slammed into their teeth and the vandwellers shall parade in the streets.

>block any new housing tower development to protect muh property values
>cause rent to skyrocket and mass housing shortages
>be mad when poor people want to live in their vehicle

Homeowners are greedy kikes. Probably the same hypocrites who did vanlife back in the hippy era.
>>
>>1179188

I was friends with an old dude was 68, I always thought he was 50 he was in good health, lived in his car. Cops tapped on his window, sir, its illegal to live in your car in this city. Cop tells him its legal to sleep on the sidewalk!
>>
>>1177505
Buy a decommissioned school bus.

Seriously, you can get some of them for as low as $1500 USD and all you need to do is strip them of their seats for a giant spaced mobile home.
>>
>>1180699
I'd imagine you'd have to spend a fuckton of money to get it insulated and generally livable though. Also not the nicest thing to drive around
>>
>>1180699
I dunno about the states but most countries require a special drivers license to drive vehicles above a certain size. You need specific training, at least here in Straya.
>>
in addition to reddit, the articles and forums at this site are really useful. http://www.cheaprvliving.com/
>>
File: mms_img1325030835.jpg (54KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
mms_img1325030835.jpg
54KB, 960x540px
Consider a cube van. You can get an older one relatively cheap, and it offers 100% stealth while being able to fit a couch bed and other useful stuff you might need. You can park them pretty much anywhere and nobody is going to say shit. Ultra stealth mode for the advanced hobo lifestyle.
>>
>>1181289
Your post is good, let me say that first.

But I have to say something about that pic. Of all the useful stuff the driver could have put there : drawers, some kind of small fridge, a chest or something to dry your clothes.
He. Put. A. Fucking. COUCH.

There is literally a bed next to it. Why o why would you need a couch to potato in ?

Also
>mms
>>
Van was used to move persons stuff after he ditched his apt, hence why couch is in that shot. I believe he swapped it out with a bike and a dresser later. Guy works where meals are provided and makes a substantial amount of money and food is provided, so he doesnt have to cook for himself, and showers at gym. Not sure what he does about clothes.

If i were to build one up for myself, i wouldn't bother rigging up a fridge and would just stick to fresh fruits, non perishables, sandwhiches and takeout while in town, and bbq while in country. Otherwise you have to do a LOT of fucking around, and you may as well just buy a damn motorhome (may include couch.)

Longest stint for me was 3 months in a van in Australia (easy mode.) Would have been nice to have a comfy couch.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.