[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you guys handle money overseas? Is there a travel card

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: BNB-Com Bank Travel Card.jpg.jpg (68KB, 449x290px) Image search: [Google]
BNB-Com Bank Travel Card.jpg.jpg
68KB, 449x290px
How do you guys handle money overseas?

Is there a travel card company that you recommend? I don't have a fucking clue where to start (yes I have googled a little but would like your opinions)

Thanks.
>>
You can call your bank and get a preloaded debt card separate your usual one that you can refill but doesn't connect to your account so if someone steals it you're only out the preloaded amount at most.
>>
>>1175559
Go to Google ---> "Charles Schwab no fee ATM card" + "No foreign transaction fee no annual fee credit card"
>>
>>1175559
No foreign transaction fee credit card for places that take credit cards (even the freaking capital one quicksilver fits this bill, though there are far better cards as far as what they give back to you for using them) and this >>1175575
A thousand fucking times this >>1175575
Never pay an ATM fee again.
>>
>>1175575
do they actually reimburse you for the fee the ATM owner puts? For example, if I withdraw 100$ in Cambodia, it is going to add 4$ on its side, and the withdraw amount will appear as 104$ on my statement; all fees from my bank will be on top of that. Would that Schwab thing reimburse 4$ or would it just not charge any extra?
>>
>>1175984
Yes. At the end of your statement you would get a credit for that $4 and any other fees charged while withdrawing from an ATM.
>>
>>1176213
That seems too good to be true.
>>
>>1176215
It is true. The only real downsides to Schwab is almost no brick and mortar branches, and a low interest rate for both their savings and checking accounts. For most people, they are online only banks and the only way to withdraw money is by ATM. When you use the Schwab ATM card at an ATM, the ATM sends the amount withdrawn, the relevant fees (both owner/network and foreign transaction), and Schwab gets that information and reimburses you for those charges at the end of each month.
>>
>>1175575
>Go to Google ---> "Charles Schwab no fee ATM card" + "No foreign transaction fee no annual fee credit card"
This. It's like an online checking account you get as secondary to opening a brokerage account. Though Schwab treats it as an online banking kind of thing for people not seeing their broker, you could conceivably go in a local Schwab office to handle something official like a check problem in person, see a notary, but it's truly an online bank most of all. There is a min balance which isn't as high as it used to be, but there's no requirement to actually trade or invest in the brokerage account.

ALL fees charged by an ATM is refunded. Some banks do that with a limit, like 1x/week or 1x/month, but Schwab doesn't place restrictions on you. Also, they have real human customer service. You can't beat it overseas.

Credit cards are known to have shitty transaction fees and low quality exchange rates on purchases. One way to get around that on your inferior credit card (ie bank of america), is use a booking service like europeanvacations.com as like a 1 transaction travel agency, where your hotels, train fares and such are paid in a single charge. Slightly less flexibility, but they carry some clout when your room isn't nice, and can get upgrades like a true fixer. Don't use Debit Cards, even prepaid ones, if you can helps it. And, don't travel with only 1 option. Have a backup.

For actual credit cards, unless you make >$150k beyond the gold card/platinum level credit, you probably have to settle for the top 4 "best card for travel" offers you qualify to get. If you are brand loyal, I'd suggest the Skymiles AMEX, as there are quite a few other perks unrelated to Delta built in that have few competitors in the industry or airline cards, but the alliance they have is pretty broad. The other cards, capitol one, etc are similar and just as worthy.
>>
For any ausfags here - I recommend the bankwest platinum qantas credit card

If you can't get approved for that then just the citibank everyday visa debt - nil fees
>>
>>1176215
>That seems too good to be true.
It's one of the last good guys left. Gotta realize, it feeds their desire for stock broker client loyalty. The amount of money they make on that side would more than makeup for the piddly little fees they refund to you. And whale customers park serious money they get to invest and make more money.
The scary part is that there used to be other people doing exactly what Schwab does, the other brokerage checking account, also in an unlimited way, but they all stopped the unlimited aspect and put some respectable limits on it....which seems not so bad for someone who ideally shouldn't need an ATM more than once a week, but in lieu of travelers checks people used to carry, some people prefer to hit the ATM instead every other day. I outside of brokerage accounts, I think military account holder personnel still get the refund perk with other credit unions and banks internationally (this is where you really see the issues), but it's capped, not unlimited.

Check out this list. I love how it's capped at dollar amounts most of them, like $4/month they'll refund. LOL

https://consumerist.com/2008/12/22/49-banks-that-refund-all-atm-fees/
>>
>>1176238
>For actual credit cards, unless you make >$150k beyond the gold card/platinum level credit, you probably have to settle for the top 4 "best card for travel" offers you qualify to get. If you are brand loyal, I'd suggest the Skymiles AMEX, as there are quite a few other perks unrelated to Delta built in that have few competitors in the industry or airline cards, but the alliance they have is pretty broad. The other cards, capitol one, etc are similar and just as worthy.

Personally, I would go for Chase credit cards over AMEX to begin with. Currently the Chase Sapphire Reserve is the best travel card on the market, with a min spend bonus that matches the AMEX Plat's highest historical bonus, and much more flexible travel credits. I got approved for mine with 50k/year gross income and 720 credit score. Chase has a lot of useful cards for traveling, but will auto-deny you if you've been approved for more than 5 cards in the past 24 months. Best to go through theirs first and get your points balances up, then move on to AMEX and Citi.
>>
>How do you guys handle money overseas?
Poorly.
>>
>>1175559
Revolut
>>
>>1176323
I've been using this, seems decent. Worked without issue in Europe and major cities in Colombia. Tried to withdraw money in some shitty town in Colombia and failed but otherwise fine.
>>
>>1176243
is this only for US bank account hoders? seems like it from the discussion
>>
>>1175559
bump

I found it overwhelming
my local card provider had rubish exchange rates, and their "travel card" not only had the same rubish rates, but required a "pre-load" so I would be charged to convert money back as well

ATM owner fees were a killer as well, sometimes I'd get 100$ out, get charged 10$ in currency conversion and 7$ in owner fees

schwab is some jewish shit, fuck that
>>
>>1176242
Citibank card is based.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.