[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello! Me and some friends are planning a road-trip next summer.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: file-page1.jpg (596KB, 2550x3300px) Image search: [Google]
file-page1.jpg
596KB, 2550x3300px
Hello!
Me and some friends are planning a road-trip next summer. Graz to Istanbul and back.

We'll be in a VW Minibus, fully kitted out with cooking equipment and beds 2 people comfortably. We will also have a tent. For eating and sleeping we will be flexible, not relying on hostels or restaurants.
We will have as much time as is needed, I guess about 2 months, and hopefully enough money for the whole trip.
Interested in culture and and nature, so anything an everything really.

You can see the rough itinerary I bashed out. The map might be confusing. We would start in Graz, make our way to Istanbul, ferry from Turkey to Athens by ferry then drive back up to Austria.

I'm looking for:
- General road-trip advice.
- Local knowledge. If you know of somewhere along our path we MUST check out, or a place not worth going to, do let me know.

Thanks!
>>
>>1175109
you fuk wit dont go through bosnia, go through the coast road of croatia to zagreb.

ankara is a waste of your time, again do a west coast type thing for turkey, see ruins, beaches and shit.
>>
>>1175115
This, Ankara is a long drive away and not really worth it. Go see the Dardanelles, go to Turkey's Mediterranean coast.

Sarajevo is cool. So is Mostar, which is worth like an afternoon. But Sarajevo - Zagreb is a long leg of the trip, and there is hardly anything worth seeing along the way. If you've never been to the Croatian coast before, drive from Sarajevo back to Split, and then take it slowly up the coast from there. Sibenik, Trogir, Zadar, Istria, Trieste. If you really really want, you can still go to Zagreb but to be honest, I wasn't really impressed by the Hrvat capital.
>>
File: map2..jpg (609KB, 2550x3300px) Image search: [Google]
map2..jpg
609KB, 2550x3300px
Removed Ankara as you both suggested and made route along Mediterranean coast of Turkey, through Dardanelles.
I do want to see Bosnia tho. I added Mostar, thanks for the hint, and removed Sarajevo for now. I wonder why say not to go through Bosnia?
Also added Ljubiana as final stretch before Graz

Questions:
- The Varna-Sofia stretch is totally off track. Varna-Istanbul would be quicker. Is it worth driving that bit through Bulgaria to see Sofia? I love cities and especially capitals.
- Macedonia/Skopje. Worth it? Or skip it.
- Zagreb? Doing Fiume-Ljubjana would be quicker. But again i do capitals.

Thanks, input already helpful!
>>
>>1175160
ho man i was drunk monday i also forgot to add that yo ushould skip athens its honestly so crap, im assuming that you're landing there ay so just stay there for the day just to get your car and hit up the acropolis for like 2 sconds then leave.
i highly suggest you hike mt olympus. do more in greece in general. for me im a huge ancient history buff and nerd so greece was some nex level thing, like wow i read this in a 2400 year old book like fk me
>>
>>1175160
also for one thing bosnia is really dangerous, when i was there i was attacked twice at night by youth gangs really for no reason. that was sarajevo. in split, croatia i was attacked as well, but i was way younger and didnt see the obvious danger signs. just dont flash cash, mostar is fking cool,

another suggestion to save time is go from belgrade to sofia direct fk romania its all gypsys lol. i actually dont know shit about romania to be honest. i know bucharest is supposed to be a world apart from the rest of the country though. you'll see some hella road blocks too.

man australia is sweet though ay bud youll love it i really did.
if you like grafitti like street art slovenia cant spell the capital is cool as. lots of young people.

spend more time in croatia and australia cut out romania and spend less in macedonia and bulgaria.
>>
>>1175160
>>1175160
never been to macedonia still i'd say do it even just to say you didfor like 3 days or whatever.

zabreg is a fk yeah i have family there so for me it was special, its way diff from split its way more like northern europe. do it for 2 days but dont stray, austrai and czech is some top tier tour areas speciallly in winter and autumn see a hockey game for me boyo call those czech boys hosers hard out. seriously see a hohckey game in prauge that would make my day
>>
>>1175109
Stop for a day or two in Plovdiv, it's nice though I might be a bit bias since I'm from there.
>>
>>1175649
>>1175652
>>1175654
Wtf is wrong with you?
>>
>>1175649
Haha you sure you're not still drunk?
Yeah Athens for a day or two since we would arrive there with the ferry. Probably check out for a day or two, Acropolis, graffiti and maybe go out party but then get out of there.
It sounds like you know Greece quite well, you could hit me up with some sweet places in Greece?

It will be 4 of us and we are all tough lads, not too worried about youth-gangs, but I guess you can never be too sure! Will be kept in mind.

Romania is definitely happening: I have met loads of great Romanians, the nature is beautiful plus Transylvania!

I think I'll rethink Croatia like you said, get the first part of the journey done quickly then take it chill on the way back.

If I go to a hockey game, I'll dedicate it to you!

Thank you!!
>>
>>1175665
I see Plovdiv is on our way from Sofia to Istanbul, so that would be a great idea.
However the stretch from the Black Sea- Sofia and then Sofia-Istanbul, if you check my map, is quite a long.
I was considering cutting out the Sofia leg entirely to save time for this reason, but I'm not sure.. what is your opinion of Sofia and the region around it? If we end up going there, we will deffo check out Plovdiv!
Thanks for suggestion, local knowledge like this is what I was hoping for
>>
File: IMG_20160817_125809.jpg (4MB, 4160x2336px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160817_125809.jpg
4MB, 4160x2336px
You have a really nice trip planned there, have fun!

I can recommend Montenegro, stayed there for about 2,5 weeks this past summer.

Kotor is a beautiful medieval coast town, located in a bay that looks like a fjord, so it's basically Norway with palm trees and nice weather

Zabljak is a small town in the mountains, directly at Durmitor national park where you can do awesome hikes (pic related) and see the deepest canyon in Europe

You said you like capitals, skip this one. Podgorica is really not interesting at all.

Virpazar is a village at Skadarsko jezero, the largest lake on the Balkan peninsula and also the biggest bird habitat in Europe.
Since you have a car, I strongly advise you to stay at OK Koral, it's my favorite place I've ever stayed at while traveling. Say hi to Mia from Aaron.
>>
>>1175723
Well personally I think that outside of the cities there are far morebthings to see, but that's partly because I enjoy nature more. Anyway if you ask me I'd skip Varna in favour of Sofia.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.