[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Traveling and working in the US for a year

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: godblessit.jpg (15KB, 508x194px) Image search: [Google]
godblessit.jpg
15KB, 508x194px
How possible is it to do a year of work and travel akin to what you can do in Australia and the Schengen zone?

From what I can tell the only visas that would work are H-2A or H-2B for agricultural- and non-agricultural-work respectively. I this in any way similar to the australian and european ones? Which one is preferable and what does non-agricultural imply.

I am a german citizen and fluent in english so there shouldnt be a problem there. My motivation to go is that I may or may not have a year of spare time between changing university (bad timing, I know) and really dont want to stay here working minimum wage wasting away from boredom.
Im interested in the US because its more different from Europe and more diverse than Australia. Id like to spend time pretty much in every part of the country working whatever is available (preferably hostels or similar stuff but Im physically able to do most kinds of work).

So how good of an idea is that? The alternative is to work here for a couple of months and then travel through Africa or something, so Im not too set on anything at the moment.
Is the H-2(probably)B visa what Im looking for or is there another one designed for long term tourists? How hard is it to find work in different parts of the country at different times of the year?
>>
>>1174415
it's pretty hard

it's not an exaggeration to say you'd have an easier time coming here illegally and then just leeching welfare, than you would to come here to work

civil service functions are heavily localized, but local offices get federal money for each person they serve in terms of welfare. they make money by giving illegal immigrants welfare. the visa office doesn't make money either for denying or accepting immigrants, though.

so we end up with a system whereby local offices are incentivized to give benefits to literal criminals, but deny legals

everything is broken here. nothing works. literal murderers here get leniency, and then on top of it get EXTRA welfare, but taxpayers get less every year. it's why we're fucking angry.
>>
J1 Visa, just got back from a year in the states 3 weeks ago. Recommend it. Upgraded career met qt's travelled everywhere.
>>
>>1174423
Thank you for that! Hadnt heard of this visa before and it definitely sounds interesting.

I have a few questions though:
How does the sponsor thing work and which one did you have?
I see for example that one program is called "college and university student" so I guess that makes sense for me but really it just shows me a list of universities in the US, which isnt very helpful.

Is the sponsor the place where I would work at for the entire duration of the stay?

Does it have to be exactly one year or can it be a bit less?

What kind of work can I expect to do? Could I for example do something like a working student in my field (physics)?

Do I get to travel through the entire country or is the job stationary and I can only travel during vacation?

>>1174421
Ill take it into consideration thank you! However Im not too concerned about things not working. Its what makes a country interesting after all (and as I stated in the OP my alternative would probably be travelling through Africa so thats how much I care for infrastructure to work or administrations to make sense...)

Though entering the US illegally is actually an interesting thought. Do you know of anyone who has crossed the border from Mexico or Canada (I think a working visa is fairly easy there) illegally for touristic reasons? Not saying I would actually do it but thatd definitely be something worth telling a tale about...
How would I apply for welfare as an illegal immigrant? Does it work with bribes or do they literally just take their bonus and give me whatever since its not directly their money thats being spent? I honstely am not a huge fan of living off of welfare myself but I am all for abusing dumb systems!
>>
>>1174427

two types of J1 I think:
all depends on the country.

Im aussie so we can do it up to a year post graduation.

but basically the sponsor is the company in the usa that handles all of your visa requirements on the other end. it will be on a country by country basis who you get but from my understanding it's not a big deal.

cant speak of college exchange, as it wasn't what I did.

Regarding work - you can do basically anything.
Started off working at starbucks, then got a gig doing pizza deliveries in sf, then got a job in digital marketing that ive kept

I travelled everywhere. spent a lot of the time camping in the national parks with qts on road trips. 10/10 experience cool country go get it my friend.
>>
>>1174428
What does the sponsor get out of helping me if I can work for anybody I want though? Also how did you contact them?

Also how much did you work in total compared to free time travelling? About how much net did you spend on the entire trip minus flights?

Your trip sounds absolutely amazing! Almost nobody I got to know so far has travelled the US so I have to wonder how the tourist situation is like?How does it compare to Europe in regards to the amount of travellers/ backpackers/ people on a J1? Did you stay in hostels when working or is it easy enough to find cheap appartements for only a couple weeks at a time?
>>
>>1174432
>>1174432

What country are you in? Like I said it all depends on your country. I know that Aus and NZ have a special pilot program running with their J1 situation so it may not be accessible for some other nationalities unfortunately.

For example I paid a company called IEN in australia like 1000 bucks, then they had the connection with another crew called IENA in the states who sorted me out with all the paperwork.

Will have to look it up, I remember it was convoluted. Give yourself 3 months or so preparation.

Overrall I didn't work too much, the most was at starbucks, but I had slogged out 6 months of dangerous labour in the pearl farms up north of australia before I left so I had some cash to live off saved up.

Tourist situation is great especially being aussie i found a lot of americans are fascinated by the accent. many people I met straight up didn't even believe I was from Australia and that I must be lying / joking etc. Haven't been to Europe so I can't compare but there were definitely far fewer hostels / backpackers than what there is here in Australia.

finding a place to stay was tricky - best bets:
airbnb
hostels
craigslist
motels

in that order. hotels / motels can be pretty dodgy got some funny stories actually.

airbnb is a blessing, met some great people.
>>
>>1174439
Im german but I sound pretty english believe it or not, so might be able to get some points there.

Whats the deal with the "sponsor" though, if you are the one who has to pay them a stupid amount of money just to get the connection. How the hell does that work?
On the website I saw something about host families though, so maybe I can get into the program this way, since I have a couple of friends living in the US.

Could you give me an estimate what kind of money you spent while travelling? I wont judge you I promise! Like how much you pay for airbnb or other accommodation in which states/ cities.

I dont really want to spend too much of my savings so being able to plan a budget at least roughly will be somewhat necessary.
Also did you ever couchsurf there? Ive had too many good experiences all over the world to not try it there.

Thanks again for all the help so far!!
>>
>>1174415
> really dont want to stay here working minimum wage wasting away from boredom.
You just perfectly described America.

>>1174421
This is utterly retarded and completely based on falsehoods with no proof to back it up. Don't listen to this butthurt Chumpcuck.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.