[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

20days in Chacago

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6

My employer will be sending me out of California to our new site in Chicago for 20days to train new hires. Everything is paid for, even food and gas.

This will be my first time flying out of California and into another state. I work 4day/10hour shifts which leaves me with Thursday-Saturday off.

What are the must sees and must to do? All I know are of a giant bean, deep dish pizza and a Chicago style hot dog.

I am 28 and don't feel like getting fired. And what should I stay away from. Thanks!
>>
South Side, I hear it's nice.
>>
>>1173342
> 28
> First time out of California.
Jesus.

Besides that very helpful comment, I have never been to Chicago and cannot help OP. Let's say that it's a free bump.
>>
File: 20151106_234348.jpg (6MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20151106_234348.jpg
6MB, 5312x2988px
Assuming you're sticking around the loop, wander around Millennium Park, see Cloud Gate and Crown Fountain, walk through Maggie Daley Park. Check out the Chicago Cultural Center, it's a pretty decent free museum. The Tiffany Dome inside there is beautiful. Out of all the museums, Art Institute and Field Museum are most worth it.

For some good (read: expensive) cocktails in that area, check out Cindy's, the rooftop bar on top of the Chicago Athletic Association Hotel. View is probably the best in the city IMO (pic related)

For some of the best "trendy" food in the city, go to Randolph Street in the West Loop. Having a burger at Au Cheval is a rite of passage, but I actually think it's a little overrated. I prefer Grange Hall Burger Bar a couple blocks west.

If you like hipster bars, go to Logan Square, Wicker Park is kinda shit nowadays desu. Check out The Whistler, Heavy Feather, or Slippery Slope right above it.

Go to Pilsen if you want the city's best Mexican food, but certain parts are still a little sketchy at night

Head to Englewood or Garfield Park if you want to get shot/score dope. Joking aside though, the Garfield Park Conservatory is totally safe so long as you get off on the green line stop and don't walk a block away in any direction. The conservatory is really great and doesn't get the patronage it should because of the area it's in.
>>
Anytime there is a thread about Chicago, why does the OP choose to use a picture of that ugly bean?

Stop trying to force it to become a city landmark. Locals hate it and laugh at the shit tourists will flock to.
>>
>>1173466
This. Fuck the bean.

I'd say take one day and go to the museums and Shedd aquarium. If you can find some shrooms, take those beforehand.

Stay North of Roosevelt.
>>
File: floating mj head.gif (156KB, 120x140px) Image search: [Google]
floating mj head.gif
156KB, 120x140px
>>1173435
>>
Make sure you check out the Navy Pier, also go to Lincoln Park (the zoo there is free). You have the Lakefront Trail and also the new 606 trail. You can get a Divvy pass (city bike sharing program) or you can just buy a cheap stolen bike from a melanin enriched gentleman to enjoy these. Do some architecture tours downtown and walk down the relatively new riverwalk park. There are some theaters in the north loop area. Some nightlife in Uptown (kinda sketchy) as well along Milwaukee Ave. The Loop is kinda dead at night. The Art Institute is a world class institution so you can probably go there multiple times and enjoy and find something new you like every visit.
>>
google timeout chicago for a nice compilation of festivals and things to do in the city

if it's not too cold bike/walk along the lakefront trail, it gives really great views of the skyline
>>
File: 1476201227436.jpg (664KB, 1400x875px) Image search: [Google]
1476201227436.jpg
664KB, 1400x875px
riverwalk
>>
File: 1476199532857.jpg (704KB, 2444x1534px) Image search: [Google]
1476199532857.jpg
704KB, 2444x1534px
soldier field/ northerly island area
>>
File: chicago2.png (169KB, 462x635px) Image search: [Google]
chicago2.png
169KB, 462x635px
stay the fuck out of everything south of pilsen and west of west town.

but check out northwestern university in evanston and university of chicago/ museum of science and industry in hyde park
>>
>>1173776
>Navy Pier
That is the exact opposite of a fun time.
>>
>>1174414
Suppose, though, that some people were to like a thing that you did not like. How shocked would you be?
>>
>>1173342
He's giving you a rental car? Get your Waze app all ready and programmed. The city is kind of intense for drivers.
>>1174170
>google timeout chicago for a nice compilation of festivals and things to do in the city
This.

Where will your employer be putting you up? What neighborhood will your jobsite be?
>>
>>1173776
>Navy Pier
Don't listen to this fuck, Navy Pier is the definition of a shitty tourist trap. Not worth your time.
>>
>>1174181
Those charts are made for and by scared /pol/ white kids who want an excuse to shitpost about niggers while staying in their basement rooms.
The overwhelming majority of those homicides are gang-related and don't happen to strangers or bystanders. Criminals usually don't want to potentially face death row or life in prison for killing someone when they could get it down to a few months for armed mugging, and if they're affiliated with a gang, they might very well get killed themselves for causing trouble with the police.
Most of those homicides are cascade killings, where someone from one gang gets in a fight with someone from another, someone gets killed and then people start taking revenge. That's why those "triple homicide" listings are meaningless - do you really think those were families or groups of friends that were gunned down on the street? Those are gang members killing gang members.
There still isn't much of a reason to go there, and you still do risk getting mugged, but saying that you have a tangible risk of getting killed there, much less a high one, is a stretch in the extreme.
>>
>>1174658
This anon knows
It is a shitty tourist trap
Still worth a look though to say you've done it and get a photo or something because it's famous an shieet

Do the river architecture tour on the boat (well worth $30 or whatever it is) then walk up to the end of Navy Pier and back down then head back in to the city.

Getting a hot dog, beer or coffee on the pier itself is a rip off.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.