[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/Mexico/ General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 7

File: aztecs40.gif (187KB, 365x525px) Image search: [Google]
aztecs40.gif
187KB, 365x525px
Alright boys I'm taking a trip to Mexico next week and I haven't done as much research as I usually do for a trip.

Doing 4 days in Mexico City, and then 4 days in Cancun. The only real plans I've made are dinner reservations at Pujol and to check out the Frida Kahlo museum.

So what are some /real traveler/ things I can do in Mexico City and some fun touristy things I can do in Cancun. Looking for recs for cool neighborhoods, good food/restaurants, worthy day trips, freaky deaky shit, whatever!

Also anyone else with Mexico questions or stories is welcome to post here as well ;)
>>
>>1173291
if you want freaky deaky shit, the trotsky museum is pretty close to the frida museum (walking distance through one of the city's nicest residential areas). the room he was assassinated in is preserved exactly as it was that day, and the overall theme is not FUCK U STALLLINNNN!!!, but more about political asylum. cool place and not well known.
>>
>>1173291
I lived in Morelos for a while but it was with rich people so I didn't get to experience the (((real traveller))) side of things, only the club scene in Cancun, DF and Cuernavaca, which I would recommend if you're into blocky Mexicanas
>>
>>1173291
There are tons of places to visit in Mexico City

Chapultepec castle, Zócalo, Soumaya Museum, etc.
>>
>>1173559
>Soumaya
You mean Carlos Slim's living room?
>>
Would it be super dangerous to bicycle through Mexico? I've taken 2 years of Spanish and I want to take it to the next level in the cheapest way possible. I'm 6'3 and /fit/ would I get kidnapped or robbed?
>>
>mexico
Enjoy waking up in an bathtub full of ice with a kidney missing because you couldn't afford to bribe a cop.

The entire country and everything south of it should be destroyed.
>>
Mexico city you can visit this places

*https://www.google.com.mx/maps/place/Bellas+Artes/@19.436412,-99.1440117,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x85d1f92ba474511f:0xe3e8aa787a136469!8m2!3d19.436407!4d-99.141823

https://www.google.com.mx/maps/place/Museo+del+Templo+Mayor/@19.4346088,-99.1340697,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x85d1f92d7281d1dd:0x8c90beca651436b0!8m2!3d19.4346038!4d-99.131881

https://www.google.com.mx/maps/place/Calle+Regina,+Centro+Hist%C3%B3rico,+Centro,+Ciudad+de+M%C3%A9xico,+D.F./@19.4275264,-99.13501,18.25z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x85d1fecdfd6c92c9:0xe647d8d2589ef9b8!8m2!3d19.4275184!4d-99.1340649

https://www.google.com.mx/maps/place/Catedral+Metropolitana+de+la+Ciudad+de+M%C3%A9xico/@19.4343992,-99.1352711,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x85d1f932c627afe1:0x914f3df027515f27!8m2!3d19.4343942!4d-99.1330824

you need visit this places, if you dont visit this you dont come to mexico city
>>
>>1174175
You have to go back to /pol/
>>
>>1174147
Undoubtedly.
>I have two years of high school Spanish
Your family would never see you again.
>>
>>1174147
you can try this, but the mexicans stopped doing so I think
http://www.rutachichimeca.org/
>>
>>1174235
you have to go back to mexico
>>
>>1174147
you'd literally get killed INEVITABLY at some point

the only safe way to get around the country is to fly

if you drive on the roads, you have to know which ones to take, and at what times of day, and at what points the gangs set up ambushes

the gangs literally control more territory than the government

you WILL die if you do this. not "probably" like, there are a half a dozen points where you're more or less guaranteed to die unless you travel in an armored caravan.
>>
>>1174422
How would I keep myself safe then?
>>
>>1174422
how do you know this

did you read vice or something
>>
>>1175456

Hello,

I know many Mexicans who avoid travel to many parts of Mexico. There's too many random killings, you just never know who you offend. Is it worth the risk?
>>
The historic center in Mexico City is a must see
>>
>>1174422
>gangs set up ambushes
>the gangs literally control more territory than the government
All lies. Why are you doing this?

>>1175363
Stay away from slums.

>>1175456
He doesn't. People doesn't get randomly killed.
>>
File: t.h.jpg (168KB, 1000x909px) Image search: [Google]
t.h.jpg
168KB, 1000x909px
>>1175624
mexico city is a very polluted air rat race. guadalajara, oaxaca are much nicer. i like the coast myself. perhaps portos escondito is a good destination if you like surfing ? screw mexico city
>>
>>1175637
>portos escondito
Puerto Escondido
>>
>>1175363
go to northern mexico otherwise known as Lost Angeles (LOST). Learn how to write and interpret gang symbols and how to carjack and rob banks
>>
>>1174147
I should add to this that I'm also really interested in the Mexican landscape and the mountains from the lower rockies. Heat wouldn't be a problem as I'm from South Texas and have lived there my entire life.

Can someone that isn't a troll recommend any routes I should take? I would likely cross into Mexico on bicycle since my town isn't far from the border. I'd probably stay away from the big cities and couch surf / camp wherever I can. Is it dangerous? I'm no dumb college tourist in search of drugs and sex
I just want to camp, climb mountains, and speak Spanish.
>>
>>1174175
we need to build a wall around /pol/ to keep stormweenies in your containment board
>>
>>1176357
the states near the border are rather dangerous, especially the area bordering Texas. I'm a Mexican, I'm not trolling.
>>
>>1173291
I´m gonna tell you the same think a tell every turist than ask me that, the cities are shitty and boring (Nothing new, the same thing of all the cities), so -in my experience- you should try to take a travel to Aguatulco, Oaxaca, There is the real Mexico, the real culture and (with the benefit that it's much cheaper) you can live a real experience... (ayahuasca, shaman's and etnic ritual's)
(My ingles is shit)
>>
File: maria sabina.jpg (22KB, 240x320px)
maria sabina.jpg
22KB, 240x320px
>>1176476
Mezcal con gusano, salvia divinorum y Maria Sabina...
>>
>>1176357
I wouldn't recommend some biking/camping tour of northern mexico. You do sound like a poor/stupid college student, no matter how you deny that. Regular/intelligent people sleep with a roof over their heads unless they are in a backcountry national park, now don't they? Of course they do.

OP, to keep yourself safest in the DF,if this is your desire, you do the touristed things because they are worth doing, the wealthy neighborhoods for cocktails and restaurant evenings, or stay in a nicer hotel. You use the transport that belongs to your hotel, not public stuff. Call for a taxi, not flag one down, or arrange for your hotel driver to pick you up at such and such time somewhere. You will see plenty of landscape going to Teotihuacan. There's a nice hotel there that you can overnight and brunch at, which allows you to see the laser light show in the evenings/have less people while you are on the ruins. The zocalo, the opera house (and the folklorico) is nice. There are amazing murals. Chapultepec is all worth seeing. Go to Guadaloupe. I think xochimilco is skippable (others disagree). Shop like a boss in some of the designer boutiques.
San Angel Inn and Fonda del Refugio are old standards of fine dining. You can't beat VIPS, Sanborns or El Porton most of the time too.

If you do not look latin, sorry, but you shouldn't be alone, do the driver. Hire a guide. Talk to your hotel, or find a famous food blogger and invite him out. Your picking up the tab on a 10 course meal is $20 for you, but like $250 to him.
>>
File: Grim_Fandango_artwork[1].jpg (130KB, 256x341px) Image search: [Google]
Grim_Fandango_artwork[1].jpg
130KB, 256x341px
how is mexico city on the day of the dead? I kind of wanted to travel somewhere in february, but would it be worth it to wait to travel to mexico to see the day of the dead? is the day of the dead in mexico city (or oaxaca city) "worth it?"

pic related: yes, i became interested in mexico partly thanks to the aesthetic of grim fandango.
>>
how safe is the street food to eat compared to that in india?
>>
>>1176493
Mexico City government introduced a Day of the Dead parade this year. It's happening tomorrow. Usually, altars are built in cultural spaces and downtown and its not all that exciting.
In Michoacan and Oaxaca, the day is more festive, I think. Small towns (Pueblos magicos) are usually really well organized and the people really put a lot of effort into decorating graveyards and building altars for the dead.
Day of the Dead is celebrated throughout Central and Southern Mexico more than in the North. Families and villages get together in graveyards and stay up all night drinking.
Besides Day of the Dead, November is a good time to visit Mexico because of the monarch butterfly migration. They usually start arriving to the sanctuary in Michoacan in October and are a really spectacular sight!
>>
>>1176620
pretty safe if you stay away from the salsas
>>
File: good post.jpg (47KB, 564x1464px) Image search: [Google]
good post.jpg
47KB, 564x1464px
>>1176675
This is a very good post.
>>
>>1176677
how am i supposed to eat my tacos with no salsas??
>>
>>1176476
Es Huatulco, pendejo "tru traveller"
>>
Look bro.... Mexico city is a shit hole... very few museums... hot polluted and nasty.... go to Oaxaca... its cheaper more Tourist oriented and more culture you can find a learn about specially more variety of foods you can try... trust me...
>>
>>1176834
>Mexico city
>very few museums
Holy shit, I can't believe I'm actually reading this. How can anyone be this stupid? Did you not do any research whatsoever?
>>
>>1176834
isn't mexico city known for having the most museums in the world?
>>
>>1176764

Bring a bottle of tapatio
>>
>>1176834
Fuck off indiotl
>>
>falling for the Mexico is dangerous meme

Sure, there's a crime problem but some of you act like the whole country is full blown ISIS tier.

In my experience, Mexican cities are perfectly safe as long as you exhibit the same common sense as you would in any large North American city.

It's just funny how Americans will completely discard the idea of travelling to Mexico but will happily consider a vacation in say, Brazil, which has a significantly higher murder rate.
>>
>>1177215
The most funny thing is that Mexico is the most visited country by Americans and Mexico is the 9th most visited country in the world, 2nd most visited country in the whole Americas and Mexico City is the most visited city in Latin America.
>>
>>1176834
>Mexico city is a shit hole... very few museums.
wrong.

The air is polluted in the dry season. Needs rain to wash it down. The city is high elevation punchbowl of a valley, and the air just never leaves, just gets more concentrated smog. But, you get used to it. If you don't blow your nose at night and it doesn't look like snot that came out of a coal mine, you haven't lived!

The museums are worth it.
>>
>>1177318
See, these statistics are skewed though.

Going to the DF is quite different than the masses who visit coastal paradise. Or the numbers customs adds up when you include day crossings, and stopping cruise ships. It's a major city, 3x the size of NYC, masses of people live there. It's amazing, but using stats to indicate overall safety is wrong.

When you're talking about crime, you need to understand that you can't just move freely about like you could in other cities in the world, especially if you don't look indigenous. You need to move about like a celebrity would, with bought protection, nicer hotels, hotel drivers, actually body guard that came on the plane with you, a local you stay with, or otherwise keep a very low profile indeed. If you look latino and not in that white spainard kind of way, and you're bilingual, and you're street smart, you can have the even deeper experience. That doesn't matter when you're in Cancun though. I think Delta has more flights a day to Cancun than anyone else goes to any other city too. It's a tourist mecca. It has nothing to do with touring the DF.

That said, OP should indeed take one side trip out of the city. City dwellers like to leave the city on the weekend too.
>>
>>1177215
>In my experience, Mexican cities are perfectly safe as long as you exhibit the same common sense as you would in any large North American city.
Not exactly true. The travel.state.gov website clearly breaks it down by area. The thing about crime in mexico is that it is violent behind the need to be that absolute. And, whatever the murder rate is, and I don't know the last couple of years, the missing rate is more than twice that, and so the murder rate is really 3x what is reported(!) and laughed at for not being as bad as Iraq, but in Mexico it is still more than 100 american deaths annually. It's significant. Go to cancun, where only 4 died, but 69 in ensenada and tijuana in baja? 34 in the DF? It's not "as safe as any north american city" when you don't buy/sell/deal drugs in those cities which you dont' do when you travel either, but you're simply a tourist. Let's be real about that. The risks are very high. I've been traveling all over mexico my whole life and if I didn't have those memories, I might go now, but I haven't enough not to risk it anymore. I have no worry about the yucatan, where tourists _are_ held up on cruise ship tour buses (shh), I just don't think they're stabbing or gunning them down or kidnapping them there. Don't want to be a kidnapping risk? Have absolutely no online presence. If you don't work for the state dept, you're probably an idiot on facebook where people research you enough to go after you as a victim. There are a dozen kidnappings an hour in Mexico City. Fact.
http://www.houstonchronicle.com/local/mexicomap/

>>1177215
>It's just funny how Americans will completely discard the idea of travelling to Mexico but will happily consider a vacation in say, Brazil, which has a significantly higher murder rate.
No one thinks Brazil is safe. What a horrible analogy. It hasn't been safe since the 80s. It has the highest crime in all S. American,outside of the total economic collapse problem in Venezuela.
>>
>>1177349
Uhhh, hired guards? Really? That sounds horrible. must only be for certain areas. why would anyone go there if they needed guards?
>>
I really want to go to Mexico, it seems like somewhere I'd enjoy a lot.

I'm an okay looking guy and I speak Spanish (not quite fluently but well enough to converse), do I have any chance of getting with a local chick?

And I bet the food amazing
>>
Where do i need to go to expereince local aztec shit in mejico
>>
>>1177374
>That sounds horrible
That's because he's exaggerating the security risk, but the rest of his post is true.
>>
I'm planning on spending three weeks in Mexico this winter. My plan is to fly into DF, take the Red Star bus to Puebla, bum around there for a week, take the bus to Oaxaca, hang there for a week, then take the bus back to DF and check out a little of the city before flying home. Particularly excited about Puebla.

Anything I shouldn't miss?
>>
>>1177516
In Mexico city: Anthropology museum, templo mayor museum, Tlatelolco, Teotihuacán
>>
>>1177352
>more than 100 american deaths annually.
I dunno, they tend to count Juan Pedro Ramirez born in Fort Worth, TX as an anchor baby and was dealing with the cartel as an American death.
>>
>>1175363
do NOT drink the water, get ready to "Jump" over the wall when you came back to the States and you will be OK
>>
>>1176476
There's Ayahuasca in Mexico? Tell me more I'm heading to mexico next week and down through south america
>>
>>1177349
What the fuck? This is so untrue, I just got back from there and moved freely around just like any other city. I'm sure there are large swaths that you'd want to avoid, but the nicer/hipster areas are just as safe as many places in the US, or at least that was my impression.
>>
>>1173291
OP how'd your trip turn out? I just got from two weeks starting a couple days after your post but I spent a full week in DF and a week traveling from Cancun to Merida.

Also anyone interested in DF or Yucatan and nearby ruins just ask.
>>
>>1178959
Did Yucatan last trip. Going to do Puebla and DF this one. What have you got for me?
>>
>>1179054
Sorry buddy, I had a bunch of shit typed out and my browser crashed. I'll hit you back tomorrow. What did you get into in the Yucatan btw?
>>
>>1179089
Flew into Cancun and took a bus to Puerto Morelos, then Playa del Carmen, then Tulum, then took a bus the Merida for a few days, a day trip to Puerto Progresso and then a bus back to the airport on Cancun and home.

Look forward to your DF and Puebla recommendations.
>>
>>1179431
1. Teotihuacan - A must. The climb up the Temple of the Sun is incredible. Don't buy anything from vendors there, instead go to Centro Artesanal La Ciudadela (Google it). Easiest way to get to the ruins, 200 pesos for roundtrip bus from Autobuses del Norte. Enter and go to your far left to number 8.

2. Museo Nacional de Antropología (Takes several hours, is massive), Museo del Templo Mayor, and Soumaya. These are some of the largest museums.

3. Castillo de Chapultepec, Palacio Nacional (Diego Rivera Murals there are awesome), Cathedral, and Zocalo Square.

4. If you like most art its worth a trip to Museo Nacional De Arte, Museo Mural Diego Rivera, Palacio de Bellas Artes, Museo Tamayo Arte Contemporáneo, and Museo de Arte Moderno. Look up the prices and exhibits to see if its worth your effort. Bellas Artes had Otto Dix there. Moderno had Varo there.

5. Walk through Almeda Central, Paseo de la Reforma, and Chapultepec Park.

I don't know where you are staying but I stayed near the Angel of Independence so I can help you with that area. Also their metro subways is pretty good. Look up transit on google maps. Find your destination and lines. Each hub has a symbol in the metro, easy to navigate. 5 peso to go anywhere. Safe.
>>
>>1179431
I did most major ruin destinations in Yucatan. Tulum, Coba, Chichen Itza, and Uxmal. Hit Palenque before we set out for DF. Did you happen to hit any of those?
>>
>>1179440
Thanks. That's helpful. Will research.
>>1179441
I hit the ruins at Tulum. And I enjoyed the courtyard buildings in Merida. At the end of the day I'm more of a food guy, but still interested in history and architecture. I can find the placeros on my own, so I'm looking for input on the stuff I might miss when it comes to history and architecture.
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.