[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Learning a language and living abroad

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

I'm looking to learn a useful language in a decent program abroad. This blurs the line between /trv/ and /int/ but I thought I'd get better ideas here. Learning the language is the primary objective but being somewhere with interesting people, history, and culture would increase the desire to learn. I'd also like to have fun while there, whatever that might entail. Budget range is around 1000-1500 USD a month but maybe more.

FWIW I'm a 22 year old murrican and only speak English. 4 languages I've considered are:
Arabic, Mandarin, Russian, and Spanish

Spanish has obvious benefits and there are plenty of Spanish speaking countries I'd like to go to but given that I have an opportunity to go abroad and learn I'm not sure I should use that to learn a language that is easier compared to the rest. Also many people already speak it fluently in the USA.

Russian I'm leaning towards since I like Russian history and culture, there are good benefits, and it could make learning other Slavic languages easier. Relations are kind of shit, but there are many different countries I could go to learn Russian.

Mandarin I've heard anecdotes of people going there and having people just want to practice English which is understandable. I'm not sure there would be any particular benefit unless I was in some very specialized role. Of course China would be fascinating to live in and explore.

As for Arabic I'm not sure there are any suitable countries to learn in, especially for an American. There are the wealthy gulf states but that would break the bank unless I had some sort of scholarship which I don't.

Any ideas /trv/? I'm wide open to advice, or just to hear about your experiences doing something like this.
>>
>>1173074
if you're honestly considering spanish or arabic, you should definitely choose one of those, because you're clearly too much of an idiot to successfully learn something like chinese or russian
>>
File: World-Languages.jpg (124KB, 800x549px) Image search: [Google]
World-Languages.jpg
124KB, 800x549px
>>1173092
>chinese or russian

Great choice, they'll each be useful to you in one country.

As a point of information for OP and others interested, here is a map of the primary languages spoken in different countries around the world.

Good news is, English, she is spoken more of a wideness with each day that transpires.
>>
>>1173142
>austria
>others
>>
>>1173142
>Learning the language that is spoken in the most number of countries instead of learning the language of the country that interest you the most

Surefired way to set yourself up to fail. Plus there are so many Chinese immigrants abroad.

>>1173092
Spanish is the easiest language for an English speaker to learn but Arabic is harder than Russian
>>
>>1173162
>>Learning the language that is spoken in the most number of countries instead of learning the language of the country that interest you the most

Fair enough, but if a lot of places interest you, maybe learning a language spoken in a lot of places is a good idea.

Yeah, there are many immigrants of whatever nationality in a lot of countries, but most of them will also speak the language where they are now living. But sure, if it interests you to visit China Towns of the World, go for it, to each his own.
>>
>>1173142
ah, yes. I'm sure a MAP is a good way to determine what languages are useful. the opportunities in... PERU are ENDLESS!

your powers of deduction are brilliant. next challenge: solve tic tac toe
>>
>>1173142
>Russian
>useful in one country
Nigga. You severely underestimate the linguistic impact the USSR had.
>>
>>1173398
you're talking to a guy who thinks spanish and "arabic" (whatever that means, each dialect is literally a completely different language) are useful languages to learn.

if you expect him to be well educated, you're naive
>>
>>1173403
Arabic is a meme but Spanish can be quite useful
>>
>>1173403
Egyptian Arabic is understood pretty much everywhere in the middle east because thats where the movie industry is. Its also pretty much the only dialect they teach unless its a special class for learning to live in a specific country other than Egypt.

Its like learning Mandarin, even though there are tons of Chinese dialects
>>
>>1173477
for travel? if it's your preference

for work? no.

>>1173491
this is the ideal situation. it is not the real situation. the real situation is that dialects are still mutually unintelligible, even though egyptian is one of the least so.

again, it depends on what capacity you intend to utilize this. from the way op is talking, he intends to be "pragmatic" about this, and he shadowposted, or another poster, posted, some stupid fucking map that would only fool someone with a room temperature IQ

egyptian arabic isn't going to cut it for work anywhere but egypt. period.
>>
>>1173519
As a native Arab speaker every dialect to the east of Egypt with some exceptions in Yemen is mutually intelligible. We can even say that eastern Libya is just as intelligible as Egyptian and no one has any problem understanding them.
>>
>>1173477
just pay some street urchin to translate for you or something, why go through the trouble of learning a language that hasn't produced much in the way of literature? learn Russian instead ffs, Russian literature is GOAT.
>>
>>1173092
>implying Arabic isn't hard as fuck
OP if you're not an idiot you can be nearly fluent in Spanish in under a year if you really (really) apply yourself. Spanish and English are both Indo-European languages and closely related, whereas Arabic and Mandarin were born from separate sources so if you learn them, you are essentially starting from scratch. Russian is Indo-European as well but it's broken off way earlier, so a lot of dissimilarities have grown since then.
Plus Spanish is useful not only in most of South America and all of Central America but US and even Spain as well.
>>1173142
Also don't listen to this fool. Chinese and Russian are very marketable languages.
>>1173672
Lebanese Arabic is quite different but you can also get by there with French as 50% or so speak it fluently
>>
>>1174529
I never meant to imply arabic wasn't hard. but if he's so stupid he's honestly considering learning arabic or spanish, maybe his meager brainpower can let him scrape by in either one of those countries.

russians and chinese have an average iq above 80, so he'll just be an idiot who speaks chinese or russian. no one wants to hire that. he mght be a cerifiable genius to arabs
>>
ill make it an easy choice for you. Just learn Spanish, the language is the easiest, an entire continent speaks it and Spanish speaking women are hot as fuq.
>>
>>1173074
Learning russian if you do not already speak any of the slavic languages is true hell, especially if you only speak english.
>>
>>1175110
Hell, I'm having trouble learning it and i already know 3 slavic languages.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.