[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a city better than San Francisco, California?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 1

File: Srinivasa Ramanujan.jpg (400KB, 1536x2104px) Image search: [Google]
Srinivasa Ramanujan.jpg
400KB, 1536x2104px
I intend to buy a house in SF after I graduate from doctoral school for pure Mathematics. Big money I'm gonna get after striking it big in revenue from a massive website I'm going to make. But I was thinking. Is there a better city than SF? You know, mostly cool weather, with especially rainy winters and gray autumns? Can't beat that gloomy gray feel. I've considered Reno, NV, and New York, New York. Post cities like this.
>>
>>1172628
Seattle. Also Vancouver.
>>
>>1172628
SF is ok for that weather bubble, if you get bummed out by bad weather you can be in LA in 4 hours.
>>
It never rains here, man. You want further north for that.
>>
>>1172628
New york. And the women are 100x more attractive
>>
>>1172628
Have you been to SF?

I've worked here 6 years and I can tell you the homeless and drug problem is getting worse
>>
>>1172628
You're a piece of shit, your project will fail and you'll be lucky if you can buy a house in bumfuck Iowa.

And SF is an overpriced city, it's a bad investment. Rent while you live there, buy appartments in a city with a safer growth and rent it out.

Eventually buy when you have more money than you need.
>>
>>1172768
What's so special about women in NYC?
>>
>>1172919
>And SF is an overpriced city,
True without question.

>it's a bad investment. Rent while you live there, buy appartments in a city with a safer growth and rent it out.
Bad advice. Rent is proportionally seriously overpriced in San Francisco compared to owning if you can muster a punishing down payment. I bought a place, ended up paying much less than half what I would have to rent there, and sold about eight years later making several hundred thousand profit; it was a gain of a little over 40%.

It's true that our housing market is plagued by bubbles, at least in terms of asking prices. But the systemically limited stock means that owning a home has always paid off over the last near-century if you're willing to hang in there for a few years. It's an unusually durable housing market, fluctuations notwithstanding.
>>
>>1173014
NYC is the same way with housing prices, many places that were considered "ghetto" ten years ago now have homes going for over 1 million dollars.
>>
>>1173018
Indeed, I know it well. I'm old, and I lived briefly in Williamsburg when it was still quite seriously shitty, which is probably hard for any New Yorker under 35 to imagine.

NYC is probably the most similar housing market in the US to SF, at least in terms of the cost of renting having accelerated much faster than the cost of buying, and the same long-term tendency of owning ultimately always being profitable if you're willing to hang in there for a bit.
But because we're so much smaller than New York (maybe 12% of your size by generous estimates), we wound up even more expensive than you--I look at New York real estate listings regularly and am amazed by how cheap it seems.

And yeah, of course, bad neighborhoods become desirable because, at first, they're affordable to buyers with a desire to improve their homes.
>>
>>1173009
Chocolate and caramel
>>
>>1173028
ughhh yeah NYC has a lot a lot of hot caramel girls. But I'm pretty sure the Bay Area does too.
>>
>>1173025
You think NYC real estate is cheap? Even the cheapest neighborhoods aside from Staten Island tend to have have houses that are 450k and higher, anything even remotely trendy tends to be in the high hundred thousands at least.

But I think San Francisco is more comparable to Manhattan than NYC as a whole.
>>
>>1173035
I don't think NYC is anything resembling cheap by any sane standard. It's fucking insane. But it's cheaper than San Francisco because we are smaller and have fewer available bedrooms.

I could buy a larger house than I now inhabit for several hundred thousand dollars less in New York. I could pay the same price per bedroom in Manhattan, but the square footage would be much less.
>>
>>1173038
I'm saying San Francisco is so small that it's more comparable to Manhattan South of 96th street, which I think would be more expensive than SF but I could be wrong.
>>
>>1173034
Not at all compared to nyc. Sf has a serious lack of black and brown girls. But if you like asians, youll be good
>>
>>1173052
There are a lot of blacks and Hispanics in the Bay Area. Even San Francisco has a lot of Hispanics.

But Oakland has tons of Asians (including Southeast Asians), Latinas, and black girls.

NYC has more Latino diversity though, tons of smokin hot Puerto Rican and Dominican girls. And a big chunk of the black girls there are West Indian so you can go to clubs where they dance on your peepee.
>>
NYC probably has the hottest Latinas in the country.
>>
>>1172628
It's hardly a good city by European standards. I'm sure it's a nice place but it doesn't qualify as a good city by my autistic standards.
A good city must:
>be walk-able.
>have living space above commercial space.
>have a high population density (due to the above)
>have a high density of goods and services

Paris is a shithole in many ways but it's more of a city than nearly anywhere in the US will ever be. It's amazing to walk just a few km and encounter along that way an incredible diversity of architecture, entertainment and services.

I've been lucky enough to travel across quite a lot of the USA (Boston/Philly/NY/San Fran/LA/Miami) and I feel that American cities, for me, will always be far too dominated by big highways and far too spread-out to ever be considered the best city.
>>
>>1172628
Chi is better then nyc. It's cleaner, cheaper, and has the best sport teams
>>
>>1173270
Also is among the best public transportation systems in the world
>>
>>1173271
it's also chicago, which is flat, boring, and in the midwest.
no ty
>>
>>1173270
Let's face it, it's the poor man's NYC at best. But more affordable is always a plus.

NYC rents are retardedly high and they keep going up because people are willing to pay them even if it means being an adult and having roommates.
>>
>>1173311
People share rooms in new York? I can handle sharing a flat but that's rediculous. It's not even that bad here in Paris.
>>
>ctrl-f 300k starting
>zero results

this thread sucks.
>>
>>1173260
San fran is walkable as fuqq and has amazing bus and light rail. Too many gays and mediocre women though
>>
>>1173484
>mediocre women

What does this even mean? in a city of millions how can this ever matter? Unless youre just a pervert that likes to watch women of coursw, in which case you need to get your city searching priorities in order.
>>
>>1173529
Compared to cities of similar size like boston, new york or philly, SF has fewer qts. Stop being a faggt
>>
>>1172628
Seattle and Portland. I'd say Ashland but it isn't a really a city.
>>
>>1173564
this, also the gays are colossal attention-whoring faggots instead of being cool lumberjack homosexuals
>>
I live in California and I think San Fran is the worst city in the damn state. The second being LA obviously. Good destinations for temporary visits but not living. These two cities totally bring down California due to their huge influence.
>>
>>1173380
I meant sharing apartments, but I'm pretty sure people share rooms too.

>>1173260
New York is probably the most Urban place in the World that isn't in East Asia, and it easily has all the attributes you're talking about.
>>
>>1173564
New York is also super diverse, which means better selection of qts
>>
Honestly OP? No. It is the best city in the world.

I am 47 years old and am lucky enough to have lived all over the world. I spent two years in San Francisco in the late 90's and it was absolutely magical.

I've lived in the UK, Australia, Japan, Macau, and briefly even Egypt as well as travelling to numerous other places. San Francisco is just so wonderfully compressed and accessible you'd forget it's real life.

I don't know what is going on there now with all the "tech bros" (which you probably are) and all of the gentrification but if it retained even 10% of what it had 20 years ago you have to do it.
>>
>>1173260

You have literally no idea what you are talking about if you think Paris is more walkable than 49 square mile San Francisco. Idiot.
>>
>>1174059

121 km squared. I'm not sure where you're getting your number from. Also even if San Fran was smaller (which it isn't) it's the density of services and restaurants that made it more annoying to walk than Paris. Here there is a restaurant and brasserie on the end of every street. And most streets here are really short by American standards.
>>
I really didn't care for London but I honestly do not really know how to enjoy a city.
>>
>>1172628
adopt me when you move. i've been wanting to live in frisco for a while. ^_^
>>
>>1172628
I'm Japanese American from SF and love overcast weather so I'm biased but I have traveled a bit and would still say yes. Everyone talks about the egregious cost of housing and gentrification but it's still amazing. I live in Hong Kong now but I grew up in Lower Pacific Heights and worked for a bit in NYC after going to uni in SF, but I quickly ran back to SF. In terms of living, I've only really been interested in California (particularly SF) and Asia—I personally find Europe to be bland and unexciting. Some parts of South America (particularly Brazil) are pretty cool tho. New York was fun when I worked in Midtown for 8 months but it wasn't San Fran.

U.S. cities similar to SF and pretty nice but not better than it imo:

Seattle, Portland, New York, Pittsburgh, Eugene, Buffalo, Missoula

Also, if you like Asians then San Fran is unbeatable.
>>
>>1174057
Pretty much all of this. Also, I live in Hong Kong now. I've been to Macau a few times and the architecture is really cool but I'd much prefer working and living here than there. Macau is too crowded and there is little variation. The remnants of Portuguese history is nice but aside from that I find it boring. Definitely not a bad place to live but not as great as Hong Kong imo.
>>
>SF
Eww. No.
>>
>>1175287
What did you do in your 8 months in NY? If you just did tourist trap stuff then it doesn't count
>>
>>1175295
This. The streets have so much shit in them is disgusting and the nice parts are far from downtown and creepy quiet
>>
>>1175395
You sound boring

Like if you visited NYC and only liked Tottenville, Staten Island
>>
>>1172628

My vote is portland, Oregon
>>
Sf is nice for people who are not from the bay area or California in general. I would never live there.
>>
>>1172628
>Reno, NV
why here? its ass
>>
>>1172628
washington and oregon are way better
>>
>>1172808
This.
I work in the Financial District and theres homeless people shit everywhere.
Theres so much shit on the sidewalks and on the roads.
Ive seen homeless people literally start shitting and pissing right next to my truck as im getting ready to leave.

The cops need to start putting more homeless people down.
>>
>>1175622
>how dare you criticize muh poo in loo streets!
Fgt. San fran is pretty boring for the record
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.