[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

best way to travel through england ? (Public transport)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

So basically in december i want to travel to Englang first to london from where i live, then i wan't to go visit a friend down in PLYMOUTH and i'm not sure what would be the best way to get down there because i'm a little nervous cus it's my first time traveling alone.
>>
>>1170341
Bus, train, drive... which appeals to you?
>>
>>1170351
yeah but if i'll take train, can i buy a ticket at the station or it is online, where can i read more about this. that's pretty much why i'm asking, what are the different trains and so on
>>
>>1170341
The megabus (google it) is way cheaper than train travel
>>
Unfortunately, unlike a lot of western Europe, our train network isnt as well invested in as it could be. It's pretty good by global standards, but unless you're on a short local train it's prohibitively expensive to buy tickets on the day. I'm talking like £100+ sometimes.

You need to use a website like thetrainline.com or the site of that region's rail provider, which is Great Western Rail of Isambard Kingdom Brunel fame, about a month in advance for decent prices. You pay online and then on the day you put your card in the ticket machine, it asks for your booking number and prints them out.
>>
As >>1170376 says megabus is way cheaper and the prices are still low even a day or two before travel. It can take a lot longer if they have a lot of stops though, I imagine the Plymouth one would pick up in other parts of the southwest and Bristol.
>>
>>1170341
Disguise yourself as an Arab and scream racism when they ask you for the fare. Bongs are so afraid of being called racist that they'll bend over backwards to accommodate your every whim as long as you promise not to report them to the police
>>
>>1170818
especially the police, lol
>>
>>1170818

Troll post, but I find most western Europeans and Americans to be a lot more sensitive to race than Brits, who are more likely to say "bollocks you daft paki, giz ya money"
>>
>>1170823
NIce anecdotal evidence, my future interactions with hundreds of millions of people will definitely be effected by the life experiences of a single human on the internet
>>
I'd use a train.

>can i buy a ticket at the station or it is online

Both. but online in advance is usually much cheaper.

https://www.thetrainline.com/

book a few days in advance to get the best price. I use this website religiously.

>The megabus

Yeah it can be much cheaper but its not as convenient.
>>
>>1170823
Chavs aren't people, they don't count as Brits
>>
Just to note that, with booking tickets in advance, you have to take the train at the time stated. As you're only going to Plymouth and back it should be a pretty easy, roughly 3 hour journey each way. Just make sure you've enough time to get to the station.

Megabus is an option but might take quite a while longer, have a look and see.

>>1170870

>Let's point and laugh at people with less money than us!

>>1170849

He was stating his opinion, you're free to disregard it. No need to call him out because he's not peer reviewed. You're going to give your first girlfriend a hard time, aren't you?
>>
>>1170915
>strawmanning this hard
I don't consider them people because they're too inbred to function in western society. Why is this so hard to understand?
>>
I am from Plymouth if you want to ask me anything
>>
Plymouth is actually quite awkward to get to from London. The train is probably the best option though yeah. Unless you feel comfortable using a ride share app like BlaBlacar.
>>
>>1171207

Gosh, you sound like a riot. If anyone is too inbred, it's the upper-classes like you, dear.
>>
>>1170818
Hello /pol/

Not sure if that works down south but try bitching up north with the racism/islamaphobia card and you'll get your teeth kicked down your throat.
>>
>>1170367
>can i buy a ticket at the station or it is online
You can do both. I'd recommend booking the tickets in advance on a website like trainline.com, buying tickets on the day can get very expensive. They give you a booking number that you just have to enter in one of the self-service machines at the station.

I've never used megabus before but if I'm looking at the right prices then it is a lot, lot cheaper than travelling by train. The only issue is that the journey will take longer and you have to be ready to leave at a certain time.
>>
>>1171938
lmao northerners are all talk.

sorry that you don't get waitrose in your disused coal mines. try not to starve when brexit really hits ;)
>>
>>1171457
it's not too bad, you can get a direct train from paddington that goes to plymouth, carrying on all the way down to penzance
>>
>>1171646
Bloody uppity peasants, why are you even allowed on the internet? I mean it's 2016 for Ba'al's sake, why we haven't culled 10% of you proles is beyond me.
>>
>>1170341

Train.
>>
>tfw people want to visit my home city.

Who Plymouth here? [spoiler]I live in Japan now but kind of miss the place. Shame there is little to no industry these days since the dockyard was all but decimated[/spoiler]

Just get the train direct from Paddington m8.
>>
If renting a car is an option for you, definitely just drive, will be the most straightforward.

If not, second best is likely the train. As others have said, book in advance online for the cheapest fares. You can pay on the day but it will likely be extortionate with no guarantee of a seat.

Then there's also the option of the coach if rail is too expensive. It will take much longer but will be cheaper. If the coach is too much, there is always the option of the megabus. The megabus will probably cost you as little as £5-£8 but bear in mind it will take many hours to reach Plymouth because it makes stops.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.