[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Living on under $1500/month abroad

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 1

File: 192819581501.jpg (449KB, 1630x1118px) Image search: [Google]
192819581501.jpg
449KB, 1630x1118px
Lets talk about all the long term travel and what the best places to live on under $1500/month are in the world.

What locations/cities would give you a cheap cost of living while maintaing a reasonably good quality of life? All continents/locations are welcome as long as they fit the criteria.

What are your favourite budget locations?
>>
>>1170076

odessa ukraine

$500/month is a good life
>>
>>1170076
Bulgaria fits the bill. Like the other anon says, $500 is a decent budget there. $1500 will get you a great life. Of course, that's liable to change as more and more long-distance workers and outsourced companies seem to discover that particular part of the world.
>>
>>1170076
anyfuckingwhere in Europe outside of the big Western-euro capitals
>>
>>1170076
$500 anywhere in Brazil, maybe $750 if you want a place on a central location on Rio or São Paulo.
But I wouldn't recommend Brazil...
>>
>>1170076

https://www.theearthawaits.com/

Neat little site that's still under construction. It scrapes data from numbeo and lets you fill in your budget, location restrictions, lifestyle choices and family size (>implying) to get a list of cities that fit your criteria
>>
Nice, looks like 250+ locations for one person with an ample lifestyle on that site.
>>
>>1170927
Great website thanks for the help. Looks pretty basic right now but I can see this website blowing up with some more work put in.
>>
>>1170428
>anywhere in Europe
>comfortable on $1500/month

nope
>>
>>1171080
i'm living comfy on 400$/mo in Warsaw, naturally frugal though so it doesn't count
>>
>>1170101
How do I get a job as a "long-distance worker" and move somewhere with cheap cost of living?
>>
>>1171080
In Greece you live very comfy with 1.5k a mo, and it's literally a tropical paradise in the summer
>>
>>1171095
I took a weird route. I worked for a company for two years, gave them three months' notice because I was sick of where their HQ was (ol' London Town).
But, the job was nice so I made them a proposition. If they didn't find anyone else in 3 months' time, they'd allow me to work long-distance. This was something of a gamble, but my skillset is sufficiently rare that I liked my odds. They accepted, three months went by and now I live where I want. I'm no longer in Sofia, but it shouldn't have changed too much from early 2014.

But most people seem to try scraping by on freelancing. With varying results, predictably. I'm in a better position of course, not having to worry about clients. But as I said: I have taken a weird route.
>>
>>1171134
Though I should add that I took a (respectable) paycut. London's wages are overinflated because housing prices are exorbitant, and they saved some money there.
>>
>>1171080
1500 will give you comfortable life in most regional larger cities in Poland.
Wroclaw, Poznan and Gdansk are good. Wroclaw in the centre is almost as western as most cities in Germany and definitely cleaner and safer than most cities in UK.
>>
>>1171080
1500$ is over 1000€
You can live very well on that here in Lisbon. I spend 450€ a month here. Not to mention smaller cities in the country which are much, much cheaper...

1000€/month is considered a good salary here
>>
>>1171190
just looked it up and the exchange rate right now makes it over 1300€
that's great here
>>
>>1171134
>This was something of a gamble, but my skillset is sufficiently rare that I liked my odds.
What kind of skillset are we talking?
>>
>>1170923
>But I wouldn't recommend Brazil...

howcome?
>>
>>1170076
>$1500/month
The fuck? You should be able to live like a king anywhere. I'm in my extremely overpriced western Euro capital city and I'm living on 600-700€ a month just fine.

Look for 2nd world countries if you want your money to go far.
>>
>>1171377
That won't even cover rent in many large metropolitan places in the USA. Even smaller places that's not enough to live on in most of the USA. Especially when you factor in a family
>>
>>1171200
Legal and chemical degrees, "proven track record" as a translator (God, do I hate pandering to the HR department). Basically, I proofread Patient Information Leaflets and Summaries of Product Characteristics, and tell my company what may or may not fly with EU regulations. Then, after a lot of back-and-forth, I translate them. You'd think multi-billion pharma companies would know they can't include certain compounds in pharmaceutical products but no, I have to point this out on a distressingly regular basis. Still, 's aight.
>>
>>1170076
Any country in Latin America.
>>
>>1171080
>tfw living in munich for around 700 per month veeery comfortably...
Outside the cities or even in cheaper cities like Berlin its so easy to get by cheaply.
>>
>>1171080
I live comfortably on 1400€ in Germany and can afford to spend my 6 weeks of yearly vacation abroad.
unless living comfortably for you means a big ass flat in the center of major cities.
>>
>>1171576
>berlin
>cheap

that meme died a while ago
>>
$1,500/month USD? That can get you far in almost any country. I lived in Manchester UK for less. You can even live off that much in most parts of the US. I lived on my own in Texas off of $9/hour when I was younger.

I thought the whole point of moving abroad is to spend less money? I know friends of my family that live abroad on $500/month. My college buddy came to study here from Australia and he now lives in Panama. He doesn't even do anything to make money. He married a local girl that teaches and her family owns a resort and restaurant. All he does is hike, surf, and post cool ass pictures on Facebook.
>>
>>1170076
1500 a month is a lot.

I live on the beach in Southern California for less than that. I cook my own meals and bulk buy non perishables so it's pretty aight. Only the water bill sucks.

If all you care about is surfing, hiking and free diving it's a very manageable budget. You can even drink for free if you're near college parties.

You could sublease from some students for a summer and be a beach bum easy.
>>
>>1170077
Need more convincing what are the pros and cons

I heard the HIV epidemic is really high there so I really wouldn't want to fuck girls with a condom even if I knew they had Aids.. Yeah I know most of them are hot
>>
>>1170923
To much crime don't want to deal with that shit getting from point A to B
>>
>>1171222
Cause they need a no crime policy like the Philippines just shoot all criminals that make the rest of the country suffer
>>
>>1171586
I bet he does some under the radar shit to get capital just wouldn't share that info on facebook
>>
>>1171661
Nope. He lives off of his wife's family. I went to visit him over the Summer. He's a bum.
>>
>>1171658

there's a heroin problem in odessa but only junkies and dirty hookers have hiv

lots of clean college girls that want foreigner cock
>>
>>1171664
That's one lucky dude, I'd do the same though
>>
>>1171586
> that can get you far in almost any country

Right, but I'm looking for the comfiest countries on the budget. I'm using that much because that is half of my half ( roughly ) of the profits of an online business me and a lifelong friend started. Costs are also managed a bit because we live together ( no homo ).
>>
>>1171134
I have a meeting with my boss to ask the exact same thing today. I'm moving to Italy though and wasn't going to suggest a straight up paycut but would be happy with a reduced remit or to be paid per job rather than salaried since I'm not clocking in.

Unfortunately I'm replaceable but hopefully they don't want the recruitment cost and settling in period.

I would actually be happy to freelance but as you say there are zero assurances.
>>
>>1171752
How'd it go, anon?

>zero assurances
Honestly, it depends on the sector you're in. Salaried work can be great for meeting future clients. When you're going freelance, you can just send out a batch of mails saying "Hi, you know me from when I was working at X, but I'm now offering to do the job for €?? instead of what you paid before, while the quality (i.e. me) remains the same." Not possible everywhere, but still.

>since I'm not clocking in
Ah. Well, I do still use their Citrix for some licences and such, so they can (and apparently do) check my schedule, which they won't be able to catch me on.
>>
>>1171498
oh wow. what a job. sounds comfy anon
>>
>>1171377
Shit, I live in Kentucky in the US. I take home $2000 a month and I'm still poor.
>>
>>1170076
You have so many options at that budget level. The obvious answer is Chang Mai, but Medellin is also a good choice if you're smart enough to stay out of the ghetto/choose your local company wisely.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.