[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

tourist traps thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5

File: 20160929_154233_Richtone(HDR).jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20160929_154233_Richtone(HDR).jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
tourist traps thread
>>
File: IMG_8422.jpg (212KB, 682x1023px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8422.jpg
212KB, 682x1023px
Any restaurant at a big plaza or square which has a flags thing going on. Worse if the menu is translated in more than 2 languages and has flag pictograms on it, covered in some shitty cellofane wrapping which looks like it has last been replaced a decade ago. Chicken & fries as the first thing on the menu obviously, desaturated picture of the actual dish is mandatory.
>>
>>1170012
Any time I'm starving and not looking for the real traveler experience I eat at those places lel
>>
>>1169943
That is pretty disgusting.

Where was that picture taken?
>>
>>1170048
yeah but the food is shit and vastly overpriced. If you are starving you can just as well grab some fastfood.
>>
File: kh.gif (359B, 16x11px) Image search: [Google]
kh.gif
359B, 16x11px
>>1169943
Pic related. You go in thinking it's just a poor man's Thailand, but everything's really just as expensive as it would be at home. Also the food isn't very good.
>>
File: IMG_1816.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1816.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
>>1170064
> but everything's really just as expensive as it would be at home

Is home Sri Lanka for you? Cambodia had similarly priced hotels, cheaper food, waaaaay cheaper booze and seemed a lot poorer than Thailand in every way.

Angkor Wat was not at all overrated either, it really is a must see/visit. Pic related from a few months ago.
>>
File: outer aw.jpg (1MB, 2304x1728px) Image search: [Google]
outer aw.jpg
1MB, 2304x1728px
>>1170064
you're a fucking nut. cambodia's cheap as hell (and we didn't even barter, because i don't give enough of a fuck about the difference between $1 and $1.50 to spend 4 minutes of my time arguing), ridiculously beautiful, the people are fantastic, and we went peak season and shit still wasn't crowded. pic related from angkor wat, one wall removed from the central courtyard.

>the food isn't very good
alright, you got me there. i got pretty sick of lemongrass+palm sugar+fish oil after about 3 days. thank god for aussie expats knowing how to make decent french toast.
>>
>>1170073
Sri Lanka's expensive as shit as a tourist. You really have to work hard to not get milked by the lcoals.
>>
>>1170051
Prague
>>
>>1170062
+1
>>
>>1170287
Prague has nice stuff going on, unless you're referring to all the scams and pickpocketing?
>>
Brussels in general.
I feel sorry for clueless travellers who decided they wanted to stay in the 'heart of europe'.

There's nothing really that interesting to see
- the landmarks are insignificant (eg. Manneken Pis is a joke, Atomnium was built just for tourists as part of the expo
- its 30% more expensive than other cities in Belgium (even more for beers and chocolate)
- traffic is the biggest clusterfuck in whole of Europe
- majority of the population is not even Belgian, filled with the dredges of lower class Turkish and Algerian immigration who have turned the city into a shithole over the last 30 years.
- its simply a filthy city compared to the northern part of the country. Like a smaller but shittier version of Paris.

Also:
- the insanely expensive chocolate and beer shops in Bruges which for some reason still get overrun by asian hordes after the 'In Bruges' movie was made.
- the diamond industry district in Antwerp = welcome to orthodox jew town where every non-jew is a piece of filth
- "Brussels-south" airport = Ryanair budget airport which leaves you stranded in the middle of nowhere, a 1,5h (car drive) away from Brussels with horrible acces to good train connections, ridiculous taxi prices and crappy overpriced 'shuttle' busses to Brussels.
>>
>>1170342
good to know, think I'll go to Poland instead
>>
>>1170342
But it's like a fuckin fairytale
>>
>>1171176
Nothing wrong with cities such as Bruges, Gent or (parts of) Antwerp in general though. And we do have high food standards, great chocolate and an insane diversity and concentration of beers.

Its just Brussels which is highly overrated and shit; the good parts such as the museums, Grand Place or churches/cathedrals are simply underwhelming in comparison to similar sized European cities.
>>
>>1170342
I was actually in Brussels for the weeked. It was insanely overcrowded and dirty. The Atomium is a joke and I have literally no idea what the fuss around Manneken Pis is for. I was just walking and noticed over 100 people just crowding around it. As for beers, an aussie I met from the hostel and I followed some pub crawl around and we got free shots and 1€ beers even though we didn't pay kek. (The 1€ beers were only 0,3L and like 2% anyway)

Also in Brussels, if you decide to go for a 5 minute walk in any direction from the city centre you'll end up wandering into a no go zone and getting stabbed. My first night I decided to go look for something to eat and walked south until I realized that all the shop signs were in Arabic and I was the only white person. I also noticed that there wasn't a single female anywhere.

Ghent and Brugges are quite nice though. And the Belgian (real Belgians, not Marrokan Belgians) are extremely helpful and will be glad to go out of their way to help you.

But for a 7€ Ryanair flight I think a weekend was worth it.
>>
>>1171372
>only 0,3L
That's the regular size, though. You can usually only get 50cl cans/bottles in supermarkets.
>>
>>1171493
What kind of bullshit is that? Where I'm from 0,5L/a pint is the minimum and none of that 2% pisswater especially not normally for 5€ each
>>
>>1171496
Consider how you might have been in a tourist trap, especially when you were on a pub crawl. In my local bar, a 33cl glass of 8-9% will set you back about €3. Trappist beers cost slightly more.

>2% pisswater
Lager's lager all over the world. We might call it pils, but that doesn't change what it is.
>>
>>1171192
+1 for Gent, would recommend.
>>
>>1170012
I once visited such a place in Madrid. At one point i got a glimpse of the kitchen, through the kitchen door. The chef was a fat sweaty guy in a t-shirt surrounded by shelves of microwave meals. How he managed to keep me waiting for my food is still beyond me, seeing such a meal i got should only need 5-10 minutes in the microwave.
>>
>>1170073
That looks like some type of reptilian warrior
is there any writing to why they were sculpting those images
>>
>>1170090
What's with those chicken fetus eggs do they taste any good, I need to find some friends that want to travel there
>>
>>1171748
just go alone man
>>
>>1171192
>>1171372
I was in Brussels and Antwerp just recently. I was really strucked by the difference of the 2 cities.

Antwerp is almost like a dutch city. Everyone still drives a bike, its clean and big enough to have events and good nightlife.

But Brussels was SOO dirty. Yeah, you walk 10 min outside the center and there isnt anything but tight streets. And its almost impossible to find a park or anywhere to just sit and relax. Though, places like Delirium is nice to meet people around the world (not so many belgians) and drink good beer.
>>
>>1171748
balut

i didn't see any there, but when my wife went to the philippines she tried it. she said it wasn't too bad. but she'd been drinking tuba and coke, so...
>>
>taxis
I'm in Sarajevo currently and holy shit those faggots are trying their best to screw you over. I just got off one because the faggot was refusing to turn on the taximeter. When I first arrived the one at the airport even showed me a pricelist saying that going to centre is 30km (it's 18km taximeter on).

What's up with taxi-drivers being this much scummy pretty much in every place
>>
>>1171748
My daughter ate balut in Vietnam. She does not recommend it.
>>
>>1171915
In Odessa the taxi driver refused to give me change. We agreed on a price in English beforehand but as soon as we arrived to my destination I handed him a 100 note for a 70 ride but all of a sudden the only English words he knew were "no change no change." I didn't have any other notes so I just sat in his car and didn't say anything. He tried to give me a water bottle in exchange but I wouldn't take it. After about 3-4 mins of pretending to look for change he magically pulls out a huge pouch of money and throws me 30 in small notes and tells me to get out of his car. What a piece of shit

Eastern Euro cab drivers are pure scum.
>>
>>1170064
Cambodia was dirt cheap and the temples were amazing. What are you talking about?

>>1171746
I believe that's the carving depicting the Churning of the Ocean of Milk. It's a Hindu legend about how the Gods and demons used a mountain and a giant snake to churn the Ocean to retrieve the nectar of immortality.
>>
>>1169943
Mont st michel.
>>
>>1171372
Single female traveler here. Was in Brussels couple weeks ago. Delirium is fucking kickass though, am I right? But yeah never seen so many fucking brown people/hijabs in my life. I got drunk and separated from my hostel buddies and some local twat to take me back to his place. I sobered up by then and got the fuck out of there. Bruges is absolutely beautiful. Like a cleaner, smaller, weed free Amsterdam.
>>
>>1171948
Not for a third-world country it isn't, I've had cheaper food at restaurants in Alberta. Also the temples are underwhelming unless there's been a recent rainstorm. Europe, Japan and pre-ISIS Middle East were better, never going back to Southeast Asia ever again.
>>
>>1171976
This, back when I visited it was full of litter and ads for other religious sites.
>>
>>1169943
Pic unrelated I hope. Or you are a fucking heretic.
>>
>>1172331
Nigger I live in Alberta. Where the fuck were you eating in Cambodia? Even eating at the FCC nightly is cheaper than going to Boston Pizza or similar pleb tier eateries here.
>>
>>1172368
But they aren't real candles.
>>
>>1169943
I would put coins in those when I was a child and my parents brought me to the church with them. This was in my own country, that's not a "tourist trap".
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.