[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Traveling through Switzerland - Pricey?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: Karte_Grand_Tour_of_Switzerland.png (6MB, 2455x1562px) Image search: [Google]
Karte_Grand_Tour_of_Switzerland.png
6MB, 2455x1562px
I live in Berlin, Germany (in case that helps with comparing prices).

I wanted to see Switzerland for a while now and just stumbled over the Grand Train Tour-Tickets their national Train service offers.

So I'm wondering how expensive rooms, food etc. are in the country?

Picture is somewhat related too
>>
>>1168136
it's definitely one level more expensive than germany in terms of everything, especially trains, my advice is rent a car and drive around, that way you actually see more and save money
>>
>>1168152
I do not have a drivers license - and I do enjoy traveling by train quite a bit.

Are the regions different in price? Any places I should avoid or rush through?

thanks for input
>>
>>1168136
Well here you go.
Room
>80-100€, hostels might be available for 25-50€/night
Food:
>kebab or other stuff about 10€ without a drink
>sit down lunch: daily menu with a drink: 20€
>sit down dinner starter, main dish and a drink you won't leave under 40€
>make your own meal/sandwich: 5€
Drinks/going out:
>expect to pay 6-12€ for a 5dl beer and 10-21€ for a Whisky Cola
Clubs:
>entry fee is usually between 10 and 100€ with no drinks included
Prostitutes:
>for anything that has not any STD you could imagine 150€+

Yes there's a huge price difference, the top are the most urban areas but expect the same prices in touristic areas like Interlaken, Zermatt, Davos, St. Moritz or Lugano.
Generally prices are from most expensive to cheapest
>german part > french part >>> italian part.
>>
>>1168136
been there, done that, yes it is expensive
>>
for trains, there's a half-price card. They have a monthly one and a yearly one. Literally gives you that- half price on all train tickets, plus also on some other transport. It's worth buying it already for one long train ride, like Zurich-Geneva. (Check the current prices yourself- my info is a bit dated)
>>
>>1168323
>Prostitutes:

Kek is this question really that popular on /trv/ that you felt the need to include it?

I'm not really outgoing, I'd just like to take a train trip through the country, staying in cities for a day or two - do some hiking etc.

Also good to know that the Italian part is (apparently) the cheapest!

Thanks for the input
>>
>>1168136
I'm critical if the swiss travel pass is worth it.
The 15days valid within 30 days including the half fare card is the only pretty good offer yet still expensive imo.
You have to use public transport every second day for 36CHF, that's at least a medium distance ride every two days.

Most regions are a linked transport system (with the ticket you can use all public transport in the area where it's valid. No matter if it's a ICE, ICN, a IC, the S-Bahn the Boat or the Bus) and a day pass in the cantons Zurich or Bern costs you about 17CHF if you have the half price card, so as long as you don't plan to do the glacier express about 7 times I don't think you will get your money out of it.
Get the half fare card and spend your money on individual trips
https://www.swiss-pass.ch/de/swiss-half-fare-card-halbtax/

Extras like the Glacier Express (33CHF seat reservation) or about 100 CHF for the Jungfrau train are not included anyway.
>>
>>1168573
What language will I be using in Switzerland? Are people more likely to speak/understand German even in the French/Italian/Romansh parts - or should I first try to use English there?

Also thanks for the input on the prices - I'm usually not the one that calculates a lot to make sure I don't waste a single Franc, so I might still get the pass because it just includes so many things and makes traveling easier.
>>
>>1168586
Most learn basic german and pretty good english in school.
So german or English will do the job. If you speak basic French or Italian even better.
In doubt use english, thats what we do anyway.

>Also thanks for the input on the prices - I'm usually not the one that calculates a lot to make sure I don't waste a single Franc, so I might still get the pass because it just includes so many things and makes traveling easier
I also don't care much about saving every single franc, I only realized that you pay almost 1/5th for 15 days as I pay for my Swiss Pass GA that is valid for 1 full year.
But I agree the convenience is probably worth it especially if you like museums.
>>
File: basel.jpg (468KB, 2400x1800px) Image search: [Google]
basel.jpg
468KB, 2400x1800px
>>1168136
Nette Idee.
Du wirst so gut wie überall Deutsch sprechen können ausser in Neuchatel, Fribourg, Lausanne, Genf, Sion, Bellizona. Dort kannst du dann Englisch sprechen oder Französisch wenn du es kannst.

Teuer als Berlin ist es auf jeden Fall!!! Vor allem das Essen. Als ich in Berlin war, dachte ich es kommt eine Vorspeise aber dann wars doch ein ganzes Menü ... Auch die Unterkünfte sind Teuer, selbst für mich als Schweizer. Aber es gibt genau so Jugendherbergen. http://www.youthhostel.ch/de

Grüsse aus Basel (Wenn du ein brauchst um zu trinken)
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.