[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Moving to Germany

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: krefeld-001.jpg (74KB, 666x421px) Image search: [Google]
krefeld-001.jpg
74KB, 666x421px
I am being moved to Germany for work and was told to expect to stay for 4 years. The job is located in Krefeld.

I have been learning the German language for a little over a year without having had a conversation with a native speaker and passed the Goethe-Zertifikat B2 exam but I am not fully confident in my speaking abilities. Will trying to speak German make me look/sound like a retard instead of speaking English and hoping my coworkers English is better than my German?

Should I try to live close to work or reside in Düsseldorf?

...How fucked am I?
>>
I probably should have mentioned I'm moving from the U.S. - I don't know if that matters.
>>
>>1167460
It's a kind of boring, flat landscape with dark, gloomy architecture and a conservative catholic background. The common greeting for returnees is "Weisste schon wer tot is?" (You know who died?).
The people are actually quite nice and friendly, though.

I'd try to live close to work if I were you, unless you have a massive hardon for formerly industrial urban environments.
You can still be in Düsseldorf or Duisburg fast enough if you want to go there, but you'll spend less time commuting daily.

And do try to speak German. Chances are your coworkers will love correcting your mistakes if you ask them to.
You can still fall back on English if you're not getting the meaning across.
>>
>>1167460
I was born in Krefeld. It's a boring little town but people are friendly, the city is clean and during the last few years we got a lot of new food stores so it could be way worse. It's easy to get from Krefeld to lots of mayor cities though. (Düsseldorf 40 minutes, Cologne about an hour, Netherlands are really close)

I would advise againt living in Düsseldorf, it can be very expensive and you would probably end up traveling 2 hours daily.

May I ask where you are going to work?
>>
>>1167460
In my travel experience (not living there experience), I found both Austria and German english-capable, but not english-friendly. This is in contrast to nearly everywhere else, where they seem more than happy to use the english. Chalk it up to something different in the culture.

When it comes to be the utmost in politeness, you never just speak English to someone without asking. Start in German, and like another anon said, you switch when you need to clarify or get a point across, or they switch you (LOL) if you are awkward enough in the language.. Being bilingual actually relies on your need to do better, and a 2nd language (teachers will tell you) is about a 7 year process for full fluency to express yourself as well as your first language as a writer.
>>
>>1167480
Cargill
>>
>>1167460
Düsseldorf is an awesome city, I lived in it and near it my whole life. English shouldn't be a problem, almost everybody I know could at least understand you and help you. But definitely try to speak german, nobody would think you're a retard but feel kinda charmed that you try.

As for living in Düsseldorf, it's not quite as expensive as Cologne or Frankfurt but it's getting there. Even living in the surrounding areas can be really cutting into your budget. Affordable living room is becoming a problem in every major city in germany and Düsseldorf is no exception.
>>
>>1167508
friend of mine did an internship there once, they were pretty relaxed and nice, have fun!
>>
>>1167460

Krefeld might be a bit of a small town shithole but commuting every day from Düsseldorf will be worse. Get cozy in Krefeld and then travel to the bigger cities on the weekends.

B2 will be fine for everyday things and having the occasional meaningful conversation. Keep learning and you'll be fine; just don't be one of those cunts that lives in Germany for five years and can't even order their Brötchen at the bakery.
>>
How old are you and would you be inclined to get your dick sucked
>>
Burger here. Moved over 6 years ago.
Kudos for passing your language course. Hardest part for me was getting the courage to actually start speaking Deutsch with others.
Your co-workers will most likely offer to help you and will also be more inclined to speak english but don't expect many other Volk away from work to do the same. My experience is even if than can speak some english they won't. They clam up around a native speaker.
Big cities are all the same. Loud, dirty and crowded. Duce is no different. Been there for work on a few occasions it's the same as any other large city.
Can answer some specific questions if you have any more. Insight from someone that did it might be helpful.
Sucks you didn't get sent to Bayern (Bavaria) a whole different Deutschland down here.
>>
>>1167571
where do you live, how old are you and would you be inclined to get your dick sucked
>>
>>1167572
Dude just go to Berlin you can get paid to suck dick there.
>>
>>1167577
pls answer
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.