[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Traveling to Japan

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

Going to Japan with a friend. We irresponsibly bought tickets for 35 days (January-February 2017) Doing the math we will probably have 150.000 yens for the two of us (more or less). Is it enough? Fuck hotels, our plan is to use Airbnb or cheap hostels. Fuck fancy restaurants we plan to cook for ourselves or something similar (instant noodles maybe). But we are kinda worried. In the best case we would like to go to disneyland or universal, we just don't know if 150.000 yens is enough for two people.

Also, we are not going to buy the JR pass... Is it possible to go to Osaka/Kyoto/Hiroshima/Nagasaki/Other interesting places by bus from Tokyo?

Thanks in advance.
>>
Food can be very cheap if you buy prepered bento boxes at supermarkets with end-of-the-day discounts.
If you can also WWOOF for a while too, it might even be a nice experience (I've done it there)

google "wikitravel japan"
>>
Around 1500$ for 35 days? That's tight as fuck; I think I spent that much in 3 weeks there.
But I guess you can pull this, you can eat for cheap easily but transport is pretty expensive.
>>
>>1167398
It's definitely not enough. I'd check out lodging first. I'd say that the cheapest hostels are really those capsule kind but at the same time, you won't have the option to cook for yourself at that point. $1500 per month means that your average cost a day has to be less than 50 dollars combined and per person it'll be 25 dollars at most. If you plan to go to Disneyland, then you're spending at least 100 dollars there just for tickets and food.

Using cheap lodging or food won't save you from the initial base cost of living in Japan. The cheapest capsule hotel or airbnb you can find might be around 30 dollars per night for the two of you. Just from that you'll be spending $1050 of the $1500 you have. Then you'll have to survive on 450 dollars worth of food for 35 days.

I'd just cancel the tickets and save yourself the hassle/experience of being homeless and starving.
>>
Op here. What if I go with twice that money? 300.000 yen. I think I can do it if I start saving now. I know some things in tokyo can be really expensive, we just want to know if we can survive a month there.
>>
You can survive but the trip won't be that fun ha ha. Skip Disney skip universal
>>
OK then, no disney for me this time :c
>>
>>1167530
airbnb is by far cheaper
>>
What a fucking idiot
>>
One week in a nice hotel sampling properly cooked local cuisine > one month slumming it eating microwave noodles
>>
>>1168459

This man gets it.

Showstring budget travel isn't even worth the hassle, constantly having to worry or stress over money and budgets and what you can/can't have, miss out on things you want to do and basically be a poorfag for the entire trip.

Delay the trip, save more & have a relaxing and semi-indulgent holiday that you will remember for the right reasons!
>>
some helpful hints
http://www.japan-cheap-travel.com/introduction-budget.html

http://thriftynomads.com/6-tips-to-travel-japan-on-the-cheap/
>>
Sell some shit, you're gonna need more money if you want to be comfortable, make some money and save it before then if you can.
>>
Been there, done that.

My recommendation would actually be to gtfo out of tokyo and stay around osaka/kansai area.

A cheap room for both of you in Nishinari ward, osaka would run you around 20 dollar/night. Thats actually cheaper than staying in an Internet Cafe and also way cheaper than a hostel.
Osaka is also a great hub for trips to kyoto/kobe/koya/Nara, all just 30-60 mins away so fares for the train won't cost you that much. You could even rent a bicycle in Osaka and go there yourself.

For food I would recommend you to get some bento boxes / onigiri or even plain cooked rice at the these big flashy supermarkets all around osaka, called Super Tamade. You can also check some ordinary supermarkets shortly before closing time for some sweet half price lunchboxes.
>>
>>1168519
>Showstring budget travel isn't even worth the hassle,

Maybe, to some folks, it is. I'd rather travel on a tight budget than not travel at all. But if it does not seem worth it to you, don't do it.

>Everybody is now happy.
>>
>>1167398
fucking retard, don't skimp on food, that's the best thing about japan, everything is so fresh because the trains are fast and runs everywhere
>>
>>1169384
there are different levels of budget, instant noodles tier isn't worth it

how much was tickets btw? from where?

capsule hotels are great to sleep
>>
Kind of hijacking this thread for a second. Me and a friend have actually been saving up to go to Japan for some time now and I'm at about $3000 right now (I believe he has $4000).

I was thinking I could have money to buy stuff and live comfortably and travel for 2 weeks if I saved up $4000 in total (plane ticket being around 800, lodging 700, food 450, travel 250, with some extra money for spending and in case of emergencies). Does this sound like a decent estimate to people here?
>>
you don't stand a sliver of a chance, I spent about double that amount for two weeks with airbnb for one person. time to call mom and ask for money. I guess you can go to the cheapest slum of japan and live on rice and tap water
>>
File: Matsuya-Fastfood-528.jpg (98KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
Matsuya-Fastfood-528.jpg
98KB, 600x400px
Besides cheap suppermarket food, Tokyo is filled with tons of japanese fast food chains. You can get good meals for less than 600 yen.

pic related: Matsuya.
>>
>>1169521
>there are different levels of budget, instant noodles tier isn't worth it

This. OP has no emergency funds either. So if anything goes wrong the entire budget is fucked.
>>
>>1169549
Things going wrong and having to adapt is part of the fun for me. I never have special emergency funds and I just try to find solutions on the go.
I travel to get away from normal living with shit always being predetermined and set out for you. I like the constant pressure of the unkown and being completely fucked and somehow still makeing it is absolutely part of the fun.

>>1167398
Everything will always be fine. Its almost impossible to fuck up enough to have long term damage done to yourself and you will always come out of a hairy situation as a better person.

1500$ sounds like a shitton of money for 35 days, but I havent been to Japan, so I dont know how possible it is to live for almost nothing there.
Ive met people who traveled for weeks while spending double digits amounts of money, just by couchsurfing and hitchhiking.

If you dont need to live in luxury every day (which starts with needing an actual bed to sleep in) you will definitely be fine.
Just ask yourself whats the worst that could happen! You have your flight back so literally the worst thing to happen is that you are homeless for a few nights and thats not even likely to happen if youre not terrible with money.
>>
>>1169556
it's 1500 for two people. 20$ per day without accomondation. let's say they live in some real shithole for 10$ per day, that leaves 10$ per day to have a vacation.
they will sit at home and eat rice and instant ramen on that budget. what will happen is that they will burrow money from their parents.
>>
>>1167530
>>1168418
Might be worth looking in to manga cafes.
>>
>>1169589
I can easily travel for 20$ per day or in fact I just did. All things considered it was Morocco and not Japan but I didnt exactly save my money either.

OP just needs to couchsurf/wwoof a bunch and enjoy spending 20 bucks per day on streetfood and things like museums that arent too expensive (the small unknown ones are usually the best ones anyways) and just relax for 35 days. Or thats what I would do.
>>
File: ss (2016-10-07 at 07.47.21).png (24KB, 566x178px) Image search: [Google]
ss (2016-10-07 at 07.47.21).png
24KB, 566x178px
>>1169646
>all things considered it was a muslim third world shithole and not the fifth most expensive country in the world just live like a hobo lol
>>
>>1167398
>150.000 yens for the two of us
>35 days
Not if you wan't to enjoy yourselves in anyway. 150k would be good enough for 1 person but 2 is pushing it, you won't starve to death but it probably isn't going to be very enjoyable.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.