[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Really sick of cities

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

File: image.png (153KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
153KB, 750x1334px
So I posted this itinerary several months back when I was in the "planning" stages of this eurotrip thing, and at least one of you did warn me that this was too much time in cities but I didn't really know what else to do, sure enough I'm one month in (Brussels atm) and just super tired of shuttling from city to city, honestly they're starting to blur together a little. My question is: where would you suggest I go next? I'm not really set on Amsterdam anymore, I'm thinking of just skipping it and trying to get down to the black forest or alps for some peace and quiet. What town/areas specifically would be good? It needs to be accessible by public transportation, and have semi-affordable accommodation (<€100 is ideal). Just somewhere with nice day hikes and fresh air I guess? Or if you have a totally different suggestion I'm open to hearing it.

(Sorry if this is poorly written/formatted, only brought a phone with me >.<)
>>
>>1167122
I think you just need a vacation.

When I do a lot of city hopping, every 3rd day or day and a half are "flop days" to just swim at the hotel, dine and walk, maybe a spa or massage. Sleeping in. Nothing to do with the city so much as what I would do for myself on a weekend. Getting off my feet, seeing a film, planning my next...meal. Nothing too much exciting. Reading a book. If money is a problem, it doesn't feel like a useful use of your daily hotel rate, but pamper your feet, and plan your next move after a mental health break of self indulgence. Instead of just tourist stuff, do something like plan to attend a concert venue/small club show.
>>
>>1167122
So for Hikes and accommodation below 100€ and accessible with public transport

Colmar, France
>still a city but quiet. great Alsace food and wine yet you're out in the nature in no times
Igels, Austria
>It's above innsbruck (20min bus ride), a small and comfy little city where hikes start right outside of your hotel.
Bregenz, Austria
>it's a city but again it's small and nature starts within the city limit. Great starting point for hikes or day trips to the Arlberg mountains, if you want it more quiet go to Hohen Ems
Herrsching am Ammersee, Germany
>1h train ride from munich, super comfy place bavarian food and great nature...
Elm, Switzerland
>small mostly wintersport village in Glarus, about 1.5h away from zurich, Great for hikes and outdoor stuff but almost zero night life. For Swiss prices still affordable so there's that.

Where ever you go, enjoy it bro.
>>
>>1167122
You can generally do pretty well by looking for day trips from cities.
>>
Sorry, back again, also sorry for the run on sentences in the OP, again stuck on mobile

>>1167131

I mean I've sort of been doing those every few days, but I just end up feeling guilty the whole time that I'm "wasting" so much money and not "doing" anything, idk. A spa might be nice but I'm probably too self conscious about my gross body to actually go to one desu

>>1167134

Wow that's a lot of suggestions, thank you. trying to look into all of them, which is your personal favorite?

>>1167143

What sort of nature day trips would you recommend from the cities on the itinerary? Is there an ideal "hub city" that would have several good options? I'm sort of overwhelmed with this
>>
File: Colmar.jpg (4MB, 4768x2709px) Image search: [Google]
Colmar.jpg
4MB, 4768x2709px
>>1167249
Hard to decide on a favorit, as I live in Zurich and all those places are about 1-3h away so I go there or in those regions often for a weekend.

It completely depends on what would be your number one priority so that would help.

If you have never been in the Alsace region, go for Colmar. It's special as the region ha it's own culture (a mix of german and french and their own dialect that is almost swiss german). And it's somewhat off of your itinerary so there's that.
Alt of the other places would fit your travel plan as they're near planed destinations.
>>
Stop being weak and just deal with it. I only had these so called 'break days' once every 2 weeks of city hopping travel. If you are sticking to the current route, you should check out the tatra mountains in Slovakia on the border to Poland. Or if you are less /out/ and willing to do a detour, Abisko in far north Sweden has some of the best hiking in Europe. Costs much more but damn was it worth it
>>
If you go to the alps be prepared for cold and rainy weather. I´d rather head down to the mediterranean sea if you´re looking for comfy places. There are tons of small towns and villages along the coast and I guess now in the off-season prices will be significantly lower than during summer. In the most southern parts of europe you can propably still go for a swim in the sea.
>>
>>1167134
>>1167278
I have been in Colmar a couple of times to visit some friends who lived there, and while it was too calm for my tastes, it's a cute little city. We took a bus to Wintzenheim and hiked there, it was pretty cool. I would recommend it, Alsace is pretty different from the rest of France.

Otherwise, I personally in Grenoble, near Switzerland and Italy, and while the city is surrounded by mountains which are appreciated by hikers, I wouldn't recommend it to you because, it's not quiet, not very good-looking, and not very exciting either. But there are Annecy and Chambéry between Grenoble and Switzerland, which might be more suited for you. I never went there, but I heard Savoy looks good and that there is something called the Cirque de Saint-Même (kek) which is worth visiting. Maybe the Swiss anon could tell us more about this region.
>>
Sorry, just been super busy, bumping this so I can hopefully respond to everyone a little later
>>
I'm also going to tell you to check out Colmar. Beautiful city with vinyards and mountains surrounding it. We rented bikes and biked through the Vosges mountains. There are also other beautiful small towns in Alsace that you can bike to like Riquewihr and Ribeauville
>>
>>1168960
Just to add to that, 3 days should be enough time to spend in Colmar
>>
File: download.png (552KB, 700x320px) Image search: [Google]
download.png
552KB, 700x320px
Don't skip Slovenia! Go camp out at Lake Bled.

Also, the HR Giger bar in Switzerland. Pic related
>>
>>1167122
Dude if y can make it, I can recommend y to (min) 10 days for Istanbul + 1 week for Eastern Turkey (Diyarbakir, Hatay, Gaziantep, Van) + 1 for
Mediterranean (Antalya(Kaş+Kemer, Fethiye, Marmaris,Bodrum) and 1 week for Blacksea (Bolu, Trabzon, Rize)
>>
>>1169165
Paris is not that good bro, just go for 4 days thats enough. Y can go to Marseille or Nice..
>>
>>1167122
There's nothing wrong visiting all those cities, but you also want to visit stuff outside the cities. Eg. Go hiking, visit some natural parks, lakes, waterfalls or countryside villages.

However, you currently have some issues going on:

- You're currently in the most western part of europe: main sightseeing stuff is primarily in the cities here.

- Its October: everything above the alps is going to be cold and rainy, even southern europe is getting pretty cold. All outside and countryside visits will be less fun as well.

- Brussels, Belgium: Not the best city to visit, specially after Paris. After seeing the city highlights, you pretty much want to get out of these places. Overpriced, dirty and filled with low-income immigrants from Algeria, Marocco etc. (Dont have anything against them, but its simply a demografic trend which deteriorates the authenticity and beauty of a city do to their poverty and lack of integration). Should prolly have picked Gent, Bruges or Hasselt instead.

- Amsterdam: I would personally not skip it, just try to fit it in a later point in time since it is a nice city to visit.
>>
>>1168956

Alright sorry, back again. In Cologne now, for one night, very unsure of where to go next. I was going to cruise down the rhine next but it is so freezing and cloudy and miserable here that I'm thinking of just flying straight to Italy or something and trying to catch a break there somehow. I realize this is a slow board and I'm unlikely to get good advice in time for tomorrow morning, but any would be appreciated at this point.

>>1169171

I did go to bruges after for 2 nights, wasn't really my style, planned to at least stop in ghent but I was honestly so sick of the area I just skipped it (and Amsterdam, for now), might have been a mistake but idk

>>1169165

I have no strict time limit in Turkey I guess since it's not in the schengen, I just have some safety concerns about it (solo white small teenage girl)

But yeah besides that it seems like a beautiful country and I'd love to explore it!

>>1168960
>>1167278

I've never been to alsace, I imagine the weather is about the same as here right now? Also can I get by without speaking French or no? Maybe I'll have to save it for the next trip in warmer weather. It does look lovely though!

I have to go find dinner before everything closes, so maybe I'll do another comment later, sorry if I didn't respond to everyone.
>>
>>1167122
Go to Doug's Mountain Getaway outside of Innsbruck in Fulpmes. P good. There's a monastery you can climb to that will serve you beer. Marienwald or something
>>
>>1167389
Don't know about sweden, but in norway you can put up a tent annywhere as long as it's 100 m from there House (30 if the house is by water) so norway is supercheap to hike in. Also norwegians are much more plessant in the mountains
>>
>>1169332
Alsace (especially Colmar) is known to be a very sunny and dry part of France, but you're right, with winter looming you might want to save it for another time
>>
>>1169669
... and French and German are mostly spoken there. Some restaurants will have servers that speak English there but it's the less spoken out of the 3
>>
Sorry, bumping one more time so I can respond again once I find a place to crash later
>>
Alright, I'm in Rome now, it's a bit warmer here but I still haven't really had a real "break" besides sleeping late. I could go to some beach on the coast I guess but I'd probably be too insecure to wear a swimsuit in public desu >.<

Still open to any suggestions, otherwise I guess I'll just continue on to naples or florence soon
>>
>>1172257
Go to Naples. Go to Capri or procida. Beautiful islands where you can relax.
>>
File: P1010375.jpg (6MB, 4320x3240px) Image search: [Google]
P1010375.jpg
6MB, 4320x3240px
>>1173791
>Capri
Was really amazed by the beauty of this island. Didn´t want to go there first because it sounded like a totally overrated place but I ended up enjoing it way more than the amalfi coast. Only downside is that its really fucking expensive. But I guess its propably cheaper and more quiet in autumn. If you can find a affordable place to stay I would definetly stay there for a few days and just stroll around the island.
>>
First time posting, sorry for the wall haha.

I spent 2 months backpacking around Europe back in April and felt the same way. Cities you're just seeing a lot of buildings, so after you've seen the city center get out and explore. In Prague I found a huge park after climbing some stairs to the North of the center and found a pro weed legalization concert thing going on.
I'd recommend hitting up Baden-Baden in Germany if you're willing to go that way. The accommodation was pretty limited+pricey so I stayed in Buhl at an AirBnB. Made my way to Ottenhofen a few days after which is in the middle of nowhere in black forest. Stayed with Carlo and Bigi on AirBnB and TOTALLY recommend if you go that route. The train station is by their house too.
Also, definitely don't skip Amsterdam.
>>
>>1167122
BUD let's hitchhike and camp with us, from Spain through france and get to the Netherlands

It's me +1 friend, you'll spend only a ticket from Brussels~Madrid.

Then we could go to Germany, Swiz, EE

JUST DO IT
>>
>>1174018
>>1167122
Why don't you get couchsurfing in some small Dutch cities?

I did Amsterdam-Leiden-Hague-Delft-Rotterdam, it was cool and spent ~15eu per day (except in Memesterdam 300eu/day)
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.