[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Small habits in different countries

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 243
Thread images: 15

File: 55296856557.png (205KB, 932x1167px) Image search: [Google]
55296856557.png
205KB, 932x1167px
Ever since I started traveling, I've always been interested in those small yet significant details, like when do people brush their teeth and when do they eat.

It's usually the thing that I notice the most; sure, the whole culture and society might be different, but that's something you expect. I never expect to see how different people behave when crossing the streets or showering.

I'm interested in those small differences we usually overlook. When do you brush your teeth? How many times a day?

I even made a small poll with a couple questions (I'll probably post the data here if some of you guys are interested) on here: docs. google. com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfVoTSSXXJnM8jCzef28FxLy4dXeU0_ifUgJvQTrM32QXH9WA

Which small details have struck you the most when traveling to another country? I'll say the "absolutely no jaywalking" and "everyone pays cash for everything" I encountered in Germany really struck me.
>>
Everyone pays with cash in Germany? Weird, I thought it'd be one of the more advanced countries in that regard.

I like how in North Africa if you greet one person in a certain way, that's the way you greet everyone else in their group. In America I'll shake hands with the person I know best and just nod to everyone else, but in the Maghreb (and maybe in all muslim countries, I dunno) you take the time to give an intimate greeting to every single person in the room.
>>
In Korea everyone carries a toothbrush with them and brushes immediately after everymeal. Even at work. There's a community toothpaste tube, as is with everything else consumable. I don't think they ever floss though.

Koreans are incredibly superstitious about everything so they have some strange but interesting habits.

One drop of rain warrants an umbrella

When signing for debit/credit cards they just put a small line or letter on the writing pad, they never write their name or take it seriously.

Standing up if somebody is leaving. (Think dinner setting) then bowing.

They worry a lot about getting a cold from literal cold weather but then eat food from a communal pot of food or soup where everyone uses chopsticks and spoons in their mouths. Double dipping isn't taboo.

Fan death (google it)
>>
>When signing for debit/credit cards they just put a small line or letter on the writing pad, they never write their name or take it seriously.

This I never got. What's the point of signing the receipt after a credit card transaction? I've never had to do that in Europe.
>>
File: 1417883899869.png (433KB, 620x542px)
1417883899869.png
433KB, 620x542px
>debit card has 5 digit pin
>atm only asks for 4
>>
>>1166941
I guess it is a holdover from the idea that you are entering into a contract to be responsible to pay the card issuer.
>>
>>1166941
Americans don't use chip and PIN for credit cards like the rest of the world for whatever reason, so you sign it to prove that the true owner used the card in the event of fraud.

Up in Canada we always use PIN codes even for small purchases (though we have tap now) and in northern Europe they just don't use credit cards.
>>
I noticed that in many central asian countries (the stans) it's considered rude to blow your nose at the dining table, they go to the bathroom and do it there
>>
>>1166926
That's because it's wrong. People don't pay with cash that much in Germany. Older people yes, but anyone below 30 rarely does it anymore.
>>
>>1167058
That's bullshit though. Plenty of people still prefer cash here even though card-cucks have certainly been on the rise.

t. German
>>
>>1166926
>In America I'll shake hands with the person I know best and just nod to everyone else
Really? I would consider it impolite here in Slovakia. I prefer to greet everyone the same way - so if there's big group, even if it were customary to shake hands, Ill just say Hi for the convenience.

>>1166939
>In Korea everyone carries a toothbrush with them and brushes immediately after everymeal.
Really?

>>1166941
In Slovakia almost everyone uses debit and you never sign that. But occasionally when someone has credit card you sign the receipt.

>>1167058
>>1167059
Same here, you cannot really generalize. Card use is on the rise but there is group of people (myself included) which will always prefer cash.

And I will add its considered rude not to remove your shoes after entering someones house.

>pic not really related
>>
>>1167078
At my work all my korean coworkers have tooth brushes there at school. My gf brushes teeth after sex. They take it really seriously. Obviously they're not lugging around tooth brushes on the street.
>>
>>1167058
>That's because it's wrong. People don't pay with cash that much in Germany.
Well I can't speak for the whole of Germany, but where I've been (South-West), I almost never paid with cards because most places didn't accept it. Of course your local Burger King or Lidl is going to accept credit cards, but I often found myself in restaurant, pubs, bakeries and whatnot, having to pay cash because they didn't have a card reader.

I also noticed that in most places I could buy some stuff at a bakery or kebab and pay a 2 or 3 euro bill with a €50 note and no one would care. This isn't something you can usually do in France.
>>
>>1166926
>>1167058
http://thelongandshort.org/society/war-on-cash
Personally, I was pretty annoyed when I saw that you couldn't pay with cash at the Paradiso in Amsterdam.
I often pay with my credit card in my home country, but it's nice to have both options.
Giving change back isn't that hard, even when you are drunk serving drinks behind a counter.
>>
>>1166939
Had a Korean girl sleep over my dorm, she was legit afraid of dying because I leave the fan on when I sleep.
>>
>>1166926
>>1167058
>>1167101 (cont.)
This article is more relevant, actually : http://qz.com/262595/why-germans-pay-cash-for-almost-everything/?utm_source=qzfbarchive
>>
File: 1475138096171.png (215KB, 393x374px) Image search: [Google]
1475138096171.png
215KB, 393x374px
>>1166939
>googled fan death
>>
Nothing major, but in Italy all locks are made so that the pointy bits of the key (no idea what it's called) point upward. Back home it's downward.
>>
Oh boy where do i start

Having a hot and a cold faucet for one sink instead of just a single faucet in the UK. This is fucking dumb.

Germans (and overall alot of europeans but them especially) absolutely refusing to jaywalk EVER, even if its like 2am and not a single car in sight. Infact they look at me like i just murdered someone while screaming sieg heil when i do so.

Koreans wearing an inch of makeup, even the guys. And traveling with a hardshell rolling case that could easily fit a body or two, AND a travel pack, AND a backpack. Theyll also have every minute of every day planned and cataloged on laminated spreadsheets with several redundant backup copies. Overall the weirdest nationality by far imo.

Aussies being cunts (in good and bad ways). Really absolutely no surprise here, and honestly not a problem as long as you can pull the piss back and more importantly they arnt dwelling in your home/business.

I also noticed central europe really doesnt like credit cards. Bog chains take them but thats it, literally no where else will.

Lights for a bathroom being outside the bathroom is another common one. Never understood that logic but hey whatever.

Out of ideas here so ill just shoot a little list of people that grind my fucking gears regardless of nationality:

People that take puerto rican shows AKA spray themselves with bodyspray for a solid 15 seconds. Especially when the dorm has little ventilation.

On the opposite side, people that apparently shower NEVER and the entire room reaks of BO. I get it, we are all traveling, some corners get cut, but fuck dude i shouldnt be able to smell you across the room.

People that close the windows in a hot as balls room because of the noise yet they dont wear earplugs. Fuck you especially.

Rolling cases/bags in general. Really dont have a good reason but i just dont like them or the people that use them unless theyre old.

People who snore really fucking loud. Like, the next room can hear you type loud.
>>
>>1166922
I am German and always pay in cash.
I hate how American cashiers give you back change. They take the paper money, put the receipt on top of it, then the change on top of that, and give that to you in your hand. Like wtf am I supposed to do with that, just give them to me in order one at a time, not all at once.
>>1166926
>Everyone pays with cash in Germany?
>Weird, I thought it'd be one of the more advanced countries in that regard.
It is advanced. Americucks letting themselves get tracked by the NSA think they're "advanced", baka

>>1167058
Everyone pays with cash in Germany, except you I guess
>>
>>1167186
You forgot about those cunts that wake you up at 5:30am to pack their bigass backpacks instead of packing it the night before
>>
>>1167186
>Rolling cases/bags in general.
Ever had to carry a 20 kilo bag plus carry-on backpack for a few kilometers? Rolling is way easier.
>People who snore really fucking loud.
Like anyone snores by choice. It's a medical condition.
>>
>>1167186
>Germans (and overall alot of europeans but them especially) absolutely refusing to jaywalk EVER
This is one of the most overblown clichés ever. I've been living in Germany for over 6 years, in three different cities, and I see people jaywalk (and run red lights while on their bikes) on at least weekly basis. Granted, it's never on busy main streets during daytime, and most Germans will adhere to the 'not around kids' thing. But side streets, at off-peak hours and at night, or when no one is otherwise around -- yes, they jaywalk like it ain't a thang. This stereotype needs to die already.

And as for Germans 'never' paying with anything cash, although several people have already said it... well it's a cliché, but it's mostly true. Germans prefer to pay by cash. These days of course, you can pay by card at most places if you want, and it's becoming more common. Exception being small independent shops, of course -- but they have to pay banks and the card companies for the 'privilege' so I don't blame them. I have to say that even before I moved here, I thought it was fucking weird and kind of a waste of time to pay for your coffee or burger with a card. Just go to an ATM faggots. I only pay by card if it's something over 20-30€ and I won't easily be able to go to an ATM later... clothes, electronics, larger grocery trips. Meals and small purchases I almost always pay with cash, and I really think this is the norm from almost everyone I know.
>>
>>1167056
As it should be. No one wants to hear you honking and spraying your nose slime all over a rag that you shove in your pocket or leave on the table. I was raised to blow my nose in a conscientious way, and I'm not central Asian.
>>
>>1167293

Why the flying fuck are you carrying 44 pounds of bullshit several kilometers ot better yet at all? Seriously, wtf do you even carry to make it that heavy? Gallon jugs of water? Sandbags? Several lead weights? Im just baaaarely hitting 10kg with my pack and thats with several changes of cloths, a book or two, rocks ive collected from cool places, my water bottle, and all the typical gear youd normally find.

Im honestly curious wtf youre bringing with you. Do you simply pack every belonging in your possession just in case? I really dont get it. Dont even throw that camping gear bullshit at me because nobody hikes with a rolling case, let alone one that weighs 20kg.

Also fuck loud snorers. As i said i get it, its not their fault. But if your condition is fucking up everyone elses time, you either get that shit fixed or dont stay in dorms. People shouldnt have to suffer on behalf of other peoples problems. If youre aware you are a loud snorer, youre a cunt if you stay im a dorm and make no attempt to lessen it with those nose strips. Nobody likes a selfish cunt and thats exactly what loud snorers are for forcing others to deal with their bullshit so they can save a bit of money for themselves.
>>
>>1166926

I'm an American staying in India long-term. However, back in the States, I spent about two years working with Russian Turks. They're all from Krasnodar Krai and have their own culture which is distinct both from that of their ethnicity and their birthplace. It's an odd blending of Russian, Turkish, and Central Asian influences.

It's the same deal with them as what you've described in the Maghreb. If I walk into my office and there are ten guests there, I have to go around the circle and shake hands with everybody. If I don't, it's interpreted as a sign of disrespect.

They're also very communal. If I go out for lunch and bring a sandwich and chips back with me, I have to offer it to everyone there. Very rarely do they take a serving of either, but they'll think I'm an ass if I don't at least make the gesture. They do the same as well - if they have anything, they offer it to everyone who's nearby.

It's nice but it also gets annoying.
>>
>>1167466

Are these really such foreign concepts? Not being a sarcastic dickhead just curious. Im american and i suppose i dont follow those cultural nuaces to a T but they certainly exist to me.

Idk maybe its just my family? For me its rude to eat infront of peers/coworkers/friends/etc if they arnt also eating or if you dont offer them some. Its not really like you are obligated to feed them but rather just to let them have a taste of what you are having. However i dont consider it rude when people eat infront of me without offering, since it is indeed their food, but for me i either offer some of what i have or wait patiently until im alone or they also have food.

This isnt really a hard rule but when having guests at your home its totally unacceptable to eat infront of a guest and not offer any. You have to share, usually a bit more, or you wait until they are gone to eat. If you simply dont have enough and you need to eat, you have to at least appologize for not having enough to share, and if possible offer a drink/snack/etc as consolation. In these circumstances i absolutely follow that rule, and do find it rude of someone eats infront of me without doing any of the above while im staying as a guest with them. I dont take it personally and get all offended at them but i would infact think less of that person for having poor manners. Again is this really uncommon for americans and westerners as a whole? For me (born and raised and lived in new york my whole life) its extremely basic manners, the kind of stuff you never even think about really because its so basic. Most of my friends also follow this to some extent as well, except for my best friend (this going both ways) because we go out of our ways to be total assholes to eachother.

Another food thing is that in general you should always offer something to drink to anyone in your home, regardless of who they are or why they are there. If possible you also should offer a snack. For me its very rude not to.
>>
>>1167463

I just traveled home from the US to Europe, and my suitcase was 37lbs according to the scale.
Contained about 10 full sets of clothes, a towel, bathroom stuff, a big jar full of sand, and a few other things
>>
>>1167476

Thats insane! Were you backpacking or moving to study or what? For how long?

10 sets of cloths is a crazy amount to have. I think i have maybe 4 sets, plus a few extra shirts and an extra set of underwear/socks.

I cant even imagine lugging that much shit around lol. Ive been bouncing around europe for like 9 weeks or so and i feel like my bag is too heavy and bulky (40L mainpack, ~20lbs).

Some seriously different mentalities. Why so much? I feel like even if i was moving i wouldnt even bring that much. Hell i dont think i even own 10 sets of clothinf.
M
>>
>>1167206
>They take the paper money, put the receipt on top of it, then the change on top of that, and give that to you in your hand. Like wtf am I supposed to do with that, just give them to me in order one at a time, not all at once.

German autism in action, my friends
>>
>>1166926
Privacy concerns: cant be tracked.
>>
>>1167463
>>1167293
when i go mountaineering i can carry up to that weight for miles, isnt that bad.
>>
>>1166926
It's the same in France, the greeting thing I mean.
>>
>>1167463
wooow...a REAL traveler here guys...he only needs a 10kg backpack

hahaha fuck all those fucking CASUAL as fuck "travelers" with suitcases xD
>>
>>1167531
what a load of shit
Supermarkets, electronic stores, clothing, department stores - they're all dominated by card payment nowadays and don't try to act like they weren't.
Thing is that nobody in Germany uses credit cards but debit.
>>
>>1167483
When you, say, go to work to a remote location for several winter months you need to take more stuff, particularly warm clothes. Not everyone travels to a vacation, you know. 10 sets of clothes is way too much, though.
>>
File: image.jpg (260KB, 502x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
260KB, 502x600px
In Russia, smiling to strangers or in a business meeting could be treated in a very negative way. There's even a proverb "smiling like a fool". For some reason people think you're either a baka Ivan in you smile, or you're laughing at them.
It's not a meme. I work in a international company and I fucked up a few times upon my return after an extensive business trip
>>
>>1167527
that pisses me off too, and I'm not from Germany

In Slovenia, you get offered at least 3 pair of slippers to choose from when you come to visit. Also, if you leave any door open just a little bit, most of the people in the room will get a feeling of breeze and cold, even if there isn't one at all. You have to climb Triglav once in your lifetime to be able to call yourself a true Slovene, most of your hobbies at home involve repairing something, gardening or other household chores. And lastly, your view your neighbor's grass greener than your own.

Oh, almost forgot. Everyone has a natural affinity for alcohol around here.
>>
>>1167314
Underappreciated post.
>>
>>1167836
In Spain you don't take your shoes off at all, people would think you're being rude getting "too comfortable" in their home
>>
In Australia it's considered rude not to present a gift of a local beast for your host. In exchange for safe passage and perhaps a bed you have to slaughter a creature (maybe a bunyip or something) to keep the local population safe and it's a total dick move not to.
>>
>>1167992
banterrrr xD
>>
>>1167985
Don't mean to shit on your tradition m8, but what's the point of inviting someone to your home if you don't want them to be comfortable? And don't you hate cleaning that shit up when they leave?
>>
Finns sound like robots.

Seriously, they speak in the most monotonous way I've ever encountered.
>>
Chinese people don't use deodorant.
Once I was in a hostel in a room with three chinese girls and noticed that.
Since I give no fucks I asked directly and they said that since they don't have body hair they dont need it
>>
>>1167527
Well look how far they have come after two major defeats in the recent history. If Germans are "autists" I want to be one too.

>>1167531
Actually euro banknotes have RFID chips inside them (try to microwave one). If there were enough effort, they could be tracked.

>>1167728
This. I was in Russia and smiled at the shop clerks and they just gave me weird looks.

>>1167836
>a natural affinity for alcohol around here
Goes for all EU basically perhaps except south
>pic related

>>1168021
What? No fucking way.

>>1168023
Deodorant is not a norm, is it?
>>
>>1168402
>Well look how far they have come after two major defeats in the recent history. If Germans are "autists" I want to be one too.

Not hard to come so far when you are a cold calculating autist.

>>1167836
But you are on 4Chan, so you are inclined to be an autist as well
>>
>>1168023
>>1168402

>East Asians (Chinese, Koreans, and Japanese) have fewer apocrine sweat glands (armpits, groin and earwax glands) compared to people of other descent, and the lack of these glands make East Asians less prone to body odor.[16][17]

i knew i had read it somewhere, they don't use it since they never really need it
>>
>>1167314
One thing that struck me when visiting Vienna is that no one ever crossed the street on a red light.
I've seen it quite a bit in Germany, but in Vienna I haven't seen anyone doing it, ever. Me and my mates were stared at when we did it, like we were murderers or something.
I'm french and here crossing on a red light is the norm if it's safe to go.
>>
>>1166922

Western countries are so dead and abandoned apart from the capitals. It's like everyone is a zombie that spends his entire day at either work or at home. That's what I love about the rest of the world the most, the energy of the people living there is amazing, it's as if they are truly alive whereas we are just going through the motions with dead looks on our faces.
>>
>>1168822
To be completely honest, if you go to any country beyond the larger cities, it's always relatively sparse and fucking dead.

But just as in the west, this peace and quiet can something sought after.

You might find these places more lively just because they are quite exotic, but really, they're just as boring.
>>
>>1167463
You do realize not everyone is traveling for tourism, right ?

I live abroad, everytime I go from my homecountry to where I live, I've got two 23 kg suitcases filled to the brim with food for me, food and stuff for friends who stayed abroad, electronics I cannot find there, some extra clothes and random stuff (from sports equipment to subwoofer).

Try to fit that in a backpack.

Also, other reasons :
- people can have a back condition,
- a rolling suitcase looks a LOT more professional than a backpack, and you don't want to mess up your arm with a handheld bag if you're going to work later in the day,
- the measurements are pretty standard so airlines won't fuck with you because it's too big to be taken as carry-on,
- honestly, why do you care if some people want to look goofy.
>>
>>1168829
...not that guy but why the fuck are you carrying around a subwoofer?
>>
>>1168878
> not carrying your subwoofer in the backpack
I don't know man, are you, like, in a 3rd world country
>>
File: life in the west.jpg (177KB, 720x364px) Image search: [Google]
life in the west.jpg
177KB, 720x364px
>>1168824

Travel more. I have travelled all over South America, Asia and Africa and those places are ten times more lively compared to the Occident. Even the smaller places. You are talking out of your ass. Zombies, zombies everywhere.
>>
In Brazil we bath everyday, sometimes more than once a day and the rest of the world think this is dumb for no reason at all
>>
>>1168982
Probably because you still stink, I dunno
>>
>>1168878
>>1168889
Living in a place with ridiculous import taxes, so I saved 300 USD by importing subwoofer and audio gear in my suitcase.

It's always quite a scene at the airport really, because everyone does that. There are often people with suitcases beyond the weight limit open them at the counter and it's like they travel with an entire Radioshack + a western grocery store.
>>
>>1168999
> a bath a week french hobo detected
stay salty

>>1168977
south america is occident friend. Also only tourist spots are lively in Brazil, the true small cities (50k< people) with nothing to do are all dead except for the main Bar / street
>>
In upstate New York, you have to have pizza with wings. It's haram to have one without the other.

In Chicago, a pizza is like a lasagne without pasta, its about 5cm thick and a full size one can feed 4-6 people.

In Sweden everyone eats their own pizza and you don't choose your own toppings, there's a menu of like 50 pizzas with set toppings, you choose one of those.

In Japan, pizza is an expensive luxury that you maybe order on your birthday. A pizza will cost you like $60 USD.

The only places in Europe that serve pepperoni pizza are domino's and pizza hut.

Swedish people put crazy shit like bananas, mussels, crayfish, kebab meat, curry powder, and peanuts on the pizza. Southern europeans have a total of maybe 6 things that are "allowed " on pizza including sauce and cheese.

There's a Pizza Hut in every European and Asian country. Usually it's nothing like the local pizza.

Pizzas in Israel scream when you put them in the oven
>>
>>1169201
- The NY pizza thing is bs. People just really like side orders whereas sides dont really exist in west euro.
- The no peperoni pizza in west euro is also bs. Sometimes they just call it salami or spicy sausage or something. Americans tend to forget euro countries have a huge selection of sausages (and cheeses) as opposed to the 2 or 3 types you find in basic US shops.

>kek at jew pizza's
>>
>>1169201
>Pizzas in Israel scream when you put them in the oven
what
>>
>>1169201

Topkek
>>
>>1169237
tis a joke.
>>
>>1169209
Nigga you haven't been to Buffalo or Albany. Show up with a pizza and no wings, they'll ask you if the pizzeria was out of wings. Remember Buffalo invented BBQ wings
>>
I'm from Ohio and I've noticed outside the Midwest if I speak to random people on the street or compliment strangers I get weird looks
>>
>>1168977
We've got a RealTraveler™ here, fellas.

I've traveled to many places, each as remote as exotic. My point remains. Western countryside is boring, yes, so is the rest of the world's.

You just don't seem very good at adjusting to western country life and finding things to do, that's all.
>>
>>1166922
A big area of difference is around hygiene - what's considered acceptable and the relative importance of different aspects. Both through travel and living with various peoples I've picked up:

Vietnamese will have immaculately clean clothes, but leave raw uncovered meat on the bench for hours/days (but then boil the shit out of it).

Americans shower twice a day but have no issues wearing their dogshit-encrusted shoes inside.

Japanese spend hours in the bathroom and have 5 different sets of slippers, but when they eat it's a noisy, messy affair.

Chinese keep clean houses and worry so much about being clean on the inside, but have no problems leaving spit, piss and shit in public areas.
>>
>>1167985
>>1168003

Portuguese guy over here. Recently I had some romanian exchange students at my home and we had to tell them that they can keep the shoes on.

For us southerners, you keep the shoes as we don't want feet stink, we all use shoes inside our homes (we don't have mud or snow so no problem) and guests shouldn't be too relaxed while visiting. They're guest not the king of the house.
>>
English pubs tend to be very stingy with the ice in water. A lot of Britbongs like their water room temperature, for some reason.

Restaurants in England don't refill your drinks at restaurants unless you ask, from what I've seen.

There's a sauce, mainly in Idaho and Utah, called "fry sauce," which is usually just ketchup and mayo mixed together. Sometimes there's some other spices.

Confederate flags are relatively common in the midwest, which really seems ironic to me.

Idaho hosts nearly as many Mormons percentage-wise as Utah.

People from Seattle are cunts.
>>
A lot of the women in Cambodia wear pyjamas out in the street, regardless of what they're doing. Kinda cool.
>>
>>1169473
>Confederate flags are relatively common in the midwest, which really seems ironic to me.
I'm from Ohio and can confirm. Don't tread on me and confederate flags often are flown side by side. You can hear people shooting in the night if you live within a few miles of a gun range.

Overall, I'm really glad I'm not a minority because I'd be fucking terrified of a lynching.
>>
>>1167314
In my case I always try to pay with my credit card because I get lifemiles points which I later trade for plane tickets you fucking mongoloid

Nobody fucking cares if you think is weird to pay for a soda with a credit card
>>
>>1169679
why are you getting upset at someone for expressing their opinion on a forum
simmer down bucko
>>
Chinese people are avid smokers but only ever smoke half the cigarette
>>
>>1169209

>The no peperoni pizza in west euro is also bs. Sometimes they just call it salami or spicy sausage or something.

That's literally a different ingredient you fucktard.

There is no pepperoni in Europe because it's a shitty american invention. Salami is superior in every way.
>>
>>1170195
europoors can't afford peperoni

its cured meat with a lot of fat. its not that different. salami is superior in all ways except on pizza.
>>
>>1167206
A lot of people don't like to be handed one thing at a time because it's slower. They like the change on top of everything to slide the change into your pocket or purse. Receipt is easy enough to separate from the cash or just tell the cashier you don't want your receipt.
>>
If you go to the cinema in Thailand you have to stand for the kings anthem before the movie starts.
>>
>>1169201
>In Sweden everyone eats their own pizza and you don't choose your own toppings, there's a menu of like 50 pizzas with set toppings, you choose one of those.

same in Germany, you can add toppings for a € though

>The only places in Europe that serve pepperoni pizza are domino's and pizza hut.

nah every pizza-turk offers that
>>
>>1169201
>>1170195
>>1170207
>>1170239
wait what peperoni is a sausage? it means hot pepper in german
>>
Been in Russia for a week, funny thing is that the first thing that struck me was the chinks at the airport, they just DON'T give a SINGLE fuck when in the bathroom. The moment they walk in they start farting like motherfuckers, it was a huge symphony played by chinese ass trumpets.

As for Russia itself, the thing about not smiling, that at the supermarket they have these little sticks you put in the band to let the cashier know where your stuff starts, that you have to pay for the plastic bag of you use it, at the hospital when they need a blood sample they won't use syringes but make a (painful) cut in your finger, squeeze it and collect the blood from there. Also to enter a doctor's room you need to put some plastic stuff on the sole of your shoes.

Another thing is that they don't like Standing in line and just sit wherever when they are waiting their turn, so when you arrive somewhere and there are more people waiting you have to ask who is last and use that as reference.
>>
On Germans, when abroad they are very cliquey and always speak in German to each other even when travelers from other countries are in the group. Very rude
>>
File: IMG_2505.jpg (425KB, 1511x791px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2505.jpg
425KB, 1511x791px
Great Vlogs on Scotland.
>>
>>1170277
Now that's bullshit for the most part. I've never met a German wouldn't try to stick to English as soon as there was a chance that there is someone nearby that didn't speak German.
>>
>>1170286
Well I have
Could be isolated case, true
>>
>>1167059
Maybe i'm just biased because i work at a gas station, obviously that's the place people would most likely pay via credit card here. I'm just under the general conception that the trend is moving away from cash.

t. also German
>>
The Dutch barely use a credit card, however everyone uses a debit card
Almost every single store has a debit card reader
I've seen a country where the people use a debit card that much
>>
>>1168822
So you are just deliberately ignoring the hundreds or thousands of people out and about in any town who are not working?

Also calling people zombies because they are not being as exuberant as you seem to think they should be is just sad.
>>
>>1167087
Did you do the TEFL/TESL thing? where are you from?

My girlfriend and I want to go to SK next year to teach--is there anything you can tell me about what to expect?
>>
>>1170241
Pepperoni is a Yankee invention, basically a really cheap salty, dry, salami. It's those red circles you always see on drawings of pizza, you can get it at pizza hut but usually not local places. It's THE standard topping in American pizza but rare in yurp.

I've only ever seen it in American chains and a little bit in the uk
>>
In the USA their swipe 5x times before the machine reads your card, then slash out a scribble on the receipt after finding out sales tax wasn't included in the advertised price of the item and the server is longingly staring at your wallet hoping you're going to leave a cash tip of 18.5% or more of the total value of everything you bought system is quite bizarre.

Payment is an easy one to notice since you tend to do it a lot when travelling.
>>
>>1170562
>Americans still use swipe.
>And they can't even perfect that.

Feels good to know exactly how much I'm paying for an item and just tap my card (or even my un-opened wallet) against the screen and walk away.
>>
>>1170524
>tfw traveled the world and have an elevated taste when it comes to most foods
>tfw you distinctly prefer to pepperoni on pizza over any and all "high end" sausage slice and you would much rather have Aunt Jemima's HFCS filled sugar syrup over straight from the tap maple syrup for your pancakes
>>
>>1166922
Standing on the right side of escalator in tokyo/osaka.

In korea, where men use cosmetics. Met with a 40 years old which looks like 25. He told me he uses 4 kinds of cosmetics including bb cream so on. I guess it pays though.
>>
>>1170605
It's on the left in Tokyo but right in Osaka
>>
>>1169471
Your feet stink because you keep your shoes on all the time. Also your floors are full of dogshit.
>>
Japanese people stay at the cinema room until the very end of the credits, the lights will not go on as soon as the movie is over. Even for shitty movies, is not like it is going to have an extra scene on this pieCE OF SHIT ROMANTIC COMEDY YOU BROUGHT ME IN YUNO!

>>1170616
Yeah, that's annoying.
>>
>>1170616
>>1170605
Left in Singapore and Australia, too.
>>
>>1166939
>They worry a lot about getting a cold from literal cold weather
This is prevalent in Latin America too. They take the common cold VERY seriously there.
>>
>>1169201
>The only places in Europe that serve pepperoni pizza are domino's and pizza hut

As a British person, that's not even remotely true, pepperoni pizza is one of our most common toppings. Maybe it's true in continental Europe, but I doubt it
>>
>>1169497
>Overall, I'm really glad I'm not a minority because I'd be fucking terrified of a lynching.
you sound like a basement dweller.
>>
>Chinese people almost never use deodorant
Because their sweat has next to no odor usually
>They drink hot water more often than cold
>Most of them avoid "raw" food, like the salmon on sushi
In their culture, most people think it is unhealthy
>It's acceptable to spit out bones of unwanted stuff on the table in restaurants
>It's a normal thing for a girlfriend to clean her boyfriends ears with a cotton bud in public (and vice versa)
>Chinese people really dislike putting things on the floor (bags for example)
>Chinese girls almost never shave their private parts
>They also tend to not shave armpits if they don't wear summer clothes with visible armpits (in the winter)
>As soon as you sit on a restaurant's table, a waitress will stand next to the table and except you to order right away
>You can rarely use your credit card, but you can often use your phone to pay
>Napkins in a restaurants can have to be paid for (cheap)
>In some public bathrooms, there is no wall between the turk styled toilets so you can see other shit in plain sights
>In major cities, there are free public toilets everywhere these days
>Some beggars write Chinese characters on the street pavement (as a performance I suppose)
>For some reasons, I consistently see infirm or severe burn victims beggars singing Chinese songs with some kind of portable karaoke machine for money. I never saw an able bodied beggar do that however. For example next to the forbidden city, There was a guy with no legs singing in some kind of custom wheelchair with the karaoke machine attache to it
>In the business culture, the more liquor you can handle, the most people will respect you
>Many girls carry umbrellas or even some kind of UV proof "welder" style mask when it's sunny to avoid tanning
>The hospitals are too busy for privacy, you will receive tests and be diagnosed around other patients
>After eating, many Chinese people walk around for digestion or do shopping, malls close around 10PM

Too long for the rest
>>
In China, its acceptable for kids to piss and shit on the sidewalks.
>>
>>1167186
>Germans (and overall alot of europeans but them especially) absolutely refusing to jaywalk EVER, even if its like 2am and not a single car in sight.
it's especially annoying, when you are in the only car around at 2am and have to stop because some cunt pressed the button.
I don't jaywalk, when there are small kids around though.
>Lights for a bathroom being outside the bathroom is another common one. Never understood that logic but hey whatever.
You can use a switch with a small light in it, that signals people that the bathroom is in use
>>
>>1170275
>Also to enter a doctor's room you need to put some plastic stuff on the sole of your shoes.

pretty common if there's a virus or something rampant. Had to do that when I went to visit my grandma in the hospital since their department got hit by a flu or something
>>
Spaniards eat hella late. Like 10 pm
>>
>>1167001
Where in Nothern europe is that the case? I live in Sweden and haven't had cash on my for like three years. Even the bloody falafel trucks take card and if they don't take card you can use your phone.
>>
>>1167001
>in northern Europe they just don't use credit cards.

Either Sweden or Switzerland is outright phasing cash out because nobody uses it anymore.
>>
People in melbourne Australia will judge you heavily if you drink starbucks or any other commercial coffee. Just go to some hipster coffeeshop only chinese tourists drink starbucks
>>
>>1169201
>Japan
Nigga wat? Delivery pizza costs only like 50% more than America. Costco pizzas are 1500 yen, and there are all you can eat pizza places that are like 2000 yen.

It's more expensive than America but 60 bucks is laughably wrong
>>
>>1167466
>Very rarely do they take a serving of either, but they'll think I'm an ass if I don't at least make the gesture.

I lived in Egypt and they did that and the greeting thing. Also who went first through a door was always a thing. You had to say no you first and they did the same for like a minute before one of you went through. I always just did it once and walked in or pushed the other person through the door if they were on the right and said "right" (opposite left) in Arabic. There's a Muslim thing about people on the right starting things.

Also nobody would walk on the sidewalks but on the side of the road. I when in Rome'd it and got hit by a motorcycle once. Three people were on the motorcycle and the guy came kissed the top of my head and left.

Also people are really mean to stray dogs. There's so much more, Egypt is insane
>>
>>1169201

Thanks lad, I'm sending that to my Israeli lady friend. Women drip with funny guys.

....She responded "No but Palestinian babies do"
>>
>>1171420
>~10 friends are meeting
>Anon bring some pizza
>10k yen for 4 pizzas at Dominos
>They are laughably small
>Arrive at meeting
>Sigh, k guys that will be 1k yen for each one of us
>WHAT! ANON, YOU ARE RIPPING US OF!

Could buy so much more pizza with that much money on my 3rd world country.
>>
>>1167992
Ha ha gr8 banta m8! Hilarious!

Fucking Australians.
>>
>>1171360
Austrailian males, especially those from Melbourne, really, really need a war or something meaningful in their lives to man them the fuck up. When I lived there grown men would brag about the "coffee culture" in Melbourne compared to other cities. The stoic Australian male is dying out and is being replaced by a vapid numale embarrassment.
Melbourne is one of the only cities in the world where you can literally live in for months and not even FEEL intimidated once. That's not a good thing.

Sort your fucking shit out, Austrailia.
>>
>>1171842
Lived in Melbourne my whole life and I can vouch for this. (I'm also a fucking artisan barista lmao)

The food culture here is excellent and everyone is really nice but the people in the CBD are garbage hipsters and everyone <25 has a pot dependency. My coworkers are fucking animals, every single fucking night they go out drinking and smoking and then complain about their useless arts degrees going down the toilet.

Still love this place though, literally life on easy mode here, everything is very accessible and comfy
>>
>>1171203
this is true
>>
>>1171203
I think this is a French/south European thing in general. Going to bed with a steak in their stomach, no wonder the non-Teutonic races are lazy and lethargic the next day, amirite
>>
>>1169471
we had a few of spanish and portugeese students in our dorm... and they made a fucking mess by walking around in their shoes. you guys are fucking pigs and your women don't wash hands after useing a toilet. nasty people if you ask me
>>
>>1166922
The fork and spoon thing in Thailand
>>
>>1172710
French don't eat at 10 pm. They eat around 7.30 - 8.
>>
>>1169438
>Chinese keep clean houses and worry so much about being clean on the inside, but have no problems leaving spit, piss and shit in public areas.

Holy moly ,so true. So at my university there is quite a fair bit of international students from china. The washrooms are clean before but once they're done there is piss everywhere. They don't flush and they leave toilet paper everywhere. Girls will leave their used pads and period blood everywhere...
>>
>>1170219
Wow really!? Neat.
>>
I think Taiwanese people are super super friendly.I think they are because they’re warm and open-basically, uninhibited-when it comes to strangers. And it’s the little things that make me say that. A quick exchange, a beaming grin, an open gesture, and just…talking in a way that’s not only polite, but friendly. I’d almost think that we’d met before.

Coming from Korea—and even America, though to a lesser degree—I'm used to keeping to myself. In Korea, you don’t really take the initiative to help other people.

For example, if someone drops their phone, they pick it up themselves. If an ajumma (an aunt, basically an old lady) asks a young lad where the (blank) is, he’ll answer quickly and then rush back to his phone. When someone’s suitcase fell and made an enormous racket down the stairs, the most someone did was half-hearted attempt to sort of stop it...with their foot.

I emphasize “with their foot” here because if you imagine the scenario, going in with your foot maintains an emotional distance, as opposed to stooping down and actively trying to grab it with your hands. Does that make sense?

It’s not that Koreans are rude, because they’re still mindful of other people’s space—for example, when you and your friends want to sit together on the subway, someone will move. Or, if you drop your phone, people around you will move their feet so you can grab it. But the thing is, they’re silent about it. They won’t strike up a conversation with you, and they certainly looked at me weird for trying. (And of course, this is just my experience, too.)
In Taiwan, on the other hand, there is warmth in the way they talk, emotional investment in the conversation. It sometimes feels like a little town, and other times, like an extended family.
>>
>>1172934
Same experience here. It's becuase it's a public space and not their own space so that's why they treat it badly. They don't realize it makes it horrible for everyone else.
>>
>>1170219
You have to do this in America for the National Anthem before movies play
>>
>>1172941
Whoa, doesn't happen in Canada.
>>
>>1172938
This is super interesting,
>>
>>1172943
I have more! n Korea, people don’t usually talk with strangers. In the event that someone does ask for directions, it’s almost always a quick and rigid exchange. Now, there are of course the occasional chatty taxi drivers and chatty old people but apart from them, people are usually kept to themselves/their phones. Even when an older person is in the mood to randomly strike up a conversation, it still feels like a one-way conversation when the other person is significantly younger. As you may already know, age is one of the biggest dictators of social dynamic in Korea. So in situations like that, the younger person just nods shyly while the older one rambles on, essentially leading the conversation.
>>
>>1172944
Even the service in restaurants/stores feels a bit rigid. Don’t get me wrong, they’re polite and courteous! But they also give off the vibe that they want to focus on doing business (take your order, explain the menu, and each be on our ways) as opposed to making side comments about the lovely weather we’re having.

So when I came back to America, I was surprised at how bubbly people were. Of course, not everyone is bubbly, but the people that were surprised me with how *genuine* it seemed. Waitresses, store workers, neighbors…they all seemed to entertain off-topic conversation more than their Korean counterparts would.

Personally, I like how welcoming and friendly the American way feels. But at the same time, I also find the Korean way easier. I’m shy, so my initial conversations tend to be quiet and awkward. In Korea, that would be totally fine! Going back to the dynamic I described earlier, I’m basically expected to be shy and quiet, since many of the people talking to me (taxi drivers, chatty ajummas/ajusshis) are much older. Awkward nodding and bowing aren't punishable; they're a given!

But in America, being shy or awkward does nothing but reflect on my own social inadequacy. It’s something that I have full responsibility over. And it's true; I can definitely change this part of me, and I want to, too. But it also makes me feel guilty for being shy in the first place. Put another way, I feel more pressure to be outgoing and charismatic in America. And that makes sense. With American culture being more talkative than Korean, there's naturally more emphasis on sociability.
>>
>>1167186
lights outside the bathroom is apparently because planners fear water will get on the switch.
same reason a lot of bathrooms in uk have light switches hanging from the ceiling.
>>
>>1167992
would a drop bear be acceptable?
>>
>>1172944
This is similar to how it is in the UK! I work in customer service and anyone who goes beyond the basic 'Hi, how are you' is considered exceedingly friendly
>>
>>1168982
in Salvador we shower at least 3 time a day.
>>
>>1172938
Any more differences between Taiwan and Korea?
>>
>>1172962
In Taiwan, people ask you which floor you’re going to so that they can press it for you. In Korea, no matter how crowded the elevator is, you have to squeeze through to press it yourself.

Last year when I was in Taiwan, the elevator in my apartment skipped the lobby, which left both me and another guy super confused. He chuckled, “That elevator’s really weird, huh?”
For him to say that was quite unexpected. In Korea, the confusion would have been mutually understood, but unspoken.

As I left the main building that an eyelash salon was in, the security guard sitting in the lobby called out to me, “Baibai~~”
I would never in a million years expect a security guard to greet me voluntarily!

On the subway here in Taiwan, when someone drops their phone, I see other people pick it up for them. In Korea, you don't touch other people's stuff, even if it's a big mess.

Then there was the mother who thanked me, when all I did was move over 2 inches so she could grab the handrail.
I didn't think it was anything big for me to do that—I mean, she was carrying her baby, it only made sense for me to give her some space!—but for her to acknowledge took some initiative, I think.

And just today I saw a woman whisper into another woman's ear, I'm guessing to tell her that her skirt was tucked in. Because that woman immediately fixed her skirt, while the other one walked on as if nothing happen. It was from that that I saw how casual and no big deal helping someone is in Taiwan.
>>
>>1172964
It’s little things like that that wouldn’t happen in Korea that make me say Taiwan is friendly. And again, I’m not saying that Korean people are rude; it’s more that they leave you to figure it out yourself, whether you're confused or have lint on your shirt. On the other hand, Taiwanese are less hesitant to reach out. And if you’re the one who reaches out to them, there’s an added level of sugar on top of the bare minimum polite.

So coming to Taiwan, I feel comfortable. I feel at ease, knowing that I don’t have to hold back my inclination towards being friendly, like I did in Korea. If someone’s bag is open and their stuff is about to fall out, I can let them know, and they'll be thankful!
>>
>>1169473
While in London you have to ask not to have ice in your water at a pub, frankly Britain is cold enough, I have no idea why you'd want ice to freeze your mouth when your already breathing out stream.
And yeah, you pay for every individual drink you buy here.
>>
File: change.jpg (122KB, 1200x833px) Image search: [Google]
change.jpg
122KB, 1200x833px
I went to study to Germany five months last year. As a Mexican, these are some things I found weird/different

>nobody says anything after someone sneeze
Here it is considered rude if you do not say "salud"

>you don't have to ask to the bus to stop when you want to get in
When the driver is getting closer to a bus stop, they always slow down, if there's someone there they stop

>pedestrians have the priority over the cars
Sometimes here, there are friendly drivers who let you cross the street, then you thank him and life continues. When I was there, I stopped because I car wanted to make a turn, he thought that I was being nice letting him cross, I wasn't being nice on purpose, I just didn't wanted to get hit

>cashiers don't give you the change in your hand
There's a thing where they put the money (pic related)

>the supermarket car and the bags are not free

>you have to put your groceries in the bag
Here, there's a kid or an elderly that does it for you, you are expected to give them a tip
>>
>>1173047
People do say 'Gesundheit' after someone sneezes, especially if it's a more enclosed space (an office, elevator, classroom, etc.), and especially if they know the person.

Generally speaking, Germans seldom talk to people they don't know. So if they're total strangers on a bus or in a check-out line, no they usually won't say anything if someone else sneezes (but sometime they do).

I always hate those money trays, and I assume they're for people afraid of making hand-contact with a stranger. I just had cash directly back/forth, because it's faster anyway. And yea, plastic bags are only 60 minutes away from being garbage, so charging for them is to reduce waste.

Of course Germans don't force old people to beg by bagging groceries, but what always bothers me is how fast and unhelpful cashiers scan stuff and practically fling it backwards. ESPECIALLY if the previous customer is still loading stuff. In fact, 'customer service' is generally an alien concept in Germany. Of casual customer service jobs (waiters, cashiers, store clerks), where I come from a good 50% would immediately lose their jobs or get a strong reprimand for constant shitty service. But here you find everything from teenagers to 50-year olds behaving like jerks in their jobs.
>>
>>1173056
I prefer this. I want to pay, get my stuff, and get out. This is why checking out at an Aldi is much fast than checking out at Walmart in America.

Customer service is not an alien concept, it's just not superficial.
>>
>>1166939
I asked my korean friend about this and he got spooked and said "no bro it's real i swear you'll die if you leave the fan on while you sleep"
>>
>>1173205
It is possible to pay, get your stuff and get out with feeling like your cashier behaving like they hate your guts for making him/her actually do what they are being paid to do.

>le superficial fake-friendly begging-for-tips Amis maymay!
I know Germans like to reassure themselves with this, that despite all the charm of a dead fish hey at least it's genuine. Nahhh... as it is, German 'customer service' is typically pretty shit. Since most Germans behave the same way, they don't really find a problem with it, I guess.

At least it's generally better than Eastern Europe and the third world, but still poor by western standards.
>>
>>1167985
thats gross and dirty
whats the point of being indoors if you are going to track shit everywhere
>>
>>1169827
this is a metaphor for all of Chinese behaviour
>>
>>1168023
>Since I give no fucks I asked directly

I like you.
>>
>>1168822
well I can speak for American suburbs (born and raised). that is the stereotype but really, the suburbs are what you make of them. there is nothing stopping you from making friends and doing fun shit. dinner parties are very common in the suburbs, which to me are some of the best times. the ease of getting groceries combined with the comfy, spacious house make it so that you can go all-out with the dinner party.
>>
>>1169473
>People from Seattle are cunts.

I had a hunch about this
>>
>>1170275
>The moment they walk in they start farting like motherfuckers, it was a huge symphony played by chinese ass trumpets.

holy fucking kek
>>
>>1169679
Good for you? Your purchases are being tracked so marketing companies can buy that info and market shit 'better'.

All these points counting deals are largely bullshit. Spend 2000 and get a fancy chocolate bar or inflatable neck pillow as a gift. Wow, amazing.
>>
>>1170207
>>1170195
>>1170207
>>1170241
>>1170524
Pepperoni is what Americans called a (bell/sweet/paprika) pepper-spiced salami first made by Italians in the US.

Actually, use of the name 'pepperoni' to refer to the vegetable is much older. The confusion may be that these things go be several different names... the 'true' pepperoni is a longish mildly spicy chilli pepper, and outside the US/Canada, that's what most people mean when they say the word. In the US/Canada, it refers to a sort of salami. Most salami, like most cured meats these days, is mass-produced shitty version. It's just scrap meat with fat chunks and red dye and a bit of chilli powder.

Also, salami on pizza is pretty common here in Europe.

>>1170291
Germans are hardly the worst offenders of this... Try being around Spaniards or French. English are the worst (as if they even *can* speak other languages)
>>
>>1171014
>>Chinese girls almost never shave their private parts
brb, booking trip to China.
>>
>>1170275
>As for Russia itself, the thing about not smiling, that at the supermarket they have these little sticks you put in the band to let the cashier know where your stuff starts, that you have to pay for the plastic bag of you use it,
Where the fuck are you from? This are common in almost all of the 25+ countries I've been to.
>>
>>1171014
>For example next to the forbidden city, There was a guy with no legs singing in some kind of custom wheelchair with the karaoke machine attache to it
I think I saw the same guy when I was there a few years ago. He sat in some sort of underpass, I think.
>>
>>1169473
Refilling your drink without asking is in England doesn't happen because you're charged for each drink (unless it's free refills, which is rare)
>>
In Japan, the police were very nice, and I didn't feel like they hated me, or looked down on me. When I got back to the US, I remembered that the police typically are jerk offs, and always talk down to you and act like assholes.

Also, I miss not really seeing litter, and how quiet things were.
>>
>>1172941
>>1172942
I meant to say movie theaters on American military bases
>>
In Spain and Portugal, in restaurants, it seems you often get a little bowl of bread, breadsticks or sometimes just crackers placed on the table once you sat down, before you've ordered anything.

In Spain, it seemed it really was free in almost every instance I can think of. I was only charged once for bread (2€ for shitty pre-packaged dry-as-fuck small bread-stick worth like 25 cents which we didn't even eat!), but that was at a scammy beachside restaurant full of nickel-and-dime cunts. When I complained about being charged for bread, they said it was really for bread AND utensils. When I scoffed and asked if I next time I should eat with my hands, they just stood there without an answer.

In Portugal though, they take it away if you haven't eaten any. However, if you eat just one, they charge you for it. I discovered this the hard way.

I don't mind if I'm charged for what I eat, but as it's an unwritten rule, how the fuck are you supposed to know either way? Most of the time the bread was shitty dried-out boring-as-fuck baguette (which hopefully no one else has touched, since they clearly re-use the same uneaten dried out bread all day long). I kinda feel they should tell you if you're obviously a tourist who no habla la Español.
>>
That comic is so retarded. An Asian would never say they don't need traffic lights, the reason why traffic is so bad in parts of Asia is cause of lack of enforcement of traffic laws.
>>
>>1174751
Westerner/Easterner could also refer to opposite ends of the same country.

An Oregonian and a New Yorker might have different opinions about traffic regulations.
>>
>>1166922
Serbs, due to I guess Ottoman occupation in the past, take of their shoes before entering the house, there's even a dilemma when in areas that weren't under occuption for long where you ask if you have to take off your shoes...
>>
>>1169174
that sounds amazing what country are you from
>>
As bored Spaniard, I'm checking and confirming facts in thread. I hope you guys don't mind.
>>
>>1175648 here.

>>1167985
Half true. If you don't have trust to the home owner you will never do it. Otherwise, if it is related to you, you will probably do, but even ib that case you won't. I mean, there's no need.

>>1168003
I guess you won't believe me but it is the same as when you ask somebody foe their coat tl be comfy inside, but you won't like them on underwear. Is that kind of toooo comfy. But it is also related to how you are or how had you been rised.

>>1171203
> Spaniards eat hella late. Like 10 pm

>>1174736
Sadly, this is something I will expect from my own country. Tourist zones are very likely to do this kind of "tricks" (but not that hard lol) so they can make you spend more. I rarely ate a bad bread in a restaurant. It is very very unlikely because they usually prefer to put new bread than old (customers complains) and because they use it in some dishes. I would recommend you (if you come again) to just eat it if you want it, but being an outsider and after your experience, just ask everytime. If someone offends they can fuck off.
>>
>>1171203
>>1175659
I'm retarded, forgot this.

Yes, very true. This is due because of our work schedule. You can work from 7-8am to 1-3pm. Then you have from 20min to 3 hours to eat. Then you come again and work from 2-4 to 6-10pm.

Therefore, our lunch (in spanish lunch means two diffefent meals) can be at 10-12 (little meal, like a coffe and a donut) and the big one between 1-4 (usually around 4 more than 1)

Our dinner is same because of first part, we dinner between 8-11. More around 9-10 actually.
>>
>>1167058
>People don't pay with cash that much in Germany.
Bullshiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

I'm German and can vouch that most stores still refuse to accept credit cards. Of course all your chains and mall shops do take chip cards but 95% of the people will pay with cash.
>>
>>1173047
Everytime I sneeze someone is quick to say "Gesundheit." Never had a problem with hearing it or not

I don't understand what you mean for the bus. You only sit/stand at a bus stop if you want to ride the bus so naturally if the bus driver sees someone at a stop they are required to stop and pick them up.

Pedestrians always have the right of way. If the crosswalk is green you can go. Turning always yields to whoever is going straight, whether it be cars or people.

This all depends on the cashier. If you stick out your hand they'll put the change in your hand but if you're not ready they'll put it on the tray.

Thank the green party for making bags not free. Whenever you go shopping you're supposed to bring a backpack or whatever.

>paying someone to do a 10 second task
>>
>>1169201
i live in a town in the North of The Netherlands <30k population, and we have like 5 or 6 pizza places, only one dominos too.

Here we do have a pizza place that lets you pick your own ingredients (and its being sold as something revolutionary too) and then they slide it across the counter Subway-style and the bake it in a Stone Oven. Good shit.

All pizza places here serve thincrusted Italian style pizza's here, but New York Pizza, Dominos and the supermarkets sell the thickcrusted ones which i prefer desu
>>
>>1170275
>Another thing is that they don't like Standing in line and just sit wherever when they are waiting their turn

you mean to say that Slavs squat?
thats nothing new :^)
>>
>>1170307
Credit cards are not that common here, yes. My dad only uses it every now and again for online stuff but even then using your online dongle thingy is handier
>>
>>1175686
>Pedestrians always have the right of way. If the crosswalk is green you can go. Turning always yields to whoever is going straight, whether it be cars or people.
In principle... I ride my bike daily everywhere I go, with lights, reflectors and helmet like a dweeb. Most drivers are still flat-out blind cunts. Just today on my ride home, some asshole was sat parked and reading their phone or whatever in a clearly marked bike lane. I can't even count the number of 'almost' hits I've had by people turning right without checking, and people here really do not signal to turn until the very last second. Shit would get you a ticket so fast where I come from.

Overall, I'll admit it's still a lot better in Germoney than Burgerland though.
>>
>>1171845
dude i totally agree. Im a europoor and i visited Melbourne last May, best city i've ever been to, beats Sydney by a long stretch for me
>>
>>1172938
People talk to me all the time. The warmness you describe in Taiwan i feel in koreans. I'm in a small city though.
>>
>>1168824
That's more of a northern/eastern european thing, in southern europe there's always people outside.
>>
>>1169201
>The only places in Europe that serve pepperoni pizza are domino's and pizza hut.

This is extremely untrue, I live in the Netherlands and you can get pepperoni pizzas everywhere.
>>
>>1169201
>There's a Pizza Hut in every European and Asian country. Usually it's nothing like the local pizza.

False, the only pizza hut in my country is in the nike offices in the capital.
>>
>>1169201
>There's a Pizza Hut in every European and Asian country.

Some of them look pretty good, though,
>>
File: pizza.jpg (113KB, 528x407px) Image search: [Google]
pizza.jpg
113KB, 528x407px
>>1176626
Or at least pretty elaborate...
>>
File: pizza-hut-japan2.jpg (89KB, 478x387px) Image search: [Google]
pizza-hut-japan2.jpg
89KB, 478x387px
>>1176628
>>
>>1176609
No one cares about your irrelevant country that you can't even bother to name because it's that irrelevant.

>>1176626
Nice touch on the hashish bong thingy there.
>>
Australian's have weird fucking food. Cheeseburger pies are a thing there. And what the fuck is a lamington? what an odd country
>>
>>1169201

I'm Italian and places here actually serve pizza with kebab meat.

Anyway:

> Georgians have STOP written on all zebra crossings
>Bulgarians nod their head to say no and shake it to say yes
>>
>>1176628
This actually angers me. Pizza is sacred, they have no right to do this.
>>
>>1167728
Good for them, Americans need to cut that creepy shit out.
>>
>>1173205
This.
>>
>>1176654
>hashish bong thingy
It's a lamp you mong
>>
>>1171014
>It's acceptable to spit out bones of unwanted stuff on the table in restaurants
THATS WHY THEY DO IT

I SWEAR THE GOD NEXT TIME A CHINK COMES IN TO MY FUCKING RESTAURANT IM GONNA STAPLE A SIGN TO HIS FUCKING HEAD THAT SAYS "THIS NOT CHINA"
>>
>>1169306

He never saw schindler's list
>>
>>1171420

I was there Japan for three months, shakey's was like $10 for all you can eat pizza, pasta, salad and all the beer you can drink for 90 minutes or so.

But we ate at several place and like anywhere you have to find the right place, I found a 3 star buffet that had all exotic french food that was 1000 yen in Tokoyo
>>
>>1174714
>,

I was lost in Japan and was visiting a business and went into a 7-11 type store, the lady said something in Japanese, came around the corner grabbed my arm and I figured she was pitching me out. She walks me out to the curb and points "there it is", a sign that only a blind person could miss (me). To me the Japanese were very polite and helpful.

But the downside is everything was so clean (like its a bad thing, lol), like an operating room clean, old women in the way to their break picking up twigs!! (how dare this tree drop these twigs!!). I saw a bit of grafitti, and was like Wow!
>>
>>1171014
>Chinese girls never shave vagine
This is my fetish desu, East Asian pubic hair really grows my dick
>>
>>1176943
it's a joke you mong
>>
File: 1474943464714.jpg (263KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
1474943464714.jpg
263KB, 2048x1536px
>>1169201
>Swedish people put crazy shit like bananas, mussels, crayfish, kebab meat, curry powder, and peanuts on the pizza. Southern europeans have a total of maybe 6 things that are "allowed " on pizza including sauce and cheese.

asked my swedish friend this and he wondered why it's weird. what the fuck sweden.
>>
>>1177005
>kebab meat, curry powder, and peanuts on the pizza
these three sound good desu
>>
>>1171842
that's great though.
I went to uni and newcastle and saw more fights out drinking on a tuesday night than I did in 6 months of living in melbourne.
>>
>>1175659
yeah I don't know what he's talking about. I heard all about the dodgy bread and tricks shit but never had a problem the whole time I was in spain or portugal with that behaviour in restaurants.
>>
>>1177005
The banana and peanuts thing started as one of those odd women's recipe magazine in the 1960s, and somehow it caught on. The one time I tried a (homemade) banana and peanut butter casserole in Sweden, it gave me the squirts. Might've been undercooked chicken, but still I've never gone near it again.

>>1177089
Lucky for you, then. Like I said, I got the impression most places were not trying to be scammy cunts with it. It's a nice touch. But I had the one particularly bad experience in Spain... It was a hotel restaurant right on a beach, so I was expecting higher prices. But it was like €2 (PER PERSON) on the bill for a package of four 10cm-long cellophone-wrapped bread-stick crackers out of a box, which we did not even eat.

At first, I politely asked the waitress about it because I assumed it was an honest mistake. But no. First they acted dumb like 'huh, you didn't eat the breadsticks, yea well so what?' then making up different excuses on the spot why it had to be paid anyway, and finally acting offended I'd even ask about it, even as I went from one waitress to the manager. I doubt I'm the first person to ever complain. They didn't even try to allege we had eaten them -- they very clearly knew it was a douchebag move.

I still recall our bill was around €50 in total, including appetizers, drinks and a dessert, so I thought it was pretty dirtbag thing to do -- it's not like we were being cheapskates only having tortillas and tap water. 4€ is nothing on all of that, but it's the principle... pretty third-world behaviour, if you ask me. In the tourism/hospitality industry, shit like that is just out of line.

Maybe it's 'cause both my grandfathers were hotel-owners/operators (it's kinda how my parents connected -- their fathers knew each other before my parents were even born), and one of my uncles still owns one of those hotels. I do care about 'good service'.
>>
>>1177098
As I told you (Spaniard here) you had bad luck BUT it is a thing I will totally expect from owners here, since everybody go crazy on beach prices, I don't know why. It is a shame people here sometimes does that kind of shit.
>>
>>1170275
they imported some of those habits to Cuba.Like the cut in the finger and asking who is the last on the line.
>>
>>1175686
>I don't understand what you mean for the bus. You only sit/stand at a bus stop
Here is not enough to stand at the bus stop; you have to extend your hand like literally Hitler so the driver knows that you want to get in

>Everytime I sneeze someone is quick to say "Gesundheit."
I only heard it like twice, one time was an old person, i assumed that it was something that only old people sais. I was in berlin, probably is different than in the rest of the country, I don't know.

One difference I forgot to mention was the bathrooms. In Germany you turn on the lights from the outside, that's stupid as fuck. And the toilettes there have less water, probably to save water and not get your ass splashed.
>>
>>1172938
>>1172964
Just got back from Taiwan, and totally agree. Felt like your stereotypical laid-back, close-knit island life except in a fully developed country.

Some other observations though:

Dudes are generally super nice but that frequently gets pretty feminine, e.g. like your "baibai~~" thing. Come on guys, you can be nice but still have balls.

Chicks of all ages act insanely, irritatingly cutesy by default, and their voices are often crazy shrill. I blame Japan.

Overall my feeling about it was that Taiwan is a great place to do nothing because everything is cheap, everyone is friendly, the weather's tropical, and there's nothing to do besides eat anyway.
>>
>>1177684
and fugg bitches, don't forget.
>>
>>1175686
>I don't understand what you mean for the bus. You only sit/stand at a bus stop if you want to ride the bus so naturally if the bus driver sees someone at a stop they are required to stop and pick them up.

There's a whole bus etiquette in all the latin american countries and even experienced it in rural spain.

>you queue up left of the bus sign one behind each other, if it rains people often put a placeholder in the line. This is made so people can hop-off quickly.
>Larger stops have often 5+ buses per stop sign so asking around which queue is for what bus is a normal thing.
>first person in the queue has to flag down the bus by waving or as the the other anon said do the Hitler else the bus will just drive past you.
>When you enter the bus you tell the bus driver where you will get off and he enters the exact fare
>you pay with coins (thats why change is short in places like Argentina as everyone hords it for public transport) or some metropolitan lines you can use your tarjeta (prepaid transport cards) that you use for the Subway and other places and move past the barrier

That whole procedure takes forever during the rush hours.
>>
>>1177694
yea but besides trying to be annoyingly cute most of them seem so potentially clingy
>>
File: IMG_2052.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px)
IMG_2052.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>1169497
I live in Southern Louisiana and some towns only fly the rebel flag, the people are cool, they just hate Northerners

Also My first time visiting switzerland, I was taking a train through the Alps and an entire class of kids got on, all shouting in German

I was 18 and only knew English at the time, and everyone drives to school where I come from so it was very weird to me to see that

Pic sorta related, I love taking trains in Switzerland
>>
>>1177794
fuck the picture came out fucking sideways
>>
>>1166922
people use an umbrella on sunny days in hong kong / macau

seems like a pretty good idea actually, but it seems embarassing to do it here in the West
>>
>>1177796
It would keep you a bit cooler, but in the West, in particular my part of thr US it would be considered outlandish and weeb as fuck, it's like the female equivalent of a fat guy in a dirty t-shirt wearing a classy fedora.

Just another one of those Asian habits that is arguably reasonable but culturally unacceptable here e.g. walking around wearing a face mask when you're sick.....people will stare with WTF faces and kids will point.
>>
>>1171842
Only time I ever got in a fight when visiting Australia was in Melbourne. Bought liqour in the wrong part of town, I suppose, and got attacked by a very old junkie. Not much of a fight, but still.
>>
>>1168402
Now exactly why the fuck does this bottle of slav juice bear the logo of a Swiss-Swedish industrial corporation?
>>
>>1167056

what trailer did you grow up in? That's rude as hell, Amerifat here.

>>1167103

Never got this. Tons of people sleep like that, none of them die, why do they just believe stupid nonsense for no reason?

>>1167293
>Ever had to carry a 20 kilo bag plus carry-on backpack for a few kilometers?

...Yes. It's called backpacking you pansy faggot, ten miles innamountains, check it. God yuuros are such pussies.

>>1167463
>Gallon jugs of water?

Yes. For /out/ anyway.

>>1167728

Russians confirmed spergs.

>>1167992

Only problem is telling what is a beast and what is merely an australian.

>>1169174
>I saved 300 USD by importing subwoofer and audio gear

Or just use a $20 pair of headphones that weighs a quarter pound like everyone else in the world. You aren't "saving" money by buying shit you don't need, retard.

>>1169329

>traveled to buffalo
>didn't eat a single thing with buffalo sauce or chicken wing
>>
>>1178100
Because it's a random google image, obvs.
>>
>>1178298
>God yuuros are such pussies.
Nigga please, Euros are far more into outdoorsy gear that is actually used. Guaranteed that a genuine hiking backpack that never sees a real mountain or forest is far more likely to be sitting in some amerifat's closet.

>>1178298
>STOP LIKING WHAT I DON'T LIKE!!
>>
>>1178351

yuuros don't even have woods. Only outdoorsing you do is camping in cucksheds.
>>
>>1178367
This is /trv/ you slobbering idiot.

Try >>>/pol/
>>
>>1167056
>it's considered rude to blow your nose at the dining table

That's rude anywhere and also unhygenic.
>>
>>1176931
The autism is strong in this one
>>
>>1170275
>As for Russia itself, the thing about not smiling, that at the supermarket they have these little sticks you put in the band to let the cashier know where your stuff starts, that you have to pay for the plastic bag of you use it, at the hospital when they need a blood sample they won't use syringes but make a (painful) cut in your finger, squeeze it and collect the blood from there. Also to enter a doctor's room you need to put some plastic stuff on the sole of your shoes.
>Another thing is that they don't like Standing in line and just sit wherever when they are waiting their turn, so when you arrive somewhere and there are more people waiting you have to ask who is last and use that as reference.

I'm from Spain and every single one of these applies here too. Honestly they all sound like pretty common things
>>
>>1167186
>puerto rican shows
Guess you meant showers, but we call that "trucker showers" in my country. It's the absolutely worst when people think it can substitute a real shower.
>>
>>1168822
That's how we like it friend. At least in Denmark.
I moved to Århus (second largest city, not that it says much) to study and I've been fucking miserable for years, even though I live in the suburbs, because everything is so fucking loud.
Going to move back to bumfuck nowhere for some much needed peace and quiet.
>>
>>1174736
So you go to foreign countries without even bothering to look up their customs?
>>
>>1178822
What a stupid question.
>>
>>1169197
>south america is the west

No, it is it's own thing.
>>
>>1171221
What is falafel? Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought it is considered a meme in where I live.
>>
>>1167314
So much this. I'd even say that in situations where the streets is empty the only who don't jaywalk are non-germans.
>>
>>1178911
Falafel are like meatballs for vegetarians.
>>
>>1178918
Ah, all right, thank you.
>>
>>1178914
Maybe this behaviour differs from town to town and we don't need to make preliminary consequences on this topic.
>>
>>1178928
s/consequences/conclusions
*selffix*
>>
>>1178860
Nah, it is very West, you special little snowflake.
>>
>>1178928
I'm the anon who posted the earlier longer comment, which the other anon responded to.

I've lived in three different towns in Germany (in BaWü, NRW and Niedersachsen) and I've been to every corner of the country besides. I'd say jaywalking is pretty much a country-wide thing.
>>
>>1169379
From Ohio also and can vouch for the relative friendliness of our local paisanos but I think the weird looks might be an exaggeration. I've never felt like approaching someone on the street varies in acceptability in different parts of the country.
>>
>>1166922
>absolutely no jaywalking
really though, when I jaywalked in germany, multiple people actually sped up, probably to "teach me a lesson". germans are fucked up
>>
File: headphones tea sandwhich.jpg (431KB, 741x1200px) Image search: [Google]
headphones tea sandwhich.jpg
431KB, 741x1200px
I came to this thread to be amazed and inspired but halfway through I stopped reading and think you're a bunch of arseholes and I feel like burning my passport. What the fuck is your problem?

I guess that the small differences are inconsequential compared to the common qualities we all share - like being pretentious oneupmanship douchebags.

/out
>>
>>1171842

Melbourne is soon to be annexed by QLD dw, they will be put to the sword and we will settle New Townsville on their bones.
>>
>>1170286
>>1170291
I can agree it's not an isolated case.
I'm Danish, and once I had to cross the border to Germany. When I came to customs duties, I naturally greeted them with English.
The lady behind the glass, older slightly chubby sad looking, didn't even move a muscle, and instead just spoke some German words to me.
Now, I know it's obligatory to learn German here in Denmark, but I have never been in German classes, as I instead took French, so I had no idea what the heck she just said.
I asked her: "sorry..?", to which she again replied in some German bs.

The German youth might be all ears when someone is speaking English, but I can tell for sure that the older population will have none of it. After all, they still see German as an international language...
>>
>>1179304
It wouldn't surprise me. "In every German, there's a little teacher". Germans love wagging their finger.

The other day, I was crossing a street on my bike. A side-street off of a shopping complex with an Edeka I had just left. There is a cross walk (no lights, but reflective signs and road stripes). It was getting dark (not yet pitch black) and drizzling rain, so I stopped for a couple seconds in front of it (my bike lights were on, and my wheels have reflectors), looked both ways. A car had just turned right into the on-coming lane towards me from a bigger street, but was still 60-70 meters away. Otherwise it was clear. It takes literally two second to pedal across this little street, so I went for it. As soon as the car sees me, still 50 meters or so out, he starts honking like a fucking madman, long repeated honks, several times. I was the only one around, so clearly they were meant for me. I was already on the other side several meters up the street when he crossed the cross-walk where I had been. Like seriously, what in the fuck? I wished I had an egg ready to toss at his fucking window.

A few days before that, some asi in a van decked out with way too many local football stickers/scarves turned left while the light was still green for us going straight. He slams the breaks and nearly plows into me and a couple other cyclists, and then honks and scream at us. Probably didn't realize car lights and pedestrian/cyclist lights are not 100% in sync.

I guess other countries can be far worse, at least there are bike lanes here, but I find Germans rather aggressive 'tunnel-vision' drivers.
>>
>>1179308
OK, have fun on >>>/mlp/ m8.
>>
>>1179308
>being pretentious oneupmanship douchebags
If you haven't noticed /trv/ has been like that for years, you're probably very new.
>>
>>1176628
>>1176629
I've had both of these they're actually really good haha
>>
>>1178814
Man all of Århus (downtown and suburbs) seemed so nice and quiet to me.

That said the countryside outside the city limits was mega chill so I can still see why you'd want to go back. A little too empty though.
>>
>>1167001
We're actually phasing in the chip cards pretty heavily now. I'm in LA and 95% of the places I shop have chip readers on their PIN pads and require that you use them if your card has a chip. It's not as common in sit-down restaurants yet, but it's starting to show up there too, the place I had lunch today brought one to the table.
Thread posts: 243
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.