[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tipping in Vietnam

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 0

Currently on my first ever holiday to Vietnam and staying at a really nice 3 star hotel. How much does housekeeping usually make per week/month? And how much should I be tipping?

This morning I left 100,000 dong (lol) on the desk with a note but I realized that was only $5-ish. Is this too much or too little (by Vietnamese standards).

TL;DR What is a generous tip for Housekeeping in Vietnam? (Something that will leave them with a smile)
>>
they'll just think you want them to come back in the evening for a handjob and quick blow
>>
>>1166813

"hi housekeeping, here 100 dong and my dong"
>>
How long did you stay there...
>>
>>1166811
Don't tip in SEA, it's not customary.
>>
>>1166811

The US dollar goes way far in Vietnam. Your $5 fed her family a days lunch. It's not customary to tip, but a dollar or two is still a very nice gesture.
>>
>>1167900
>a day's lunch
More like fed her family for a day, locals don't have to pay anywhere near what they charge tourists. Tipping only encourages them to charge people more, I wish Amerifats would stop doing this.
>>
>>1168320
>I'm going to a country where tipping is part of how the economy works, and then not do it. Sure, it's kicking poor people in the teeth, but it's for their own good, really, and why the fuck should I do things differently than I do at home just because I'm traveling to another country?
>>
>>1168320
You're such a jerk.

>side note: That autocorrected to "Jew" and come to think of it, that's more appropriate.
>>
>>1168337
Yeah, they'll shit all over each other if you ask too. The girls are cute as hell though.
>>
>>1168326
>>I'm going to a country where tipping is part of how the economy works
no, it's not. He's speaking about Vietnam, not about USA
>>
>>1168326
>le poor people are virtuous because they're poor and can do no wrong so they deserve your money
I can almost taste your valley girl accent
>>
So I'M going around Vietnam at the end of this year. Good ways to get laid with the locals?
>>
>>1166811
It's very rare I don't tip. They aren't doing a somewhat okay job, like a moldy bathroom, dirty surfaces, well then I might not. No matter where I am, you can assume the room staff is making as little as the hotel can possibly pay them and have reliability. So, $5 is the minimum I'll leave, no matter where I am. It's a shitty job with lack of job security, and quite a bit of danger to women and men both, from infectious disease to witnessing crimes or being a victim of a crime.

The issue with leaving a tip other than daily, is that you have different people coming and going on shifts, so leave it for the person who actually did the room that day by having it out daily. I might miss the first day, however, because of money changing issues :/

As far as someone saying it isn't customary? They're full of it. It's been customary the world over for centuries. It just means you have no class when you don't appreciate people doing some work for you. Only unclassy people logic out some kind of "no you shouldn't" conclusion. Overtipping, however, should be a no-no, aside from some occasional act of charity.
>>
3 star hotel receptionist here, though not in Vietnam.

Housekeeping are the hardest fucking workers in the hotel industry, and they usually earn a meager, but viable, salary. In western countries they're 9/10 times immigrants who're just trying to survive. If they've made your room nice and clean every day you've been staying there, leave them a well-deserved tip.
>>
>>1170336
>It's been customary the world over for centuries

Stop projecting your culture onto mine you privileged fuck.

Also stop projecting it onto history while you're at it.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 0

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.