[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Oblivious travelers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

File: 1417911690554.jpg (240KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1417911690554.jpg
240KB, 1024x768px
What is it with all these completely oblivious travellers? I constantly meet people at hostels that don't know anything about the local culture or regions or history. Most of them never opened a book or researched anything on where they're going or what they're actually going to do.

Don't get me wrong, as most of the people you meet are actually interesting, but it just seems that as of lately travel is getting associated with uneducated people. It completely blocks any conversation that goes deeper than just talking about liquor, weed or parties.
>>
I got a feeling we had a talk about this earlier today.

Honestly, I think it comes from information oversaturation due to the Internet and the entertainment industry. Everyone is expected to have some sort of "complete" world view in order to not appear ignorant in our globalised world. Given that most people are ignorant who likes to jump to the easiest conclusion, they expect the country they travel to to fit within the constructed image of the country that they've made from preconceptions based on Hollywood movies and vain Wikipedia articles. Take the human nature element into consideration, that most people have a hard time changing their otherwise solidified conceptions of something, and you have tourists who walk around completely oblivious, sacking in tourist traps and ignoring all the nuances, so they can go home with a feeling of "yep, I was right", and then brag to their friend about how cultural they are and how they "really got a feel of such an exotic culture!"
>>
File: gap yah.jpg (8KB, 299x168px) Image search: [Google]
gap yah.jpg
8KB, 299x168px
There will be two types of reactions to this thread:

1 - SJW autistic freakout
>OMG who are you to say why others should travel.
>You're an elitist.
>Everyone travels for different reasons so if someone wants to only party and smoke weed that's their choice.

2 - smug agreement from real travelers™
>Everybody is stupid except me.
>Plebs should have to pass an IQ test to be granted a passport.
>I myself am a member of Mensa and have an IQ of 160.
>I learn the local language to fluency before I travel and acquaint myself with cultural nuances to avoid faux pas.

This board is cancer.
>>
>>1165365
Omg how can you judge people for partying and having fun. Never heard the song " girls just wanna have fun? " , it's a lifestyle for me and many of my friends.

I don't go to foreign countries to look at 2000 year old pottery or immerse myself in the " history and culture " ( only creeps do that ). When I travel I just want to get fucked up with my girlfriends!! The cute tourist boys are just a plus ;) :)
>>
File: IMG_20160812_165208.jpg (4MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160812_165208.jpg
4MB, 4160x3120px
>>1165377
This post gave me cancer
>>
>>1165377
obvious bait but still a valid point. Why spend thousands of dollaridoos to go party & smoke overseas while staying in your bed until 2PM though? It's just a waste.
>>
>>1165377
Why would you spend money to do something you can do at home
>>
>>1165385
>>1165490

because i've already drank my way through all the bars at home

you have never seen the beauty in stumbling home in a foreign country with a foreign boy on your arm?
>>
>>1165647

>implying western countries dont have a ton of foreign immigrants

>>1165385
This, I get wanting to have some fun, but I don't get why people spend a shit ton on airplane tickets and hotels to go party abroad, like you can just do that at home or drive to another city if you are too autistic to try in your own city
>>
>>1165365
Sorry bro I'm too busy getting laid, getting mashed up, going on random missions, leading others and making all kinds of friends to read your gay little nerd books. You can spend hours sharing knowledge about cultures with girls, rest assured their asscracks are going to be full of my cum by the end of the night.

Enjoy your self appointed moral high ground, nerd.
>>
>>1165385
>>1165490

>Why spend thousands of dollaridoos to go party & smoke overseas while staying in your bed until 2PM though?

Why not? Why do you care what somebody else does with their time and money?
>>
>>1165367
If there's one thing I've learned about travelling, it's that you should always drastically lower your expectations prior to entering another country. Do that and you'll almost always be pleasantly surprised.
>>
>>1165376
>>I myself am a member of Mensa and have an IQ of 160.
176 actually.
>>
>>1165376
I agree
>>
>>1168447
I am there as well. Mensa is just a shit meme. We are as dumb as others. It's just a fucking test and we are good monkeys who know how to fill it. Really exceptional people never fit in any silly measurement system, they are outliers
>>
>>1165365
The real question is why do you give a shit?
>>
That pic looks like Pepe got stood up. It makes me sad.
>>
Doug
>>
>>1165376

You forgot one:

3 - /pol/ basement dweller
>OMFG every country is the same already thanks to globalization and multiculturalism
>jews jews jews jews
>cultures have been erased, we are all brown now and eat pizza and hamburger
>nigger LELELELELEL
>kill all brown people
>Hitler was the best ever
>umm, nigger
>>
>>1168512
because they influence my trip when at hostels. I try to talk about my day & what I've seen whereas they are just spending time looking some stupid videos while being drunk or high.
>>
>>1168564
So basically a realist who understands things?

Name 5 differences between Paris and Berlin.
>>
>>1168580
>I try to talk about my day & what I've seen

Hold up, found the problem

You're trying to relate to other people and be social while trying to impose your version of enjoyment on them

Simple solutions:

1-Stop being an elitist
2-Stop trying to be social
>>
File: 1406300742922.png (19KB, 410x284px) Image search: [Google]
1406300742922.png
19KB, 410x284px
>>1168606
If you spend your whole day hanging around in a hostel you shouldn't travel tbqh
>>
>>1168610
says who?
>>
>>1168615
says me
>>
>>1168635
opinion discarded
>>
>>1168615
Says me too
>>
>>1165365
It's just how normies travel. It's not their hobby, they just go somewhere and fuck around.
>>
>planning trip to europe this spring
>excited to see the architecture and try different foods
>friend decides he wants to go too
>ok i guess, i kinda wanted to do this alone but why not
>planning trip with him
>see his eyes glaze over when i mention things i want to see
>tries to fit in side trip to ibiza instead
>>
>>1168601
Not that dude but
>Berlin is Cleaner
>Personally found better food
>More things historically I found interesting.
>Better Party Culture (Not my interest but I partook because Berlin)
>Less Niggers
>>
>>1165365

>It completely blocks any conversation that goes deeper than just talking about liquor, weed or parties.

Speak for yourself, I have known jack shit about the culture of a lot of the countries I have visited, I could still have great conversations about literature with both locals and other travellers.
>>
>>1168661
Are you sure you want to travel together? Sounds like you both have different expectations, which might ruin the trip. Be clear with what you want out of the trip If you both Ave different expectations there's no harm in flying solo,better than both of you having a shit holiday.
>>
>>1165365

I'm not much of a planner. A few of the countries I've been to I only visited because it was the cheapest round trip fare from Detroit on SkyScanner. I tend to just take things as they come, but I do learn a lot about the places I go once I get there.
>>
Just lower your expectations
You can still enjoy the company of someone without them being very knowledgeable
At least for a short time.
Often you meet people so fleetingly it's difficult to even get into in depth discussions about places
>>
To be fair travelling isn't so much a satisfaction of exacting curiousity anymore for most people.

>So how did you end up here?
>I'm on a gap year/I heard it was good/cheap deal/Never been.

Travelling is a meme now. There's a girl on my facebook going to Australia for a year and she's posting like it's some great religious experience. That's how it is now. It's what you do when you're under 25.
>>
>>1169600

some naive 20 year-old girl I met the other day was planning on going to Zimbabwe because it would 'be difficult'
>>
>>1165376
I am unironically the 2nd one. You faggots act better than anyone on this board, so I don't care what I do.
>>
File: n-smartphones-b-20141118.jpg (794KB, 3668x2604px) Image search: [Google]
n-smartphones-b-20141118.jpg
794KB, 3668x2604px
>be me
>half ethiopian
>get on local bus from Addis to Nairobi
>estimated 3 days travel
>see there's a group of Koreanboos
>"They're probably gonna get dicked around if i don't help 'em out" I think to myself
>Koreanboos are grateful, but want to stick very closely to their topsecrectkoreantraveltips.docx on their iPhone
>try to explain that this is Africa and that you need to make connections with the locals for safety and best recommendations
>we manage to get through Ethiopia with little hassle.
>we arrive in Nairobi
>get settled in our hostel and go out for food
>I ask hostel bro for suggestions and directions
>Koreanboos google a place, drop a pin and follow their iPhone like pic related IN NAIROBBERY
>we managed to find restaurant and head back by local bus
>nearing hostel, lot's of commotion at the front.
>"Thief thief!!!"
>color me surprised, a koreanboo has been robbed of a brand new iPhone 6
>see group of 3 men trying to get off bus, 2 head one way, which draws most attention, while one guy slips around and heads in the opposite direction.
>jump off bus and start to follow the one
>start asking him to empty his pockets
>he empties one
>"empty the other one!"
>he starts to walk away faster and faster
>"oh shit he def has the phone, time to become an hero"
>another younger guy comes up behind me, "do you want to die over an iPhone?"
>"lol nope"

I get it, it's really easy to to fly wherever you want these days. But if you're going to impoverished parts of the world, you better come with better judgment skills so that you don't need your phone to tell you what the fuck to do.
>>
>>1169742
This is important. Asians always travel in packs but if they had one native they can trust, it'd be a lot better for them.
>>
Well first mistake is being in a hostel if you expect to meet anyone mature, intelligent, worldly, of well informed. All I've ever met in those places are insufferable 20-somethings who just want new places to get drunk and have sex with random strangers. Second problem is that travel is now the 'it" thing to do, so you get people who do it just to post about on their twitter, not because they actually have an interest in the place they are.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.