[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Japan General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 324
Thread images: 28

File: IMG_5587.jpg (130KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5587.jpg
130KB, 1000x667px
New Japan General, Kagoshima Edition

As always, feel free to ask about:
>Traveling to Japan
>Living in Japan
>Teaching in Japan
>Joining the Yakuza
>Getting your weeb fantasies crushed

*Info on prostitution*
>http://rockitreports.com/category/sex-in-tokyo/
>http://erolin.net/

*Note about the JR Pass*
Many people ask about whether or not the JR Rail Pass is worth it. It depends on your itinerary.

>http://www.hyperdia.com/en/
Plug your itinerary into Hyperdia to determine ticket costs, then compare to the below JR Pass options:
>7 day Pass: 29,110¥
>14 day Pass: 46,390¥
>21 day Pass: 59,350¥

Please check the /trv/ sticky before asking questions. It's filled with links to great resources, many of them specific to Japan travel.

Please refer to the old thread while it's still up: >>1162419
>>
23 y/o american here, how do I get an anime gf in japan?
>>
File: hachikuji.jpg (3MB, 3456x5184px) Image search: [Google]
hachikuji.jpg
3MB, 3456x5184px
>>1164930
why go to Japan? You can get an anime gf at home
>>
So climbing Mt Fuji is easy right?
>>
>>1164943
yes
>>
>>1164943
If you're sporty and in good condition, and don't get nauseous in high altitudes, yeah, possibly.
It's still a pretty high mountain to climb.
>>
>>1165012
old people and children climb it. It's more of a really long hike than a proper mountain climb
>>
>>1164943
As long as you're not a vegan then you can do it.
>>
File: skross.jpg (23KB, 485x600px) Image search: [Google]
skross.jpg
23KB, 485x600px
Is it easy to buy a power adapter when I arrive in Japan?

Pic related is the only thing I find for worldwide use, but I've read conflicting things about it working or not and it's manual says "use might be restricted" in Japan.
>>
Best place to exchange my USD to JPY?

- My bank in the USA?
- Bank in JPN?
- Or just withdraw money from a Seven Bank ATM in JPN if I only incur a $5USD fee from my home bank?
>>
File: image.png (264KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
264KB, 1000x1000px
Reposting once per thread.

4chan meet up in Tokyo, late December (somewhere around 27-31)
Comiket-Akiba hangout.

Drop a line to Kensamameetup (at) gmail to stay updated.
>>
>>1165092
Well shit, I will consider this.
>>
>>1165092
too bad i'm going in november
>>
>>1165065
Where do you live? In the USA, you can get adapters in Walmart or Target for sure. Or pick one up in he airport shops before leaving your home airport.
>>
Just wanted to remind the thicc gaijin broad that was asking about clothes in the last thread, when I find you, I am going to fug you.

I'm gonna buy you dinner, and fug you.
>>
>>1165083
>My bank.
Best option.
>In the USA.
Haha no, you'll get mugged before you make it to the airport.

I'd say a bank in Japan, so you can get it all at once.
>>
Is the yen projected to be weaker or stronger than the dollar by December?
Is it just too far out to tell?
>>
>>1165170
It most likely be the same as now. Unless something big happens economically speaking.
>>
Bought cheap airfares to Japan on a whim, spending NYE in Tokyo.

Any suggestions where to go on NYE? What to do?
>>
>>1165092
Heading there in January. Post pics.
>>
>>1165170
If we could predict that why would we tell you and not use that information to become millionaires?
>>
>>1165191
When in January? I'll be there later in the month.
>>
>>1165201
I land in Fukuoka on the 21st, but I'll be going straight WWOOF'ing.
>>
>>1165180
Sky Tree/Tokyo Tower lights up, but Japan is kind of lame for NYE. Then on NYD, everyone goes to temple to pray so most shit is closed.
>>
Is travelling between Asakusa and Shibuya at night, potentially after drinking, going to be a huge pain in the ass?

We're looking at a ~20 minute walk to Asakusa station, too..
>>
>>1165213
About a 25 minute subway ride if you take the Ginza line. No transfers and gets off at a really accessible place in Asakusa
>>
how is the gay scene? ive looked it up and some places accept foreigners, although I know when they say that they mean white people.

How are foreign gay asians treated?
>>
File: xBLIuJ5.png (246KB, 500x376px) Image search: [Google]
xBLIuJ5.png
246KB, 500x376px
Hey guys so I am going to be living in Japan for the next 6 months. I don't know an excessive amount of Japanese culture or speak the language, though I am hoping to pick these up while I am there. Is there anything I should know before I go that you wish you had known? I will be living in Niseko if that matters and managing a ski lodge.

One thing I really would appreciate is a resource for Japanese recipes, last time I was there I struggled cooking for myself because of how different a lot of the ingredients were. Once I found recipes it was fine but jury rigging a meal was very difficult.
>>
File: 1[1].jpg (150KB, 250x405px) Image search: [Google]
1[1].jpg
150KB, 250x405px
>>1165224
If you can find this book, I highly recommend it. It has a variety of Japanese recipes, from salads to soups to pickles to fried foods, simmered dishes, desserts, and more. Plus, it has the English recipe on one page and the Japanese one on the opposite, so if you're unsure about the names of the ingredients in Japanese, you can check super easily.

Also keep in mind that a US cup is equal to 240 cc whereas an international cup (what's used in Japan) is only 200 cc if you plan on converting.
>>
>>1165225

This is an enormous help, thankyou so much.
>>
>>1165224
>Niseko managing a ski lodge

Another anon here. If you really want to see Japanese culture/Japanese people I suggest you plan on getting away from Niseko as often as possible. No kidding the place is 90% Australians and Chinese.
>>
>>1165229

Yeah that is going to be unfortunate, a major part of why I am going there is for the skiing though.

I'm spending some time in Tokyo with local friends though and will probably do some travel on my off time.
>>
>>1165083
Your bank or a seven bank atm will work. Check how much you can withdraw per day overseas. Or just exchange your money at the airport. Keep an eye on your money in the US, carry it on your body, but once you're in Japan no one is going to steal your stuff.
>>
>>1165230

Well, the skiing is excellent, so there's that to look forward to. Also, it's easy enough to take the bus or train to Sapporo from Kutchan, so weekend trips to the "big city" are definitely doable. You may be able to see some of the rest of Hokkaido as well, although you'll be here mostly in winter and getting around then can sometimes be iffy.
>>
What's a good app or website for bus routs? Some of the places I'm looking at don't have trains too them.
>>
How do I join the Osaka yakuza?
>>
>>1165103
Me too. 4-24
>>
Please recommend me itinerary for 2 days and 3 nights in Tokyo.
>>
>>1165262
Go to Roppongi
>>
>>1165265
What's its main attraction?
>>
Is Japan good place for first solo trip?
>>
File: 1459766424o2978n-800X600.jpg (326KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1459766424o2978n-800X600.jpg
326KB, 800x600px
I've wanted to go to Tokyo for so long now I worry it won't live up to my expectations when I finally save up.
>>
Hey /trv/, I'm 18 years old and going on my first solo trip internationally on 2nd to 30th December.

I've booked the flights, and the AirBnb accommodation, now I just need to figure out what places I'm going to visit.

I've got apartments booked in Tokyo and Osaka, and I plan on using the 14-day JR Pass to go to Osaka at the start of the second week in Japan and then use the train to go to a bunch of different places, including Kyoto. Then just before it expires I'm going to head back to Tokyo for the last week of the trip.

Are there any places you guys would recommend I check out outside of the cities? Did I fuck up anything with my itinerary from what you can see?

Thanks.
>>
Does anyone know anything about claiming unaccompanied baggage from Japan to the US? I'm headed back in a month and I've got two extra boxes of stuff beyond my luggage that I want to bring back with me.
>>
>>1165296
Don't buy a JR pass, buy a plane ticket Tokyo-Osaka-Tokyo.
>>
>>1165298
What do you suggest I use to get around the places I want to go to that are outside the cities? Would a normal train be able to get me there?
>>
Staying in Tokyo six nights then going to Hakone and then Kyoto and Osaka, works out cheaper not to buy a rail pass.
Is it easy to buy tickets in Japan if you cannot read Japanese? Do tickets on Shinkansen need to be bought in advanced or on the day? Can I get a suica or similar as a tourist?
>>
>>1165235

Yeah I am hoping it won't be too difficult to adapt to the new climate, I hear they are expecting something like 22 meters this year due to El Nina weather patterns.
>>
People are saying that juli-august is way too humid to go to Japan, is this true? it's the only time I can go because of school so that would suck.
>>
>>1165301
>Is it easy to buy tickets in Japan if you cannot read Japanese?
Yeah, most of the ticket booths will have an English option/button.

>Do tickets on Shinkansen need to be bought in advanced or on the day?
I have never needed to buy a ticket in advance for the Shinkansen.

>Can I get a suica or similar as a tourist?
Of course. It's incredibly convenient and I can only imagine how horrendous getting around without one would be.
>>
For those of you who've been there;

What was the best thing about Japan?
What was the wort thing?
What surprised you the most?
>>
>>1165307
Adding to this, just keep your Suica/Icoca/Manaca charged and don't worry about trying to use the machines to get specific tickets (unless you need an express/limited-express train or something)
>>
>>1165306
I keep hearing this over and over, but I'm from QLD Australia and it's so much drier there than it ever gets here..

>>1165267
Alcohol and yakuza?

I added a bunch of people from a language exchange site last night to practice listening and pronunciation and have already been asked to jerk off on webcam.
I guess degenerates really are universal.
>>
>>1165310
Speaking as someone who lived here for a year

>Best
How easy it is to have a hobby. There's hobby/specialty shops almost everywhere for almost everything. Downside is everything's a bit more expensive than the US.

>Worst
Lack of ovens.

>Surprising
The amount of effort any given Japanese person will put into their work. The best haircuts I've gotten were in Japan and they cost me the equivalent of $13. Little tiny hole-in-the-wall restaurants will go through a lot of trouble to fuss with the presentation of the food.
>>
>>1165315
Pshh, I've gotten fabulous cuts from Vietnamese immigrants that costed me $6
>>
File: 1409633035287.jpg (27KB, 437x471px) Image search: [Google]
1409633035287.jpg
27KB, 437x471px
Is it worth it to go visit Himeji Castle as a day trip from Osaka?
>>
>>1165315
Speaking of haircuts, I got my most dedicated one in a slum in Morocco. Tiny hole in the wall run down barber shop with a very energetic barber. He spent one fucking hour getting my hair in the sharpest fucking shape, to the point where his hands were cramping. I paid him 200 Dirham which was like ten times the listed rate, but the haji had fucking earned it.
>>
>>1165306
Where are you from? The east coast of the US is much worse and the humidity in Japan is extremely overstated. Sure its not great but its not like the Middle East
>>
Do Japan have student dormitories? Or similar places to meet groups of open, young people?
>>
>>1165312
Haha, fuck. I just opened Line to say goodnight and got an eyeful of Hiro's dick.

Alrighty.
>>
>>1165293
sure why not
>>1165297
I would recommend sending it via mail, cost me 5000 Yen to send a package to Europe, arrived within 2 weeks
>>1165306
it was humid AF in August, but I love that kind of hot humidity so it was very pleasant for me.
>>1165333
they have student dormitories but not sure if they'll just allow randos to go in there. If you want to meet people, I would recommend language exchange places
>>
>>1165333
Student dorms are extremely rare. Most colleges, people just commute from home
>>
>>1165336
>language exchange places
What are these?
>>
>>1165343
check out meetup.com or couchsurfing and you should be able to find some events
>>
So, I have to go through USA in order to get to Japan. I'm Uruguayan but I do have an Italian passport.
Do I have to get any permissions to make a stopover at USA? Someone told me that even if you are going to stay at the American airport for only an hour, you would still need permissions.
Is that right? Any advice?
>>
>>1165348
advice: call your embassy. I don't think you need a visa if you're staying in the same airport though, but double check to make sure
>>
File: 81fDh4uQD4L._SX522_.jpg (20KB, 522x522px) Image search: [Google]
81fDh4uQD4L._SX522_.jpg
20KB, 522x522px
>>1165065
For Japan, the important thing is that it comes without a ground contact, as most Japanese sockets come without them. See pic.
Also they have a 100V power grid that's split half into 50Hz and 60Hz . Make sure your electronics can cope.

I'm told you can find adapters easily enough at the airport (ripoff prices, though), or if you go to a large electronics chain like Yodobashi Camera in Japan.

Depending on what you want to charge, do consider buying a worldwide USB charger instead.
>>
File: IMAG1738.jpg (3MB, 4208x2368px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG1738.jpg
3MB, 4208x2368px
>>1165320
I would say it's definitely worth it. However, there's not much to do in Himeji otherwise.
>>
>>1165362
Norway, which is the reason for the lack of choices

>>1165104
My camera and laptop needs an outlet to charge so I need an adapter.
It seems the adapter I was looking at had the earthed pin as well so I think I'll try my luck at the airport or at Yodobashi Camera.
>>
>>1165294
>Want to travel to Japan
>Afraid im not gonna have a good time and it will feel like a waste of 2k
>>
File: itinerary.png (33KB, 637x614px) Image search: [Google]
itinerary.png
33KB, 637x614px
Would this itinerary give me enough time to explore each city? I don't want to feel rushed, but want to see as much as I can in 2 weeks. I plan on getting the 14-day JR pass.

Any tips on rearranging it for more efficient travel? Or anything I should cut out?
>>
>>1165372
Adapters for a particular plug type are cheaper at Walmart than at the airport, but the one you get at the airport will certainly work. Although when you say "earthed: instead of "grounded," I realize you may not be in the Land of Happy Walmart, so this may not be useful for you..

If all else fails, Japan is the Land of Electronics, you should be able to find what you need.

Safe travels,
>>
>>1165397
Any reason you're going to Kyoto for 4 days? I'd honestly swap out two of those days for extra time in Osaka, but that's just me. I did Kyoto in a day.
>>
>>1165397
I was in Kyoto for four days too during my trip, and it's possible to stretch it over four days, especially if you take a detour to Nara.
There's not all that much to do there, though, and I'd only recommend it if you want a bit of a breather in your trip.
>>
>>1165430
>>1165433
No particular reason, other than a few easy days not spent traveling. Would it make more sense to spend the 15th and 16th in Osaka, and take a day trip to Nara from there?
>>
Going to Japan for a week. Staying at the Park Hyatt Tokyo and the Andaz Toraemon (sp) for those fish days. What is nearby and what should I 100% do?
>>
What beers are an absolute must to try in Japan? I'm more or an IPA, Porter, and Stout person, but I am willing to try anything.
>>
>>1165453
They all taste the same, so pick one at random from 7-11.
>>
>>1165310

>Best
Food and kindness, hands down. People will do anything to make sure you are accommodated. And even the shittiest izakaya will have something that blows you away.

>Worst
This is a personal one because I'm an Americunt with tons of tattoo's. But the absolute disdain the overall view of tattoo's there. 6'2 fit white male here, and they still looked at me like I was Yakuza. Otherwise the smell's in major cities can be a bit unsettling at times.

>Surprising
How easy it was to find a tranquil peaceful spot no matter how close you were to the heart of a city. Truly amazing.
>>
>>1165306

I went in August during the "hottest/most humid" time.

It's bad, but It wasn't unbearable. I'm from Chicago, and it wasn't any worse then our summers.
>>
>>1165444
I don't think it's necessary to spend more than 1-2 days in Osaka. You should definitely go to Nara and maybe Himeji.

>>1165453
I personally like Asahi, but generally the beers you get in the convenience stores are all a bit bland. I'm sure you can get dark beer as well, but probably only in some specialty shops.
>>
>>1165410
There's also the fact that he literally said he's from norway in the very post you're responding to.
>>
>>1165467
I've already had Asahi, was pretty decent. I'll do some more research.
>>1165457
Do you mean all Japanese beer or just beer in general? Because you're wrong on both.
>>
Any of you guys have any recommendations for some good ryokans that you can visit for a day? My boyfriend and I will be in the Tokyo area, Kyoto, Nara and Osaka. We already have places to stay and don't care to stay overnight in a ryokan. Just curious if there are some nice places we can have a private bath together for a few hours or so?
>>
File: 1382059841457.png (151KB, 481x357px) Image search: [Google]
1382059841457.png
151KB, 481x357px
I leave for Japan in 3 days, and I'm so anxious! I hope I don't forget anything, and that the weather is reasonable.
>>
>>1165459
I'm a bit bummed that my single leg tattoo will bar me from most onsens, but I accept that their culture is different than mine, and ultimately, I knew that it was a possibility when I got the thing.,

Still, it does suck.
>>
>>1165483
Same, I knew when I got my ink I would have to live with situations like this.

Honestly, depending on size, you may be able to get away with it in certain onsens. I have a full sleeve and full chest piece. Even though you could tell they didn't approve. They still treated me with respect and helped out every way they could.
>>
>>1165483
>Wanting to stew in other people's filth
>which has been collecting for years
>>
>>1165483
It's not really a strict rule for the sake of barring people with tattoos - it's a politely roundabout way of keeping yakuza members and criminals from going there.
Some places might split hairs and ban you because of that one tattoo, but it's more likely that they can see you're not the kind of person they want to keep out.
>>
>>1165478

This is pretty much an impossibility. Ryokans are like hotels; they let rooms for the night. So you'd have to pay for a full night (which usually includes two meals, and so can be quite expensive) for a few hours' use. Better to go to an onsen; if you do your research I'm sure you can find one with private rooms.
>>
>>1165453
If you like porters try Yo-Ho Sorry Imperial Porter
>>
>>1165453
why are you going to the sake capital of the world asking about beers?
>>
you guys like john daub and his show only in japan?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0-oNv51j9o

i've gotten a little addicted and have been binge watching episodes. they're really well produced and have a comfy atmosphere to them.
>>
>>1165522
His narration is annoying at best and those music choices are retarded.
>>
>>1165483
I'm glad that mine is small enough to slap a water-resistant bandage over, but onsens are fucking gross anyway.
>>
>>1165531
They're actually extremely clean. Or do you mean gross in that you think being naked around another person of the same sex will turn you gay?
>>
>>1165526
i think the music is fairly unobtrusive but whatever
>>
Is it possible to get a fake Tasco card, or to get purchase one from someone else?
>>
>>1165487
>has been collecting for years
You do know that they're emptied, cleaned, and refilled at least every day, right?
>>
>>1165543
You mean for the tobacco machines? Vending machines are the worst deal for buying anything and if your filthy habit is so bad you can't make it to a conbini you really should take a look back at your habit
>>
Is it worth it to visit the Tsukiji Fish Market to see the tuna auctions?

Also, what is the best way to find out if a hotel allows you to have guests in your room if it's not specified anywhere online?
I'm guessing asking at the reception, but to me it just screams out that I'm gonna have prostitutes over.
>>
>>1165267
Overpriced drinks to tourists and potentially getting drugged.
>>
>>1165296
If you take a bullet train you'll probably leave Tokyo from either Shinagawa or Tokyo JR station and arrive at Shin-Osaka station. Then you head to a different track to go one more stop (by Rapid Service or Special Rapid Service train, not bullet train) to get to Osaka. That will take about 3 minutes.Then reverse it when you head back.

The bullet train is more expensive than flying, but it's also more convenient. If you want to take a plane, consider how long it takes to get from the airport to the city, as well as how much it costs. For example, all the airports around Osaka will take you at least an hour, by special rapid service trains to get to Osaka JR station, costing around 1,000-1,500 yen one-way. You can also pay to take a bus in, which costs around 1,500 yen, but it still takes an hour.

I'd take a bullet train. Sit on the right side from Tokyo-Osaka and you might see Mt. Fuji.

Outside of Osaka you can check out, Nara and Kobe.
>>
>>1165320
It's cool since they finished refurbishing it last year. I hope you like ladders. I heard it's beautiful during cherry blossom season too, so pack a picnic/buy something from a convenience store and go if you're there around March-April.

I really love the friendly cats though. I also love the Kobe Park/gardens to the left of the castle, pay admission (idk, like 500-1,000 yen?) and you get to check out a bunch of Japanese gardens. Fall and spring are great times to view. There is also a tea house you pay around 500 yen to have green tea and a Japanese sweet while you view the garden from a window. It's very nice. Then I think there are some temples or shrines to the right of the castle you can check out too.
>>
>>1165561
Nah it's just that what if the person at the convenience store sees that I'm not 20 years old?

And this is for both tobacco and alcohol.
>>
>>1165579
Thanks for the help!
>>
Any suggestions for things to see/do around the world heritage site in Nikko Tochigi?
>>
Would it be feasible to visit the major Tokyo districts in one day?

Itinerary as follows.
Start Tsukiji (breakfast)
Asakusa (Sensoji)
Kappabashi
Ueno Park (torii gates)
Ikebukuro (Namjatown)
Shinjuku (Isetan food mall, Tokyo Metropolitan building)
Harajuku (Takeshita Street, Meiji temple.)
Shibuya (Hachiko, patisserie sadaharu)
Shimbashi/Ginza (Sanrio, Under the rail izakayas)

Also, do you guys have any suggestions for top pastry in Tokyo? Or any suggestions to adjust my itinerary?
>>
>>1165589
You could do it, but you wouldn't be able to do anything significant in those places. You'll just be able to say that you've been there.
>>
>>1165591
Any suggestions where I should focus my efforts? I can drop a few targets to make time.
>>
>>1165589
I should also make it clear that I am a Pastry cook and am interested in Wagashi and Asian /European fusion pastries
>>
File: 1468737836095.png (900KB, 1000x1399px) Image search: [Google]
1468737836095.png
900KB, 1000x1399px
>>1165092
Wow, I JUST booked my flight to Japan for those days.

So I'm going to Japan from Dec 26th to the 2nd of January via Narita airport. During that time, I have NO fucking idea what I'm going to do. Something something eat a lot of food, something something go shopping, but other than that I'm lost.

What should a fat loser who doesn't like anime do in Japan?
>>
>>1165092
I'd totally join in on this if it isn't too autistic.
>>
>>1165306
Dude, I'm in Tokyo right now and the weather is miserable right now. Feels more humid than South Carolina.
>>
if i manage to get into the tsukiji tuna auctions in the crack of dawn but free roaming the marketplace area isn't really possible until 10 or 11, is there anything in the area i could do or see in between then
>>
Gonna be in Japan for two weeks next Fall, how much ground can I cover in that amount of time?
>>
As someone coming from a warm climate (lowest temp during winter here is about 1 degrees celsius) how fucked am I going to Japan during late December?

Any tips for dressing and getting around during the cold?
>>
>>1165610
Probably the airport. Maybe take a walk around the train station, but that's pushing it
>>
I think I'm retarded. Can you purchase the JR Pass over the phone or do you have to do it in person with an agent at an office?
>>
>>1165602
But is it managable? Does it ruin the experience for you ?
>>
>>1165577
>potentially getting drugged.
Shiiiiit, son. Sign me up. I have no idea how I'd find drugs in Japan otherwise.

>>1165575
It looks pretty cool! I'll be going for the morning before training out to Kyoto for a week.
..ARE you going to have prostitutes over?

Does anybody know what the Uber service is like in Tokyo? I know that taxis are already super cheap..
>>
>>1165627
you'll get robbed too so just take some cash.
>>
>>1165622
You can do it all online afaik beforehand and then head to one of the many places in Japan to pick it up. Airport is your best bet
>>
>>1165614
Bundle up and wear layers. Uniqlo sells some really nice thermal gear for a fair price.

>>1165622
The website has a list of agencies that you contact according to where you live. Coincidentally the agency I had to contact for the JR pass was the same place I had to contact for Ghibli tickets so I was able to get both sent to me in the same envelope (and thus save on shipping). You can call or email the agency; I found it easier to email.

>>1165624
Not that anon but the humidity IMO is very manageable, especially this time of year it isn't nearly as bad as during the summer. It may take some adjusting but you will get used to it. I find it helpful to avoid using aircon as much as possible in order to acclimate faster.
>>
more of a weeb question, but do you know if toy/hobby shop prices are wildly different from what you'd find online?

i've been shopping for nerd shit online and have been hesitant to buy anything on the off chance i find a better deal when i'm actually in tokyo
>>
>>1165648
You mean compared to like Mandarake? Comparing online Japanese stores to physical Japanese stores - The same price less shipping, generally.

Certainly cheaper than the jacked up prices US stores have.

Come to think of it, I want to see if I can finally pick up the Mio Figma somewhere. I've been one member short of K-On for a year..
>>
>>1165651
>same price less shipping
okay, cool. so there probably won't be any flash sale clearance items that severely undercut mandarake prices
>>
I'm an average looking, tall Scandinavian that isn't socially incompetent, autistic, or weeb-like. I come off as a polite, confident young man.

What are my chances with Japanese girls, given that I treat them like any other gal? Yes, I do get laid at home.
>>
>>1165243
Get a tattoo of your favorite animal on your back and walk around town shirtless for around 6-7 hours. If you've done everything right you should find a formal invitation in your mailbox 99% of the time.
>>
>>1165653
A lot of times online is much worse as well since a lot of the online retailers either don't accept credit cards or make you pay the credit card fees. That leaves you with your only option being bank transfer and a lot of places will make you pay the transfer to a different bank fee as well.
>>
>>1165597
It's hard to predict but so far all the e mail replies I got were really nice and adequate. Avg age ~25 although it's not a good metric
>>
>>1165581
99% of the time they don't check and if they do, you play the naja gaijin card an move on to the combini down the street
>>
>>1165603
Karaoke
>>
>>1165677
I hope they don't. Do you think there's a difference in the percentage of workers who give a fuck about the age depending on the store?

Like, would someone from 7/11 care more compared to someone working at just a normal convenience store?
>>
>>1165683
They'll just see you're a gaijin and not care, in some combinis they'll be a touch screen in front of you asking if you're 20+ which the combini employee will most likely hit yes for you.
>>
>>1165695
That's good to know.

Why do you say that vending machines are the worst deal for buying anything? Is everything more expensive than in a store?
>>
>>1165683
Drinking is only a big deal in the US. 99% of people don't care and think its totally fine for underage people to drink atleast a little bit. Plus Japanese can not tell the ages of foreigners accurately. Its not a big fucking deal
>>
>>1165696
I love vending machines, but I wouldn't use the ones for alcohol or smokes unless there is no conbini nearby. For normal drinks, it's absolutely amazing to have a vending machine around every corner and it's not significantly more expensive than in stores, if at all
>>
File: udon-in-bath.jpg (246KB, 580x705px) Image search: [Google]
udon-in-bath.jpg
246KB, 580x705px
Is anyone aroused by the sight and sound of people slurping noodles?
>>
>>1165713
Do I have a billion idol shows for you to watch.
You could probably fap to Japanese daytime TV, too. I don't think I've seen a daytime variety show without some kind of food segment.
>>
File: wpid-1405735177828.jpg (194KB, 1440x810px) Image search: [Google]
wpid-1405735177828.jpg
194KB, 1440x810px
>>1165720
>>
>>1165722
>>
File: 1423700955811.jpg (50KB, 512x288px) Image search: [Google]
1423700955811.jpg
50KB, 512x288px
>>1165723
Japanese producers know exactly what they're doing
>>
>>1165092
>Comiket
>actually happening not in disgusting summer/times I can't travel

it's a fucking miracle
>>
>>1165575
>>1165627
I was kinda hoping it wasn't anything special since it seems abit difficult getting there early for the queue.

And yes, I am considering ordering some delivery health services.
>>
>>1165734
The comiket always was in summer and in winter
>>
>>1165478
Thanks. I don't know why I always mix the two up.
>>
>>1165770
whoops meant to reply to >>1165489
>>
>>1165556
Depends on the onsen.
Natural volcanic springs most certainly aren't emptied and refilled.
>>
>>1165651
Most walk-in shops I found were more expensive than most online retailers Amiami, Manda, etc., especially in Akiba.
It definitely helps if you prepare by looking up prices if you're interested in specific items (or look them up for a couple of common items so you can gauge the shop's price level).
>>
okay realtalk now I'll be in Tokyo for 3 months. how easy is getting pussy as a white guy? heard that japs are pretty awkward when it comes to sex stuff
>>
>>1165789
I had the same experience. What's worse is if you are looking for something somewhat rare, it's gonna be a pain in the ass to find, I walked through about 20 different stores with no luck and ended up just ordering it online.

Perhaps the nicest thing is you can order from amazon jp (especially the used section) and suruga ya without worrying about using a proxy.
>>
>>1165806
It's in the sticky. It's as easy as it is in your home country.
In fact, the correct answer seems to be "if you have to ask, you have so many ulterior intentions that it'll show and enough doubts that you'll never score, not to mention seeing women as objects where you have to push the right buttons and sex comes out".
Go get laid. If you need more than that, you're not the type who gets laid in the first place.
>>
>>1165816
I'm getting laid at home it's just that I will be there for 3 months and I don't want to go for that long without banging you know? I asked because I've heard that their sex ed is pretty fucked up and even holding hands/hugging is considered major over there. not trying to be a creep
>>
File: 11.jpg (114KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
11.jpg
114KB, 500x667px
>>1165310

>best:

Nicest people ever. Random lady helped me carry my heavy suitcase down a huge flight of stairs , people always helped me with directions, even going so far as to lead me in the direction to go, and the cashiers were always patient when I had to count my change out.

It's incredibly safe too. I'm a 5'4", 100 lb. white girl and I wandered the streets alone at night without a single worry. Not many people stay out past sundown unless it's a party area. The occasional schoolgirl or businessman would ride by on a bike after 8pm and you could hear a pin-drop even on main roads....it was very cozy desu

Also clean as FUCK. The subway stations and subways themselves were practically sparkling.

>worst:

Nothing? I guess the fact that there are no trash cans anywhere and you have to carry around empty bottles/cans/wrappers until you find a recycle bin.

Also, all the walking/climbing was hell in mid-July. Not good for fatties.

>Surprises:

Probably how many dudes snapped pictures of me without asking. I read that they're required to now ask for consent for pictures, so plenty did, but there were still a lot of creeps that very obviously took pictures...the phones there don't have silent cameras just because there are so many pervs, so you could literally hear the camera sound on their phones...it was awkward.

Also probably how incredible conbini (convenient stores) are. You can literally live off of great meals there if you're bad at the language and are afraid to order at restaurants. I had to eat my meals there the last few nights because I ran out of cash and the ATMs couldn't read my card.

(pic: random dinner we had one night)
>>
>>1165818
Do you think it's a land of virgins?
People have sex in Japan like they do in any other country - but if I have to give you any advice, it would be that the Japanese sex and dating norms are a bit wonky.
Most of this is because of pressure from the US and Korea, both directly political (helping in NGOs and political organizations that push Western and sometimes even SJW norms) and sometimes indirectly so (spreading the image in the media that men are up to no good, and that any man who's not rich, good-looking and kind at that is a useless leech).
Combined with the fact that Japanese culture also places a lot of emphasis on study and work, this makes it more or less impossible for men to keep up good performances on all points, and more and more men have started fleeing to idols and anime in order to escape an ever-rising hurdle spread by American NGOs and Korea Wave romance dramas portraying romance as something perfect where you're being raped if your husband isn't your perfect dream prince.
This is fucking up things all around - women are becoming more likely to leech off of good-looking or nice-seeming men and/or be misled by love at first sight seeming like "destiny", while men are more likely to have to withdraw from the dating scene for fear of having their social life destroyed by a rape accusation or a messy breakup.
This means that the people left who date casually and have overt physical contact are often limited to delinquents, good-for-nothings, club kids and petty criminals with no social status to lose and nowhere to climb - and as a gaijin, you're pretty much outside of that.
You're going to attract girls if you're good-looking, but a lot of them are going to be delinquents who treat you like the previous American soldier they fucked, or they're going to be disillusioned office ladies who want to find a man without being hit with the stigma of being a domestically abused doormat and just want you because you have no strings attached.
>>
Uh, okay.
>>
>>1165822
>small, skinny white girl surprised that people help her with things
lel
Do you normally reside in a ghetto or something?
>>
>>1165830

Las Vegas, which is pretty much one big ghetto.
>>
>>1165831
Ah. Makes sense then.
>>
>>1165310

>best
Food. Seriously. I've been all over the world and Japan has the best overall food for almost every high end cuisine. They're lacking in good comfort food (like soul food, central/south american fare, caribbean, etc), but the best French, Italian, steak, traditional Chinese, and (obv) Japanese I've had have been in Japan. I can't overstate this.

>wort
U WORT MATE?
Worst parts... trains shut down in Tokyo, I'll never be truly accepted and integrated, it's halfway around the world, there's little value on life and lifestyle, the casual racism can occasional get grating (but never as bad and rarely overt as western racism)...

>supplies
Even before I could speak any Japanese, I was able to connect with people in their broken English, my broken Japanese, and Google translate. I had people offer rides from a remote ryokan to my train station while I was waiting for the bus, I made friends in bars and restaurants, I had j-bros trying to hook me up with girls they knew while dancing... now that I speak a little bit, I'm meeting even more people and making even more friends. For a society (and, in Tokyo's case, a city) profiled as reserved and xenophobic, it's amazing that I've had more luck there with connections than in English speaking countries I've traveled to.
>>
Yo Justin Bieber here. I'm incredibly rich, famous, have no outward qualities that aren't extremely attractive to the opposite sex and women find me irresistable based on looks alone. What are my chances of Having Sexual Relations with a Japanese girl?

I'm NOT a weeb!
>>
I have a very tall black friend who visited Japan a couple months ago, and he said that his entire trip he got strange looks, people taking pictures of him, etc. People were still very nice, but it got old very quickly.

I would like to visit Japan, and I am white and even taller than him (6'6"). Will the same sort of thing be happening to me, or was it likely more of a race thing in his case?
>>
>>1165908
I'm 6'9 and I can tell you that even though I haven't been to japan specifically, most asian countries will have people here and there wanting to take pictures with you.
Just embrace it, broseph. Take some pictures of your own, it will be equally hilarious as they will likely be barely above nipple level for you.
I walked by a japanese tour group in egypt once and I swear they were all eye level with my belly button.
>>
>>1165908
>>1165910
>5'10" whiter-than-the-moon girl.
Hell, I once had a group of asian tourists in my own city stop and take photos of me at the beach.

I don't think it's inherently racist, it's just because you're a novelty.
>>
>>1165913
Being 6'9 and paper white makes me stand out like a lit candle in an anthill.
I envy your ability to wear large hats and big ass shades. Not to mention being able to duck down into the crowd.
Could also do without the ritual of limbo dancing into any establishment in a fruitless attempt to avoid eskimo-kissing every cobweb in glorious nippon.
>>
>>1165908
>>1165910
>>1165913
Am 6'4 and visited Japan with my 6'2 girlfriend. We are both white, blonde hair and blue eyed, it was the most bizarrely hilarious experiences of our lives. People were very nice and enthusiastic about talking to us and taking pictures. She was more of the attraction I think, but we both got lots of offers for free food and stuff. Felt like we were celebrities.
>>
>>1165818
>not trying to be a creep
trying and failing
>>
>>1165836
japan sounds great

i've been living in taiwan for a year teaching english and japan sounds like an improvement in nearly every aspect.

or maybe i've just been living here wrong.
>>
>>1165910
>most asian countries will have people here and there wanting to take pictures with you
Yeah, it's just that in Japan, they're not just doing it to pickpocket you while you're distracted.
>>
Any idea what the ドライ button on a washing machine does? I pressed it hoping for a dryer cycle and immediately heard water pouring in.
>>
>>1165967
It's for delicates. The drum doesn't rotate much at all.
>>
Hey Guys,

Im planing a Bucks Party in Japan, any one have some fun ideas for a random bunch of Australians?

Not looking for a typical western style "adult" bucks week but more exploring and things out of the ordinary.

I appreciate your help :)
>>
>>1165596
That's an awfully short time to be in Japan.

With that much time you should probably stay in the Tokyo area. Go to Shinkjuku, Akihabara, Harajuku, Ameyakocho etc and you'll be set.
>>
>>1165970
You sound like a bro
>>
>>1165306
Went in august. It's very hot and humid, but I didn't mind it much
>>
what to do in hokkaido at wintertime other than skiing ? how do you get around ? im travelling for around 20 days this december and im planning to spend 7 days in hokkaido, 7 in tokyo, another 5 in osaka and 5 in fukuoka. i dont know how cold is it so please give me some advice for clothing.
>>
Should I use Airbnb or just try to find hostels?

Also, I was planning on going in June but should I put it off until July so that I would be able to climb Mt. Fuji?

This trip will be with myself and a male cousin.
>>
>>1166041
Go for Airbnb! Admittedly my group is five people, but we're only paying $25p/n each, and it's going to be so much better to get back at night and drink/hang out/watch stupid Japanese tv together than trying to coordinate from separate hotel rooms.
>>
>>1166041
you can do both. Hostels are better for meeting people, but it can get tiring having to share a room at all times (especially if you just want to sleep and not party/socialize).

>Also, I was planning on going in June but should I put it off until July so that I would be able to climb Mt. Fuji?

that depends on if you want to climb. It's an okay experience imo, but I wouldn't do it twice personally
>>
File: IMG_0459.jpg (4MB, 4608x3072px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0459.jpg
4MB, 4608x3072px
Does anyone here have experience teaching in Japan with ECC? I have an interview with them next month, and I'm wondering how best to prepare for it. I've heard the grammar test is something to study for, and that one should be as animated and energetic as possible during teaching demos.

Also, they list a letter of recommendation as something optional to bring, mostly if you've taught overseas before. I've been working freelance for the last year+ and have been out of college for a couple of years, so I don't really have someone to write a letter. Will this disqualify me right away?
>>
>>1166053
I'm interested in climbing it just for the one time experience, I am just not sure if it's worth being there during the hit temps just for a hike.
>>
>>1166053
>but I wouldn't do it twice personally
I'm told "A wise man will climb Mt Fuji once; a fool will climb Mt Fuji twice" is an actuaal Japanese saying.

>>1166078
I passed up on going this summer to climb it; mostly because I'm a fat slob so climbing it wasn't realistic anyway, though. The only other attractive thing are the summer festivals in that time, so I shelved that experience for later; I'd rather go in spring or fall when the weather is comfy.
>>
>>1165310
>What was the best thing about Japan?
For me it was how different the culture was, the food and the airbnb hosts who couldn't be more awesome.
>What was the wort thing?
Summer
>What surprised you the most?
It's a toss up between
-How easy it was to get by with almost 0 japanese conversation knowledge and absolutely no idea how to read it.
-How cheap it can be without paying too much attention to budget even though everyone and their mom warned me about "how expensive it is" and "how you'd easily spend 50 euro on a single meal"... Yes it's easy to do that, but it's also easy to find a cheap and good place to eat.
>>
>>1165487
>all this overreacting
I'd never take a subway if I were you.
>>
>>1166136
do you go out to eat for every meal or do you cook?
>>
I'm in a bit of a quandary. Not asking anyone to decide anything for me, but I'd just like to field some opinions.

I'm planning a trip to Japan that will last around 15-18 days, consisting of time spent in Tokyo, Kyoto, and maybe Osaka.

I come here because I'm feeling indecisive about the Osaka part. I've read a lot about Osaka being not that much different than Tokyo, so I'm wondering if my time would just be put to better use staying longer in Kyoto and Tokyo.

I am interested in food and kissaten, particularly ones with an older feel, and also museums. But I know that Tokyo and Kyoto both will both have great food and kissaten, even though I know Osaka is a bit of a "food town," if not a bit of a drab one.

I would be more inclined to go to Osaka if I could see the Hanshin Tigers play, but I know the NPB season will be over by the time I get there.

Is Osaka worth 4-5 nights of time, or would I be better spent staying longer in Kyoto and Tokyo? I just feel compelled to ask because...this type of vacation seems almost incomplete without a stop in the third of Japan's "big cities."
>>
What's the best way to keep in touch with people you meet there? I read that LINE is the most used.
>>
>>1166149
kyoto has more upscale dining. their street food is the same cultural style as osaka, but kyoto has more zoning restrictions on that kind of vendor. osaka is quite close to kyoto, I'd reccomend maybe 2 days there unless you speak japanese. osaka is probably the singe most important city in the dvelopment of modern japanese culture, but you won't see that unless you speak (which I can assume you don't)

but speaking of time budgeting, I wouldn't say you need more than 5 days in kyoto. tokyo is fucking huge though, and the only limit is your patience and/or imagination. It's really easy to miss things in tokyo because commercial stuff crowds out a lot of others in reccomendations. it's easy to go to adistrict and think you've "seen" it, but there are 40 million people in the city. there are definitely places you don't know about.

if you think 10 days in tokyo might be too much, go see some scenery. the town at the foot of fuji is pretty close to tokyo. you could go for a hike in nara too.
>>
>>1166156
I can speak a little Japanese. I took it for three semesters in college, so...

boku wa nihongo ga...chotto hanaseru, to omoo. demo, kanji o yomu no ga totemo heta desu

but what you say about osaka's place in the development of japanese culture sounds interesting. the farm museum and the 1830s life museum do seem like things i'd like...

my initial plan was 8 nights in tokyo, 6 in kyoto, 5 in osaka. I may shorten kyoto and osaka each by one day and add one to tokyo to save a little money. but i'll think about it a little more.

i appreciate the feedback.
>>
>>1166075
>optional
That being said, good luck. I totally failed my ECC interview.
>>
>>1166161
np

I'd encourage some activity that would take you by a small town or through the countryside for at least a day. japanese people don't really act like themselves in cities, and imo japanese cities are quite ugly

kyoto and osaka are quite close as well, but they are also quite close to hiroshima and nara.

your choice though, good luck
>>
>>1166145
I ate out most of the time, mostly at tiny local joints that was filled with salarymen.
The only times I didnt eat out was when I ate with my Airbnb hosts. Which gave me an excellent chance to help out and experience (the preparation) of Japanese home cooking.
>>
>>1165648
Are there any particular hobby/figure/second-hand shops which you guys prefer? Akiba is a big place.
>>
>>1166204
Just go to Manda.
Best practice holding you breath before you do, though.

I wouldn't go to Akiba for shopping, though. Most shops are too expensive, but it's nice to look around and just enjoy the sensory overload.
>>
>>1166151
Indeed.
>>
>>1166167
What happened? Different anon but I'm planning on applying after I finish school in december.
>>
>>1166204
i'm mostly interested in nendoroids, figmas, s.h. figuarts, and gunpla. any stores that have those kinds of items for cheap would be high value targets for me personally
>>
>>1166167
How? Its a little better than NOVA or GABA but they're pretty easy to get into
>>
>>1166138
I don't: ;^)
>>
>>1166136
How easy is it to get around with 0% Japanese language? I only speak English and am worried that I'll end up dead in a back alley somewhere because I took a wrong turn.
>>
>>1166281
>am worried that I'll end up dead in a back alley somewhere because I took a wrong turn.
That is more likely to happen in the US than almost anywhere else in the world.
>>
>>1166282
I actually visited Las Angeles and surrounding cities earlier this year. I wouldn't walk around at night by myself in some areas. It's a pretty big shithole desu.

I'm just worried about getting completely lost in Japan; missing a train / flight, not being able to find a hotel / hostel, accidentally ordering fried dog, etc. etc.
>>
>>1166284
you're fucked desu, everyone else who posts here has at least a conversational level of japanese
>>
>>1166284
people literally get stabbed or shot outside of upscale establishments or right outside of important diplomatic offices in los angeles, kek
>>
>>1166284
It's the koreans who eat dog.
And even there it is frowned upon these days.
>>
>>1166285
Well lads it was nice knowing you. I guess I'll live out the rest of my days as that 'crazy old white man who lives in a cardboard box and smells of old cheese' in some back alley in Tokyo.

>>1166286
Yeah I don't really want to ever go back there.
I honestly don't know why anyone would want to live there.

>>1166287
Noted. But I mean you get my point right? What if I just want some normal miso ramen and instead get some raw sushi with worms in it?
>>
>>1166289
There's no such dish.
If it makes you feel better, a lot of restaurants have menus with pictures of the menu items so you can just point and ask for that.
>>
>>1166289
you're more likely to get worms in western food. the quality standards in japan are through the roof
>>
>>1166289
Japan is cleaner with higher health standards than whatever shitty country you're from.

There are some things that might make you pause until you realize they're bullshit regulations that don't actually do anything.
>>
>>1166290
>>1166291
I know, I'm mostly kidding around. I actually expect Japan to be a clean, friendly place. Can't wait to go. Still savin' up the dosh for the trip.
>>
>>1166289
people live in LA for the same reason people smoke meth

people are fucking stupid and will try to promote their flaws as positive traits

any time anyone says LA is cool they drop about 30 iq points in my estimation. it hasn't steered me wrong so far. treat them lke you'd treat a heroin addict or black lives matter advocate. I'm glad these things exist because it allows us to filter people according to whether they're scum or not
>>
>>1166229
Liberty 7 will be your friend then. Akiba Main Street, go kanda direction.
Nakano Broadway is the second place to, shitload of nendos. Take direct train from akiba (yellow line). Watch out, this line is always fucking crowded
>>
>>1166315
>Everyone on 4chan is white
>All my racist stereotypes are correct

You'd be wrong.
>>
>>1166318
I'm a black guy married to a Japanese girl in Koto-Ku, Racism exist in Japan, but its extremely light compared to the people like you that exist in the US, the rules are very obvious, and when people do the outright racist things they own up to it, instead of pretending that its not a thing
>>
>>1166215
>>1166236
It was my first ever job interview, so I was completely unprepared. The grammar test was easy peasy, as was the demonstration lesson, but the one-on-one interview totally caught me off guard.
>>
>>1166322
The demo lesson was my main concern so that's a relief. How *Genki* did it seem like they were expecting you to be? Were they unimpressed if you ever acted y'know...normal? I'm not a deadpan speaker or anything but people act like you have to like Austin Powers level flamboyant for them to even consider you.
>>
>>1166320
Not the anon you were replying to but the Japanese are a very tolerable bunch though. And truth be told there are so little blacks in Japan is simply not fair to compare it to country like US which has 30 millions of AA. If Japan had about 13% of population is black then only can it be compared to other diversified countries as we know the smaller percentage of minorities in in one country the rarer they would be deemed as trouble makers.
>>
>>1166325
Is your point that Japanese should be more racist?
>>
>>1166324
Of course you can act normally. The main things to keep in mind are to smile as much as you can (without coming across as creepy) and stay positive when interacting with the "students". You don't have to be hyper-excited the whole time, just try to be conscious of your facial expression (am I frowning or furrowing my brow?) and your tone of voice (do I sound angry or bored?).
>>
>>1166330
So basically just common sense shit that was blown out of proportion to make posts more dynamic. Not sure why i always forget this is how the internet works like 98% of the time. Thanks.
>>
How difficult is it to climb Mt. Fuji?

I'm an overweight guy with flat feet. Is there any chance of me even reaching the top without dying?
>>
>>1166035
the ice drift, the marching penguins, onsen, and plain ol' sightseeing
>>
>>1166346
>common sense blown out of proportion
for what now? that wasn't very clear

when they're interviewing you, they're looking straight at your personality. they ask you to be happy because being upbeat is pretty hard to fake convincingly.

there's nothing common sense about it. a person's personaity has zero to do with common sense. they want upbeat people, and they're particularly on the lookout for people who are faking/forcing it
>>
>>1166356
is there any chance you could lose some weight?

purely rhetorical, btw
>>
>>1166362
Yeah, but probably not enough by December.

I'm 200lbs and 5'8", if that matters.
>>
>>1166363
>December
All that fat will be good for insulation. I look forward to reading about your elongated stay on the side of the mountain when spring comes and they find you.
>>
>>1166363
Can you even climb Fujisan in Winter?
>>
>>1166281
Most important things/signs are also in English, most transactions you do with shopkeepers can be easily done by vision alone (knowing the price of the stuff you buy and/or watching the total come up on the cash register) and most food places have at the very least pictures on their menus, that or i pointed at what my neighbor was eating if it looked good.

I do think you should cram some basic Japanese before you go.. things like a few ways to say hello, goodbye, thank you, excuse me and 1-5 beer please. I think it's common courtesy to at least make a small effort. It takes almost none of your time and you can feel that people appreciate the effort.

In my opinion taking a wrong turn and ending up a bit lost is part of the charm of visiting a new city. The worst thing that happened to me was taking a wrong turn in tokyo and being invited to several girl/happening bars and getting backrubs from hookers inviting me for "more"
>>
File: RRRRRRRR.jpg (77KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
RRRRRRRR.jpg
77KB, 1280x720px
So if I go to Roppongi to get picked up by gaijin hunters and fool around, I'll have a pretty good chance of picking up some STDs, right?

I mean, even though I'd definitely wear a condom, I'd still have a good chance of contracting oral herpes, no?
>>
>>1166375
Nah, yo. Do that shit raw. Round eye are impervious to silly Jap diseases. It only affects other chinks and gooks.
>>
Best stuff to see in the north? (Ex: Sapporo).

Things that you should never ever do in the japanese culture as a foreigner?

Gonna be honest: i'm not going to travel for a while since i need to get my degree first and i am short on cash. But hearing about you people going to solo trips makes me feel good
>>
>>1166395
Sapporo is pretty blah, unless you visit in the winter and really like snow. If I had my time in Sapporo to do over I'd probably just do day trips to scenic national/prefectural parks / mountains. The produce is good, if you do visit be sure to get some corn on the cob from a street vendor. There's usually one set up near the TV tower.
>>
I'll probably stir up some shit with this post, but what are your personal experience picking up chick's in tokyo as a white guy? Feel free to answer if you're any other race too.
>>
>>1166404
As a manlet, a lot easier than I do in America.
>>
I've memorized the first 35 Hiragana today. Do you think I can cover all Hiragana/Katakana in six months?

>Grammar and actual words are another story entirely.
>>
>>1166414
Oh wait fuck, I didn't realize there's only 70 characters not including 'doubles'.

Shit son, I've got this sorted.
>>
>>1166414
> tfw stupid to the point of mistaking kanji with hira/kata
>>
>>1166418
u wot m8? I'm not even going to bother with Kanji.
>>
So, wife and I are going to Osaka for 4 days and have been looking at hotels. And it's looking like love hotels are dirt cheap. I've got to ask, can this be done? Can we just book the hotel room for four days without any issues or do we have to check out every morning and in back every night? I'm see places that are $42 a night and they look pretty damned awesome.
>>
>>1166426
Why not rent an entire apartment to yourself on Airbnb? They're cheaper still.
>>
>>1165816

>It's as easy as it is in your home country.

When will Japan general stop shilling this hilariously incorrect meme?
If you're foreign, getting the puss is DEFINITELY easier than wherever you come from.
>>
>>1166429

That's a idea I didn't think of yet.
>>
>>1166432
If you're willing to lie, cheat and exploit your foreign status among sex-starved OLs, obsessively left-wing Westaboos and meth-addicted B-girls, yes.
The problem is that the reason that people score more in other countries is that they're not bound by the opinions and backlash of their home culture, and thus feel free to lie like a waterfall and not mind people's emotions in the least.
Of course you'll get laid easier that way, but as a travel board, it's the responsibility of the /trv/ natives to make sure that yet another gaijin smasher doesn't exploit the possible foreign appeal (which is more or less entirely due to scars in the national spirit left by WWII, resulting in a national self-esteem complex which is only just healing) to exploit Japanese women for a quick lay.
You can get laid easier if you want to, but you'll be the equivalent of the guy who brings roofies to a college party back at home. Exploiting people is the same in any country, and it's not the duty of a travel board to advise people on how to hurt a country's culture and people.
There must be some grotty *chan with a /pillage/ board somewhere. Go look for that.
>>
>>1166360
It's common sense that you aren't getting a job being the sole speaker in front of paying customers for hours a day if you don't seem like you want to be there, especially when a sizable portion of those customers are children. The entire post I responded to was like, customer service 101 and it read a lot different from a lot of the "if you aren't absurdly bright and bubbly you have no chance" posts I've read in the past.

idk how you came to it being argument about personality traits or w/e. I do think that being personable, friendly and engaging are skills you can cultivate though.
>>
>>1166440

>using your appeal as an exotic person to have sex is the same as drugging someone against their will and fucking their unconscious body

Do you realize how dumb you sound?

>exploit Japanese women by having consensual sex with them

Jesus, go back to shitredditsays or /r/japanlife you clearly unstable woman.
>>
>>1166445
Ripping up scars in a nation's psyche that have irrevocably damaged a whole generation (the one you're fucking women from) and severely handicapped the freedom that people have to tell foreigners off in order to fuck women is the same as forcibly having your way with them on a moral level.
You might not understand because you don't want to realize how much damage you're causing, but you're not just using "appeal as an exotic person" to get laid.
I really don't want to come off as bragging, but I spend most of every day watching Japanese variety TV, and that's where you understand the Japanese people's relationship with foreigners - unstable women and those in precarious life situations use foreigners for some kind of consolation because they always want sex, and then the relationship ends in a disaster because the parties can't communicate properly, one of them is exploiting the other more, one party is going to go home and you're exploiting a scar from the nation's past.
Japan, as a nation with a face culture that was ground underfoot by the US and Korea after WWII, has been forced into a position where they don't have control over their own politics and freedom of speech as soon as the talk turns to external politics. You're expected to roll along with almost everything a foreigner says because of them being the guest and because everything foreign has to be treated as better than its Japanese equivalent in order to be polite - and many Japanese women, at least those you want to date, are going to prefer taking a few emotional bruises to denying you or breaking off contact because of how rude it is to refuse or insult a guest.
Until your foreign status has nothing at all to do with you being foreign whatsoever, no matter what you believe, you're exploiting the country and culture, as well as the person you think you're having "consensual" sex with.
Live there for a few years and absorb enough of the culture that you know when something's wrong.
>>
>>1166422
then you won't be able to read much at all. only little children write exclusively in hiragana/katakana.
>>
>>1166446
That should be "until you getting laid has nothing to do with your foreign status whatsoever".
Also, I have looked at Reddit's front page all of once in my life, and I'm a guy. I can tell you that I hate modern feminism and SJWs as much as the next /pol/tard - this is a political and societal problem that has nothing to do with gender.
>>
>>1166446

>severely handicapped the freedom that people have to tell foreigners off in order to fuck women is the same as forcibly having your way with them on a moral level.

You are legitimately mentally ill and it makes me sad to see you post things like this.

Please, seek help...
>>
>>1166363
you could easily lose a kilo every week until then, more if you actually put in work

t. fat cunt too
>>
>>1166449
I try to keep a modicum of reason and decency in front of foreign cultures as well as my own.
You use getting outside of your borders as a way to press your own sense of empathy into the back seat, hurting and exploiting people without caring because you can just leave and it'll all be over for you.
You're the mentally ill one here. You're the one who either can or wants to be able to turn his empathy on and off like a switch, who considers himself getting laid more important than the circumstances of his partner and indeed his whole country, and who fires off accusations of mental illness when confronted with logic.
I really regret that I can't see the moment about five years in the future where you finally abuse a Japanese woman too much and her older brother calls in a few friends to teach you a lesson.
The Japanese are people like everyone else, and they aren't lapdogs that you can use for your own personal pleasure before throwing away, unlike what the New Seoul City Post or the West Coast zainichi lobby has told you.
Rest assured that Japanese men want to beat your shit in as much as the nearest Tyrone Washington swilling foties in your neighborhood when you're fucking with their country, their culture and their women - cultural and political circumstances have just made it impossible.
You are exploiting external factors in order to have your way with women when they would otherwise be much less likely to consent. It's the same as gathering blackmail material on a girl to get laid as soon as you meet her - you could have been accepted and gotten laid for your own virtues, but you decided to exploit her and her culture's weak points in order to guarantee it.
You're a manly man who can get laid in his own home country, right? If you're a man, get laid on your own virtues. If you're a man, you should have enough pride to not have to cheat to get laid. Admitting that you need to use tricks is the same as admitting that you normally can't get laid.
>>
>>1166451
christ
>>
>>1166453
Thank you for admitting you have no arguments. It was my pleasure.
Now, the only thing you have to do to go to Japan and get laid without having to exploit anyone or anything is to read my posts through slowly once again, and then understand that you get laid the same way in Japan as you do in your home country.
Cheating in sex and romance is like cheating at the Special Olympics - you might win, but the fact that you had to cheat to win says all about you.
>>
>>1166455
I'm not the guy you're replying to lol
>>
>>1166457
It doesn't matter. If you agree with him, you need to give this a thought too.
I'm not bashing that guy in specific - I'm arguing against the people who play the gaijin card in general.
>>
>>1166458
I don't agree or even care about what he's saying, I just found it quite amusing that you're giving such long drawn out replies to him.
>>
So, how easy is it to get jap muff?
>>
>>1166440
>>1166446
>>1166451
>>1166455
Jesus christ.. haha.
>>
>>1166458

You legit sound like you were cucked by a foreigner and are butthurt over it.
>>
>>1166301
thanks a ton! i'm in the planning stages for my trip and will definitely add those places.

are those stores good for sentai stuff as well? preowned DX mecha and the like
>>
>>1166468
Not into mecha stuff, but yes, all those places actually have special floors/zones dedicated to that as mecha are super popular.
>>1166451
>>1166446
I can't google it, therefore saving it. Thanks
>>
File: rice with eyes.jpg (157KB, 1440x1920px) Image search: [Google]
rice with eyes.jpg
157KB, 1440x1920px
>>1166289
>What if I just want some normal miso ramen and instead get some raw sushi with worms in it?
I can relate - just man up and eat it. Chances are it'll be delicious.
>>
>>1166534
What is that?
>>
>>1166534
>after a night of partying/kareokeing until morning, it's 7am in shinjuku hungry and drunk as fuck
>find some standard looking bowl of shit place
>ordered the featured item, whatever it's probably rice and meat
>get a bowl of noodles topped with what must be extremely hot minced fish innards topped with a fucking raw egg
>it's disgusting but also delicious
>eat it all and have a horrible taste of fish brains for the next 12 hours
worth the experience desu
>>
>>1166539
small fish
>>
>>1166539
It's whitebait. Shit-tier fish used for, as the name suggests, bait and catfood.
>>
I've seen people on here before talk about lining up a teaching job in Japan while there on a tourist visa, and that being easier than going through the application process while overseas.

Is it actually possible to do this? If I go on vacation to Japan for 2-3 months, how difficult would it be to line up a teaching job and work visa during that time?
>>
Leaving tomorrow for Japan. Looking forward to avoiding other anons, but if I see any other white people, I will assume it's one of you.
>>
>>1166590
I did it. Most places jump at the opportunity to interview in person.

The only company that stonewalled me was GABA and they were total dick heads about all their weird rules all the time, even when I tried to do some part time work there later with a visa.
>>
>>1166604

What company did you work with? What city was it in? Would you recommend working with them? Are there any employers besides GABA that you would advise avoiding?

I'm applying from the USA with Interac, but it's not guaranteed that I'll get a job. Looking into other options stateside, but it's already kind of late to be applying for the next Japanese school year. I have enough savings for a short trip to Japan, and it'd be nice to know I can use that as a reliable back-up plan.

Would you be willing to trade contact info via throwaway email? Even if I like /trv/, I still don't feel comfortable making plans on the info from an anonymous post on 4chan. I'd just like to ask a few questions about the process of getting your first job, then you can delete me from whatever platform we use to talk.

[email protected]
>>
>>1166602
I'm also leaving tomorrow. See you there anon.
I'll be wearing classic Adidas pants and a black bomber jacket. My cellphone is a Samsung S7 and I will most probably be using it all the time.
Will try to use red shoes so you can identify me easier.
I'm a 5'11 black haired white man.
Looking forward for some drinks.
>>
>>1166615
They're all pretty much the same, but ECC and AEON are the best of the big Eikaiwas, since they tend to have saner holidays and schedules. I worked at NOVA which wasn't great but it wasn't bad either. The most important thing is getting the first visa because all of the smaller places will not sponsor your visa, so you should apply everywhere

In my first week, we had training and a couple of them said they were planning on quitting as soon as training was over because they had a job lined up at a smaller place.
>>
File: 1439785351360.jpg (156KB, 464x437px) Image search: [Google]
1439785351360.jpg
156KB, 464x437px
I posted about host clubs in the last thread.

S-so I got wasted last night and added the cutest host I could find to LINE, forgot how to use the keyboard setting on my phone and basically blurted out "OKAY FOREIGNERS club name YES??" in all hiragana like a retarded child.

He sent such a kind reply, bless his moe little heart.
>>
>>1166636
i hope he pounds your cute little butthole
>>
>>1166645
I don't want makura service, I just want some pretty nihonjin fuccbois to drink with.
>>
i'm reading through erolin right now and am just blown away at how legitimized paying for escorts sounds (relatively speaking)

anyone have any experiences with that stuff?
>>
>>1166679
Kek. I'm interested in the full story if possible.
>>
I heard from someone that as a gaijin with experience as a hotel receptionist/concierge, I should be able to get a job at local country hotels since they don't know how to handle gaijin customers. Is this true? It'd be nice to actually earn at bit of cash while on a working holiday visa.
>>
>>1166616
Well, look for a ginger manlet in flannel.
>>
>>1165310
Might be biased because I am Japanese (parents immigrated to Canada) but I don't care

>What was the best thing about Japan?
There's usually something to do. Cities are a train ride away. It's easy just to have fun during off days.

>What was the wort thing?
It's humid as all hell in the summer. It's it even tropical. And the earthquakes. Fuck them. All the tv channels become just about that for 3 hours.

>What surprised you the most?
It's gets dark real fast. Not a surprise to some but it's dark by 6 and that only happens in the winter where I'm from.
>>
Currently working in a rural area just outside of Tokyo. I want to move closer but my eikaiwa won't transfer me to another area and want me to pay 'cleaning fees' if I choose to move. My questions are;

1. Will there be any complications for my visa if I quit my job and work for a new eikaiwa? I assume they can handle all the paperwork and I'd just have to tell immigration.

2. Is this 'cleaning fees' shit enforceable in any way?
>>
>>1166841
If you signed a contract obviously the fee is.
You are in no way bound to the company that got you your visa and can easily switch, although I think its technically illegal for you to not have any job at all.
>>
>>1166847

Thanks bro.

I assume it's easy to find a new job once you're actually in Japan? I want something closer to Tokyo but it was nearly impossible while overseas. I haven't applied for a new job yet in the country.
>>
How early should I wait in line for Tsukiji?

A review from 5 months ago said people were queuing up at 2 fucking 30 for a 6am auction because they wanted to see it before the market moved locations. Fuck that. But since the move has been put on indefinite hiatus, are the lines at a more reasonable hour? I'm down for a 4am wait at the earliest.
>>
While I know this thread is mainly for travel, I have a question about studying abroad. I'm currently studying IT System and Network engineering and my university is offering me the chance to follow a semester abroad (second semester, so January-July).

My school currently has 3 options in Japan, those being
>Nihon university
>Osaka electro-communication university
>Kyushu university

If anyone could shed some light on either one of those I'd really appreciate it. I'm honestly interested in studying abroad but I'd rather not go into it too blind
>>
>>1166851
probably won't get in at 4

was there at 3 during a weekday last year and was an hour too late or so

people are retarded sometimes
>>
>>1166921
Where the fuck do you go that offers studying abroad for IT?
>>
>>1166936
The Netherlands. Is it such a weird concept to study abroad for IT? We got multiple exchange students over here cause apparently their countries don't have classes regarding Big data, or even proper lessons on network security
>>
Two weeks until my next trip. Can't fucking wait. Going to hit up so many Michelin rated restaurants, going to get respectfully sloppy at so many bars, I wish I could make what I make in the US while living in Japan.
>>
>>1166936
The program wasn't being offered when I was a student, but my college was in the process of setting up 1st and 2nd year Comp Sci classes at their Tokyo campus that would then allow students to transfer to the main campus in the US. If you wanted to do the reverse and start in Japan you were theoretically allowed to do that in the program as well.

However mostly for an American student it would allow them to study abroad at the Tokyo campus while still taking their CS classes instead of having to knock out their GenEd courses only, since the Tokyo campus really only had Business and Art degrees at the time.
>>
What's the nightlife scene like in Japan? Going there in a few weeks with a friend and just want to party.
>>
>>1167022
Trains in tokyo stop at 2400. After that you have to take a cab home. Cabs are expensive.

Me and my friend didnt go clubbing, we went to bars. All bars empty out round 2300, unlike us in the west they go out early in the evening. If you are going to get pussy it would be before 2300.
>>
>>1167024

Well shit, that's unexpected, but manageable. Thanks man, we were thinking of just hitting up clubs but I don't know how much fun can be had in bars.
>>
>>1167025
If you are decent looking like me and my friend the only thing you have to do is wait and look friendly and Japanese girls will come to talk to you. (This is all based on kyoto and tokyo not sure about other locations) This doesnt happen every single evening but all of them are interested because we look exotic to them.

We had to wait for them to come to us because we didn't speak Japanese, you cant really go around walking up to girls all evening asking if the speak english.
>>
>>1167024
>. All bars empty out round 2300
except the ones that don't
>>
>>1167030
All right, 2400 then.
>>
Oi /nippon general/ cheap cunt here.

I read on wikitravel that Japan have a culture of nojuku, basically that if you camp places where you don't disturb anyone, even in corners of public parks, then you won't be disturbed yourself.

Is this true? If so, that would make my trip even more awesome, if I can just head innawoods and set up a shelter.
>>
>TFW your first time in Japan, and you get in the women only car of the train, and don't know why youre getting dirty looks

B-baka
>>
File: 15g53uU.gif (23KB, 200x240px) Image search: [Google]
15g53uU.gif
23KB, 200x240px
>>1167050
Sure the pink colors, women only in english and amount of women inside were not obvious enough.
Admit it, you did it on purpose
>>
File: 1457425298259.png (217KB, 358x418px) Image search: [Google]
1457425298259.png
217KB, 358x418px
>>1166938
>Big data
Maaan, please, I don't want to see that shit on Saturday mornings while browsing /trv, I've got enough during my working hours
>>
>>1167050
happened to me too, tried to make it to the train as it was about to leave kek

Also first time I entered a building, I forgot to take my shoes off and just walked in

Gotta love Gaijinsmash
>>
>>1167054
Nigga, all the shit was purple and there were only some old ladies in the car. But i did want that granny goose
>>
What phone apps are gonna be useful when I'm in Japan?

And what do you do in the evening if you're not going out clubbing or whatever?
>>
>>1167088
answer to both: pornhub mobile
>>
>>1167088
Get LINE so you can make some friends there
>>
>>1167088
LINE & cry yourself to sleep.
>>
>>1167088
Hyperdia.
>>
>>1167094
>>1167099

How do I make friends with LINE?
Seems the app has gone to shit according to newest reviews.
>>
>>1167088
>And what do you do in the evening if you're not going out clubbing or whatever?
Drink in public.
>>
What's clubbing like on weekdays? My new job is Tuesday/Wednesday off. Is Roppongi going to be dead or is it decent?
>>
>>1167120
But I don't drink either..
>>
>>1167123
It should be ok.
>>
>>1167088
LINE and.. Weibo? I think that's the Japanese one.

>>1166697
There isn't any story yet, but I'll let you know in 6 months.
Right now I'm contacting cute hosts trying to con them into paying my shokai (First time - 2 hours of all a you a can a drink for 2000y) with promises of nomina ing/shimei'ing them (paying extra, which they get a cut of, to keep them to myself for another 2-3 hours.)

This one guy, though.
>Do you understand any English?
>"Sorry no, anon. Only Japanese. Ugu~"
>That's too bad! It's okay, you're cute. My Japanese is only 'okay' so I might need some help!
>"Ah! Too kind! I'll have to learn English for you, then!" < And some Google-translated English.

This is the dude with the gaijin fetish though.
>>
>>1167108
I've never really had any problems with it and even if it is shit 90% of japs use it
>>
>>1167135
desu I literally meant how do I make friends.
I got the impression it was just a messenger.
>>
>>1167138
It is. He meant "Use it to make friends from acquaintances" not "Use it to make friends from scratch."
>>
Just arrived in Japan scheduled to stay about 3 months for language school. Suddenly realized I'm paranoid of radiation and contaminated food/drinks. Any helpful stuff to read/advice? Really worried and it sucks, I want to enjoy my stay.
>>
>>1167161

You're completely overreacting. The only radioactive danger is in Fukushima itself and there's very strict guidelines in Japan to prevent contaminated produce being shipped.
>>
>>1167161
you're already fucked by having stepped onto godzilla soil

there's no help for you now. enjoy your rads.
>>
New bread >>1167176
>>
File: 1475005962759.jpg (32KB, 400x307px) Image search: [Google]
1475005962759.jpg
32KB, 400x307px
>>1167124
>clubbing without alcohol
Jesus... are you some kind of masochist? Why would you ever even do that to yourself?
>>
>>1166936
The answer to these kind of questions is always Europe.
>>
>>1167032
Nope, they can close at anytime they want.
Thread posts: 324
Thread images: 28

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.