[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New York City General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 152
Thread images: 4

File: Corbis-42-28378362.jpg (489KB, 1024x691px) Image search: [Google]
Corbis-42-28378362.jpg
489KB, 1024x691px
Last one over tree hunnid
>>
Canadabro planning a trip to NYC, hoping to snag a hotel room in a central location for under $250/night

Mostly interested in nightlife/partying, so was considering Williamsburg or Brooklyn, is it legit a good nightlife or is it hipster trash?

Given that I'm planning on spending my time out barhopping, where's a good place to stay?

Driving down from Niagara Falls Friday midday, checking im friday night, probably drinking Saturday, lunch & drive home Sunday. How much cash would I need to have fun? Would $1500 USD cover gas, the hotel, some meals, and a good night out?
>>
>>1163838
Oh forgot to add will be travelling with wifey
>>
Bamp not more than once a day
>>
Is there anything to do in NYC?
>>
Bump limit on this board seems to be 500
>>
>>1163838
The best areas for nightlife are the Lower East Side, East Village, and Greenwich Village in Manhattan, and Williamsburg in Brooklyn. The nightlife in these neighborhoods is great, Friday and Saturday nights are very lively until 4AM. Lots of great bars, late night food, etc.

Although most of the bars are open til 4AM every single night, and some of them are packed as if it were a Friday or Saturday night even on a weeknight.

My favorite out of these is the East Village/Alphabet City.
>>
>>1163838
Williamsburg is great for food, but not so much party/nightlife as far as I know. Since trains run 24/7, where you stay shouldn't make a big difference. It's easy to get smashed one place and hop on the train to another borough.

If you're only staying a weekend, you can make $1500 work, but maybe have a tad extra just in case. We have cheap meals, but you have to find them since tourist traps are plentiful. I suggest Joe's Shanghai for soup dumplings, a nice pie from Juliana's under the Brooklyn Bridge, and some halal food from a random cart on the street (people call Halal Guys overrated, but it's worth checking out imo).
>>
>>1164010
Williamsburg is hot for nightlife dude, I was there on a Monday night and the bars were packed, I can only imagine a Frisay or Saturday.
>>
>>1163961
You HAVE to go in some rooftops bar
>>
>>1164072
What's so special about those?
>>
>>1163838
>>1163838

Check out VRBO.com for a 1 bed apartment - I couldn't find a decent hotel for under $400/night for dates in October, ended up with a roomy apartment in Gramercy for $225/night, has everything included (wifi, HBO, washer/dryer, a/c + heating).

Everyone (this thread + previous) seems to think LES is best for party, I chose the area because it's a little more chill than downtown Times Squre & cheaper than uptown. A cursory look at Google maps shows 10 bars within a 5 min walk from E25th Street where I am staying so happy with the outcome.

Question to you - where are good places to drink in Niagara, am staying at Marriott Fallsview. Aussie dude travelling alone, keen to knock a few beers over with locals.
>>
>>1164727

I just moved to NYC 2 days ago.

Scenery, my brother.
>>
Just got back to bongland after a week in New York, wanted to say thanks to the anons giving advice. Was with family, did a lot of tourist stuff and had a good time.
>>
File: 1474429962186.jpg (73KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1474429962186.jpg
73KB, 1080x1080px
Hey anons, anyone know where I can go to have my girlfriend's portrait drawn? SHe's into fine art & stuff. I'll be there thursday-sunday, when is best to go looking? Do these guys use signs or do they just approach people?

My friend's parents had portraits done in times square back in '04, but last time I was there it seemed like it would be hard to find someone in all the movement there. There's a NYT article on it, but its 5 years old, so maybe the artists have moved

There's gotta be a neighborhood or something good for this, right? Washington square park?

Also, how long do you think it would take/how much would it cost?
>>
>>1164953
Oh i'd rather go with a street artist than some establishment if possible b/c I'm sure the price would be a bit better and the experience more "unique" for her.

My buddy's parents paid $35-40 but they weren't sure/couldn't remember. I dunno what inflation etc has done to prices though.
>>
I've been thinking about this recently but not sure if it's something worth pursuing. Is the bohemian lifestyle still possible to lead in NYC? All I hear about is how expensive it's become. If someone were to go with no more than $1500 in their pocket, would it be possible to live without getting help from the government or working 60 hour weeks in some kitchen?
>>
What is the best Manhattan neighborhood to live.
>>
>>1164920

Re "tourist stuff" - what was good & what could be avoided / wasn't worth it?
>>
>>1165096
It depends on what you like and how much money you make.

Personally, I would live anywhere in Manhattan.
>>
>>1164834
E25th st is not the LES, and uptown would probably be cheaper once you go North of 110th

The LES is the neighborhood below the East Village, check out both neighborhoods next time you come back.
>>
>>1165139
Is there a guide to the neighborhoods somewhere? I'd settle for a "meme states of america" type image
>>
>>1165153
Yeah there are probably a million neighborhood maps for Manhattan and NYC in general. The big 3 neighborhoods for nightlife IMO are the East Village, Lower East Side, and Greenwich Village. Bars everywhere.

Google Maps is pretty accurate too, at least for Manhattan.
>>
>>1165155
oh I thought I was replying to this guy,

>>1164834

which is why I mentioned the bars
>>
>>1164953
They're everywhere. Still in Times Square, but check out Central Park as well. If you want, ask the price beforehand and give an unsure look, then start to slowly walk away. They may lower the price a little bit. Even if they don't, you can find those dudes everywhere.
>>
>>1165144

My bad, it looks closer on the map! As for visiting both, l'll be there in 3 weeks, can't wait to check things out. So much cool shit to do, so little time!
>>
>>1165122
Times Square is worth a look but like other anons have said once youve seen it theres no real point going back.

Went up the Empire State Building at night and the One World Trade Centre in daylight, prefered the ESB but i did get a touch of vertigo as soon as i got off the lift on the WTC so ended up rushing it a bit.

Spent a day doing bus tours around uptown, downtown and a night one over to brooklin. Was interesting but we had good weather, and an open topped bus in the cold/rain sucks. Also depends on who the tour guide is. We had one guy who was entertaining and knowledgeable, another who kept repeating the same facts and was worringly keen on iron fronted buildings, and a woman who could barely speak english.
Our pass was stil valid the next day so we hopped on one just to get downtown, which was a bad idea. They took a detour to show us something and got stuck on a narrow road. Overall id recommend giving it a miss and getting the metro to stuff you know you want to see.

We didnt get tickets for a Statue of Liberty crown tour so a barmaid suggested we take the Staton Island ferry to see it rather then the liberty ferry. Not a bad view but crowded and spent ages waiting for a ferry both sides. Did see Marine Force One land though, and the ferry port on Manhatten served the best tea i had while i was there.

We also had dinner on the Spirit of New York, an evening boat tour that goes past the Brooklin Bridge and Statue of Liberty. Well worth it, nice food and great views but not cheap, and once again we had nice weather which is a major factor.
>>
>>1165155
See bookstores for maps. The best company for NYC maps is almost dead. RIP Hagstrom.
>>
>>1165212
Well it looks like I won't be getting one. Weather forecast says it's going to rain every day. Even on the days with intermittent showers, I wouldn't want to sit for a portrait then have it start to rain. Thanks anyway, man!
>>
>>1164010
It's packed on the weekends in Williamsburg, all kinds of people are staying out until 4 a.m. drinking. Stay around the intersection of Lorimer and Metropolitan and you'll have no shortage of bars and restaurants to visit. It's easy to walk into a residential area though. When in doubt, head for the waterfront.
>>
>>1164960
Yes, but ...
You are going to live in squalor, in crime-ridden areas, you are going to witness things that will not sit with you well. If you work and live under the table you will be vulnerable to extortion. I don't recommend it but it is possible to live by the seat of your pants still.

For some perspective, I cannot recommend enough that you read The Last Bohemia by Robert Anasi. It's a memoir about Williamsburg's transformation from ghetto to economic exclusivity. You won't be able to to live in Williamsburg, but you will be able to get a sense for what kind of neighborhood the "bohemian" can afford in New York City. You might be disappointed.
>>
>>1165270
Oh those maps are great!

Also I couldn't find an internet map of Manhattan neighborhoods that I liked
>>
>>1165284
It's packed on weekdays too
>>
>>1165288
Crime ridden areas? It's not 1985, grandpa. The worsr neighborhoods in NYC aren't even that bad these days.

And not a single neighborbood in NYC is affordable for a single person making less than 45k or so.
>>
>>1165263
It's close enough that you can get there with ease! Just a short subway ride from your hotel, or taxi if you're too lazy and drunk when the night is over.

But yeah try to figure out where the East Village and LES are for when you go barhopping.
>>
>>1165288
The cheapest neighborhoods aren't even bad necessarily, they're just not close to Lower Manhattan.
>>
>>1165330
Used them when I was a messenger. No problem. The Manhattan 5 in One was legendary.
>>
Need cheap bar/club recommendations! Going to be staying at UES. Have already tried trendy spots like Penrose but I cant be paying $10+ per drink.
>>
>>1165912
Go to dive bars in the East Village and Lower East Side.
>>
>>1165122
good
>Jewish quarter of Manhattan - really good food
>MoMA
>Highline
>Blue Note, Birdland (if you enjoy jazz)
>subway

avoid
>Central Park (it's shit)
>Guggenheim (there are only a few good paintings so it isn't worth the price of admission even at the discounted student rate)
>any restaurant in Manhattan that isn't a food truck and/or in the Jewish Quarter
>taxis

>>1164960
probably not, average rent is $3000
>>
>>1167371
>>1167371

Avoid central park (its shit)?

Avoid literally EVERY restaurant in the entire city except for the ones in one tiny area?

Im honestly baffled over whether or not you are infact retarded or just merely shitposting.
>>
>>1167371
Where is the Jewish Quarter of Manhattan of which you write? I don't think I have heard of it, although I know there are a lot of Jews in New York.
>>
Thoughts on sleep no more?
>>
>>1167454
I'm sorta shitposting, but not completely. Central Park really isn't that impressive, it feels rather sterile even for a city park and it's just big; there are nicer parks in other areas of NYC. As for the restaurants I tried going to really expensive places and cheap places and they are really all fucking bland. Service is also terrible and they demand absurdly high tips when they haven't even put in a half-assed effort. Perhaps I was just unlucky and like to whine about thinks because I'm incredibly Jewish, but I'd strongly recommend lowering your expectations a lot so you don't end up being disappointed.

That being said, I did enjoy it a lot and would come back. I just wouldn't go to a lot of places that I did if I could go back in time and redo the trip. Such is travelling, I suppose.

>>1167457
Lower East Side
>>
>>1167717
Not that anon, but are there any particular places in the Lower East Side that you'd recommend?

I'll be visiting in about two weeks and I'd like to try something different in food, taking advantage of how diverse the city is.
>>
>>1167725
I honestly can't remember mate, wish I could.
>>
>>1165332
bushwick is safe to you?
some parts of brooklyn hear gunshots every night.
that's where everyone goes to live when they want to be able to say they live in brooklyn but don't have the salary to reflect it
>>
>>1167725
Katz’s Delicatessen is famous among tourists and residents alike for massive sandwiches
also i would recommend one of many authentic (and cheap!) chinese noodle shops in the area
just go to one that seems busy because that means its probably good
>>
>>1167371
apartments for way cheaper can be found. But I mean like 1200 dollars, which is still too much for a bohemian lifestyle.

Also your advice on restaurants is retarded

>>1167717
Jewish quarter? The LES is certainly not a Jewish neighborhood, I'm guessing it's 1 block in the LES or something like that.

>>1167790
Bushwick isn't really that dangerous, and obviously most people can't afford to live in Yuppie Brooklyn anymore. But it's not like everyone wants to live there anyway.

Bushwick isn't really that cheap anyway.

The worst parts of Brooklyn are Brownsville and East New York, but I'd feel comfortable living anywhere else in Brooklyn. Actually it's really just Brownsville that I wouldn't live in.
>>
>>1167792
Will do. I am considering taking advice from some anon at the previous thread, and going to Flushing for chinese food. I also want to check out the Flushing meadows park so it wouldn't be a problem to try something there.
>>
>>1167911
Jackson Heights and Astoria are other Queens neighborhoods worth checking out
>>
>>1167792

How about Russ & Daughters? Worth a visit? I'd like to go to Katz's but it seems like a bit of a tourist trap?
>>
>>1167454
Shitpost for sure. I have lived in NYC my whole life and have never even heard of the "Jewish Quarter."
There are plenty of good restaurants in NYC, and Central Park is a great place for a stroll.
>>
>>1168415
True. Also, Sunnyside is underrated.
>>
>>1167717

The lower east side hasn't been a Jewish quarter since about 1908. There's even a fucking museum there about it.
>>
>>1168541
Yeah is that guy fucking serious? His advice was some of the worst I've ever seen here
>>
What's the best neighborhood to find a Puerto Rican tranny?
>>
>>1168784
lol
>>
Now that's ghetto.
>>
Decent places to pop in and have a quick bite in Manhattan or Brooklyn? Preferably places where you don't sit down and eat with a waiter serving you and all that. Don't feeling like paying $10 in tips every time I eat. I was thinking pizza or taco places really.

Also, any decent theaters in Manhattan to go to for affordable (somewhat) shows at night, plan on going in December so I am sure there are bound to be tons of ballets and shit going on. Any good independent book stores I should go to other than the Strand?
>>
>>1169029
Rizzoli
Book Off used bookstore also used manga and DVDs
Shakespeare and Company
Mc Nally Jackson
>>
File: gym.jpg (104KB, 750x500px)
gym.jpg
104KB, 750x500px
Hey all, I'm gonna be in Manhattan next week for a week. I've got a knee+shoulder injury I have to take care of, so I'm looking for a gym I can just pay an entry fee for rather than buying a membership. $10 or less a pop would be ideal, but I'm flexible. I'll be in southeast Harlem. Any suggestions? It doesn't need a lot: a pullup bar, freeweights, and a yoga balls/pads. Extra double points for a bosu and a cable pulley machine.

I dunno what I'll do without you guys if 4chan goes down
>>
Will I be viewed as a shitbag and shamed by museum workers if I only pay a couple of bucks to get into the suggested price museums like the Met and AMNH?
>>
>>1168925
What?
>>
>>1169029
There is pizza everywhere and a lot of taco spots too, especially in Mexican neighborhoods obviously.

NYC actually has a lot of really good Mexican food these days (there are 500k Mexicans in NYC), anyone who tells you otherwise is either behind the times or doesn't live here.

And there all types of places to eat that aren't waitstaffed, you'll see many just walking around.
>>1169442
I think a lot of cheap New Yorkers do that, you might feel uncomfortable briefly but it won't be too bad.

Give like 5 dollars per person at least, don't be a super cheapskate and pay 1 dollar.
>>
>>1169516

Any recos for mid Manhattan / Gramercy park area? I want to try some authentic Mexican grub, not the shit tier tex mex slop they serve in my country.
>>
>>1169533
Go a little further South to the East Village and there's Tacos Morelos
>>
>>1169533
this isn't really like a crazy """authentic""" place, but you should go to Al Horno Lean Mexican Kitchen for a quick meal

they have a few spots around the city, one i know is on Lex near like 27th

get a grass-fed steak taco, a chicken taco, and a side of fire sauce. it comes with a really good green sauce as well.

they use chopped radish instead of lettuce and all the ingredients are pretty choice. used to order those tacos all the time
>>
>>1168427
you can go to 2nd Ave Deli instead (curiously it's on 3rd Ave)

they are right up there with Katz in terms of quality but dont get the same hype from food network shows. less tourist trappy and you can order at the counter with less hassle or sit down without dealing with huge crowds

$18 pastrami is worth it and can easily feed two but is better to pig out on solo. get the mustard on it.
>>
>>1169546
>>1170576
>>1170578

Thanks lads, loving the tips & suggestions.

Is the Brooklyn Brewery worth a visit? I've done brewery tours before in various countries, it was more to drink their beer & check out the neighbourhood.
>>
>>1170621
I think it would be cool to check out, but if you like drinking you should also go to some bars at night (between 10PM and 4AM especially)
>>
>>1170994

Absolutely, sampling the night life is an important part of any trip I take. I'm not a very judgmental person (outwardly anywy), but I want to avoid any havens for insufferable hipster douchebags...I prefer rubbing elbows at the bar with average Joe Sixpack (or the regional equivalent), so i suppose I'll try to avoid anything too "trendy", more after neighbourhood pubs & beer gardens.
>>
>>1171058
I think the bars in the most popular neighborhoods for nightlife attract a wide array of people.

There are so many bars there that you can just keep hopping around until you find one you like.

So that being said, I haven't really been anywhere where I felt like I was completely surrounded by hipsters or douchebags.

But I'm not sure you'll find many bars where white dads hang out and eat buffalo wings if that's what you're looking for.
>>
>>1171132
Adding to this, just avoid bars that charge a cover and you should be alright. This will filter out a lot of bars that you wouldn't like, and if you still don't like the place you can just leave.

My personal favorite neighborhood for bars is the East Village, it seems to have the most variety and most places are free to get into.

For instance,there's a bar called Doc Holliday's where they play country music (rare for NYC), and a bar called KGB that's Soviet themed
>>
>>1171316

Excellent, they sound like cool places to check out. I am sure I'll find a happy medium between good liquor, hot women & friendly people to chat with.
>>
>Look up round-trip ticket prices from KCI a week ago for a potential Christmas trip
>$160
>Not bad, I buy them later when I get the money
>Finally get the money
>$400
fuuuuucccccckkkkkkkk
>>
>>1171758
Yes you should be able to find that for sure. How old are you, out of curiosity?
>>
Guys, I have never been to NY or America, but gonna be there this february. I would like to hear some advice about optimal duration to visit this city. The plan is to stay for 3 days in NYC and then go for the weekend to Canada OR stay there for basically whole week. So is there enough activities/places to visit for that time(7days) ? Keep in mind that money is kind of a factor.

I would hate myself if we would stay there and visit everything in 4 days and then just go through same places again.
>>
>>1172134
>February
>Canada

Not sure that matches up well, but I guess some people like freezing their ass off, so go for it if that's what you are into.
>>
>>1172150
Even New York is freezing in February. I can't even imagine Canada.
>>
I got an airbnb in the Brooklyn section on Rockaway Ave between Blake and Dumont, is this a safe neighborhood?

I'm a 26 year old single male
>>
Any good jazz club? Nothing fancy, just want to grab a beer and listen to some jazz.
>>
>>1173797
Village Voice website or pick up the paper while you're here. It's free. Plenty of ads by jazz clubs.
>>
>>1173058
Hell no,it's Brownsville. Project nearby. A couple of blocks to the Livonia Avenue el though. Live dangerously.
>>
>>1173806
What's a project? And what's wrong with the neighborhood exactly?
>>
Hi /trv/, been in NYC for almost a week now and so far it's been great.
Might be odd to ask but where should I look for a barber or stylist around that does a decent job for a moderate price?
>>
>>1174032
Project is a housing project where poor people are housed. They were excellent when they first opened but with the coming of drugs,crime and nonsense just flourished. You have dumb beefs with gangs and people from other projects. People will have no qualm about shooting at someone in a crowd and hitting an innocent bystander. Brownsville and East New York are the two most dangerous sections in NYC,not even Giulani tamed it. I suggest you look somewhere else or better yet look for a cheap hotel in the outer boroughs. Sharing apartments with temporary renters is illegal here despite Airbnb ads.
>>
>>1174131
Do you realize that there are tons of places with housing projects right next to where rich white people live?
>>
>>1174210
You don't worry about the rich ones. If you are a wide eyed tourist,you do not want to be a mark.
>>
>>1174238
I'm saying that the presence of projects doesn't mean the area is a no go, the projects on Avenue D in Alphabet City are like one block from a fully gentrified area, same with the Ingersoll Houses in Fort Greene, and many other places.

But Brownsville has a huge concentration of Housing projects, kinda seems like it takes up the whole neighborhood. Brownsville is probably the worst neighborhood in the whole city and one of the only I would actually tell a tourist to avoid.
>>
>>1167371
>any restaurant in Manhattan that isn't a food truck and/or in the Jewish Quarter

HURRRRRRRR
>>
>>1174642
that must have been b9
>>
I'm an Irishman from Dublin. I'd love to take a vacation to New York City once I have the cash. What is it like?

Further, I'm like 5'6" and pretty insecure about it. Would I be like a dwarf among giants over there?
>>
>>1175120
>choosing your travel destinations based on the height of the people that live there
Please, stop browsing 4chan (especially /fit/ if you go there) and consider seeing a therapist
>>
>>1175122
I don't go to /fit/

I go to /r9k/. I wasn't really self-conscious about the whole 'manlet' thing until I started going there.
>>
>>1175120
Psh, I'm a 5'4 New Yorker and some girls really like me
>>
>>1175120
Go on St. Patrick's day and people will love you. Just make sure you have enough money for the hotel. Forget about Airbnb,the city is starting to crack down hard on it.
>>
>>1175362
Airbnb can also be a rip off

I know a tourist who stayed in one in Brooklyn and they didn't even give her her own room. I'd rather just pay for a cheap motel.
>>
Bump, staying here for ten days with my family and bringing my gf along.
Dec 18-28, any advice on what to check out? We're asian so we'd like to check out china town, anything for an anime enthusiast?
Good places to get grub/see in general?
What are the "good" touristy things to do and the ones to skip?
Any advice would be appreciated!
>>
>>1175845
Kinokunya bookstore.
Book Off. Same but cheaper. Used stuff.
>>
I'm a New Yorker and I'm curious about Williamsburg nightlife, what streets have the best concentration of bars?
>>
>>1175845
Since you're coming around Christmas try to go to 5th avenue/ the macy's displays. There's nothing like it and check out the rockerfeller center ice rink too.

China town has a lot of amazing food there so it shouldn't be too hard to find some good stuff. An underrated spot is little Korea which is right near macy's/ herald square. They have some really good stuff there.

And for the love of god, stay out of time square. It's crowded and full of people in elmo costumes trying to steal your money. It's not worth your time.
>>
>>1164960
>Is the bohemian lifestyle still possible to lead in NYC?
yea it's called living in newark

>getting help from the government
hahahahahahahahaha

>$1500 in their pocket
ill see you on the corner with your cardboard sign with all these broke hipster train hopping trash
>>
>>1167792
going to katz and not 2nd ave
fucking transport fag

>>1167835
south of atlantic / safe
nope

>>1167911
corona, aint shit in jackson heights

astoria is gentrified to hell if you want the williamsburg lite shit

>>1168542
what, where do you people come from ?

>>1168784
loisaida

>>1169442
museums are free in wednesdays no one gicves a shit if you pay or not

>>1169516
all pizza is shit in manhattan authentic mexican food is in corona

>>1170578
you seriously dont know why they're on 3rd ? faggot

>>1171058
coyote ugly and subway bar has a real blue collar vibe. you'll see idiot tourist hop in to coyote it's hilarious

>>1171316
this dont ever line up for anything in new york unless you know someone who can get you in and comp bottles you're going to have a shit time in these tourist trend traps

>>1172134
why would you ever visit the north east in feb unless you like snowboarding the mountains here suck any way

>>1173058
no you're going to die hahaha wtf you're an idiot hope its cheap. im not even joking

>>1173805
google wbgo 88.3 fm they'll have everything you crave as far as jazz events in the city

>>1174106
go to chinatown or and latino barber any place with white people cutting your hair prepare to pay 50+. cutting hair is cutting hair if you want some douche cracker doing for you at a premium go for it

>>1174637
>implying you wont get robbed if you're a white retard looking tourist in the alphabet youre fucking retarded

>implying you wouldnt get robbed walking in williamsburg houses

stay in your lane faggot

>>1175845
asian ? flushing

>>1176467
>stay out of times square
>go to rockerfeller
you're a faggot
>>
>>1176644
>time square is shit year round
>rockerfeller at least has the skating rink and is near all the stuff on fifth anyway
>>
>>1176644
You are a retard, Alphabet City is totally gentrified except for Avenue D. And Jackson Heights has plenty of Latin food, plus Indian/South Asian food.
>>
Headed to NYC on Election Day:

Plan on doing Chinatown for dinner first night - not sure of what else to do but will figure it out.

Second day riding the LIRR out to Montauk and see what all is out that way, maybe do lunch. Back to the city and hit Silverlight Studios and Brooklyn in general. Peter Luger dinner or maybe Italian. A Show?

Third day Staten Island Ferry and hit up some dive place for cheap lunch - pizza unless I had Italian last night. Then check out of hotel ride the trains around a bit and head out to JFK.
>>
>>1176657
>implying niggas in the houses dont pop off
>implying niggas from the houses stay in the houses

https://maps.nyc.gov/crime/

more crimes per resident than east ny/brownsville transplant fag

>eating shit south asian food in jackson
heights

nigga i think you got elmhurst/hillsideave south queens confused with jackson heights go look at a fucking map or keep eating that half rate shit in jackson heights

>good latin food in jackson heights

congrats you went to pio pio once fucking idiot

pro tip el sol is better jackson heights is shit for food like 3 good restaurants.

confirmed for not having latino friends lol
>>
>>1176815
Bro do you live under a rock? Ave A in Alphabet City is one of the most popular spots for nightlife in the whole city. There are bars as far East as Ave C. It's not dangerous at all unless maybe you hang out on Ave D but even then that's unlikely.

Jackson Heights has a Little India around 74th st, and the fact that you think Elmhurst is in South Queens means you're geographically challenged.

Jackson Heights has a long ass strip of Mexican, Colombian, Peruvian, etc. restaurants on Roosevelt Ave, I highly doubt you've been to enough of them to write it off. I think you went to one place in Corona and think you're an expert on everything.
>>
>>1176767
Don't go to Montauk, the LIRR barely runs there, it's at least 3 hours from the city, and there's not much to see there IMO.
>>
Is New York really loosing its culture?

Many New Yorkers who've grown up in the city since the 70s - 90s and further back say the rich have uprooted the city it once was, dramatically gentrifying what once made NY, The Big Apple. It's happening fast, like London.
An example would be Harlem being turned into a new hipster spot where gimmick food stores keep opening up and rent prices are shooting through the roof of a once predominately Black American borough.

Any New Yorker's here to give their views? How has places like Brooklyn, The Bronx and Queens changed? What does the city represent to you now?
>>
>>1176951
I'm only 21 so I don't really remember pre-gentrification New York, but I'll say a lot has changed but some things aren't much different than in the 90s.

Rents have gone up dramatically citywide, even in non gentrifying areas. The cheapest 1 Bedroom apartments in The Bronx are like 1200 dollars per month now, when they were about 400 dollars less just 3 years ago.

Some neighborhoods have totally transformed, Williamsburg used to be run down to my understanding, but it is now gentrified as fuck and super expensive. The same thing happened to many other neighborhoods, like the Lower East Side in Manhattan. These neighborhorhoods have a lot of great dining options an.

The new hipster hotspot is Bushwick, the neighborhood next to Williamsburg. It is becoming gentrified but it is still rough around the edges. There other neighborhoods like this too.

And despite drastic increases in rents and property values, much of the city hasn't gentrified at all. I work in Springfield Gardens by JFK airport and while not a terrible neighborhood, it hasn't seen any gentrification at all.

Many neighborhoods are worse and you can tell you're definitely in the hood.

Two good things about gentrification are nightlife and food. Some of the most popular places for nightlife are the East Village, Lower East Side (both Manhattan) and Williamsburg in Brooklyn, these areas all used to be dumpy but are now gentrified as fuck and have a lot of great bars.

As for food, some ghetto areas have pretty much nothing but fast food, Chinese takeout, and bodegas (which have your typical deli stuff).

And then there are the neighborhoods which aren't ghetto but very ethnic and unlike white yuppy neighborhoods, such as Sunset Park, Jackson Heights, Elmhurst, etc. These neighborhoods have a lot of great Latin and or Asian food. The city has seen a huge amount of immigration from Latin America and Asia over the years and I welcome it.
>>
>>1176951
Continued:

I would say The Bronx hasn't changed much. Most of it is pretty run down looking, but it has gotten a lot safer over the years (some neighborhoods are still considered high crime, though).

The Southernmost part of The Bronx (Mott Haven, Port Morris) might see some gentrification as its close to Manhattan. It still looks pretty much the same to me as I imagine it would have 10 years ago, but we'll see in another 10 years.

One notable change in The Bronx is the increased Mexican population, for many years The Bronx's Hispanic population was mainly just Puerto Ricans and Dominicans, but there are a lot of Mexicans now. They've opened up some really good restaurants.

I actually want to buy property in The Bronx while it's still somewhat affordable. It would be an excellent idea to anyone who can afford it and can tolerate some grittiness.
>>
>>1176956
>>1176953
Nice analysis ,

What's with you and restaurants? Do NYorkers just eat food all day?
>>
Man do I not miss the smell of this place.

>>1177094
It's all they have since this Island is literally just restaurants and banking headquarters. Also it helps them justify the huge swarms of immigrants.
>>
>>1177094
Who doesn't love to eat?
>>
>>1176644
Half this shit is retarded
>>
>>1176951

I've lived in or near NYC my whole life and from what I can tell anyone who says "NYC is losing its culture!" is doublespeaking for "I think black culture is culture, and I think white culture is nothing".

It's not losing anything, it's just changing.
>>
>>1177249
I think it's more about class than race/ethnicity. It's not "white" culture that's taking over...it's just...money...

I think a lot of people see NYC as losing it's authenticity. Like, take the the whole swath of Manhattan from the East Village to the West Village. This used to be an exciting area where artists, musicians (white, black, whatever) hung out, created stuff, and lived lives we now think of as some sort of bohemian idyll.

Now there isn't much going on there as far as "the arts" and culture are concerned. Greenwich Village is not very exciting. It's "urban-quaint." And pretty gay.

But going back to the "race" thing...I mean, most if not all of the artists on the lower east side scene of the 80s were white...It's a multicultural thing.
>>
>>1173058
I don't know about the safety of the area, but I would look elsewhere anyway. I don't think there's going to be a lot you will want to see there. Plus, it's far from Manhattan.
>>
>>1177248
He seems like an idiot.

>>1177256
Yeah the city has become extremely expensive.

I think it's an issue that the cheapest 1 bedroom apartments in The Bronx, which still has a lot of poverty, are 1200+ dollars.

>>1177284
I don't think you have to stay right in Manhattan or Yuppy Brooklyn, though. I knew two different European female tourists who stayed in Flatbush and it worked out pretty well for them.

But yeah Brownsville or East New York is not a good option, in addition to being dangerous for NYC standards they are kinda far out (but not terribly so).
>>
>>1177256
NYC is only 33% white anyway. There are many parts of the city where you could walk around and not see a single white person.
>>
Does anyone else love The Bronx?

Its grittiness is so visually appealing to me. I actually want to move their once I have enough money to buy property.
>>
>>1177256
The East Village and Lower East Side are a lot of fun on Friday and Saturday night, though
>>
>>1177293
indeed. but that isn't really about having "culture." just good bars, and there are totally good bars in those areas.

i wasn't trying to shit on "the villages." the east village is my favorite neighborhood in manhattan.
>>
>>1177291
i was in fordham once...didn't love it. i have to go back, though. there's a Ghanaian restaurant up there I want to try.
>>
>>1163835

I met a girl who lives in new jersey, she is a latina and seems cool.

I should probably go to new york, but I can't just to go talk to her in the hopes of getting laid and having some sweet spring love, what are some nice night places I could hit in manhattan aswell?
>>
>>1177635
Good for you, I love Latinas

For sweet night spots, do you mean bars? If so, The East Village, Greenwich Village, Lower East Side, and Williamsburg (which is in Brooklyn) have a lot of good bars.
>>
>>1177679
Oops meant "nice night places" lol
>>
Is there any way to get from the Mineola station to Penn station and back with out almost spending twenty bucks?
>>
>>1177809
Take one of the NICE buses that goes to one of the subway stations in Jamaica. You can take the E to Penn from Jamaican Center or the F to Herald Square from 179th st.

That would be 2.75 each way, but if you transfer more than once (the subway in this case is your free transfer) it's another 2.75.
>>
Hi Trv, My gf and I will be in NY for 2 days (we are travelling from Chile, so it will be two nights on the plain and one in the city).
Could you please recommend me a good record shop? Hopefully focused on used vinyls.
Also, is there a place where i can find French products? Like Orangina, Chamonix, etc...
Thanks
>>
>>1178019
why would you go on vacation for one day?
>>
>>1178019
Record stores are dying like dinosaurs here. There are some though.
Barnes and Noble(record department)
Century 21(record department)
Academy(used records)
Rock and Soul
>>
>>1178289
That's not true exactly, big record stores have declined but smaller places that specialize in Vinyl can be found I'm sure.
>>
What other bookstores beside the Strand are worth going to in New York?
>>
>>1178453
Books of Wonder(if you have a kid or want to get something for niece or nephew,first edition Oz books).
Rizzoli
Book Off(used books,CDs,DVDs,manga)
Argosy
>>
How is nightlife in New York for a manlet. I'm 5"8, what's the average height of you Americans?
>>
>>1178686
400 pounds.
>>
>>1178262
we are celebrating our 3rd year together and wanted do it in another country. I work in an airline and the round trip for both is around 250usd, so it is not a big deal.
>>1178289
thanks for the info
>>
>>1178686
New York nightlife is really good

Average height in the US is 5'10, and at 5'8 you're really not short. I'm a real manlet and I get by.
>>
If you look younger then you can simply sleep in the university libraries. I slept in an empty lecture hall in Columbia.
>>
>>1178965
If you don't have enough money to get a cheap motel somewhere, you probably should hold off on the trip
>>
Any good hostels in NYC?

Because I have been looking and all the ones I found are shit.

There seems to be even one who houses homeless people and their stench permeates the place.

I mean, what the fuck
>>
>>1179039

Hostels arnt really a thing in the USA like they are everywhere else. Sorry.
>>
Hi I'm going to New York for the new year for 2 and a half weeks with my girlfriend.

Currently looking at 2 airbnbs in Brooklyn, one next to Grand St station (L train) and the other next to Franklin Av station (C train).

I was wondering which area has more things to do in walking distance and which is better for getting around the city.

The first one is in walking distance to Williamsburg and Bushwick but it seems that the C train is better than the L train in terms of getting around the city.

We will be doing typical tourist stuff like sightseeing, museums, bars and restaurants (any recommendations for rooftop bars would be appreciated).

Also would you recommend getting a travel pass for the subway? I assume we will be using it every day to travel around and so it would save money.
>>
>>1179057
One should not go on vacation in NYC if they need to penny pinch that hard
>>
>>1179174
Metrocard for the subway. Shoot in cash or credit card. Machines in every subway station. Some bodegas sell cards.
>>
>>1179174
I would go with the L train one, you could get to most places in Manhattan with just one transfer, plus Williamsburg itself is a really cool neighborhood IMO
>>
>>1179174
Williamsburg has some amazing eats so book the one near Grand. L goes to 14th and that has all the transfers you need to get around the city.
>>
>>1178019
i know rough trade has a store in williamsburg in brooklyn, they probably have more in manhattan but i don't know for sure.
>>
>>1179174
I've lived in NYC for four and a half years and end up on the L a few times a week. I could probably count the times I've been on the C on two hands. But, both will get you where you need to go, eventually

>>1178965
my bf works at the NYU library and trust me, you're not getting in there without an NYU id

idk about columbia tho

>>1178686
I know plenty of hipster brooklyn fuccbois under 5'5 that get tons of pussy

>>1178453
Bluestockings on Allen and Stanton in the LES if you want an experience like that feminist bookstore in Portlandia (it's really fun/funny desu)
Thread posts: 152
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.